So I was on a boat with limited to no internet. Did I miss anything?

Sperm Edwards

2 hours ago, Larz said:

The candidates are out there, but who would come here if the Jets just fired a coach after handing him a crap roster? 

I was a head hunter for years, $250k to $400k jobs. Top dogs that are in demand look at those things. They look for launching pad positions with ingredients in place to build on. Every team can offer money and the only unique aspect to the Jets job is a lot of former Jets wind up on TV  but that isn't important to a lot of people. 

If the Jets fired Bowles, with the 6th pick and no QBs on the roster, it would be the least desirable job by far. 

If they land a QB, and Bowles fails again, then you fire him because you can sell something 

The Jets assured this situation by publicly stating that the wins didn't matter, only progress. Then the media set the expectations of 0-16.

The only way Macc and Bowles get fired is if the team imploded to a top 2 pick, then you can say the improvements were not made and sell a coach on getting a shiny new QB. 

This season was a perfect storm of mediocrity. 

Thats a fair assessment.  It is countered by those who say there are only 32 jobs...   etc.  But I agree with you.

I think its bigger than that though.  I think Woody has developed the rep as in the loop and no real football guy wants to fully answer to Woody.  

2 hours ago, Larz said:

The candidates are out there, but who would come here if the Jets just fired a coach after handing him a crap roster? 

I was a head hunter for years, $250k to $400k jobs. Top dogs that are in demand look at those things. They look for launching pad positions with ingredients in place to build on. Every team can offer money and the only unique aspect to the Jets job is a lot of former Jets wind up on TV  but that isn't important to a lot of people. 

If the Jets fired Bowles, with the 6th pick and no QBs on the roster, it would be the least desirable job by far. 

If they land a QB, and Bowles fails again, then you fire him because you can sell something 

The Jets assured this situation by publicly stating that the wins didn't matter, only progress. Then the media set the expectations of 0-16.

The only way Macc and Bowles get fired is if the team imploded to a top 2 pick, then you can say the improvements were not made and sell a coach on getting a shiny new QB. 

And this entire mess could have been avoided had management simply gone the extra mile with tanking.

Dont sign Josh M this past summer and give the QB job to Petty and Hack. The Jets would have won a MAX of 3 games - thats inarguable and right now we would have the second pick in the draft. 

The second pick in a year with some excellent QB prospects, a ton of cap space = a far more desirable landing spot for any coach or GM. 

But no, the Jets needed to sign the old veteran to lead them to 5 wins. Bravo!

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just want to check, before resuming discussion about how Bowles and Maccagnan should both be fired this month for their documented, repeated failures.

So what did I miss? How’d Petty and Hackenberg look in that last game?

I don’t know how long you’ve been under a rock...errr on a boat, but we had that Y2K bug and oh, there’s this Canadian sh*tbag singer that every teenager loves. Gay marriage is also legalized so that solves half your problems. 

48 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

And this entire mess could have been avoided had management simply gone the extra mile with tanking.

Dont sign Josh M this past summer and give the QB job to Petty and Hack. The Jets would have won a MAX of 3 games - thats inarguable and right now we would have the second pick in the draft. 

The second pick in a year with some excellent QB prospects, a ton of cap space = a far more desirable landing spot for any coach or GM. 

But no, the Jets needed to sign the old veteran to lead them to 5 wins. Bravo!

Agreed. They had the perfect set up, play petty then hack. 

You either develop a young QB or get draft position to find another one 

So let me get this straight, the Jets now have Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan under contract through the 2020 season? As in, 10 wins under dream settings, followed by 5 wins, then 5 wins again, and Chris Johnson - or perhaps Woody from England to Chris - said, "Good show old chap, let's give us some more of that."

This happened. This is a thing that happened. For real.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

you are a very dedicated employee.  i'd hire you in a second.  Your few precious internet minutes and you didn't check the stats of your favorite football team.  :-)

If I logged into JN, to get details beyond a simple final score I could get anywhere, Mrs. Sperm would have thrown me overboard.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:10 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Just want to check, before resuming discussion about how Bowles and Maccagnan should both be fired this month for their documented, repeated failures.

So what did I miss? How’d Petty and Hackenberg look in that last game?

go back on the boat

On 4/1/2018 at 12:49 PM, Larz said:

With your help, I have finally figured out why Bowles has not played Hackenberg! It's not because Hackenberg is not any good, in fact folks he is wildly, out of this world talented.

If Bowles had let Hackenberg see playing time in the regular season, he would have revealed the world class talent that Hackenberg obviously has; the coaching job would immediately become attractive to the top NFL candidates and therefore Bowles is now eminently fireable.

Archived