Outside of Top5 QBs in Draft, who are the 'sleepers' that wont be 1st Round but have 'the goods'?

SouthernJet

Is there a Brady out there? Who are the non top 5 QBs who folks in the know think have the ability to someday be a every week starter and possible Top10 NFL QB? Any? Maybe Mac knows something and will take that OffLineman or that Top Pasrusher or RB w/6th pick.

24 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Faulk is very impressive.

Mike White from W Kentucky is a 6th Round flyer but he is interesting.

Riley Ferguson has a good frame. Needs to bulk up but I like his skill set.

Drew Lock is intriguing.

Thanks great info. I dont know extent of your XsOs, but any of above GREAT at Progression reads and using the mini circle of the pocket to buy a few extra reads?

56 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Is there a Brady out there? Who are the non top 5 QBs who folks in the know think have the ability to someday be a every week starter and possible Top10 NFL QB? Any? Maybe Mac knows something and will take that OffLineman or that Top Pasrusher or RB w/6th pick.

Funnily enough Luke Falk reminds me a little bit of Brady, whether he gets anywhere near to being as successful as a pro is highly unlikely but physically there are a lot of similarities, Brady has never been renowned for having a cannon for an arm but it’s been plenty good enough and of course his accuracy and decision making are second to none. Falk has a good arm but won’t wow like a Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson. Accuracy is outstanding and decision making seem decent

look out also for late rounders like Logan Woodside(Toledo) and Jeremiah Briscoe(Sam Houston State)

assuming you top 5 is Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen then you need to look at Mason Rudolph(OSU)and, if he declares, Ryan Finley(NC State)

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Faulk is very impressive.

Mike White from W Kentucky is a 6th Round flyer but he is interesting.

Riley Ferguson has a good frame. Needs to bulk up but I like his skill set.

Drew Lock is intriguing.

I was about to write all three of these guys.  White has the stats.  He’s a little raw but I could see him at worst, a capable back up.

Drew Lock has a big arm and his tendency to throw down field often hurt his completion percentage.

I really like Ferguson.  When he beat UCLA, he was the better QB in that game.  Memphis only lost two close games to UCF.

If we cant sign Cousins, trade up for Rosen or Darnold, Ferguson is the guy I would target.

18 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Thanks great info. I dont know extent of your XsOs, but any of above GREAT at Progression reads and using the mini circle of the pocket to buy a few extra reads?

Luke Falk goes through his progressions more than the other two. But here’s some quick read ups on all of them.

Luke Falk:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.profootballweekly.com/articles/2017/05/18/489394e7369c448d983138825069a956/

Falk has a quick overhand delivery and spins the ball well with good velocity. He can make any NFL-type throw. Though NFL-type throws are not a real part of the Washington State offense, you see enough of them to know he can make those throws. He has good-to-real good overall arm strength and can easily throw the ball accurately down field 50 to 55 yards.

The Washington State offense is a fast-paced spread scheme but not really a half-field offense. Falk is able to go through a minor progression and is a consistently good decision-maker. He will force some throws, but the numbers show that he does not turn the ball over that often.

Falk's biggest problem once he gets to the NFL will be adapting to NFL style offense and learning to play from under center. He holds the ball high and has a tight throwing motion. He can get the ball out of his hands quickly once he makes a decision.

Mike White:

1/4/18: White completed 66 percent of his passes in 2017 for 4,177 yards with 26 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Sources say they are grading White as a very late-rounder or undrafted free agent. They think he has good size and accuracy, sees the field pretty well, and is smart. They also believe, however, that his arm strength and below-average athleticism give him a ceiling as a third-string quarterback in the NFL. In 2016, White completed 67 percent of his passes for 4,363 yards with 37 touchdowns and seven interceptions.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#ixzz53FfNDR7

Drew Lock:

Lock is a gunslinger-style quarterback who has a big arm with the ability to throw any pass. However, he needs to improve his accuracy, field vision, and the speed at which he works through progressions. Lock can be prone to overthrows, plus can put too much heat on some passes. Lock has good size and can fit the pass into tight windows. He throws the ball well downfield and shows some timing and anticipation. Lock does have the propensity to force throws to covered wideouts as he can trust his arm too much to beat tight coverage. He also has some mobility.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#ixzz53FgIX1VY

This is an article from before the 2017 season:

Heupel is somewhat hamstrung by his quarterback. Lock lacks nuance. He’s a power thrower who delivers fastballs on every throw and hasn’t shown the ability to bounce through multiple progressions. When the predetermined throw is there, and he’s launching the ball down the field, he looks like a superstar.

Lock needs to get better on second-level “bucket” throws — where he’ll have to alter his trajectories and the velocity of his delivery. [...]

Those physical traits handcuff Heupel and the offense to some extent, but it’s from the neck up that Mizzou really needs to see improvement — most notably his eyes, which often limit the offense to being half-field read only.

If Lock can improve his feel within the pocket, the offense can expand and be far more consistent against better competition.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rockmnation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/31/15135248/drew-lock-missouri-football-scouting-report-2017

His numbers the year after this article. 58% 3,945 yards 44 TDS/14 INT

Riley Ferguson: 

Ferguson needs to improve his field vision for the NFL. He consistently locks onto his primary read and stares him down. When Ferguson rolls out of the pocket, his field vision improves and he looks beyond his first read. It isn't surprising that Ferguson needs more development considering his limited playing experience, and he was wise to return for his senior year to develop his pocket passing before going pro. 2017, Ferguson completed 63 percent of his passes for 4,257 yards with 36 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He connected on 23-of-38 passes for 398 yards with six touchdowns and an interception to lead Memphis to a high-scoring, three-point win over UCLA.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#ixzz53FiLmnMC

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Drew Lock:

Lock is a gunslinger-style quarterback who has a big arm with the ability to throw any pass. However, he needs to improve his accuracy, field vision, and the speed at which he works through progressions. Lock can be prone to overthrows, plus can put too much heat on some passes. Lock has good size and can fit the pass into tight windows. He throws the ball well downfield and shows some timing and anticipation. Lock does have the propensity to force throws to covered wideouts as he can trust his arm too much to beat tight coverage. He also has some mobility.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#ixzz53FgIX1VY

This is an article from before the 2017 season:

Heupel is somewhat hamstrung by his quarterback. Lock lacks nuance. He’s a power thrower who delivers fastballs on every throw and hasn’t shown the ability to bounce through multiple progressions. When the predetermined throw is there, and he’s launching the ball down the field, he looks like a superstar.

Lock needs to get better on second-level “bucket” throws — where he’ll have to alter his trajectories and the velocity of his delivery. [...]

Those physical traits handcuff Heupel and the offense to some extent, but it’s from the neck up that Mizzou really needs to see improvement — most notably his eyes, which often limit the offense to being half-field read only.

If Lock can improve his feel within the pocket, the offense can expand and be far more consistent against better competition.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rockmnation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/31/15135248/drew-lock-missouri-football-scouting-report-2017

His numbers the year after this article. 58% 3,945 yards 44 TDS/14 INT

Lock is a Bryce Petty clone.

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

My avatar if he comes out.  He say to make his decision within the next couple of days.

22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Barrett

OK so I know I will get blasted for saying this but I watched a lot of college football this past year because of the expecting high draft pick for the Jets.

Watching them, I often saw a lot of similarities between Mayfield and JT Barrett. From what I saw I felt that Barrett would have put up similar numbers if he started for OK. Honestly feel they are very similar

1 minute ago, legler82 said:

Especially in the Spread.

Only one i’d love early outside of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield is Falk..

And only would really consider it if we already have cousins and Billy Price is gone. I would possibly go QB-HB with our two 2nds. Or hope he’s in the 3rd..which he won’t be.

Luke Falk, who has been mentioned. Could climb his way up into first round discussion if he works out well. 

I watch a lot of Sun Belt football and these two have been on my radar for years. 

Matt Linehan, Idaho, Son of Offensive Co-Ordinator Scott Linehan. Plays in a pro-style offense with good accuracy, size and arm strength. 

Brandon Silvers, Troy, 4-year starter who is an accurate QB with quick release, has played some big games including W over LSU this year. Invite to the Senior Bowl may help his draft stock. 

The guy I liked was Northwestern's Clayton Thorson. Big guy, nice arm, and all the tools. He elected to stay in and tore up his knee in the Music City Bowl. A really bad break. Northwestern's 2018 schedule is a monster and if he had a good year he would have shot up the draft boards. I wish him well in his recovery and hope he makes it back.

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Barrett

17 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

OK so I know I will get blasted for saying this but I watched a lot of college football this past year because of the expecting high draft pick for the Jets.

Watching them, I often saw a lot of similarities between Mayfield and JT Barrett. From what I saw I felt that Barrett would have put up similar numbers if he started for OK. Honestly feel they are very similar

JT Barrett is atrocious and isn't anything close to Baker Mayfield. Many  OSU fans are happy he is leaving. 

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Unless any of these guys are a double dip I don't want them. sick of settling for that 2nd or 3rd tier guy.

I guess if we are singing Cousins or something but otherwise it better be plan E,F, G

Agreed. These guys are fine mid-late picks if we sign Cousins. But we can't come out of this offseason with Mccown/Hack and a random "project" at QB. Although, I think Falk may find his way into the 1st round. This time last year no one thought Pat Mahommes was going as high as he went. Teams like Arizona/Washington/Ravens/Chargers may not be able to trade up, may not like Lamar Jackson, and if guys like Mayfield/Allen/Rosen/Darnold are all gone, a kid like Falk (or Lock/Rudolph etc..) could sneak into the middle of the first round when most project them for 2-4th round picks.  

18 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Funnily enough Luke Falk reminds me a little bit of Brady, whether he gets anywhere near to being as successful as a pro is highly unlikely but physically there are a lot of similarities, Brady has never been renowned for having a cannon for an arm but it’s been plenty good enough and of course his accuracy and decision making are second to none. Falk has a good arm but won’t wow like a Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson. Accuracy is outstanding and decision making seem decent

look out also for late rounders like Logan Woodside(Toledo) and Jeremiah Briscoe(Sam Houston State)

assuming you top 5 is Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen then you need to look at Mason Rudolph(OSU)and, if he declares, Ryan Finley(NC State)

Finley is definitely on my radar. Seems a little more accurate than Stidham, but has a tendency to hold the ball too long. Didn't watch too much of him, so I'm admittedly going off a couple games.

21 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

If there is Mac definitely won’t find him 

I am almost inclined on trading back in the first round (NOT TOO FAR), picking up some assets, signing a vet and drafting Luke Falk.  As much as I fell in love with Mayfield earlier in the year, I just don't trust his development.  Rosen has had reports of night being liked in the locker room, he comes across as standoffish at times in interviews, and here is the kicker: MULTIPLE concussions already, and a rebuilt shoulder.

Falk has a decent arm, and his accuracy has been praised.  With a short passing game, that would be kind of important (as evidenced by Petty's inability to throw an accurate ball and Hack's reported inability to hit anything)

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

No more mid to late round QB projects...we went that route (See: Smith, Petty, Hackenboiger) and it has not panned out.  Go big or go home!

If the Jets are smart and cut ties with Petty. That leaves Hack as the only QB on the roster, picking up a late round QB may be a good idea regardless of what we do in FA or early in the draft. I am in agreement that going the 2nd round and pray method that the Jets have been doing isnt the answer. We should take a late round flier for a backup potential spot starter. 

22 hours ago, Pcola said:

I was about to write all three of these guys.  White has the stats.  He’s a little raw but I could see him at worst, a capable back up.

Drew Lock has a big arm and his tendency to throw down field often hurt his completion percentage.

I really like Ferguson.  When he beat UCLA, he was the better QB in that game.  Memphis only lost two close games to UCF.

If we cant sign Cousins, trade up for Rosen or Darnold, Ferguson is the guy I would target.

I agree that Ferguson was the better QB against UCLA that day. If no Rosen, Darnold (which is pretty much certain), it would be sensible for Jets to pick up 2 QB's in the draft -- Rudolf and Ferguson would be a good combo to build for the future.

52 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I agree that Ferguson was the better QB against UCLA that day. If no Rosen, Darnold (which is pretty much certain), it would be sensible for Jets to pick up 2 QB's in the draft -- Rudolf and Ferguson would be a good combo to build for the future.

I’m a little puzzled by Rudolph.  He has tons of experience, huge stats but everything I have read has most of the scouts are down on him.

Claiming accuracy and arm strength.  But these scouts allegedly have Allen rated 3rd despite looking much much worse.

49 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I’m a little puzzled by Rudolph.  He has tons of experience, huge stats but everything I have read has most of the scouts are down on him.

Claiming accuracy and arm strength.  But these scouts allegedly have Allen rated 3rd despite looking much much worse.

He gets dinged because he has very good receivers and a respected coach, as well as complaints about his arm strength, even though he has done well on downfield passing. He's got size, character, stats to be in the top group. and I agree that Allen seems to get a pass because of his big arm but shoddy stats and accuracy. Who knows?

15 hours ago, Pcola said:

Can't understand it either. Rudolph passed the eye test for me. Like you said... tall, big arm and accurate. Not sure why he's not mentioned as a possible 1st rounder.

Btw, I have no problem with the Jets taking a LT in the 1st round and then trading up into the backend of the 1st round to grab a qb (Rudolph or Faulk). Even if that means giving up their late 2nd rounder (from Seattle).

Our O-line needs to be a priority.

5 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Can't understand it either. Rudolph passed the eye test for me. Like you said... tall, big arm and accurate. Not sure why he's not mentioned as a possible 1st rounder.

Btw, I have no problem with the Jets taking a LT in the 1st round and then trading up into the backend of the 1st round to grab a qb (Rudolph or Faulk). Even if that means giving up their late 2nd rounder (from Seattle).

Our O-line needs to be a priority.

Rudolph and Milton had the most impressive bowl games of any QB prospects, particularly for the defenses they faced

Rumor w/all the Spread systems in College, the Jets feel the future is w/a running, throwing while leaping unknown QB. His name is Jasper Jackovman. He used GI Bill and is 34 and played for SouthWestNorthernMiddleEastern Bible College. The Jets think taking hiom at #6 is the move cause they heard a Pats Beer Vendor say "Belichick likes this kid also"

6a01348829760c970c01b8d2c19b8e970c-320wi

Archived