NFL ratings down again in 2017

faba

50 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Get rid of all the political bullsh*t and stupid celebrations as well as the awful reviews and it might get better.   

For me it's the rules. So many rules. Nobody knows what they are. The refs determine almost every game. Even Pats vs. Jets...yeah absolutely the Pats are a much better team and should and would have won regardless...but most the Pats points came on penalties keeping drives alive and getting the ball down field. It's just almost every game I watch. The only ones I torture myself through are Jets games now. I haven't watched a full NFL in two years probably and only if it's on around company of some sort. Maybe playoffs if it's close but then I usually get turned off by the same sh*t. The other stuff is just cherry on top. I don't really care about it but it doesn't make me miss it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Pac said:

The standing thing is so tired and overblown..  polls show that issue is not having that much of an impact.  

It's the commercials, terrible calls, and people getting tired of seeing the Pats get everything handed to them.

People act like the NFL is failing but it's still far and away the most popular sport in the country.  Nothing else comes close.

Can only speak for myself, but I know a lot of people that aren't watching the NFL over the kneeling.   A local sports bar near me had a special in November on Vets weekend.  It was a no kneeling, no football Sunday.   Place was packed.  Manager told me later they did 3x their normal take.  Just saying

57 minutes ago, Larz said:

That's a huge number 

Personally, not feeling like you can celebrate a touchdown until you see the replay, not knowing what a catch is and obvious favoritism in the scheduling for the flagship teams are all my turnoffs 

These are the key things...

The NFL went into bed with FF, went away from its base and this is the result....

Those downplaying the kneeling aspect are living in a bubble IMO. I live on the beach in Alabama and the NFL, while still football, isnt close to college football in terms of popularity. Our tourists come from the Southeast and Midwest mostly. Now mix a people who are mostly conservative with a sport they arent hardcore about and add in some politics and there you have it. 

Every football fan is sick & tired of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft & the Patriots. I watched at least 4 games they could have lost without the slanted referee calls. No team in the history of this game get PI calls in big spots in the 3rd & long then the Patriots. 

Then on top of it their Oline very rarely gets an offensive holding call. I believe Brady threw 53 times in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl without 1 holding call, sorry, I call bullsh*t!

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

For me it's the rules. So many rules. Nobody knows what they are. The refs determine almost every game. Even Pats vs. Jets...yeah absolutely the Pats are a much better team and should and would have won regardless...but most the Pats points came on penalties keeping drives alive and getting the ball down field. It's just almost every game I watch. The only ones I torture myself through are Jets games now. I haven't watched a full NFL in two years probably and only if it's on around company of some sort. Maybe playoffs if it's close but then I usually get turned off by the same sh*t. The other stuff is just cherry on top. I don't really care about it but it doesn't make me miss it.

I was referring to the rules when I said reviews.  Both are a joke. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Can only speak for myself, but I know a lot of people that aren't watching the NFL over the kneeling.   A local sports bar near me had a special in November on Vets weekend.  It was a no kneeling, no football Sunday.   Place was packed.  Manager told me later they did 3x their normal take.  Just saying

And where might that be?  Another small town where everybody shares the same skin color, language and religion;  100 miles from the nearest speck of diversity?

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I was referring to the rules when I said reviews.  Both are a joke. 

It's amazing that the Pats were involved in 3 TDs against that were overturned in big spots. Add in a holding flag on the Pats LB vs the Texans that was picked up & would have closed the game out for Houston. From the dumbest call in the history of sports (tuck rule), to Brady throwing 63 times with 1 first quarter holding call in the Super Bowl fans outside of New England are just tired of biased slant towards the Patriots.

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

S/E Florida.  Most of the people I know are from NY or NJ.  

Well then, that's a shame. Most of the people you know are too stupid to realize that this entire thing is being used by a con man as a distraction and to further divide the country, instead of trying to unite and heal it.  Like a leader is supposed to...

Not to mention his highness' vindictive nature, and the axe he has to grind with the NFL for locking him out...

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Not a good idea to piss off a chunk of the prime demo for you product.  

But the arbitrary way the rules are enforced, the endless replays and commercials are as big a problem. 

Score, PAT, commercial, kickoff, commercial, TV time out every mid quarter...it't too much.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Well then, that's a shame. Most of the people you know are too stupid to realize that this entire thing is being used by a con man as a distraction and to further divide the country, instead of trying to unite and heal it.  Like a leader is supposed to...

AAAAh, so if somebody doesn't agree with your agenda, or politician, they are stupid.  Got cha 

Still, things could be worse for the NFL. It could be Nascar. A decade ago the sport emerged as an unlikely challenger to pro football’s small-screen primacy, attracting nearly 20 million viewers to the 2006 Daytona 500. But Nascar has lost more than 45% of its audience since then, according to Nielsen. What’s more, equally dismal live spectator figures have compelled some tracks to remove seats from their grandstands. Denny Hamlin, a star Nascar driver, has made his peace with this. “People with smartphones, they’re rewatching races in the back of their car going up the highway,” he said back in April. “You don’t have to attend these races anymore. You get such a good experience through your cellphone, so the way we measure attendance and we measure TV ratings and all that’s always skewed because we live in a different world now.”

Seems the common denominator is that hillbillies can’t afford cable.

6 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

There was no kneeling issue last year when the NFL lost 7% of their viewership. So the kneeling is nowhere near the core of the problem.

What?? There absolutely was a kneeling problem last year, it all started last year

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

AAAAh, so if somebody doesn't agree with your agenda, or politician, they are stupid.  Got cha 

Perhaps they are questioning the wrong agenda?  Instead of the players, maybe they should wonder why the guy leading the charge might pick a fight with the NFL?  Maybe because he wasn't allowed to buy a team? Maybe because he played a role in the USFL? Maybe because he once sued the NFL?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Still, things could be worse for the NFL. It could be Nascar. A decade ago the sport emerged as an unlikely challenger to pro football’s small-screen primacy, attracting nearly 20 million viewers to the 2006 Daytona 500. But Nascar has lost more than 45% of its audience since then, according to Nielsen. What’s more, equally dismal live spectator figures have compelled some tracks to remove seats from their grandstands. Denny Hamlin, a star Nascar driver, has made his peace with this. “People with smartphones, they’re rewatching races in the back of their car going up the highway,” he said back in April. “You don’t have to attend these races anymore. You get such a good experience through your cellphone, so the way we measure attendance and we measure TV ratings and all that’s always skewed because we live in a different world now.”

NASCAR is literally the stupidest sh*t ever, a bunch of red necks making left turns. I’ll never for th life of me get that crap.

The biggest issue is the product. How many great games did we look forward to this year? How many great games actually happened? This is a QB driven league and there arent enough QBs on this planet. 

The kneeling as a main driver of lower ratings? If thats the truth then I feel bad for our country because that would mean those same people overlooked far worse and still watched over the years. For instance, NFL owners hid the truth about concussions from their players - Thats OK! Player violence against women- Thats fine too! But kneeling made people stop watching. SMH....

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

NASCAR is literally the stupidest sh*t ever, a bunch of red necks making left turns. I’ll never for th life of me get that crap.

You're part right.  The fans of the sport are rednecks.  The drivers make left turns.  But many of the drivers themselves aren't rednecks.  I have never watched a race.  I think it is hillbilly sh*t too. But what those drivers do is extraordinarily difficult.  The level of physical and especially mental exhaustion they go through during a race cannot be overstated.

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Perhaps they are questioning the wrong agenda?  Instead of the players, maybe they should wonder why the guy leading the charge might pick a fight with the NFL?  Maybe because he wasn't allowed to buy a team? Maybe because he played a role in the USFL? Maybe because he once sued the NFL?

Sorry your bitter, but we should probably discuss this over at the Huffington post

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Seems the common denominator is that hillbillies can’t afford cable.

Add to that a generation of kids that don't buy, they rent, share or stream. They are going to change the economy. I don't know any young kids on their own with a $250 Comcast plan, that includes the kids making good money. 

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Sorry your bitter, but we should probably discuss this over at the Huffington post

Funny... I will give you that one.

Perhaps you could then point your friends towards the Narcissistic Personality Disorder section of the American Journal of Psychiatry.  Maybe some behaviors might fit the profile?

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Funny... I will give you that one.

Perhaps you could then point your friends towards the Narcissistic Personality Disorder section of the American Journal of Psychiatry.  Maybe some behaviors might fit the profile.

Bro look, I was replying to a post why the rating have dropped 18% since last year.  People are pissed and decided to not contribute to the behavior.  No doubt  that it's a factor in the decline. 

If that offends you some how that you get all upset that people have different views then yours, perhaps you should take your own advise.

I'm done with the conversation because the direction it is heading is forbidden on the board, and is one of the few things that actually upsets Maxx.

The reasons the NFL is losing long time fans;

1) Cuban was right about oversaturation.

2) Rule changes have made it difficult to; 

--win without a QB.

--play defense.

3) Flags

4) Flags

5) over analyzing replays

6) Fans of 31 teams tired of the Cheats

7) Flags

8) Games take too long.

9) People dropping cable left and right.

10) Hard to watch those formerly exciting big hits.  Now that we know the guy on the receiving end may struggle to walk up the stairs, or remember why he decided to in the first place.

11) many other reasons...

39 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

What?? There absolutely was a kneeling problem last year, it all started last year

No, there wasn't.  Kaepernick and a very few others were doing it and it was getting little attention from fans.  If that was enough to drop the viewership by 7% last season, then the much greater numbers of players doing it now and the attention it is presently getting should have dropped the viewership by 40% or more.

26 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

No, there wasn't.  Kaepernick and a very few others were doing it and it was getting little attention from fans.  If that was enough to drop the viewership by 7% last season, then the much greater numbers of players doing it now and the attention it is presently getting should have dropped the viewership by 40% or more.

I don’t know where you were while all this was going on....

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

You're part right.  The fans of the sport are rednecks.  The drivers make left turns.  But many of the drivers themselves aren't rednecks.  I have never watched a race.  I think it is hillbilly sh*t too. But what those drivers do is extraordinarily difficult.  The level of physical and especially mental exhaustion they go through during a race cannot be overstated.

Yeah, the hot dog eating fools have incredible skills and physical and mental exhaustion too, still stupid ass sh*t 

1 hour ago, KINGDIRK said:

The kneeling as a main driver of lower ratings? If thats the truth then I feel bad for our country because that would mean those same people overlooked far worse and still watched over the years. For instance, NFL owners hid the truth about concussions from their players - Thats OK! Player violence against women- Thats fine too! But kneeling made people stop watching. SMH....

Big Ben was accused of raping multiple women..  eh..  no biggie..  those broads are probably lying.

But do you believe this Colin Crapernick and his "uppity" buddies having the balls to kneel when they singin' murrrricas anthem?!  If they don't like it they can gtfo of my country...  *spits a mouthful of Kodiak on the patio*

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I don’t know where you were while all this was going on....

To repeat:  Last year in 2016, Kaepernick and only a handful of other players knelt during the anthem.  It did not receive much attention in the press, it was largely a nonissue.   This season, the number of players kneeling during the anthem increased many times over, and the media attention to it has also drastically intensified.  The president was dwelling on it during speeches.  Yet league viewership decreased only slightly more than last year.

If the decline in viewership was driven by the kneeling, then this year the viewership drop this year should be approaching 40%, not 9%. 

Archived