another qb, andy dalton?

rangerous

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs are open to trading Alex Smith in the offseason.

The dots have connected to this ever since the Chiefs traded up for Patrick Mahomes in the first round of last April's draft. Smith has just one year left on his deal through 2018 with a $20.6 million cap hit, and the cap-strapped Chiefs can clear $17 million of that by shedding Smith. However, Smith is coming off arguably his best season as a pro and is still theoretically in the prime of his career at 33 years old. He could be the best quarterback on the market if Kirk Cousins sticks in D.C. RapSheet mentions the Browns, Cardinals, Broncos, Jets, Jaguars, and Bills as potential suitors for Smith, who could fetch the Chiefs multiple draft picks.

Source: NFL.com 
Jan 6 - 12:22 PM

Look, Dalton is not my first choice. But he's had good seasons. I understand the philosophy here about him not being capable of going to or winning a SB because of Bengals post season struggles. Some of that recently because of dumb mistakes of some other guys that lost them at least one playoff game. It could be a Bengals thing not a Dalton thing. So to say he is not capable of going to a SB I just don't buy it. Not too many good Qbs have even been to a SB. You can't plan a team strategy on winning it. You plan to make the playoffs and then be competitive in post season games. And hope that things go right for you, you get the breaks, your team is hot, etc. If you study SB wins you know the unexpected happens. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look, Dalton is not my first choice. But he's had good seasons. Look, I understand the philosophy here about him not being capable of going to or winning a SB because of Bengals post season struggles. Some of that recently because of dumb mistakes of some other guys that lost them at least one playoff game. It could be a Bengals thing not a Dalton thing. So to say he is not capable of going to a SB I just don't buy it. Not too many good Qbs have even been to a SB. You can't plan a team strategy on winning it. You plan to make the playoffs and then be competitive in post season games. And hope that things go right for you, you get the breaks, your team is hot, etc. If you study SB wins you know the unexpected happens. 

+1

I'd agree. His college resume validates your argument:

"In the 2009 season, Dalton led the Horned Frogs to a perfect 12–0 regular season, a Mountain West Conference Championship, a #6 ranking in the AP Poll, and a BCS berth. The Horned Frogs lost 17–10 in the Fiesta Bowl to Boise State.

On September 4, 2010, Dalton recorded his thirtieth victory as the Horned Frogs starting quarterback, passing Sammy Baugh as TCU's all-time wins leader. Against Baylor, Dalton completed 21 of 23 pass attempts (a career-best and single game record 91.3%) for 267 yards and two touchdowns.[9] His team won a second consecutive Mountain West Conference Championship. On January 1, 2011, Dalton, who completed 194 of 293 passes for 2638 yards for 26 touchdowns during his senior season, led his team to a 21–19 victory over #4 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. His TCU football team finished the season with a perfect 13–0 record and #2 ranking in the AP Poll. Auburn, the only other team with a perfect record, won the BCS National Championship that year."

15 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs are open to trading Alex Smith in the offseason.

The dots have connected to this ever since the Chiefs traded up for Patrick Mahomes in the first round of last April's draft. Smith has just one year left on his deal through 2018 with a $20.6 million cap hit, and the cap-strapped Chiefs can clear $17 million of that by shedding Smith. However, Smith is coming off arguably his best season as a pro and is still theoretically in the prime of his career at 33 years old. He could be the best quarterback on the market if Kirk Cousins sticks in D.C. RapSheet mentions the Browns, Cardinals, Broncos, Jets, Jaguars, and Bills as potential suitors for Smith, who could fetch the Chiefs multiple draft picks.

Ugh, giving up a draft pick to pay this meh arm $20M? No thanks. Don't really see the Chiefs trading him to Denver, either, unless they agree with me regarding his low ceiling. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Ugh, giving up a draft pick to pay this meh arm $20M? No thanks. Don't really see the Chiefs trading him to Denver, either, unless they agree with me regarding his low ceiling. 

Pats shipped Bledsoe to the Bills. 

Eagles shipped McNabb to the Redskins. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Reread the words you bolded above, particularly those after "either."

For what? Not my fault you don't get the point of my post.

I stated 2 teams that traded their starting QB to a division rival and, as any football fan knows how it played out, those teams were correct in trading away those QBs by getting assets while also weakening a division rival at the same time. Think harder, I don't need to "reread" anything. 

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

For what? Not my fault you don't get the point of my post.

I stated to 2 teams that traded their starting QB to a division rival and, as any football fans knows, those teams were correct in trading away those QBs by getting assets while also weakening a division rival at the same time. Think harder, I don't need to "reread" anything. 

Lol, okay. You just reiterated my point, then, while appearing to disagree. Cool. If he's traded to the Broncos, it will make me that much more happy the Jets didn't "win" that bidding war. 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Certain QBs can bring a good team to the SB other QBs are just part of a really good team otherwise they would be in the SB. 

Agree.  That's not what was said.  Just playing either way

It's not easy building a team for a SB win because you have a lot of competition. Most teams are pretty close in terms of overall personnel esp the 12 that make the playoffs. In Dec and Jan a lot has to do with which team is hot and which team is healthy. And the way the ball bounces in a playoff game.  Plus which team on that day comes to play. All good teams can come out flat at any time of the year. Even the Patriots have significant weaknesses and holes and try to balance this out over the course of a season. So to me it's almost impossible to build a team to win a Super Bowl. I think you build a team so you can compete for a Super Bowl. In other words you have to make the playoffs first. And that includes teams with very good franchise Qbs like Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, etc. 

Why would the Bengals part with him in the first place? He's under a reasonable contract, the team is in no position to upgrade their QB situation. They should ride it out with the red head at least until one of those things is no longer true.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Dalton would be a very Jetsy signing but there is something to be said about being the QB that led the Bengals, I repeat, the Bengals! to 4 straight double digit win seasons and 5 playoff berths.  Granted he lost them all but still.

I could see Dalton in a McCown type role while we develop a QB not named Hack or Petty. 

We have no idea who our QB is next year......

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Why would the Bengals part with him in the first place? He's under a reasonable contract, the team is in no position to upgrade their QB situation. They should ride it out with the red head at least until one of those things is no longer true.

Agree this is fake news

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Multiple draft picks for Alex Smith?  33 yo with one yr left on his deal at $20+ million?  Maybe if it's 5th-7th rd DPs they'd get multiple picks.

Then again, I wouldn't hate the idea of Smith on the NYJ on a one-yr $20 mill deal IF AND ONLY IF we still get a 1st rd QB in the draft.

Archived