Jets beat 3 playoff teams this season. What does that say about us?

Freemanm

The big knock on the Jets during that 10-6 season with Suckpatrick is that they didn't play any good teams. This season the Jets beat three playoff bound teams - Jax, KC and the Bills. Call those games lucky, but the Jets won nevertheless. Does that show we can make a serious run next year with a good QB?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is encouraging. I was at Metlife when they crushed Dolphins and came back to beat Chiefs. This Jets team plays hard. But I don't like two things. First, we play great at home but bad on the road. Two, not sure if Bowles has enough in game adjustments in him. 

4 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

The big knock on the Jets during that 10-6 season with Suckpatrick is that they didn't play any good teams. This season the Jets beat three playoff bound teams - Jax, KC and the Bills. Call those games lucky, but the Jets won nevertheless. Does that show we can make a serious run next year with a good QB?

honestly, it says nothing.  it's fool's gold just like trying to predict how well a team will do based on the previous year's results.  the jets could've won every game had they played the other team when they had an off day and the jets had a really good day.  imo the thing that is telling, outside of the w-l record, is the points allowed compared to the points scored.  if they have a healthy positive differential then they probably had a really good season.

i believe the jets scored something like 19 points per game.  that just doesn't cut it.  they need to score about 24 to make the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

And they barely beat the Browns with josh McCown not petty ha 

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Or telling the truth

Or there are now at least 3sojfs who even find excuses why our wins aren't actually wins as good as we think they are.  Don't remember these excuses used when we lose games.

Losers

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

It says we lost 9 games against non-playoff teams. 

44 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

That we need a QB.

People still don't understand how much a QB impacts a team.  Brady made Bellichick a 25% better coach becuase certain things he no longer had to worry about. 

Also IMO Bellichick could take risks and refrain from taking risks that he would have otherwise have gone for; Brady also was able to erase BAD COACHING mistakes, everyone makes them but Brady was and is Bellichick's eraser .....

It is why Fitpatrick's horrible play hurt the team far beyond what the stats showed and why McCown (I wanted the young guys to play) helped the Jets far beyond his stats (Team MVP). 

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

It says we were 5-11.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:32 PM, Ken Shroy said:

It says we were 5-11.

No it simply said we beat 3 playoff teams.  And SOJFs just can't have any part of that.  

They'll run to neg rep it though, compounding the point.  lol

Bills game is within division. Those games are always close. Jag game was absurd. They were exhausted traveling from London and gave that game away. Ditto with the Chiefs.  Alex Smith torched the Jet secondary. What was more telling was how not vs. who the 5 wins the Jets had and how absurd it is to think we were competitive and made progress. Game 3 Win - Jets 20- Fins 6. Cutler looked lost, hadn’t played in over a year. Not exactly a stirring victory. Game 4 Jets 23-Jags 20. Jags looked discombobulated flying back from London and gave the game away on a series of goof ups. Again, a gimme.  Game 5. The most embarrassing game of the NFL season. Jets 17-Browns 14. Battle of Futility. Would have been more fitting to end in a tie. Still, Browns gift wrapped this. Game 9 Jets 34-Bills 21. Best game they played all year. Probably their only definitive win. Game 12 Jets 38- Chiefs 31. Another give away by Andy Reid. Out of these 5 wins, I’d say 2 were earned and the others just gifts. We really should have ended at 2-14. But hey can’t wait to draft that DL with that 6th pick. 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Or there are now at least 3sojfs who even find excuses why our wins aren't actually wins as good as we think they are.  Don't remember these excuses used when we lose games.

Losers

Never said they weren't good wins, I really liked the KC game but everything I just stated was a legit fact. I think we are closer to being really good than a lot of people but I am not going to put a ton of stock into those 3 wins. IMO the Atlanta, Carolina and New Orleans losses were more impressive than KC, Jacksonville, and Buffalo wins.

10 hours ago, Freemanm said:

These are the facts: The Jets beat 3 playoff teams, but lost to everyone else.

Thats the problem. This fact that they beat 3 playoff teams means nothing when they lose to the rest of the league and cant win on the road. 

Archived