Its official Darrelle Revis first ballot Hall of Shame

Kleckineau

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it was the 2nd qtr, it was a 7-0 game.  It did not cost them any real chance to win the game.

"The Jets have good depth at the QB position" -Bill Belichick 2017

I couldn't find it anywhere, think it was in the third after they just scored.  I was drunk but need to see some proof. Could be wrong i'll admit on timing

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

again, I'd have to at least know context.  what time of the game was it? what was down and distance?   what was score at the time?

Looking at the play by play the only pass it shows was a 1st and 10 at the Pitt 38 w/ Pitt up 7-0 in the 2nd qtr.  would that have been a game changer?  that drive ended up in 3 points.  I'm sure it would have helped but not sure it would have been a game changer.  either way, the team had a chance late.  3 mins, all 3 TOs and the D failed.  I don't recall any passes being completed to revis' guy as they ran out the clock.

It was Pittsburgh’s second drive in the second quarter. Game was 7-0 at the time.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Revis was a better cover corner and it's not really close.  Deion would get burned often, Revis rarely until later in his career. Deion would cheat to try to make the big play and he would make more big plays, there have been few players more dynamic w/ the ball in their hands but as a shutdown corner? no one did it better than Revis especially when you factor in the era he played in where all the rules favored pass offenses and QBs were setting records annually.

these #s are out of context so we don't know if deion was on these WRs all game but either way it's a negative against Deion b/c if he wasn't covering them then he wasn't covering the best like Revis always has. 

In postseason:

w/ Atl:

1991 at NO: Eric Martin 7-83

1991 at Was: Gary Clark 6-64

w/ SF:

1994 vs. Chi: Jeff Graham 4-33

1994 vs. dal: Michael Irvin 12-192, 2 TDs

1994 vs. SD: Mark Seay 7-75

w/ Dal:

1995 vs. Phi: Calvin Williams 5-56

1995 vs. GB: Robert Brooks 6-105, 2 TDs

1995 vs. Pitt: Yancy Thigpen 3-19-1

1996 vs. Min: Cris Carter 3-36-1

1996 at Car: Mark Carrier 1-7(finally Revis like #s)

1998 vs. Ari: Frank Sanders 3-72

1999 at Min: Randy Moss 5-127-1

12 game totals:

62 recs, 869 yds, 7 TDs

prorated over 16 game season: 83 recs, 1159 yds, 9 TDs

that's a pretty good year for a WR

Now Revis:

w/ Jets:

2009 at Cin: Chad Johnson 2-28

2009 at SD: Vincent Jackson 7-111(I know he did nothing on revis)

2009 at Ind: Reggie Wayne 3-55

2010 at Ind: Reggie Wayne 1-1

2010 at NE: Deion Branch 5-59-1(again, I know he did nothing on revis)

2010 at Pitt: Mike Wallace 1-6

w/ Pats:

vs. Bal: Steve Smith 3-44-1

vs. Ind: T.Y. Hilton 1-36

vs. Sea:  Doug Baldwin 1-3-1

9 game totals:

24 recs, 298 yds, 4 TDs

prorated over 16 games: 43 recs, 530 yds, 7 TDs

what is this

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

randy-moss-owns-revis-o.gif&key=4ef19a0d

Revis dominated Moss.  do we forget he missed all of training camp and pulled his hamstring on that play? that's literally the only TD Moss ever scored against Revis.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I couldn't find it anywhere, think it was in the third after they just scored. 

the only pass defense for Revis on a deep pass in the play by play against Wallace occurred in the 2nd qtr w/ the game 7-0.

Just now, The Crusher said:

Anybody got a stat on how many receptions he gave up and blamed it on a hammy? You know, after he held out for more money than any other player at his position?

Just now, nyjunc said:

Revis dominated Moss.  do we forget he missed all of training camp and pulled his hamstring on that play? that's literally the only TD Moss ever scored against Revis.

the only pass defense for Revis on a deep pass in the play by play against Wallace occurred in the 2nd qtr w/ the game 7-0.

Oh, ok, thanks.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We are now using Revis's personal choice to miss training camp because he wanted more money as an excuse for his play on the field thereafter?

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Deion was a better playmaker but as a true shutdown corner?  Deion never did what revis did.  Deion would make big plays and give up big plays, Revis would shut down the opponents top WRs. go look at the huge receiving games by WRs like Rice, Irvin and more in games against Deion in the playoffs.  That never happened to Revis.  Nnamdi was great in obscurity, when teams didn't have to pass to beat the Raiders, when he had his chance in the spotlight he failed spectacularly.  He was nowhere near Revis.

If you are going to defend Revis,   dont call him a cover corner.  In his prime , he was so much more. He tackled like a mother fukker.

He was the best corner in the NFL for 2-3 years.  I hate him personally, I think he will get in the HOF,  but... Ill quote Herm Edwards when I heard him speak.

"These young kids are soft. They call themselves cover corners. That translates to CANT TACKLE"

That aint Revis. He was as good an open field tackler as anyone.

29 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

If you are going to defend Revis,   dont call him a cover corner.  In his prime , he was so much more. He tackled like a mother fukker.

He was the best corner in the NFL for 2-3 years.  I hate him personally, I think he will get in the HOF,  but... Ill quote Herm Edwards when I heard him speak.

"These young kids are soft. They call themselves cover corners. That translates to CANT TACKLE"

100% correct. Thats why watching him this weekend was that much worse. In his prime he stuck his head in and tackled like a safety. Its disgusting what he turned into.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

what is this

what teams top WRs did against Revis and Deion in the playoffs.  One was a shutdown corner, the other not so much.

Moss was a Rice of this generation.  let's look at Rice's games agaionst deion and Moss vs. Revis:

Rice vs. Deion:

1989:

3-81, 2 Tds

3-32

1990:

13-225-5

8-171-1

1991:

7-138-1

6-44

1992:

4-45-1

1993:

6-105

1995:

5-161-1

1996:

5-49

10 games: 60 recs, 1051 yds, 11 TDs

prorated over 16 games: 96 recs, 1682 yds, 18 TDs

Moss vs. revis:

2007:

9-183-1(Revis's first game and all of this, including TD, was not on Revis)

5-79

2008:

2-22

3-26-1

2009:

4-24

5-34

2010:

2-38-1

4-81-1(Revis wasn't covering him when he played for Minnesota)

8 games: 34 recs, 487 yds, 4 TDs

prorated: 68 recs, 974 yds, 8 TDs

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Sanders was a soft compiler who feasted on the league’s weak ass QB game of the 90s. Revis GOAT faced actual QBs and passing offenses. Easy choice between the two. 

Also want to state that Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Randy Moss, etc...all these guys Revis ate for breakfast regularly would feast against Sanders. Sanders,on top of facing like one good QB a year, would face maybe one or two WRs in his whole career on these guys’ level as an athlete. 

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I understand, he was a complete corner but when discussing corners the most important aspect is shutting down the WR in front of you so that's why I discuss him as a cover corner.  People do forget how good of a tackler he once was since he has shied away from contact late in his career.

The Revis conversation is exceptionally simple IMO.  It all depends on how you define Hall of Fame, or GOAT, or whatever measurement you want.

Darrelle Revis had a couple of the greatest seasons all time at the position.

However, in comparison to other all time greats, his time at the top was far shorter.

Personally, I wouldn't call him the greatest ever, because he wasn't the greatest for very long.  Hall of Fame is iffy for those same reasons.

Now, from a fan perspective, I don't know how anyone can begrudge Jets fans for not liking Revis.  As a Jet fan, I take pleasure in the Jets success.  I am not a fan of Darrelle Revis's Net Worth.  So, I take no pleasure in that number continuing to rise.  Darrelle Revis played for his net worth, which is fine, but this didn't help the Jets succeed.  Ultimately, his decisions helped him greatly, but hurt the Jets.  And then, in the end, he literally quit on the team.  As such, and as a Jet fan, I appreciate that he had a couple of great seasons for us, but he's by no means an all-time great Jet, or one I'd put in the "Ring of Honor" (not that I care about such things).

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We are now using Revis's personal choice to miss training camp because he wanted more money as an excuse for his play on the field thereafter?

I'm not going to hold it against a player putting his body and life on the line who holds out.  As great as he was in 2009(best season ever for a corner) he was even better in 2010 once he was healthy and in football shape later that season.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I'm not going to hold it against a player putting his body and life on the line who holds out.  As great as he was in 2009(best season ever for a corner) he was even better in 2010 once he was healthy and in football shape later that season.

He could have stayed in shape.  He made a business decision which effected his on-field play.  Choices have consequences, and you don't get a pass.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The Revis conversation is exceptionally simple IMO.  It all depends on how you define Hall of Fame, or GOAT, or whatever measurement you want.

However, in comparison to other all time greats, his time at the top was far shorter.

Personally, I wouldn't call him the greatest ever, because he wasn't the greatest for very long.  Hall of Fame is iffy for those same reasons.

Now, from a fan perspective, I don't know how anyone can begrudge Jets fans for not liking Revis.  As a Jet fan, I take pleasure in the Jets success.  I am not a fan of Darrelle Revis's Net Worth.  So, I take no pleasure in that number continuing to rise.  Darrelle Revis played for his net worth, which is fine, but this didn't help the Jets succeed.  Ultimately, his decisions helped him greatly, but hurt the Jets.  And then, in the end, he literally quit on the team.  As such, and as a Jet fan, I appreciate that he had a couple of great seasons for us, but he's by no means an all-time great Jet, or one I'd put in the "Ring of Honor" (not that I care about such things).

Did a whole lot more for that than their bottom ranked QBs did in the age of QBs and passing offenses. Revis’ salary didn’t make the decision to draft Mark Sanchez or patch the QB position up with 35-40 year olds or triple shoulder injury Pennington before and after Sanchez. OTOH Revis the player did anchor defenses that, even working with that on offense, came thisclose to pulling off some sh*t that defense isn’t supposed to (and didn’t) pull off anymore. 

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

he didn't help the Jets succeed?  we would have been SB contenders if we had a QB in 2008, we were SB contenders in 2009 and 2010.  He was part of the ONLY teams in jets history to have multiple SB chances by reaching back to back AFC Championship Games and he dominated his WR in both of them. He's the best player we have EVER had in franchise history, no other Jet dominated his position like Revis.  No other Jet is in any discussion for best of all time at their position.  I can understand fans being pissed at the holdouts, I can't understand bashing his overall play and what he did to help our team.

Just now, SenorGato said:

Did a whole lot more for that than their bottom ranked QBs did in the age of QBs and passing offenses. Revis’ salary didn’t make the decision to draft Mark Sanchez or patch the QB position up with 35-40 year olds or triple shoulder injury Pennington before and after Sanchez. 

Darrelle Revis isn't the reason we didn't win a Super Bowl.  But, ultimately, his business decisions hurt the Jets.  I don't know how that's even debatable.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

He could have stayed in shape.  He made a business decision which effected his on-field play.  Choices have consequences, and you don't get a pass.

being in shape and being in football shape are 2 very different things.  He was in shape when he arrived in 2010, he wasn't in football shape.

so don't give him a pass, that's the only time Moss ever beat him deep and one of 2 TDs he ever allowed to him(the other a 2-3 yarder). That's pretty damn good against an all time great WR

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he didn't help the Jets succeed?  we would have been SB contenders if we had a QB in 2008, we were SB contenders in 2009 and 2010.  He was part of the ONLY teams in jets history to have multiple SB chances by reaching back to back AFC Championship Games and he dominated his WR in both of them. He's the best player we have EVER had in franchise history, no other Jet dominated his position like Revis.  No other Jet is in any discussion for best of all time at their position.  I can understand fans being pissed at the holdouts, I can't understand bashing his overall play and what he did to help our team.

No, that's not what I said.  I said that his business decisions did not help the Jets succeed.  They hurt the team.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Darrelle Revis isn't the reason we didn't win a Super Bowl.  But, ultimately, his business decisions hurt the Jets.  I don't know how that's even debatable.

Easy, Revis’ salaries didn’t stop the Jets from making any moves. What really hurt the Jets is that they consistently made bad calls at the QB position. 

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what teams top WRs did against Revis and Deion in the playoffs.  One was a shutdown corner, the other not so much.

Moss was a Rice of this generation.  let's look at Rice's games agaionst deion and Moss vs. Revis:

Rice vs. Deion:

1989:

3-81, 2 Tds

3-32

1990:

13-225-5

8-171-1

1991:

7-138-1

6-44

1992:

4-45-1

1993:

6-105

1995:

5-161-1

1996:

5-49

10 games: 60 recs, 1051 yds, 11 TDs

prorated over 16 games: 96 recs, 1682 yds, 18 TDs

Moss vs. revis:

2007:

9-183-1(Revis's first game and all of this, including TD, was not on Revis)

5-79

2008:

2-22

3-26-1

2009:

4-24

5-34

2010:

2-38-1

4-81-1(Revis wasn't covering him when he played for Minnesota)

8 games: 34 recs, 487 yds, 4 TDs

prorated: 68 recs, 974 yds, 8 TDs

"prorated"

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Sanders 8 All Pros, 1 Defensive Player of the Year, 2 ring

Revis 4 All Pros, 0 Definsive Player of the Year, 1 ring

No one is denying Sanders’ ability to compile. Throw Revis in a league where he could beat up a bunch of 4.6 running WRs at the LOS as the QB prays to go 11 for 20 that day on his way to 2200 yards on the year with like a 1.2 to 1 TD/INT and Revis bests that no sweat.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

No, that's not what I said.  I said that his business decisions did not help the Jets succeed.  They hurt the team.

His business decisions did not hurt the team in any way. he held out as a rookie, the team was going to stink anyway.  he held out in 2010, the team started 6-1 and made the AFC Championship Game.  You want to say having to trade him hurt us? sure but w/ the mess on O, coaching and GM would we really have won?

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Sanders 8 All Pros, 1 Defensive Player of the Year, 2 ring

Revis 4 All Pros, 0 Definsive Player of the Year, 1 ring

Deion played longer, revis deserved the DPOY award in 2009 and was robbed.  deion made more flashy plays to impress people who didn't watch him get beat and Deion was a 6x time 1st team all pro not 8. Basically Revis 4x in 9 seasons, Deion 6 in 12 seasons.  basically the same rate. Revis became 1st team all pro by his 3rd season, Deion his 4th.

Deion has 2 rings b/c he went to 2 ready made teams.  Revis went to a ready made team for his but his team hadn't won a title in 10 years before he got there, was only 5 for Deion in SF and 2 for Deion in dallas.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

No one is denying Sanders’ ability to compile. Throw Revis in a league where he could beat up a bunch of 4.6 running WRs at the LOS as the QB prays to go 11 for 20 that day and he does even more. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/6/9/3074145/is-darrelle-revis-a-better-corner-than-deion-was-in-his-first-five

And nobody is denying that Revis was great for 4-5 years. 

But 64% of people don't even agree with you that Revis was better than Deion in their first 5 years. And that was before Deion even went to SF and became NFL Defensive Player of the Year and another 5-6 great years with the Cowboys. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

His business decisions did not hurt the team in any way. he held out as a rookie, the team was going to stink anyway.  he held out in 2010, the team started 6-1 and made the AFC Championship Game.  You want to say having to trade him hurt us? sure but w/ the mess on O, coaching and GM would we really have won?

Deion played longer, revis deserved the DPOY award in 2009 and was robbed.  deion made more flashy plays to impress people who didn't watch him get beat and Deion was a 6x time 1st team all pro not 8. Basically Revis 4x in 9 seasons, Deion 6 in 12 seasons.  basically the same rate. Revis became 1st team all pro by his 3rd season, Deion his 4th.

Deion has 2 rings b/c he went to 2 ready made teams.  Revis went to a ready made team for his but his team hadn't won a title in 10 years before he got there, was only 5 for Deion in SF and 2 for Deion in dallas.

"Flashy plays"

Like turnovers and punt returns for touchdowns?

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

LOL I don't care that I'm not convincing you. I'm telling you why he's not the GOAT. Because even in his prime, at his greatest, he dropped an easy INT in the biggest game he had ever played in with the Jets and when his team needed it the most. It was a microcosm of his career as a Jets. HOF player, the best CB in that 4 year window, but couldn't make the big play to impact the biggest game in his Jet carreer. Yes, they probably weren't in that game without him, yes they probably wouldn't have even been in the game without him locking on Wallace and taking him out, but when the ball finally went his way, it was a perfect pass that bounced off his chest. Sports has defining moments and for as good as he was, even great for 4 years in a row, he didn't make the play. That play will always stick out to me for Revis along with all the hold outs and the fact he won a Super Bowl with the Pats as a lesser but still really good player for one year before he went back to the Jets and killed them with complete lackluster play and zero heart. He was the best CB in football for 4 years and a HOF player due to his solid year and SB ring with the Pats...I think that really helped push him over the top to get inducted.....but not the GOAT. 

If one dropped int defined a player to you there is no helping you.  Almost as strange as believing that a SB ring is more important to be inducted into the Hall.  There will be only 2 cbs the Hall who were the only 2 cbs who played the opponents top wr regardless of where they lined up.  Aneius Williams and Revis.  But hey, Revis once dropped an int and to you that was all you needed to know.  

Archived