If Josh Allen looks good at the senior bowl, will you change your opinion of him?

Pointdexter

I'm not Allen's biggest fan but acting as if he's Hack 2.0 is absurd. Allen doesn't have anywhere close to the accuracy woes of Hack. And no one will be coming into this draft with better tools.

An interesting stat:

Wyoming's record the 2 yrs before Allen took over: 6-18

Wyoming's record in the 2 yrs with Allen as their starter: 16-11

So despite not lighting up the stat sheet, he made his team markedly better. (Again, something Hack never did)

Is Allen someone your keeping an open mind to based on how he does with comparable talent, ie senior bowl? Can he climb your big board?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a decent article on Allen from about 2 weeks ago. I liked it but you be the judge:

LARAMIE, Wyo. — Walk into War Memorial Stadium with the snow-capped Laramie Mountains on the horizon and the new $45 million High Altitude Performance Center at the north end of the stadium and you will see this number — 7,220 — written in bold, gold letters along the brown sidelines.

The Jets or Giants may find their next quarterback playing 7,220 feet above sea level on Jonah Field on the campus of the University of Wyoming.

This is where Josh Allen played his home games during his college career, a career that will come to an end in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise on Friday against Central Michigan.

The 7,220 represents the highest point above sea level for any FBS college football stadium. It is there to send a message to opponents:

Breathe deep and fast, this is not your standard college campus.

Allen, the 6-foot-5, 240-pound junior quarterback from Northern California, graduated this month. He will be one of the first quarterbacks selected in the NFL draft; ESPN’s latest mock draft has him going fifth, though he certainly be on the board when the Jets draft, which is projected to be around 10th.

Modal Trigger
AP

It is no surprise Allen’s football hero is another quarterback from Northern California, Tom Brady. Like Brady, Allen wants the longest of NFL careers.

“I would like to say I emulate Tom Brady and how he brings his emotions into the game,’’ Allen told The Post recently. “I just love when he pumps his arm on a first down and I feel his teammates rally around him, really feel how much he truly loves the game.

“I loved football for as long as I can remember, it’s the only thing I ever wanted to do with my life, be involved with this game. So when I go out there it’s all about winning the game and doing whatever it takes to put our team in the best situation possible to win a game.

“The main goal is to try and play 15-plus years in the NFL. It’s just weird how fast things are coming. I’m very anxious and excited for what comes next.’’

The Jets have shown much interest, having scouted every one of the Wyoming Cowboys games this season, home and away, sometimes with multiple scouts.

Allen, 21, has the arm, size, strength and work ethic to make it in the NFL.

Brent Vigen — Wyoming’s associate head coach, offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach — knows quarterbacks. Vigen recruited one to North Dakota State to play for head coach Craig Bohl, who has been the Wyoming coach since December 2013.

That would be the Eagles MVP candidate Carson Wentz.

“Josh’s physical ability is exceptional,’’ Vigen said. “He’s a late-bloomer size wise. I think he has always had really good arm strength, even when he was undersized he could always wing it around. Since he’s been here, he’s become that much better of an athlete. He didn’t move particularly well as a high school player. As a quarterback, now he is on the high side athletically.

“I know his numbers haven’t reflected it this year, at least from the naked eye, but he has made so much progress. His competitive nature is tremendous. From [an intangible] standpoint, I think that is his greatest trait.”

In 14 games last year, Allen completed 56 percent of his passes for 3,203 with 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions, while running for 523 yards. In 10 games this season — working with a mostly new set of skill-position players — he has completed 56.2 percent of his passes for 1,658 yards with 13 touchdowns and six interceptions, while rushing for 207.

“We had Carson for his first three seasons [at North Dakota State],’’ Vigen said. “I think their physical attributes are very similar. In fact, Josh might have a little bit more arm strength than Carson did at this point and be a little bit more athletic. I think they both desire to be great.

Modal Trigger
Allen has drawn comparisons to Carson Wentz, who was a star at North Dakota State.Corbis via Getty Images

“They both are extremely competitive and I think that comes from being overlooked, playing multiple sports, wanting to win at everything they do. I do see those comparisons being very similar.

They both have a chip on their shoulder and they both understand the game.’’

Pretty heady stuff.

“Carson’s intangibles are off the charts,’’ Vigen said. ‘That’s where I think it becomes a little unfair to compare. But I do think that Carson is a tremendous example for Josh.’’

There’s more.

“Carson was willing to reach out to Josh last January and have a couple conversations with him about what going to the next level means,’’ Vigen said.

Allen took those words to heart.

“This was about two weeks before you had to declare if you were going back to school,’’ Allen said. “Carson gave me some insight what it was like in the NFL. The thing that stuck with me is that when he stepped into that locker room as a quarterback he’s a high-round pick, they expect you to come in and lead and these guys are 30 years old that have families and they are counting on you to come out here and do your job to help secure theirs. That really stuck with me.

“Being in here with this offensive system with Coach Vigen and Coach Bohl it really translates over to the NFL,’’ Allen said. “As long as you’re trusting what they’re doing, the things you are doing in college are going to greatly help you at the next level.’’

Allen suffered a sprained AC joint in his throwing shoulder in Wyoming’s 28-14 win at Air Force on Nov. 11, and missed the last two games of the regular season (both losses) but will play in Boise.

Allen grew up on a farm in the two-stoplight farming community of Firebaugh, Calif., often rising at 5 a.m. to help on the farm. His grandfather, Buzz, was instrumental in having the local high school built, so it was no surprise that loyalty kept Josh home.

“He meant a lot to me,’’ Allen said of his grandfather. “Not just in the fact that in our community he was a good supporter of bringing the high school there. He put in roots for our family. He came to Firebaugh, got some land, and kind of made a name for himself and my father took over.’’

The impact of having their own local high school is everlasting, Allen said.

“That allowed so many kids to stay in town and really get a fair shot at playing sports,” Allen said.

Allen lives for competition. He played three sports — football, baseball (pitcher and first baseman) and basketball.

“I feel I’m a pretty good athlete because I allowed myself to play two other sports in high school other than football,’’ Allen said. “That really helped develop my skills. There’s a lot of different muscles you use in each specific sport, baseball, basketball and football. When you play three different sports that allows you to be a real athlete.’’

He never focused on the showcase treadmill of 7-on-7s that get so many college-bound quarterbacks noticed. Allen was not even allowed to try to walk-on at nearby Fresno State. He wound up at Reedley College, a community college based 20 miles outside Fresno. From there, he sent out 100 emails to coaches with a recruiting video attached before landing at 7,220 feet to play for Bohl, who had the good sense to look at the video.

Allen loves to play in the cold, wind, rain and snow. He’s built for the elements and a home field like MetLife Stadium.

“I always say that I’m physically blessed,’’ Allen said. “My mom and dad, they both have pretty big hands, and they passed that down onto me so playing in the cold it doesn’t really bother me and actually I really enjoy it. I get a better grip on the ball. It’s definitely something NFL teams will look at.’’

It was a snowy night at War Memorial Stadium on Nov. 4 when Allen led the Cowboys to 16-13 comeback win over Colorado State and took possession of prized Bronze Boot, the traveling trophy awarded each year in the 109-year old Border War.

After that game, Bohl said with a smile, of the weather: “That’s why they call it Laradise.’’

“It’s a character-building experience,’’ Allen said of playing at Wyoming. “The people here are so great, it’s one of the different college towns in the country. There is not much to do, but you get to spend a lot of time with your teammates and I believe that’s why we are one of the tightest-knit teams in the country.’’

Allen described the final drive in the snow against CSU.

“They were taking their shots, they were talking all the crap they wanted to and actually after the fumble with 10 minutes left, they were dancing like the game was over.

“Our offense looked at that and said, ‘This is ridiculous, we got one more shot,’ I wasn’t going to let go of that opportunity. We got down to around the 7-yard line and their guy tackled me after I got the first down and kind of went dead weight and dragged his body across mine, and I got up and let him have it. We scored two plays later and our defense sealed the deal. That was one of the more exciting games of my life.’’

Modal Trigger
University of Wyoming Photo Service

Allen has never been to New York, but loves the passion of the fans and said, “If that’s the place I get to play, I’m all for it.

“Playing in the NFL is going to mean everything to me, that’s why the decision to come back last year was so tough,’’ he said. “I was so close to making my dreams come true, but coming back for another year of school, I’m learning so much.’’

Here’s the last word from Vigen about Allen.

“This place really matters to him, it wasn’t just about, ‘Hey I’ve got to come back and hone my skills,’ ’’ he said. “The way Josh has played and adjusted throughout the year to do whatever it takes to win, I think all that speaks volumes about his character, and his upbringing and what really matters to him.

“Wherever he goes, he is going to have to make adjustments, but whatever team gets him is going to get a guy who is going to be all in, and does whatever it takes. I don’t know in this day and age that all kids possess that.’’

Not many possess the arm, size and off-the-charts competitive nature.

Add it all up and that is 7,220 feet of endorsement for the Wyoming quarterback.

Just tossing this in here, but Brett Favre had a much less impressive college stat line than almost any QB being talked about today, including Josh Allen by far.  Yet enough scouts, including Bradway, saw something in him that made them want to take a chance.  Turned out pretty good for the Packers.  One example among many hundreds who didn't turn out so good, but sometimes, it's more than just the stats.  I know enough to know I have no idea if this kid will be great or not, but I could say the same about every one of them so I'll root for whomever we draft.

12 minutes ago, jetsons said:

No, 1 game is not enough.

What if the scouting reports from the entire wk of practice praise Allen, not just one day? What if he looks better on a daily basis than the other QBs? His first extended action with an NFL caliber supporting cast has to mean something, right?

1. Browns

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

New GM John Dorsey should recognize the last thing this woebegotten franchise — which has drafted everyone from Tim Couch to Johnny Manziel — needs is a controversial strong-armed quarterback from UCLA who has already aired out a preference for not making the Browns great again. Darnold might not be ready to start from Day 1, but the benefit of keeping Hue Jackson as head coach pays off because he can develop the kid. Kudos to the 0-16 Browns for showing the rest of the league how to Suck for Sam.

2. Giants

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

GM Dave Gettleman is in no rush to turn in his pick because his phone is exploding. From a 973 area code: “Hi Dave, Mike Maccagnan from the Jets. I know you need a young franchise quarterback, unlike us because we’re we’re happy about Christian Hackenberg’s progress, but we’d like the pick anyway, and since I heard you say that big men allow you to compete, how would you like to compete with Muhammad Wilkerson?” A good try by Maccagnan, but Gettleman and the new Giants coach can’t pass on Eli Manning’s successor and their quarterback of the future. Broadway Josh.

3. Colts

Bradley Chubb, OLB, N.C. State

Andrew Luck needs help — a bodyguard, an elite running back, a new shoulder, anything. GM Chris Ballard presumably will have attacked free agency again with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. His phone rings. From a 973 area code: “Chris? Mike Maccagnan here. My intel informs me you are highly unlikely to draft a quarterback (forced laugh). And as you may have heard, we’re happy with Christian Hackenberg’s progress. But just wondering if you’d be interested in our sixth pick, only three teeny weeny spots down.” Ballard isn’t interested. The Colts haven’t hounded the passer since Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis left, so here is a war-daddy pass rusher to chase Deshaun Watson and Marcus Mariota.

4. Browns

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

Dorsey’s phone rings in the war room. A 973 area code: “Hey John, Mike Maccagnan from the Jets. Congrats on the gig. Didn’t call you earlier because, as you may know, we’re happy with Christian Hackenberg’s progress. Great first-overall pick. Our scouts were high on Sam even though we didn’t do much due diligence on the quarterbacks. Anyway, this is the third time in four years I’ve had the sixth pick, and I’m thinking it could be just as good for you as it’s been for me (forced laugh). And I do have two second-rounders by the way, and Muhammad Wilkerson playing alongside Myles Garrett? I can hear the Dawg Pound now!” Dorsey isn’t interested. Not with a gamebreaking running back who will do for Darnold what Todd Gurley is doing for Jared Goff.

5. Broncos

Baker Mayfield, QB , Oklahoma

John Elway answers the phone in his war room. A 973 area code. “Hey John. Mike Maccagnan with the Jets. If you come out of retirement, you can play quarterback for us (forced laugh)! Just kidding, we are soooo happy with Christian Hackenberg’s progress, you would not believe it. Between us, I know you guys coached the Mayfield kid in the Senior Bowl, is he taller than Doug Flutie (forced laugh)? Anyway, just wondering if you’d be interested in swapping picks.” Elway isn’t interested. He loves Mayfield’s moxie and it factor.

6. Jets

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

Maccagnan picks up the phone in his war room. Cardinals GM Steve Keim is calling. “Hey Mike. I’ll be honest, we’re desperate for a franchise quarterback to succeed Carson Palmer. And the talk around the league is you’re happy with Christian Hackenberg’s progress. Man, we loved that kid coming out. I can help you big-time, picking all the way down here at 15.” Maccagnan tells Keim: “Steve, at the end of the day, as happy as we are with Hackenberg’s progress, Josh Allen was at the very top of our draft board, our No. 1-rated player. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. That’s what we’ll be telling our media and fans here shortly. So what might you be willing to give me for Hackenberg? Asking for a friend.”

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

There is no question that Allen's stock will go up once he's in shorts throwing darts and the scouts start getting hung up on measurables.

Pretty much. Looking forward to the dumbest people in the universe telling us that one good performance in an all-star game outweighs a sub-Hackenberg college career.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Pretty much. Looking forward to the dumbest people in the universe telling us that one good performance in an all-star game outweighs a sub-Hackenberg college career.

Again, are these the dumbest people in the universe if they're judging him off a full week of action in pads playing against, and more importantly with, NFL level talent for the first time in his life?

I'm not hyping Josh Allen, but this has to mean something right? In my opinion Mayfield and Allen are the two biggest wildcards in the draft and the senior bowl will be huge in assessing where their value is.

It’s jist very odd. Allen and Hackenberg have very similar college stats. One was considered undraftable, the other is a top ten pick. What is the difference between them?

The only thing I can think of is that the coach who coached Carson Wentz coached Allen, but that shouldn’t make that much of a difference 

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No

A late bloomer with a high ceiling playing next to NFL athletes, not dudes who will be selling insurance as early as May, for the first time ever, why is this not relevant? And if he outplays the board darling Baker Mayfield in the process, please explain how this should not be included in the evaluation process.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It’s jist very odd. Allen and Hackenberg have very similar college stats. One was considered undraftable, the other is a top ten pick. What is the difference between them?

The only thing I can think of is that the coach who coached Carson Wentz coached Allen, but that shouldn’t make that much of a difference 

Watch the two on tape. Nothing odd about it. 

I think that's why fans are so vocal/critical about the awful Hack pick. Anyone who watched him in college knew he was a disaster. To me, Allen is far more of a wildcard and unknown at this point.

4 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

A late bloomer with a high ceiling playing next to NFL athletes, not dudes who will be selling insurance as early as May, for the first time ever, why is this not relevant? And if he outplays the board darling Baker Mayfield in the process, please explain how this should not be included in the evaluation process.

2 years of film can not be undone in one game.

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

1. Browns

Sam Darnold, QB, USC

New GM John Dorsey should recognize the last thing this woebegotten franchise — which has drafted everyone from Tim Couch to Johnny Manziel — needs is a controversial strong-armed quarterback from UCLA who has already aired out a preference for not making the Browns great again. Darnold might not be ready to start from Day 1, but the benefit of keeping Hue Jackson as head coach pays off because he can develop the kid. Kudos to the 0-16 Browns for showing the rest of the league how to Suck for Sam.

2. Giants

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

GM Dave Gettleman is in no rush to turn in his pick because his phone is exploding. From a 973 area code: “Hi Dave, Mike Maccagnan from the Jets. I know you need a young franchise quarterback, unlike us because we’re we’re happy about Christian Hackenberg’s progress, but we’d like the pick anyway, and since I heard you say that big men allow you to compete, how would you like to compete with Muhammad Wilkerson?” A good try by Maccagnan, but Gettleman and the new Giants coach can’t pass on Eli Manning’s successor and their quarterback of the future. Broadway Josh.

3. Colts

Bradley Chubb, OLB, N.C. State

Andrew Luck needs help — a bodyguard, an elite running back, a new shoulder, anything. GM Chris Ballard presumably will have attacked free agency again with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. His phone rings. From a 973 area code: “Chris? Mike Maccagnan here. My intel informs me you are highly unlikely to draft a quarterback (forced laugh). And as you may have heard, we’re happy with Christian Hackenberg’s progress. But just wondering if you’d be interested in our sixth pick, only three teeny weeny spots down.” Ballard isn’t interested. The Colts haven’t hounded the passer since Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis left, so here is a war-daddy pass rusher to chase Deshaun Watson and Marcus Mariota.

4. Browns

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

Dorsey’s phone rings in the war room. A 973 area code: “Hey John, Mike Maccagnan from the Jets. Congrats on the gig. Didn’t call you earlier because, as you may know, we’re happy with Christian Hackenberg’s progress. Great first-overall pick. Our scouts were high on Sam even though we didn’t do much due diligence on the quarterbacks. Anyway, this is the third time in four years I’ve had the sixth pick, and I’m thinking it could be just as good for you as it’s been for me (forced laugh). And I do have two second-rounders by the way, and Muhammad Wilkerson playing alongside Myles Garrett? I can hear the Dawg Pound now!” Dorsey isn’t interested. Not with a gamebreaking running back who will do for Darnold what Todd Gurley is doing for Jared Goff.

5. Broncos

Baker Mayfield, QB , Oklahoma

John Elway answers the phone in his war room. A 973 area code. “Hey John. Mike Maccagnan with the Jets. If you come out of retirement, you can play quarterback for us (forced laugh)! Just kidding, we are soooo happy with Christian Hackenberg’s progress, you would not believe it. Between us, I know you guys coached the Mayfield kid in the Senior Bowl, is he taller than Doug Flutie (forced laugh)? Anyway, just wondering if you’d be interested in swapping picks.” Elway isn’t interested. He loves Mayfield’s moxie and it factor.

6. Jets

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

Maccagnan picks up the phone in his war room. Cardinals GM Steve Keim is calling. “Hey Mike. I’ll be honest, we’re desperate for a franchise quarterback to succeed Carson Palmer. And the talk around the league is you’re happy with Christian Hackenberg’s progress. Man, we loved that kid coming out. I can help you big-time, picking all the way down here at 15.” Maccagnan tells Keim: “Steve, at the end of the day, as happy as we are with Hackenberg’s progress, Josh Allen was at the very top of our draft board, our No. 1-rated player. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. That’s what we’ll be telling our media and fans here shortly. So what might you be willing to give me for Hackenberg? Asking for a friend.”

Puke..

Just now, FidelioJet said:

2 years of film can not be undone in one game.

Reading is fundamental here. Not talking about one game. Talking about an entire wk of being on a level playing field with QBs from big programs, for the first time ever.

If he shows his peers up, it's going to mean a lot. And rightfully so.

45 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

What if the scouting reports from the entire wk of practice praise Allen, not just one day? What if he looks better on a daily basis than the other QBs? His first extended action with an NFL caliber supporting cast has to mean something, right?

No, game time ability is ALL that counts, practice is nice but you don't win championships in practice you win them playing the game... Playing the game is WAYYYYYY different than practice.... and throughout his college career he hasn't done too much in games.

12 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Reading is fundamental here. Not talking about one game. Talking about an entire wk of being on a level playing field with QBs from big programs, for the first time ever.

If he shows his peers up, it's going to mean a lot. And rightfully so.

My mistake - I thought the Senior Bowl was one game.

50 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Because 20 attempts in an all-star game mean less to me than his performance in two years of actual games.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Hack comp is a lazy one.  If you watch them play, you can see the difference.

41 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Because 20 attempts in an all-star game mean less to me than his performance in two years of actual games.

So you would put zero stock into a game where he is surrounded by equal talent level?

No one should take a good performance by him as the gospel, it shouldn't be ignored either.

I am not even a fan of the kid, but the narrative around him is nauseating.  To make it even worse, I am pretty sure the vast majority of people smearing him(not saying you necessarily) don't even watch college football or him, but they are certain what he can and can't do.

For me personally he has to show an understanding of the offense that he’s being presented and show progress throughout the week in practice especially mentally and hopefully with mechanics. Of course none of us will see this but it will have to be evident in each days practice report. They always say the practices are the most important part and many scouts leave before the game. I will watch the game but put the most stock into the reports. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So you would put zero stock into a game where he is surrounded by equal talent level?

No one should take a good performance by him as the gospel, it shouldn't be ignored either.

I am not even a fan of the kid, but the narrative around him is nauseating.  To make it to the highest even worse, I am pretty sure the vast majority of people smearing him(not saying you necessarily) don't even watch college football or him, but they are certain what he can and can't do.

Well, go ahead and be nauseated I guess, because I’ve never seen a Wyoming game in my life, I will absolutely be ignoring Allen’s performance at the Senior Bowl, and I feel absolutely certain about what he can and can’t do.

I certainly respect all the opinions on this board. But my memory of this same collection of board experts telling me, with unwaivering confidence I might add, Deshaun Watson is nothing more than Vince Young part 2 at this time last yr is still fresh in my mind. Remember when that was a foregone conclusion too?

Personally I'm going to keep an open mind and consider all the info to come in forming a final opinion. 

The Senior Bowl stuff does have some Merit, especially for a guy from a small school. Im not a huge fan of Allen but he has all of the physical tools, a big arm, and great work ethic. But his "good" season, Jr year? He had all of those guys he had success with, his WRs and most of the Oline left and he played with guys barely above the level of a Good Texas High School. So there's that.

I was sick yesterday so just hung out in the living room watching TV..I watched the FCS Championship game, NDSU v JMU.

NDSU QB Easton Stick is a skinny kid who throws the ball with outstanding accuracy, touch and timing but hes small. But he knows how to throw the ball.

Bryan Schor JMU QB was originally going to the MAC (Miami, OH) and has brought JMU to 2 FCS Championship games, winning one.

And watching that game and watching their WRs drop pass after pass, guys hit right in the hands over and over again amd just muffing the catch...how frustrating would that be for a QB? 

So, how much are those guys hurt by playing around and with guys that are at an inferior talent level? Bryan Schor WILL be in the NFL, either a late round pick or FA, but hes playing with guys that wouldn't start in a powerhouse HS program. 

Josh Allen needs the Senior bowl to show if playing with talent will allow him to show his. What IF he doea just go off as a passer? 

In my observation of watching both of them as College prospects, Josh Allen reminds me more of Blake Bortles than Carson Wentz.

21 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I certainly respect all the opinions on this board. But my memory of this same collection of board experts telling me, with unwaivering confidence I might add, Deshaun Watson is nothing more than Vince Young part 2 at this time last yr is still fresh in my mind. Remember when that was a foregone conclusion too?

Personally I'm going to keep an open mind and consider all the info to come in forming a final opinion. 

As I recall the main two things people were questioning about Watson was arm strength, and durability with his style of play.

He played well, but how long did he play?  7 games?  I don't know why people are putting Watson in the HOF  after 7 games, and ending his season on IR

36 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

That, was me

Archived