Rumor Chiefs to explore trading Alex Smith

joewilly12

Alex Smith Rumors: Chiefs to Explore Trade; Ian Rapoport Links Browns, Cardinals

SCOTT POLACEKJANUARY 7, 2018

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith (11) carries the ball during the first half of an NFL wild-card playoff football game against the Tennessee Titans, in Kansas City, Mo., Saturday, Jan. 6, 2018. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
Charlie Riedel/Associated Press

Quarterback Alex Smith's tenure with the Kansas City Chiefs may be over following a 22-21 playoff loss to the Tennessee Titans on Saturday.

On Sunday, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network said the Chiefs "are going to explore trade options" regarding their signal-caller and pointed to the team's belief that Patrick Mahomes is the quarterback of the future as a driving factor.

Rapoport named the Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals as potential landing sports for Smith, noting "his value is never going to be higher:"

The Browns and Cardinals make sense as destinations considering Cleveland is still searching for stability at the position following an 0-16 mark in its 10th straight losing season and Arizona is looking for a quarterback after Carson Palmer retired.Trading for Smith would also allow the Browns to address other areas of need with the Nos. 1 and 4 picks in the 2018 NFL draft.

While Saturday's loss—the Chiefs blew a 21-3 third-quarter lead at home against the Tennessee Titans—is fresh, it didn't take away from what Smith did during the regular season. He set career highs with 4,042 passing yards and 26 touchdown throws and only tossed five interceptions—his fewest since 2012, when he was with the San Francisco 49ers.

The two-time Pro Bowler led Kansas City to a 10-6 record and the AFC West title and didn't appear to be slowing down at age 33.

The Chiefs, however, paid a significant price to land Mahomes: They traded the No. 27 overall pick and a third-round pick in the 2017 draft as well as a first-round pick in the 2018 draft to the Buffalo Bills to move up to No. 10 to select the Texas Tech product.

Trading Smith would open the door for the 22-year-old, and Kansas City would get something in return as it makes the transition at quarterback.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the browns got smith and were willing to trade the top pick i wonder if mccags would really pursue it.  The browns could still take a qb a 4 or in round 2 if they wanted.  

It would cost a lot but wouldn't it be ironic if the jets traded for the top pick and then the giants were at the mercy of the jets ....

After yesterday you assume he is gone. I like him over other FA vets but not for draft picks. I'd prefer signing someone for free. If the Bills cut Tyrod I'd go for that. But there will be a number of good vets available cheaper than Alex and just as good as he is. Plus we should draft a Qb. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This might be the most SOJs move in a long and storied history of SOJs moves. 

I don't remember seeing anyone in this thread demanding we trade or sign Alex Smith, my stance is he's better than McCown,Petty,Hackenberg FTR. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

Smith did not put up a single point in the second half!

I <3 JN. The only place a CB and HC are the biggest goats in a game where the offense put up a goose egg during the second half. The QB that led that offense? Worth a draft pick and a ~$17 million dollar salary!!!!  Twilight Zone  

Was he calling the plays? 

30 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This might be the most SOJs move in a long and storied history of SOJs moves. 

Agreed. He is a good QB. With a great team, you can win with him. But he is not the solution to this teams decades long search for a QB, plus it's not like you are just signing him for 6 milion a year. You are assuming his rather large contract AND giving away a pick. I'd MUCH prefer Cousins. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. He is a good QB. With a great team, you can win with him. But he is not the solution to this teams decades long search for a QB, plus it's not like you are just signing him for 6 milion a year. You are assuming his rather large contract AND giving away a pick. I'd MUCH prefer Cousins. 

Smith or Cousins both better than McCown,Petty,Hackenberg. At what cost? And are they worth it? Are they the answer?  

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The only thing I'd say about that is if you didn't extend his deal when traded for, he's only got one year left on his contract which gives you a lot of flexibility going forward.  If you sign Cousins to a multi yr $100+ mill contract and it goes sour that can have cap implications for a long time.

Archived