Rumor Chiefs to explore trading Alex Smith

joewilly12

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Josh McCown 23-50 NFL career 

Alex Smith  88-62-1 NFL career 

don't care.

McCown mentoring a 1st pick QB  >>>>>>>>>  Smith mentoring a 3rd round QB.

Luckily I highly doubt Macc will have any interest whatsoever in this ultimate JAG becoming the long term solution.  None.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

Best case scenario is Smith to the Browns and Cousins to Denver, Giants will pick Rosen, Darnold falls to us.

I could see that IF Cleveland feels there is some promise in Kizer eventually; otherwise they make trade for Smith and his one yr remaining and draft another QB anyway

12 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Let's just hope Cleveland or Denver lands Smith, or Cousins, so we can have a much easier time getting the Franchise guy come April.

I think Denver is the more sensical anding spot.  He knows the division and would get a chance to play his old team twice.  Chris Harris Jr, Denver's all-pro CB, hinted yesterday on NFLN Gameday Morning that they would love to have him.  He is 33; he's not trying to go to a no-building team.  

1 minute ago, Pac said:

don't care.

McCown mentoring a 1st pick QB  >>>>>>>>>  Smith mentoring a 3rd round QB.

Luckily I highly doubt Macc will have any interest whatsoever in this ultimate JAG becoming the long term solution.  None.

Don't care I stand by what I say better than McCown,Petty,Hackenberg 

Hows that mentoring thing working out for us? First Fitzpatrick then McCown and Hackenberg hasnt even seen the field in 2 years other than pre-season. 

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Niners, Chiefs: Alex Smith is too conservative and is, at best, a 9-7 QB.

Todd Bowles: 

E24C319E-48CD-407B-BA05-69C49DBA69CA.gif

I’m not interested in acquiring Smith but your 9-7 qb at best has had records of; 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, and 10-6.  All but one better than your “at best”.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Don't care I stand by what I say better than McCown,Petty,Hackenberg 

Hows that mentoring thing working out for us? First Fitzpatrick then McCown and hackenberg hasnt even seen the field in 2 years other than pre-season. 

The difference in play between McCown and Smith is negligible. 

Trading a draft pick for a guy who never elevated the play of anyone and all but guaranteeing him a starting job for a couple years would be asinine.  A disgusting decision..  one that Macc will surely not make.

Any fan who complains about the Jets QB position and advocates trading for Alex Smith should have their head examined.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Trading a draft pick for a guy who never elevated the play of anyone and all but guaranteeing him a starting job for a couple years would be asinine.  A disgusting decision..  one that Macc will surely not make.

Any fan who complains about the Jets QB position and advocates trading for Alex Smith should have their head examined.

Im not advocating for Smith or Cousins you seem to have missed that point. 

I'm saying both are better than Petty,McCown,Hackenberg. 

First off the Chiefs are not going to trade Smith to a division rival. Secondly why anyone thinks we are remotely a landing spot is beyond me. The Browns have 3 second round picks they can beat any offer we put out there short of a first round pick which IMO is insane to think Macc would entertain trading #6 for an older QB with one year left on his deal. They can off a 2nd rounder and still have a pick higher than our 2nd rounder.

The fact people are complaining about this possibly being a scenario is ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

Greuirbrruehehrvddhdhebreisudufbbrcyeeudidjdjruejegwffsidbecrdsffhdsisosi))&(:)&(($$::))

5 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The only thing I'd say about that is if you didn't extend his deal when traded for, he's only got one year left on his contract which gives you a lot of flexibility going forward.  If you sign Cousins to a multi yr $100+ mill contract and it goes sour that can have cap implications for a long time.

I really don't see Cousins suddenly regressing. The guy is a consistent 4k, 26-11TD QB without the benefit of really good weapons. Plus he has never had even an average Defense to help  make his life easier. Look at the Redskins roster and there is zero chance he puts up 27tds and over 4k yards (and zero running game for opposing defenses to worry about. 

Cousins is vastly underrated on this  board.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I really don't see Cousins suddenly regressing. The guy is a consistent 4k, 26-11TD QB without the benefit of really good weapons. Plus he has never had even an average Defense to help  make his life easier. Look at the Redskins roster and there is zero chance he puts up 27tds and over 4k yards (and zero running game for opposing defenses to worry about. 

To know him is to love him I guess. If the Jets sign him and he wins games here most fans will love him, look how they embraced Fitzpatrick and McCown who accomplished nothing here. 

11 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I’m not interested in acquiring Smith but your 9-7 qb at best has had records of; 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, and 10-6.  All but one better than your “at best”.

In light of this new evidence, this trade is already a win for Big Mac 

To know him is to love him I guess. If the Jets sign him and he wins games here most fans will love him, look how they embraced Fitzpatrick and McCown who accomplished nothing here. 

The hope is that we if we sign Cousins, Macc uses 2 out of our 3 1st/2nd round picks on offense to surround him with enough talent to excel. He proved in Washington he can produce with average talent and I think with above average talent he can be really really good. 

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

Agree 100%. But should we prepare the condiments, sugar and butter in case Maccagnan makes you consume these words?

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The hope is that we if we sign Cousins, Macc uses 2 out of our 3 1st/2nd round picks on offense to surround him with enough talent to excel. He proved in Washington he can produce with average talent and I think with above average talent he can be really really good. 

Agree OL and a WR over 6' who can battle for the ball and take it away from defenders. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cousins is the man. Soon! 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

He'll go to the Browns, they can offer the highest 2nd round pick if needed (they have 3) and Dorsey traded for him from the 49ers when he was GM of KC.

A high 2 for Alex Smith ? Lol. Jimmy Garoppolo only got a 2nd round pick. Alex Smith had a career yr but he is going to be 34. There won’t be a bidding war for Alex Smith ha. Maybe they get a 3rd round pick for him. I don’t know about the browns 3rd tho. Maybe their 4th. For jets it could be in play. It hurts Cousins too because he knows his small window of teams options just got smaller. He won’t be able to demand as much $$ now

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

A high 2 for Alex Smith ? Lol. Vinny Garoppolo only got a 2nd round pick. Alex Smith had a career yr but he is going to be 34. There won’t be a bidding war for Alex Smith ha. Maybe they get a 3rd round pick for him. I don’t know about the browns 3rd tho. Maybe their 4th. For jets it could be in play. It hurts Cousins too because he knows his small window of teams options just got smaller. He won’t be able to demand as much $$ now

Vinny Garropolo? Any relation to Vinny Testaverde? 

7 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

A high 2 for Alex Smith ? Lol. Jimmy Garoppolo only got a 2nd round pick. Alex Smith had a career yr but he is going to be 34. There won’t be a bidding war for Alex Smith ha. Maybe they get a 3rd round pick for him. I don’t know about the browns 3rd tho. Maybe their 4th. For jets it could be in play. It hurts Cousins too because he knows his small window of teams options just got smaller. He won’t be able to demand as much $$ now

The Browns won't need to give that up if they don't want to but the point is any pick the Jets can offer the Browns will be able to beat. They have 55 players under contract for next season already and they have a ton of pick plus $100m in cap space. The Browns don't need draft picks right now so why not create the best bridge possible while taking a QB in the first round (either at 1 or 4) it give you the option to trade out of 1 since they've already shown interest in a Mayfield and Allen and land one at 4 or they can take Darnold and potentially Barkley. It gives them a lot of options, it makes sense because Dorsey obviously likes him.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Watching Bortles throwing bricks all over the place makes me think Smith will wind up in J-Ville.  Perfect fit for them.

I think that's the best fit but will Jacksonville be willing to give up their 1st rounder to beat out the Browns 2nd round pick?

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I think that's the best fit but will Jacksonville be willing to give up their 1st rounder to beat out the Browns 2nd round pick?

Not sure why you think there will be a bidding war for Alex Smith..  My guess is whoever gets him will only have to give up a 4th.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd love if this opened up the #1 pick but I think Dorsey is okay with Smith for 1 year and then franchising him if need be and let Darnold sit a year or 2.

In an odd turn of events I think it will and then they gain flexibility to pick a QB #4 and still have picks from the #1 pick’s deal. That’s ideal

Agree OL and a WR over 6' who can battle for the ball and take it away from defenders. 

OL for sure. I was thinking RB  over WR. I actually like the combo of Anderson/Kearse/Enunwa...maybe guys like  Hansen/Stewart improve year 2. I am not sold on Mcguire ever becoming an elite RB and Powell is too fragile to be relied upon. This is a very good RB draft class. We could find a Kareem Hunt/Cook type talent at the top of the 2nd round (Kerryon Johnson/Guice/Jones/Michael and my personal favorite Akrum Wadley)

55 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Let's just hope Cleveland or Denver lands Smith, or Cousins, so we can have a much easier time getting the Franchise guy come April.

Alex Smith ain't stopping anyone from drafting a QB.  It makes sense for Cleveland to trade for him and still draft Darnold. Darnold is only 20 years old.  Whoever drafts him will probably ease him in.

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

The Browns won't need to give that up if they don't want to but the point is any pick the Jets can offer the Browns will be able to beat. They have 55 players under contract for next season already and they have a ton of pick plus $100m in cap space. The Browns don't need draft picks right now so why not create the best bridge possible while taking a QB in the first round (either at 1 or 4) it give you the option to trade out of 1 since they've already shown interest in a Mayfield and Allen and land one at 4 or they can take Darnold and potentially Barkley. It gives them a lot of options, it makes sense because Dorsey obviously likes him.

If they don’t need their excess draft picks, why not just trade a bunch of their bottom picks for just another valued 2nd rounder ? They are more than a yr away, probably 2. By then Alex Smith will be 36. They don’t want him. Smith only value is to a win now team. 

Archived