Rumor Chiefs to explore trading Alex Smith

joewilly12

Be assured, I do NOT love Alex Smith.  At all.
But the all or nothing route has shown to be a loser here.
So lets try something different, lets sign a legit NFL Starter for now, AND Draft a QB who legitimately could be the future for later.
No more JAG Vet "bridge" fill-in's a la Fitz or McCown.
No more reach risky picks a la Geno and Hack.
Alex Smith can hold down now and compete for the postseason, legitimately.
And as for who to pick, inset whomever you like, I like Mayfield at #6 (no traded up needed IMO).
Smith/Mayfield/Hack in 2018 is a million miles better, in every way, than McCown/Petty/Hack was in 2017.

We also better be drafting a high impact running back if we are going this route

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 firsts and 2 seconds is a fairly standard price for a move from 6 to 1.  We might get away with punting one of the 2 second rounders into a future year, but I'd rather not head into the 2018 draft without a pick in the first 2 rounds.  And if you believe Darnold or Rosen are franchise QBs & don't think that about both Allen & Mayfield, it's well worth the price.

Would Denver do that?

My dream world scenario is that alex smith and cousins go to teams ahead of us in the draft and that another team loves mayfield or allen.

I want darnold or rosen in this draft....end stop.  I don't care at all which vet qb we sign, i want one of the two true franchise prospects.  Quit fing around with sloppy seconds and go get one of the top guys.

Agreed.
I would be okay with Cousins too - he's not a McCown, Fitz type.  He's 30 years old, only played 3 years and has put up some big numbers.  He may or may not win us a superbowl but with the proper supporting cast I think he's capable. You'll only have about 5 or 6 years to get it done though
keeping our 3 top 50 picks this year would be a nice thing - because I'm pretty sure going from 6 to 3 is going to cost us a lot.  which, by the way, I have no problem with - you'll have 15 years to build a team around this guy...and a full $100mm in cap space.
It's either Cousins or a 1st round QB - I can't imagine this team doing anything else.

To me there is not a qb in this draft worth giving up two 1s and two 2s

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I want darnold or rosen in this draft....end stop.

Why?  Without citing "experts" or "consensus", can you tell me why these two are so head and shoulders above any other option to you?  I'm desperately trying to understand what their fans are seeing in them.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:23 AM, Warfish said:

Why?  Without citing "experts" or "consensus", can you tell me why these two are so head and shoulders above any other option to you?  I'm desperately trying to understand what their fans are seeing in them.

Because when I watched both  these players they exhibited pro NFL qualities, decent accuracy, can move in the pocket keep their eyes down field, touch on passes when needed.  In both cases they also had some weapons but also had some suspect parts of their team USC defense and oline was shoddy.

On 1/9/2018 at 12:37 PM, Beerfish said:

My dream world scenario is that alex smith and cousins go to teams ahead of us in the draft and that another team loves mayfield or allen.

I want darnold or rosen in this draft....end stop.  I don't care at all which vet qb we sign, i want one of the two true franchise prospects.  Quit fing around with sloppy seconds and go get one of the top guys.

If Petty was our starter for all 16 games we would guarantee to have 1 of The 2 ha. But be proud, it was much more satisfying watching jets win 5 not 3 games, than it was to get 1 of those two right ? Ha.

Giants are either going to pick 1 of them or trade back. We could be a good trade partner. Gettleman believes in a strong Oline. And giants desperately need help there. They could take a stud OL at 6, take 2 more with both second round picks of ours, and still have a top 2nd round pick to use on whatever. Barkley might even fall to them at 6. Would They trade with us is the question. Their 2 overall for our 6 and our 2s this yr, our 2 next yr. maybe a 4th next yr too.

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There are lots of positive highlight clips of him as well.

there are also plenty of good &/or bad video clips of all the other 1-2 QB prospects coming out for the draft that you previously mentioned.

you are strong in your not believing That the 2 guys this year will be legit ... Which you are entitled to feel.

i have liked most of what I've seen from Darnold in particular ... We're never going to get him anyway so it doesn't matter ...but was there a particular thing that jumped out for you to so strongly feel that he is not legit ?  Is it the INT's as your biggest issue, is that why you posted this video specifically ?

i haven't broken down the so called expert comparisons between classes ...  Have you? I  would be curious to actually see the breakdown vs.the top guys in the last 10 years or so.

14 hours ago, ljr said:

There are lots of positive highlight clips of him as well.

Low moment clips are vastly more informative than highlight clips at the minor league level.  

Anyone can look like Joe Montana vs. East Tuscaloosa Barber College for the highlight clip.

The low-lights expose the problems the player possesses, problems that require correction for success at the NFL level.

14 hours ago, ljr said:

there are also plenty of good &/or bad video clips of all the other 1-2 QB prospects coming out for the draft that you previously mentioned.

Indeed.  And I am sure they'll be posted as well.  Although, in fairness, it;s hard to post a clip of Rosen standing on the sidelines injured....

14 hours ago, ljr said:

you are strong in your not believing That the 2 guys this year will be legit ... Which you are entitled to feel.

I appreciate you accept my entitlement.

14 hours ago, ljr said:

i have liked most of what I've seen from Darnold in particular ... We're never going to get him anyway so it doesn't matter ...but was there a particular thing that jumped out for you to so strongly feel that he is not legit ?  Is it the INT's as your biggest issue, is that why you posted this video specifically ?

His accuracy and decision making seem very suspect to me.  Part of that is the INT's, yes, but part of it is all the throws that at the NFL level WOULD be INT's.  He also doesn't strike me as a football-first type of player, a dedicated Manning or Brady.  This is far from uncommon from USC Beach Bum college kids tbqh.  And while it's not on him personally, I loathe drafting USC QB's, they almost universally suck at the NFL level apart from Palmer, and even Palmer never really won anything.  

14 hours ago, ljr said:

i haven't broken down the so called expert comparisons between classes ...  Have you? I  would be curious to actually see the breakdown vs.the top guys in the last 10 years or so.

Nope, I haven't.  Year vs Year class is not terribly interesting to me honestly, because you don't have access to both at once, so what is the relevance when it gets down to brass tacks?  If you need a QB, you take the best one of the class you have in front of you.

If you pass on 2017 prospect A at pick 6 because 2016 prospect B (who may have been better) went at pick 8, well.....you won't be an NFL GM for long.

All that matters is the class now.  All of them have serious, material risks.  Darnold is decision making and turnovers.  Rosen is durability and pro-level development.  Mayfield is size, arm strength to some degree, attitude.  Rudolph is top-level potential limits.  Jackson is playing the QB position at all at the pro level (vs. some other skill position where his real talents, his legs and speed, can better be utilized).  Most of the rest the risk is simply one of what their top-level skills can be at the next level.

ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon expects the Browns to have interest in acquiring Alex Smith this offseason.

It makes all the sense in the world from a dot-connecting standpoint. The Chiefs are fully expected to move on from Smith, even with him coming off his best pro season. Patrick Mahomes offers more upside, and the Chiefs believe Smith has taken them as far as he can already. In Cleveland is GM John Dorsey, who was the Chiefs' GM when they acquired Smith from the 49ers. Cleveland has a ton of cap space and can splurge at quarterback, where Smith carries a $20.9 million cap hit for 2018. The Browns need to add a veteran and high-end rookie at the position.
Related: Browns

Source: ESPN.com 
Jan 12 - 9:49 AM

Alex Smith in a Browns jersey? Reunion with John Dorsey could be a good fit

alex_smith_5x2.jpg&w=768&h=307&scale=cro

New Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey concedes that the NFL is a quarterback-driven league.

In past years, the Browns have driven the position into a brick wall.

This offseason, the Browns have a rare chance to address the position for both the short and long term. Part of the solution is to not give up on DeShone Kizer and continue to work with him. But other pieces need to be added, with another young quarterback via the draft and with a veteran to ensure the young player(s) are not forced on the field before they are ready.

Adding a veteran is paramount. Bill Walsh once said that if a quarterback plays too soon, the experience can be traumatic and ruin him. That Kizer fought to the end last season is to his credit.
 But it does not erase the need to add a veteran.

Which means the dots are in place to bring Alex Smith to the Cleveland Browns.

Smith has been with the Chiefs the past five seasons. He’s won 50 games, started 76 and has never been part of a losing season. In five playoff games he’s thrown for 1,250 yards, nine touchdowns and two interceptions with a 96.0 passer rating.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0112%2Falex_smit Alex Smith might relish the challenge of working with Josh Gordon and a slew of high draft picks to rebuild the Browns -- or he might want to run far away from that situation ESPN Illustration

But he’s only won in the postseason once in Kansas City, and never advanced beyond the divisional round. Smith is 33, and the clear feeling coming out of Kansas City is that the Chiefs feel he has taken them as far as he can. Last season, the Chiefs traded up to draft quarterback Patrick Mahomes 10th overall. His time seems to have arrived.

Which leads to Dorsey, who was part of the decision to bring Smith to the Chiefs in 2013. If Dorsey is looking for a perfect quarterback to step in and play efficiently for a young team, he doesn’t have to look past the guy he knows well.

Some of Smith’s numbers are more than impressive -- especially in limiting turnovers, a Hue Jackson emphasis. Smith has not thrown more than eight interceptions in a season since 2010. Kizer led the NFL with 22 last season (six more than Cam Newton at second); Smith has thrown 20 in the past three seasons.

His completion percentage has been at 60 percent or better in each of the past seven seasons. Sixty percent is another Jackson benchmark.

Smith is also the only quarterback in NFL history to throw for 3,000 or more yards and have 10 or fewer interceptions in five consecutive seasons. This season he threw for 4,042 yards, with 26 touchdowns and five interceptions.

In short, he’d be a good fit for the Browns, where he could step in and start and play as long as he plays well. He also would be the veteran voice for the other young quarterbacks on the roster.

It's easy to point to Smith simply because of Dorsey's past association with him. Dorsey may have another plan in mind, because acquiring Smith will not be as simple as Dorsey making a couple calls, clicking his heels and making it happen.

The Browns would have to sell Smith that they are the right team for him. Coming off 1-31, that's not an easy sell. In the past, several veteran quarterbacks have come to the Browns and found the challenges overwhelming. Smith might relish the challenge the way Dorsey does, and he might be attracted by the presence of Josh Gordon and the five draft picks in the first two rounds.

It still would be a tough sell -- especially if his priority is a team that can win quickly.

Other teams are well aware what Smith brings. Arizona may want a new veteran quarterback to go with a new coach after the retirement of Bruce Arians and Carson Palmer. Buffalo may see itself as one veteran quarterback from advancing in the playoffs. Smith’s coordinator Matt Nagy is now the coach of the Bears, which raises possibilities there. The Jets and Redskins (if they lose Kirk Cousins) also could be teams that would at least ponder obtaining Smith. There also are always surprises.

As for Cousins, he will be another option for the Browns. But as a free agent he will be able to choose where he plays, and the situation in Cleveland would warrant gross overpayment to get him to sign. In normal times, he’d be an excellent option, but as the times in Cleveland are seriously abnormal, it’s unlikely he’d join the Browns. Keep an eye on the Broncos signing him.

Smith is under contract for 2018 -- and will earn $17 million in salary and bonuses. Trading him would save the Chiefs $10.9 million in salary-cap space. The Browns have so much cap space they could allocate $55 million this offseason and still have $55 million left.

It may not happen.

But if it did, Smith sure seems like an ideal fit.

Archived