It makes the most sense to draft a QB in round one

Alka

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree FA was designed for teams to overpay, it was a players association idea, not the owners :) 

Personally I would prefer the draft as well (we all want a true Jets franchise QB) but in reference to the thread title, I think we also agree that Cousins could make sense for the Jets - don't really expect this to happen but that was not the question 

IMHO the plan that "makes the most sense" for the Jets is aligned with Warfish, Charlie Brown and others to double down on a FA QB and a first round draft pick and after watching the National Championship last night, Mayfield ranks a little higher in my book too...

They're not going to make Cousins the highest paid player in the league, and then draft a QB in the first round. They sign him, they're committing to him to be the starter for the duration of his contract. The draft will be used to add players to help him succeed ASAP, and that will not mean adding a backup QB at #6 overall. 

Warfish's idea is to trade assets for one year of Alex Smith while simultaneously drafting a QB in the first round to groom behind him. Or extending Smith and letting that first rounder sit longer. I don't like that idea. No problem signing a mid-level free agent QB to hold the fort for that rookie to come on line, even if it's McCown, but trading for and paying a soon-to-be 34-year-old Smith makes no sense to me. I just don't see him as much of an upgrade. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The problem with this is I think there's going to be a prerequisite coming from Cousins camp that they not take a QB in the first round.  He wants to be the man - honestly having a first round QB behind Cousins would be a disaster.  one bad game, heck one bad pick and the entire fan base and media will be calling to play the kid.  If you're paying $30mm to Cousins he has to be the man.

With that said - I think you could do something like this with a Bortles or Bridgewater or something of that ilk although I don't love the idea of it. 

For me, I just as soon bring back McCown with our first round rookie.  We want the rookie getting the first team reps..we want him to get ready.

I know, it makes sense to commit to a QB and move forward, but after all the bad QB play on this team I would prefer to find a way to hedge my bets, it worked for Philly and almost for Chicago so it's possible, just have to find the right combination...  we can dream :)

55 minutes ago, slats said:

They're not going to make Cousins the highest paid player in the league, and then draft a QB in the first round. They sign him, they're committing to him to be the starter for the duration of his contract. The draft will be used to add players to help him succeed ASAP, and that will not mean adding a backup QB at #6 overall. 

Warfish's idea is to trade assets for one year of Alex Smith while simultaneously drafting a QB in the first round to groom behind him. Or extending Smith and letting that first rounder sit longer. I don't like that idea. No problem signing a mid-level free agent QB to hold the fort for that rookie to come one line, even if it's McCown, but trading for and paying a soon-to-be 34-year-old Smith makes no sense to me. I just don't see him as much of an upgrade. 

agree on Cousins as posted above, they probably have to commit to one or the other, that is reality but it would be nice to have both to make sure the QB is solved for a while...

We can agree that Smith is not a dream scenario for sure but at least he has proven to be a competent starting QB - it's nice that Fitz/McCown had career years with the Jets, there should be a line for QB career resurrection :) but that does not help us when they revert back to being who they are - JAG backups who look good compared to petty and hack

I have a couple of major problems with a big free agent QB signing and NOT drafting one:

1. It's the best QB class in a LONG time. We're one of the most QB needy teams and have a high pick - let's just ignore all of the top QBs after it's been proven that a first round QB has a significantly higher chance of success than selecting one in a subsequent rounds.

2. If there is a QB that is talented and doesn't fit the offensive system (Josh Allen), CHANGE the system or get rid of the offensive coordinator! It's infinitely more difficult to find the FQB than an offensive coordinator. Don't draft a guy and try and fit him in the wrong system. It's so important to his success. It should be about the team and winning, not the coaches. Petty and Hack are not WCO QBs - they have strong arms that can throw down field. Same with Josh Allen. BTW, I have a friend that watches a lot of college football and he thinks Josh Allen is going to be the best QB of this class. Why doesn't Bowles and Morton create a system that works with their talent and not their egos?!

For all the flack the Jets take in regards to their draft history, they've got a pretty good record when it comes to selecting a QB in the first round: Namath; Todd, O'Brien, Pennington, and Sanchez.  All became the starter;, Namath won a SB; Namath, Todd, and Sanchez got to 5 conference championship games; Namath and Pennington won 3 of the team's 4 AFC East titles (Vinny won the other); And for the Jets' 14 playoff seasons, these first round QBs were responsible for 13 of them (Vinnie had the other).

So, the Jets have had very good success with first round QBs. There are no Jemarcus Russels, Ryan Leafs, or Tim Couchs in their history. It's about time they go back to the first round QB well. In fact, I'm upset they've waited so long. 

Archived