Wildcard Thoughts

KRL

- Andy Reid = Marty Schottenheimer.  They both build good teams, generate good regular season
records, win divisions and make the playoffs.  But they also produce soul crushing playoff
losses

- Why did Revis come back?  Did he think he would be able to skate to another ring?  He was
the same disinterested player we saw in 2016.  What garbage about how much better shape he
was in

- After watching some of the awful QB's this weekend Alex Smith will be in high demand even 
though he can't produce playoff wins.  If we strike out in our pursuit of Cousins I would 
look into trading for Smith ONLY if we give up a 2019 5th rounder and we still draft a QB
with our #1 pick

- Kelce is KC's most relaible weapon, him going out with a concussion killed their offense.
Hill has incredible speed but he's more of a gimmick player than a consistent WR.  Because
he had too many drops in that game

- Crazy as it sounds but McCown is better than Bortles and Taylor

- In the NFC I'm not going to be shocked if both road teams win next weekend.  I trust Ryan
more than Foles and definitely trust Brees more than Keenum

- I see no possibility of the road teams winning in the AFC.  TEN offense won't be able to
keep up with NE and Bortles won't be able to generate enough point to keep up with PIT

- Impressive first season for LAR but now the real work begins.  Will they be able to keep
their team together because Trumaine Johnson and Sammy Watkins are free agents.  And Aaron
Donald still hasn't been given a new contract and he's the best in the game right now.  Also
will defenses adjust to the tendencies of McVay's offense now that they have a full year
of tape

Good ;post . I would not be surpsied out all that experienced  proven QB in NFC will lead them to road wins next week

Andy Reid and Alex Smith legacy- good regular season can not do it in crunch time in playoffs

That being said under right situation Smith can be  a possibility while we groom a QB drafted

i dont think you can pin the KC loss on Alex Smith, had Reid ran the ball even a few times in the second half, the outcome would be different, and KC would have won that game reasonably easily.

I just pray that Mac is watching these games as you can see how accuracy is far and away the most important quality in a QB.  Bortles and Taylor were routinely missing screen passes and completely crushing their teams offenses on their own, while Brees at 39 years old continues to be as accurate as he was 10 years ago.  Josh Allen cannot be this teams pick at #6 - he simply is too much of a risk, whereas you can put Baker Mayfield on the field and know he is going to at least throw the ball accurately.

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Not sure what Reid was thinking getting so pass happy. They should have been grinding the clock a lot more in the 2nd half.

Did Andy Reid watch last years Super Bowl? My god! Get a lead like that & give the rock to Hunt. He breaks just one & the game is over.

49 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Andy Reid = Marty Schottenheimer.  They both build good teams, generate good regular season
records, win divisions and make the playoffs.  But they also produce soul crushing playoff
losses

Playoff losses > 5-11 for eternity.

- Why did Revis come back?  Did he think he would be able to skate to another ring?  He was
the same disinterested player we saw in 2016.  What garbage about how much better shape he
was in

He's a self-interested guy who wanted more money.  Simple, really.

- After watching some of the awful QB's this weekend Alex Smith will be in high demand even 
though he can't produce playoff wins.  If we strike out in our pursuit of Cousins I would 
look into trading for Smith ONLY if we give up a 2019 5th rounder and we still draft a QB
with our #1 pick

Alex Smith would be the best QB we've had since Pennington at his very best.  He's everything Cousins is at a much reduced cost.  He could allow us to compete in the short term, while still working to find the next Tom Brady in the draft, something you cannot do with Cousins.  

Bortles, maybe.  Taylor, nope.

- In the NFC I'm not going to be shocked if both road teams win next weekend.  I trust Ryan

Eagles look to be in a bad spot.  New Orleans could roll.

- I see no possibility of the road teams winning in the AFC.  TEN offense won't be able to
keep up with NE and Bortles won't be able to generate enough point to keep up with PIT

Jacksonville v. Pittsburgh should/could be the best game of the weekend.  It's no sure thing IMO.

- Impressive first season for LAR but now the real work begins.  Will they be able to keep
their team together because Trumaine Johnson and Sammy Watkins are free agents.  And Aaron
Donald still hasn't been given a new contract and he's the best in the game right now.  Also
will defenses adjust to the tendencies of McVay's offense now that they have a full year
of tape

Meh, good for them, I always like to see bad teams rise up and compete.  

But micro-analysis is better suited for Rams Nation.com, lol.  

20 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Aren't the Jet coaches accused of running the ball with a lead? Followed by how that is a horrible strategy. FYI I don't agree the Jet coaches shut it down with a lead

Well the difference being that Bowles runs the ball while behind. 

Thanks KRL

Watching the AFC in the playoffs has only made me more confident in Kirk Cousins as a QB. Taylor, Bortles, Mariota, and Smith was some weakass competition and all the good AFC QBs are in their late 30s or even early 40s. The QB play overall outside of Brees, Ryan, and Cam was horrendous, though I did miss most of Mariota’s comeback. I liked Goff and think he will slow it down with experience. 

Aaron Donald is on some other sh*t. That guy is going for GOAT. 

Mariota is still a very confusing and interesting player. I hope he stays healthy just to see what kind of ceiling he has. 

Anyone else notice that all the pass rush is coming from the interior? Donald, Campbell, Jordan....

1 hour ago, KRL said:

losses

was in

with our #1 pick

- Kelce is KC's most relaible weapon, him going out with a concussion killed their offense.
Hill has incredible speed but he's more of a gimmick player than a consistent WR.  Because

their team together because Trumaine Johnson and Sammy Watkins are free agents.  
And Aaron
of tape

Sammy Watkins is is vastly overrated. He wasn't an integral part of that offense. It was Gurley/Woods/Cupp and then Watkins a distant 4th. In a high powered offense,  he managed only 39 catches (granted 8 were TDs, but that was more flukey than anything else). 

If McVey is as smart as many think, he won't even think about paying big bucks to his 3rd best WR when, like you said, Donald is still not locked up long term. 

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Why Revis came back is the wrong question.  Why the Chiefs, who presumably watched his tape, thought it would be a good idea to bring him back is really the question.

They were a bad defense for much of the season. They were desperate and hoped Revis could bring a slight upgrade in production, which I think he did. What they didn't account for (and should have known from last years tape) is that while Revis can still cover he has ZERO interest in tackling at this stage of his career. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They were a bad defense for much of the season. They were desperate and hoped Revis could bring a slight upgrade in production, which I think he did. What they didn't account for (and should have known from last years tape) is that while Revis can still cover he has ZERO interest in tackling at this stage of his career. 

I think bringing in a guy who's clearly lost a step (or more), but more importantly, has questionable motivation at this point, is ALWAYS going to be a bad decision.  I wouldn't have done it.

I feel for Alex Smith. He had so many great passes that were dropped. I believe it was his last throw he had to kind of throw it off his back foot. He fit it between the CB & the Safety & the WR miss timed his jump and the ball went off his finger tips. It was such a great throw. 

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Aren't the Jet coaches accused of running the ball with a lead? Followed by how that is a horrible strategy. FYI I don't agree the Jet coaches shut it down with a lead

What lead? The problem with Bowles is that he constantly runs the ball when the team is behind.  On 1st and second down  even when the Jets are double digits behind, rest assured, Bowles will run up the middle over and over.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

with our #1 pick

Alex Smith absolutely can win playoff games.   If the 49ers punt returner doesn't fumble twice, he is in the SB against the Pats instead of the Giants.  Alex on the Jags could win 12 wins in that division, while not costing 30 million a year.

Totally agree on Kelce.

Totally agree on NFC

34 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I feel for Alex Smith. He had so many great passes that were dropped. I believe it was his last throw he had to kind of throw it off his back foot. He fit it between the CB & the Safety & the WR miss timed his jump and the ball went off his finger tips. It was such a great throw. 

I think Alex Smith has become a really good QB.   Not Brady or Rogers, but really good.

No complaints about the officiating?  I didn't pay that much attention, but just before the first field goal, Mariota fumbled.  On the TD pass to himself, Mariota seemed to cross the LOS by a decent amount.  

I don't know why you guys are getting on Revis.  He played pretty well for the Chiefs and before he got there CB2 was a disaster.  He does seem a bit lazy in support, particularly not showing up when the play is on the other side of the field, but he did a decent enough job in coverage.

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

No complaints about the officiating?  I didn't pay that much attention, but just before the first field goal, Mariota fumbled.  On the TD pass to himself, Mariota seemed to cross the LOS by a decent amount.  

I don't know why you guys are getting on Revis.  He played pretty well for the Chiefs and before he got there CB2 was a disaster.  He does seem a bit lazy in support, particularly not showing up when the play is on the other side of the field, but he did a decent enough job in coverage.

Oh yes you do!

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Good post, they might have trouble selling tickets for the titans game in NE if its cold, boring and/or blowout is on deck, no game, BB can bench brady and rest all starters to add to tabloid drama :)

"he signed players off the street and still won that playoff game" LOL

I hope the Titans beat them by 10 using ball control with the running game to keep it out of Tammy's hands.

I think the similiarities between the Jets and Chiefs are interesting.  In many ways the Jets are a poor man's version of the Chiefs.

As we know, Pat Mahomes was the first QB drafted by the Chiefs in the first round since...Todd Blackledge.  They have gotten by with veteran trades or cast offs.  They have drafted well and built premier position units and sub-units.  Their stadium is filled with loud, passionate fans.  They produce a decent product, making the playoffs frequently but always losing in the playoffs, and do not take risks with their high draft picks.   It would appear that the Jets' strategy is similar, but the Chiefs are better at it.

I don't believe that the Jets want to make the Super Bowl.  I think the Johnson's want to fill the stadium and be always competitive.  I think they would give body parts to get back to where they were 7-10 years ago.  

But based on this, it is easy to see how the Jets would give up a high draft pick to get Alex Smith and an appearance of competence.  A second round pick could be a 4+ year center or RB.  They should not give that up for a 1-2 QB who is never getting them to the SB.

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Thanks KRL

Watching the AFC in the playoffs has only made me more confident in Kirk Cousins as a QB. Taylor, Bortles, Mariota, and Smith was some weakass competition and all the good AFC QBs are in their late 30s or even early 40s. The QB play overall outside of Brees, Ryan, and Cam was horrendous, though I did miss most of Mariota’s comeback. I liked Goff and think he will slow it down with experience. 

Aaron Donald is on some other sh*t. That guy is going for GOAT. 

Mariota is still a very confusing and interesting player. I hope he stays healthy just to see what kind of ceiling he has. 

Anyone else notice that all the pass rush is coming from the interior? Donald, Campbell, Jordan....

Good point, I hadn’t noticed but that just makes our lamentable efforts with so many 1st rounders ever more painful to digest and frustrating

4 hours ago, KRL said:

losses

was in

with our #1 pick

of tape

- Agreed.  

- Money and he's delusional plus he didn't have to go to camp and work hard because he's a slouch

- Smith was fine.  He was let down by his receivers drops and Kelce going out.  While in SF, if it weren't for terrible ST's, Smith would have made a Super Bowl largely because of his play.  I think Smith can win in the playoffs.

- Kelce and Gronk are straight game changers who make their offenses totally different when available

- Nah.

- Jax smoked Pitt, in Pitt during the regular season.  That D can win any game any day when on.

- I think the Rams are just a young team.  At one point did they show a stat that only 3 players on the Rams had been to the playoffs as opposed to 33 on the Falcons?  Experience matters in the playoffs.  Getting tape on anyone doesn't really matter if you execute.  See; Patriots. 

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, RESNewYork said:

Yes, but they don't have Hunt.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:45 AM, BCJet said:

i dont think you can pin the KC loss on Alex Smith, had Reid ran the ball even a few times in the second half, the outcome would be different, and KC would have won that game reasonably easily.

I just pray that Mac is watching these games as you can see how accuracy is far and away the most important quality in a QB.  Bortles and Taylor were routinely missing screen passes and completely crushing their teams offenses on their own, while Brees at 39 years old continues to be as accurate as he was 10 years ago.  Josh Allen cannot be this teams pick at #6 - he simply is too much of a risk, whereas you can put Baker Mayfield on the field and know he is going to at least throw the ball accurately.

i agree about smith.  even in the jet game smith made some awful nice long throws.  the jets won that game because they got all the lucky breaks for once.  and the jets beat jax mainly because bortles couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.  passing accuracy can't be overstressed.

Archived