Draft value chart

section314

Assuming the goal is to get ahead of Denver(#5) for a QB, here are the corresponding numbers.

Pick #

1  3000 pts

2 2600 pts

3 2200 pts

4 1800 pts

6 1600 pts

Our 2nd&3rd round picks

37 530 pts

49 410 pts 

72 230 pts.

Never know what will happen in FA, but the ammo is definitely there.

What would Buffalo have to give up? Every media on person on Twitter is saying "Bills need a QB, they have the ammo if necessary" but they're picking like 21 and 22. I just can't see why a top 5 team would want to drop down so far. 

Unless they target one of the 2nd tier guys below the top 3. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

What would Buffalo have to give up? Every media on person on Twitter is saying "Bills need a QB, they have the ammo if necessary" but they're picking like 21 and 22. I just can't see why a top 5 team would want to drop down so far. 

Unless they target one of the 2nd tier guys below the top 3. 

You're right.  BUF making the playoffs hurt their goal of trading up for a QB.

Two #1's in the 20's isn't attractive to a team in the top 10.  They could move

up to the middle of the first round but that's about it

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

All I can think of is if they give up a lot more, and the team trading back takes those two picks to move back up towards the middle if they don't mind that. OR a team like SF, they've got their QB now so gathering a bunch of picks i'm sure is something that's attractive to them. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Assuming the goal is to get ahead of Denver(#5) for a QB, here are the corresponding numbers.

Pick #

1  3000 pts

2 2600 pts

3 2200 pts

4 1800 pts

6 1600 pts

Our 2nd&3rd round picks

37 530 pts

49 410 pts 

72 230 pts.

You left pick 5 out. Is 1600 for pick 5 or pick 6?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I want us to keep all of our picks in 2018 so I'm more than willing to give up our

#1 in 2019

Completely disagree, would do what need to do to keep next year's 1.  While I expect Jets to improve enough for that pick to be at least in the double digits, there's a reasonable chance it isn't.  Don't want to risk giving up such a high pick, would much rather give up multiple 2nd and 3rds (including this and future years).

58 minutes ago, KRL said:

IF Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield were all gone by the time we picked at 6, I would consider trading down for two 1st's and picking up a different prospect.

Then again, if Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield are gone, I would doubt the Bills move up to get a QB.  Then again, they did pick EJ Manuel, so....:)

#6, second 2 and the 3 - gets us up to 3...

but that's only in theory. If Buffalo steps up with their two 1's (do they also have their 2?) - it'll be tough to get there without really breaking the bank.

It'll def. be harder to for Denver to get ahead of us.

The way I see it though - it's either Cousins or trade up to 3...

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Pick #

1  3000 pts

2 2600 pts

3 2200 pts

4 1800 pts

6 1600 pts

Our 2nd&3rd round picks

37 530 pts

49 410 pts 

72 230 pts.

The only problem with the draft value chart is that it basically gets thrown out the window when multiple teams are trying to trade up and when they're trying to trade up for a QB.

I would not be shocked at all if it costs us this year's 1st, both 2nds and a high 2019 pick to move up.

The simple law of supply and demand. 

8 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The only problem with the draft value chart is that it basically gets thrown out the window when multiple teams are trying to trade up and when they're trying to trade up for a QB.

I would not be shocked at all if it costs us this year's 1st, both 2nds and a high 2019 pick to move up.

The simple law of supply and demand. 

agreed...and that's just to get to 3.  Although I'm not sure anyone is really going to be able to match #6, and both two's in the top half.  Might be able to get away with that.  having a full draft next year.

I think it's a long shot to get to 1 or 2.  I can't imagine the Giants or Cleveland passing on Darnold/Rosen.

I think the most likely scenario is:

- The top 2 QBs go simply to the Browns and Giants.

- We stay put and take Mayfield at 6.

After the combine, it's going to be clear that even 6 is a huge reach for Mayfield.  He'll be there.  Whether or not we take him - TBD.  I hope we do...

5 minutes ago, thshadow said:

After the combine, it's going to be clear that even 6 is a huge reach for Mayfield.  He'll be there.  Whether or not we take him - TBD.  I hope we do...

The combine won't be the deciding factor for Mayfiled. The Senior Bowl for both Allen and Mayfield (and even Luke Falk) will be a far better test for those guys. How they perform during the week will be critical and fun to watch.

This may be the best senior bowl class I can remember. Not even counting the QBs, the RBs are pretty good too with Penny/Wadley and the WRS are decent. Will be a must watch for Jets fans imo. 

13 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I hope you're right but I just don't see Mayfield getting to 6.  Just too many QB needy teams.  Someone will leapfrog us to grab him if we sit back.  If Mac has him as "his guy" he's gotta jump up to 3 to get him.

I hope I'm wrong and we can get him at 6.  Boy what a stressful draft this is going to be! A lot of fun though...

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Pick #

1  3000 pts

2 2600 pts

3 2200 pts

4 1800 pts

6 1600 pts

Our 2nd&3rd round picks

37 530 pts

49 410 pts 

72 230 pts.

The Jets are not moving to the #1 overall pick for anything less than this year's #1, both #2's and next year's #1.  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

If Buffalo steps up with their two 1's (do they also have their 2?) - it'll be tough to get there without really breaking the bank.

Buffalo has two 1s and two 2s.  KCs one from the Mahomes trade and they acquired the Rams 2 for Sammy Watkins.  The good news is that our 1 is worth about the same as their two 1s and the 20s is an awfully long drop from 3.  Also both of their 2s are later than both of our 2s since the Rams will also be picking in the 20s. 

If we are motivated to move up, we have the ammunition to move up to 3 or 4 and should be able to outbid Buffalo.

As we think through all of these scenarios, I also think about how free agency/trade market could impact some of these teams.  If you are Buffalo, would you rather trade a day 2 pick for an Alex Smith (they have four day 2 picks) than part with your two #1s and more to move ahead of us for a rookie.  Where is Kirk Cousins going to end up -- would Elway feel better with a veteran rather than adding another young QB, and would he make a play for Cousins. 

Where these and other guys go could significantly change the QB landscape between now and the draft.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The Jets are not moving to the #1 overall pick for anything less than this year's #1, both #2's and next year's #1.  

I doubt that the #1 pick is in play. I think 2,3 or 4 may be. That will be the focus. Cleveland CAN NOT go 1-31 and trade out of #1. If they do, the fans will have more than a parade in store for them.

We have to pray that the Browns or the Giants do not go Qb it is as simple as that for me.

Giants will be stupid not to do so.  We have to hope that Cleveland goes and gets a vet QB and loves someone else at #1

If Darnold and Rosen are gone 1 and 2 we are pooched.  (I know a lot of people love Mayfield but I still regard him and the rest a full notch lower.)

Regardless if the Jets like one of the other guys they have to take them even if they feel 'value wise' they are a bit lower.

I think you are looking at it wrong. The pick value chart is a garbage system when talking about trading up. to match value of the new pick because those spots are only as valuable as the player being selected. I do think you can use it to compare the value of other teams picks vs your own in the event you need to beat their deal:

Buffalo's (21) + (22) + (53) + (60) = 2250 points

Jets (6) + (37) + (72) = 2234

That's without using our Seattle pick so realistically we have the fire power to beat any team in a trade up if we want to, the question comes down to does Macc pull the trigger.

If I'm Cleveland I take the best QB at #1 and then hold the #4 pick hostage, particularly if only 2 QBs are gone by that point.  Pick #4 would be the action spot for a team to come up for Mayfield, Allen, etc.   If Darnold and Rosen are gone 1, 2, and the Colts are confident in Luck's rehab then they need to take Barkley at #3.  Cleveland is sitting pretty in this draft......(but we all know they'll screw the pooch anyway)

1 hour ago, Lith said:

As we think through all of these scenarios, I also think about how free agency/trade market could impact some of these teams.  If you are Buffalo, would you rather trade a day 2 pick for an Alex Smith (they have four day 2 picks) than part with your two #1s and more to move ahead of us for a rookie.  Where is Kirk Cousins going to end up -- would Elway feel better with a veteran rather than adding another young QB, and would he make a play for Cousins. 

Where these and other guys go could significantly change the QB landscape between now and the draft.

Maybe Buffalo will see themselves as one QB short of being a contender.  Smith would be a good fit for them, they're a run first and play defense kind of team.  

Archived