For the folks who have been here for awhile: "Worst ingame startegist? Herm or Bowles?"

SouthernJet

So who is a worse ingame manager/adjuster/startegist/game manager? Bowles or Herm?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. So who is a worse ingame manager/adjuster/startegist/game manager? Bowles or Herm? 

• Bowles
    • Herm

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Like running the ball to try and kick a long FG into the wind at Heinz Field. Bowles in conservative Herm was ultra conservative .

But is that any better than kicking a FG down 20 points to the Pats in the 4 Qt of a meaningless game. Or something like that.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO Bowles is already the fourth best coach the Jets have ever had. Weeb Ewbank, Walt Michaels, Bill Parcells, than Todd Bowles. Why he gets no, or so little, credit is beyond me. 

Has he truly developed a player yet???   He plays over the hill VETS when youth is what is needed. 

3 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Wasn't it Dick Curl  or Jimmy "someone" (offensive coach) or other who was hired to take over clock managment because Herm was so bad at it ? A good idea but there seemed little difference after we had a fulltime clock guy.

I remember something like that.....

i dunno. They both are similar. Just awful clock mangement, predictable play calling, both players coaches, no adjusting or schemes.

at least herm had some passion and was a personality. Bowles is low energy

41 minutes ago, HessStation said:

But is that any better than kicking a FG down 20 points to the Pats in the 4 Qt of a meaningless game. Or something like that.

If you remember the game it was a much worse decision with a berth in AFC championship game on the line. 

32 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

On the one hand, Herm literally had to hire a guy because he couldn't grasp the concepts of clocks and time. On the other, Bowles lost a playoff spot on the last week of the season to Rex ******* Ryan.

We suck.

Herm says he likes clocks and dont be late for the BBQ

usatsi_6907174_153192880_lowres.jpg

Herm was far worse, imo. His tenure was the beginning of the bs coaching they’ve had since Parcells. Worst coaching since Parcells belongs to Rex though. Bowles is a genius compared to Rex. Talk about a stink fest when that guy rode into town. He never made adjustments at half time. Ever. I put Mangini and Herm in the same boat. Totally different methods, both equally and completely ineffective.

Man, we’ve had some bad coaches since Bill.

Todd Bowles must be the biggest wuss ever to coach in the NFl. Too scared to play hackenberg because he isn’t sure he can play.. Ok dude we are 5-10 I think we can handle the risk. We are down by more than two tds in Denver before the half and he is running out the clock like we have a the big lead. Late in game vs pats we are down 24-3 and he is trying to kick a FG. That is just weakness. He should create his own ultra lite weak sauce ?

Herm's entire game plan was to stall the game hoping it would be 10-10 going into the fourth quarter, thinking he could win 50% of those games.

It was infuriating - bend-but-don't-break prevent defense and a nickle and dime offense with a great punter.     

7 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Herm won the AFC east and shutout Peyton Manning in a playoff game.  Only thing Bowles won is a care package from Chips Ahoy.

That AFC East championship had more to do with a pre injury Pennington looking like the next Montana than it did with Herm. We started that year terribly with Vinny because Herm (much like Bowles was criticized for) didn't want to play the young QB. Only after a very slow start to the season did we switch over to Pennington. 

5 hours ago, legler82 said:

Herm was significantly a better coach Monday through Saturday but Bowles edges Herm out ever so slightly on Sundays.  That's not saying much as they are both terrible in game.

Herm was a Cover 2 devotee.  Neither knows anything about offense, clock management, timeouts, late game decisions.  Herm would be bad at challenges-just  like bowles--if there had been challenges in his time.  Both stunk/stink---no matter what Manish says.  The Jets do everything wrong

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

That AFC East championship had more to do with a pre injury Pennington looking like the next Montana than it did with Herm. We started that year terribly with Vinny because Herm (much like Bowles was criticized for) didn't want to play the young QB. Only after a very slow start to the season did we switch over to Pennington. 

Still Herm had the balls to pull his Vet and play the young QB.  I remember Pennington looked shaky in preseason and media was reporting that he was  very inconsistent in practice that year.  Knowing what I know now, I doubt Pennington would have gotten a shot under Bowles that year.

12 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I remember something like that.....

i dunno. They both are similar. Just awful clock mangement, predictable play calling, both players coaches, no adjusting or schemes.

at least herm had some passion and was a personality. Bowles is low energy

Someone highlighted a few weeks back how the Jets coach choices seem to alternate between flim-flam, soapbox preachers to monosyllabic, emotionally challenged coaches - Edwards, Magini, Ryan, Bowles.

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

We must abide by the rooney rule. 

Or something to that effect.

it wasnt worst coach poll, it was worst ingame manager. If you want worst coach poll go for it. I would take Herm&Bowles over Walton/Kotite anyday cause they could at least  get players to play for them. 

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

how many games did we blow late? There weren't many of them.

I remember more times when he would bypass a FG and go for a TD on 4th and more than a few yards when we were down 2 scores (and in FG range) late and go for TD instead and I am yelling at tv "YOU NEED TO SCORE TWICE" 

14 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

I remember more times when he would bypass a FG and go for a TD on 4th and more than a few yards when we were down 2 scores (and in FG range) late and go for TD instead and I am yelling at tv "YOU NEED TO SCORE TWICE" 

he had his faults but it's ludicrous to compare him to Bowles who has been a disaster so far.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he had his faults but it's ludicrous to compare him to Bowles who has been a disaster so far.

Not a Bowles fan once the whistle blows. cant think on his feet quickly, its very obvious by lack of adjustments and inability to counter when teams adjust to us. He is Lost.

lost.tv_.show_.jpg

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Kotite would take the cake as worst HC - no question in my mind.  Herm won playoff games.  Bowles has won 10 games.

In reality it's between Holtz and Kotite as the worst HC the Jets have ever had. No other HC is even in the same zip code.

Archived