Bears New HC Matt Nagy

jetsons

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000904284/article/matt-nagy-named-head-coach-of-chicago-bears

The Chicago Bears found the coach to shepherd them into a new era.

The team announced Monday it hired Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy as its new head coach.

Nagy interviewed with Bears GM Ryan Pace on Sunday, following the Chiefs' playoff loss on Saturday. Nagy also interviewed with the Indianapolis Colts for their coaching vacancy, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Nagy takes over a Bears team that earned six or fewer wins and finished fourth in the NFC North each of the last four seasons.

The 39-year-old spent his entire coaching career under Andy Reid, taking his first NFL job as an intern with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2008. Nagy was elevated to an assistant in 2010 and quality control coach in 2011. Nagy then traveled with Reid to Kansas City in 2013 as the quarterbacks coach. He was elevated to offensive coordinator in 2016.

Nagy became a hot coaching candidate after Reid handed over play-calling duties during the Chiefs' mid-season offensive struggles. K.C.'s offense perked up with Nagy calling the shots. Alex Smith's deep passing game returned, and Nagy used a bevy of run-pass options to breathe life back into a stagnated run-game.

In November, Reid called Nagy the best head coaching prospect he's ever had -- a list that includes Doug Pederson, Ron Rivera, John Harbaugh and Sean McDermott.

Hiring Nagy is a great sign for the development Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. Nagy helped coax the best season of Alex Smith's career in 2017 and aided the development of Chiefs first-round pick Patrick Mahomes.

Getting an offensive mind in the building to nurture Trubisky was the Bears' No. 1 priority this offseason. Nagy is their man. His tenure will be defined by how quickly Trubisky develops into the franchise quarterback the Bears have searched generations to find.

With Nagy locked down, the Bears' brass will turn their attention to the defensive side of the ball. Rapoport reported Chicago is attempting to retain defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, whose contract expires on Tuesday. Fangio could have several suitors if he decides to leave Chicago.

..."

On one hand I look at the Chiefs, the role he played under Reid, how the Chiefs performed this year, and wonder if this is a good hire and whether the job is too big for him.  He is not as renowned on offense and Bowles was on defense.

But on the other hand, the Bears are not necessarily hiring a Head Coach.  They are hiring someone to develop their young QB.  The HC title is just a dressing.  

And yes, this is where the Jets come off the rails.  Some teams invest in serious coaches opposite the HC-usually a DC when the HC is offensive-minded.  The question will continue to be raised whether Bowles/Morton/Bates can develop a rookie QB, and whether Morton's system is too narrow for the QB prospects.  

Expect a few teams to chase Cousins, and the loser to try and work out a trade with KC (i.e. get extorted) for Smith.

We'll see how this goes.  I'm not going to lie, I really don't get the love for a guy whose resume features one partial season of coordinating experience, and being given credit for the performance of an already good (though not great) QB in his 30s.  I'd hardly consider that any sort of hard evidence that he's the perfect candidate to groom a young QB.  I don't have anything against him mind you, but he still seems to be a pretty big question mark at this point.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

We'll see how this goes.  I'm not going to lie, I really don't get the love for a guy whose resume features one partial season of coordinating experience, and being given credit for the performance of an already good (though not great) QB in his 30s.  I'd hardly consider that any sort of hard evidence that he's the perfect candidate to groom a young QB.  I don't have anything against him mind you, but he still seems to be a pretty big question mark at this point.

He took over full duty this year and was very much responsible for the explosive offense the past 2-3 years.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

This...

In November, Reid called Nagy the best head coaching prospect he's ever had -- a list that includes Doug Pederson, Ron Rivera, John Harbaugh and Sean McDermott.

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Lol the Bears traded up for Trubisky

People laughed about Goff his first season too... way too early, the jury is still out... at least they have something to look forward to... we have ZERO.  :/  

1 minute ago, jetsons said:

People laughed about Goff his first season too... way too early, the jury is still out... at least they have something to look forward to... we have ZERO.  :/  

Goff was a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better prospect than Trubisky, a one year starter in college. 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

On one hand I look at the Chiefs, the role he played under Reid, how the Chiefs performed this year, and wonder if this is a good hire and whether the job is too big for him.  He is not as renowned on offense and Bowles was on defense.

But on the other hand, the Bears are not necessarily hiring a Head Coach.  They are hiring someone to develop their young QB.  The HC title is just a dressing.  

And yes, this is where the Jets come off the rails.  Some teams invest in serious coaches opposite the HC-usually a DC when the HC is offensive-minded.  The question will continue to be raised whether Bowles/Morton/Bates can develop a rookie QB, and whether Morton's system is too narrow for the QB prospects.  

Expect a few teams to chase Cousins, and the loser to try and work out a trade with KC (i.e. get extorted) for Smith.

I saw the Ciefs twice, both games they started fast, and then faded badly.  Very Marty Mornhinweig-ish, IMHO

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He took over full duty this year and was very much responsible for the explosive offense the past 2-3 years.

It's certainly possible (although Pederson was the OC there 3 years ago), but even that "full duty" this year didn't start until well into the season.  There were even mumblings about who was calling the plays at different points during this last game.  Don't get me wrong, he could very well turn out to be a great hire for the Bears, and I have no reason to believe he's definitely bad, but rather a bit unknown.  Basically, I just don't think he has a particularly impressive resume at this point.

Let’s see, draft a young qb early and help him by hiring a young offensive HC known for developing young QBs.  

I thought the nfl today was all about defense?  What the heck are they thinking?  I thought all HCs needs to be defensive guys and you always draft defense in the first round.  

I am confused.  

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Goff was a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better prospect than Trubisky, a one year starter in college. 

Duh Goff was a better prospect. Above average accuracy and nice anticipation/ball placement. With that said Mitch didn’t look terrible in the games I seen him in. He excels in roll outs, play action. Ect. Needs to polish up..but he hasn’t proved to be a bust by any means yet. 

Archived