London games feelings?

EnglandJets

I am not a big fan of taking home games away from teams, but, if they are going to play a few games in London each year, I can live with it.  I would prefer if they play them in the evening local time so they still fit into a normal time slot for the fans back home.

That said, next time the Jets play in London, it is a road trip I would love to make.

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I have no emotional reaction to them, so I feel nothing.

Sucks for the teams playing, because of the extra travel and loss of a legit home game for one of them, but the NFL is a business, and the international market the next step.

Yeah I think Jags will locate to London eventually

Better in Manchester :-)

Expensive, difficult to get to, and full of random Fans mostly wearing Tom Brady jerseys, regardless of who's playing.

It was as easy for me to go to the US to watch the Jets, than go to London.

I live in Northern England. Where men are men, and sheep are scared!

P.S If anyone wants a Jets V Miami scarf from the Wembley game, I have a spare.

16 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It especially sucks for the “home” team in those games.

Yeah especially with so few games in a season for the fans.

There was talk of the uk soccer premiership teams playing one game in the usa per year but to do this they would add an extra game to the season. however soccer teams play alot of games a season so just in the premiership that would be 19 home games without all the extra cup competitions.

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Expensive, difficult to get to, and full of random Fans mostly wearing Tom Brady jerseys, regardless of who's playing.

It was as easy for me to go to the US to watch the Jets, than got London.

me I want it :)

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

It was as easy for me to go to the US to watch the Jets, than got London.

yeah manchester would be so easy for me, suppose issue is where as same time as premiership season.

London is way too expensive to visit like you say might as well visit usa instead

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not a big fan of taking home games away from teams, but, if they are going to play a few games in London each year, I can live with it.  I would prefer if they play them in the evening local time so they still fit into a normal time slot for the fans back home.

That said, next time the Jets play in London, it is a road trip I would love to make.

Is'nt there talk of them playing this year in London?

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

Great game last night. Sucks to come so close, but you should be be VERY proud of your guys. Congrats. BTW, think Michel just made himself a ton of $ last night.

31 minutes ago, section314 said:

Great game last night. Sucks to come so close, but you should be be VERY proud of your guys. Congrats. BTW, think Michel just made himself a ton of $ last night.

Thanks.  It was a great season, but a very disappointing end last night.  Now I know how the Oklahoma fans felt while we were celebrating last week.  Not to derail this thread, but I could not figure out why our Coaching Staff would not ride the hot hand with Michel in the 4th quarter last night.  He was consistently making people miss and generating positive plays when there was little to nothing there.  Yet we just kept giving it to Chubb.  Still think we win that game if Michel carries more of the load when we had the ball up 2 scores in the 4th quarter.

1 hour ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I have always felt these games are a money grab for the league and a waste of time.

When the uk fans were polled over 50% said they did'nt want a nfl team, so looks like there happy to see the current teams. I believe the fan base is growing every year tho. they are watered down games no doubt tho. id be surprised if there was more than 20% of attendance actaully being fans of the teams.

There are a lot of hangers on at these games with no real attachment - I hate seeing social media during the games and the local coverage always roll out z-list 'celebs' who are privalaged to attend on the sideline. I never played 'Football' as a kid, being from the UK (from the south for the Northern monkey who said men are only men if they are from the north;)), so it is not in my 'fabric' as i guess it is for Americans but I love watching it, and am invested throughout the year via Game Pass and whatever podcast or website I can find. I have invested time to understand the nuances of the game and it dominates my week in or out of season.

I attended a couple of games a few years back and was in awe of the fans that I spoke to who had made the journey from the States. Thats commitment. I would hate to lose a West Ham game (thats real pain Jets fans, to be a fan of West Ham AND the Jets) to another country so I could live without them in my country. The quality this year especially was also terrible.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Thanks.  It was a great season, but a very disappointing end last night.  Now I know how the Oklahoma fans felt while we were celebrating last week.  Not to derail this thread, but I could not figure out why our Coaching Staff would not ride the hot hand with Michel in the 4th quarter last night.  He was consistently making people miss and generating positive plays when there was little to nothing there.  Yet we just kept giving it to Chubb.  Still think we win that game if Michel carries more of the load when we had the ball up 2 scores in the 4th quarter.

Ikr? Terrible. It felt eerily similar to the way Bowles curls up in a ball late in games and becomes completely risk averse

13 minutes ago, JetHammer said:

There are a lot of hangers on at these games with no real attachment - I hate seeing social media during the games and the local coverage always roll out z-list 'celebs' who are privalaged to attend on the sideline. I never played 'Football' as a kid, being from the UK (from the south for the Northern monkey who said men are only men if they are from the north;)), so it is not in my 'fabric' as i guess it is for Americans but I love watching it, and am invested throughout the year via Game Pass and whatever podcast or website I can find. I have invested time to understand the nuances of the game and it dominates my week in or out of season.

I attended a couple of games a few years back and was in awe of the fans that I spoke to who had made the journey from the States. Thats commitment. I would hate to lose a West Ham game (thats real pain Jets fans, to be a fan of West Ham AND the Jets) to another country so I could live without them in my country. The quality this year especially was also terrible.

I agree abt load of hangers on, would'nt like to know how many tickets are given from businesses to their staff. i'm considering going this year but tbh prefer to save up & see a real game @ metlife. 

2 hours ago, EnglandJets said:

Yeah I think Jags will locate to London eventually

Do you think there would be enough support for them if they did?

I'm UK based, convenient for London, but I wouldn't become a Jags fan if they moved to London, I'd still follow the Jets. And as most of the fans that attend the London games already mostly follow a team of their own, I imagine it'd take a LONG time till you would get true "London Jags" fans.

I'm still not sure what the league's long term strategy is here.

3 hours ago, EnglandJets said:

How do you guys feel about NFL games being played in London?

From a Fantasy Football point of view, unless a superstud, I never play a London game player or a Thursday Nite game player. They underperform from usual average.

I don't like them but they don't care what I like.  I'd rather send a SB over to London than have teams lose home games.  The SB isn't real football anyway, it's a concert and commercials interrupted by football every once in a while.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't like them but they don't care what I like.  I'd rather send a SB over to London than have teams lose home games.  The SB isn't real football anyway, it's a concert and commercials interrupted by football every once in a while.

with crazy ass long halftime which players havent had to deal with all year of if ever in their career. Sure took Falcons out of rhythm.

I have no objection to games in London.  Glad they are playing at different venues than Wembley which sometimes has very poor footing.

I cannot see the logistics of actually having a team in London working.  For an East Coast franchise, the flight is reasonable.  For a team on the West Coast, it is nearly half way around the world.  

Not to mention the difference in tax rates and how that affects a salary cap.  MLB, MLS, and the NHL make it work with Canada.  I dont know how that would work with England.

Think about it this way.  Could a club in Los Angeles function in the Premier League?

16 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I have no objection to games in London.  Glad they are playing at different venues than Wembley which sometimes has very poor footing.

I cannot see the logistics of actually having a team in London working.  For an East Coast franchise, the flight is reasonable.  For a team on the West Coast, it is nearly half way around the world.  

Not to mention the difference in tax rates and how that affects a salary cap.  MLB, MLS, and the NHL make it work with Canada.  I dont know how that would work with England.

Think about it this way.  Could a club in Los Angeles function in the Premier League?

they would have to alter schedules to 1 - put them in east coast conference and 2 - allow only east coast teams to play them in non conf games home and away. You cant expect a team to travel 9-10 hours for games . They might bundle west coast games (back to back for away games so they stay in US, but there is no solution for a west coast team to have to go over there (unless they figure out way to give them a BYE after they play there?)

1 hour ago, JetHammer said:

Not to be miss quoted I said " I live in Northern England. Where men are men, and sheep are scared!"

"Northern Monkey" "West Ham" your not one of ICF boys, or West Ham won the World people?

Perhaps all that Shandy, pie and liquir, is going to your head :-)

Archived