Kirk Cousins would seriously consider playing for Browns

Patriot Killa

Edit:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2753513-kirk-cousins-would-reportedly-seriously-consider-playing-for-browns.amp.html

Kirk Cousins is apparently not intimidated by the Cleveland Browns' quarterback graveyard. 

During an appearance on 92.3 The Fan on Wednesday, Albert Breer of the MMQB reported Cousins would "seriously consider" the Browns if he hit free agency (h/t Kyle Kelly of Browns Wire).

Cousins, 29, could be an unrestricted free agent in March if he's unable to reach a contract agreement with Washington. He has played each of the last two seasons under the franchise tag, making the potential for a third tag seem unlikely.

Washington would have to pay Cousins $34.5 million under the franchise tag. The transition tag, which would require a $28 million salary, is also a possibility.

Washington coach Jay Gruden told Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post he does not want Cousins back on another one-year deal.

"I think something has to be done. I personally don't want to go through another one-year deal, and just [keep going] one year, one year," Gruden said. "I think you want to have a quarterback in here that's going to be here. And hopefully that is Kirk, and if not, we have to move on and do what we have to do as an organization.

"For the most part, the great quarterbacks are in the same system year in and year out, and are developing in that system. [Teams are] not holding our breath every March and April, waiting for the guy. But if that's the case, that's the case. But we like Kirk and his development. He's played well at times, without a doubt, proven that he's a good starting NFL quarterback."

Cousins threw for 4,093 yards and 27 touchdowns against 13 interceptions during the regular season. He saw his numbers markedly decline from his Pro Bowl campaign in 2016, with his QBR dropping more than 16 points. In December, Cousins completed just 56.7 percent of his passes and posted a 75.0 passer rating to complete a 7-9 season on a low note.

When you're 7-9, you know it's hard to say, 'Wow, this guy really was outstanding,'" Gruden told reporters. "Kirk had his flashes where he was really good. From a consistent standpoint, over the course of 16 games, you know we're 7-9."

The Browns have started 27 different quarterbacks since coming back to the NFL in 1999. DeShone Kizer started 15 games in 2017, posting an NFL-low 60.5 quarterback rating and throwing an NFL-high 22 interceptions. 

B11962A3-9E53-486C-998E-C01751B7CBE7.jpeg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Edit:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2753513-kirk-cousins-would-reportedly-seriously-consider-playing-for-browns.amp.html

Kirk Cousins is apparently not intimidated by the Cleveland Browns' quarterback graveyard. 

During an appearance on 92.3 The Fan on Wednesday, Albert Breer of the MMQB reported Cousins would "seriously consider" the Browns if he hit free agency (h/t Kyle Kelly of Browns Wire).

Cousins, 29, could be an unrestricted free agent in March if he's unable to reach a contract agreement with Washington. He has played each of the last two seasons under the franchise tag, making the potential for a third tag seem unlikely.

Washington would have to pay Cousins $34.5 million under the franchise tag. The transition tag, which would require a $28 million salary, is also a possibility.

Washington coach Jay Gruden told Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post he does not want Cousins back on another one-year deal.

"I think something has to be done. I personally don't want to go through another one-year deal, and just [keep going] one year, one year," Gruden said. "I think you want to have a quarterback in here that's going to be here. And hopefully that is Kirk, and if not, we have to move on and do what we have to do as an organization.

"For the most part, the great quarterbacks are in the same system year in and year out, and are developing in that system. [Teams are] not holding our breath every March and April, waiting for the guy. But if that's the case, that's the case. But we like Kirk and his development. He's played well at times, without a doubt, proven that he's a good starting NFL quarterback."

Cousins threw for 4,093 yards and 27 touchdowns against 13 interceptions during the regular season. He saw his numbers markedly decline from his Pro Bowl campaign in 2016, with his QBR dropping more than 16 points. In December, Cousins completed just 56.7 percent of his passes and posted a 75.0 passer rating to complete a 7-9 season on a low note.

When you're 7-9, you know it's hard to say, 'Wow, this guy really was outstanding,'" Gruden told reporters. "Kirk had his flashes where he was really good. From a consistent standpoint, over the course of 16 games, you know we're 7-9."

The Browns have started 27 different quarterbacks since coming back to the NFL in 1999. DeShone Kizer started 15 games in 2017, posting an NFL-low 60.5 quarterback rating and throwing an NFL-high 22 interceptions. 

B11962A3-9E53-486C-998E-C01751B7CBE7.jpeg

So IT is ALL about the money with him. I guess we have a chance then when we grossly over pay him ?

Everyone laughs at the browns because that's what you guys are programmed to do. But the Browns could draft Barkley and an OL in top ten, to go along with njoku, Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman an then spend the rest of their cap money on more pieces and become a playoff team overnight with cousins. 

They also have Myles Jarrett and a few nice pieces on defense.

I'd rather be a Browns fan today than a skins fan. 

I'm telling you. He wants be looked as a savior for a team, where the fan base loves him. Cousins will go to the Browns over the Jets, be successful and the Jets will be the new Browns without the top picks because they're too busy riding the mediocre wave. 

The off season is long.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

I'm telling you. He wants be looked as a savior for a team, where the fan base loves him. Cousins will go to the Browns over the Jets, be successful and the Jets will be the new Browns without the top picks because they're too busy riding the mediocre wave. 

The off season is long.

How do I die?

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Everyone laughs at the browns because that's what you guys are programmed to do. But the Browns could draft Barkley and an OL in top ten, to go along with njoku, Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman an then spend the rest of their cap money on more pieces and become a playoff team overnight with cousins. 

They also have Myles Jarrett and a few nice pieces on defense.

I'd rather be a Browns fan today than a skins fan. 

I'd rather be a Browns fan today than a Jets fan.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

The off season is long.

Yep. He will always be the ugly stepchild to Snyder’s RGIII. Honestly Cousins deserves better. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dude come on you looking for attention like Kirk Cousins, he's out for a money grab not saying I blame him but don't want to see the Jets overpay for his services. 

The Browns dude really? 

You think the Jets are better than the Browns? Not by much, if at all.

Who's draft picks this year would you rather have?

You love Mac and Bowles, do ya?

Should I go on or would that be some more attention grabbing?

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

You think the Jets are better than the Browns? Not by much, if at all.

Who's draft picks this year would you rather have?

You love Mac and Bowles, do ya?

Should I go on or would that be some more attention grabbing?

Yes 

Browns 

No way in hell 

No we understand each other

26 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think you could make a legitimate argument that Cousins, Saquon Barkley and whatever at 4(OT? Chubb to go with Garrett? CB?) makes could be just as good, if not better, than drafting a QB at 1 and hoping he pans out.

If I were them would go Chubb and Mayfield. Redundancy at the most expensive positions is a franchise’s dream.

JMHT but alot of you guys really oversell the number of garaunteed years Cousins is going to get out of this deal. 3 max, my guess is two for the teams that can afford it, before the deal really gets team friendly should he prove worth keeping. If someone offers more then they can have him, but this is the NFL so expect some totally not collusion. 

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think you could make a legitimate argument that Cousins, Saquon Barkley and whatever at 4(OT? Chubb to go with Garrett? CB?) makes could be just as good, if not better, than drafting a QB at 1 and hoping he pans out.

Going with cousins or maybe Alex Smith is their best bet to getting back to being relevant and changing that culture. Instead of having everyone wait to see how the drafted QB will screw up and be a failure. 

49 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'd rather be a Browns fan today than a Jets fan.

If they make some good decisions in Free Agency and have a good draft, they can easily make the playoffs next year. If I would have told people before the season that the Rams would win 11 games this year, they would have laughed. The Browns are poised to be far more talented next year. 

Archived