Chris Simms: Sam Darnold Has Flaws; Baker Mayfield Is Best QB in NCAA

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Dcat said:

I think he's flawed, but I don't see too much similarity to Sanchez.  But I get the point that the 2018 class is no way as sure a thing as everyone predicted. 

How ironic is it that a year ago the thinking was how the 2018 QB class was light years ahead of the 2017 class.  It sure doesn't look like that now.  It might very well be the other way around.  Jets shoot themselves in the ass yet again, just as they have for 40+ years.  And regardless of who is GM'ing this wretchedly cursed ship.  

But....how do you know how they'll end up if they haven't played in the NFL yet? Kinda easy to compare when one class already has one season under their belt. And most of those assumptions are just based off of how Watson played. Mahommes played one game, Trubisky was okay in a limited offense. Are you telling me this years class can't equal that? 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Johnny Manziel also wasn’t NEARLY as pure of a passer as Mayfield. Johnny Manziel also was a run first QB no matter the situation. Johnny Manziel also didn’t come close to starting and getting in as many games as Mayfield. Johnny Manizel is currently about to lose his chance with a CFL team because he’s yet again being a forceful douchebag and piece of sh*t entitled human being. Mayfield is NONE of this. Gfys

Run first?  Manziel had 863 pass attempts and completed 600 vs. 345 rush attempts and completed 69% of his passes and put up video game #'s playing in the best division in all of college Football. lol  Manziel had elite elusiveness and a similar arm to Mayfield.  The reality is, there isn't a difference between the two other than Mayfield has a wind-up and Manziel has a much shorter more compact throwing motion. 

Besides, they probably do lines together in the offseason.  

52 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This^

Mayfield isn’t a bad person by any means. Since his character is in question at all times I have looked up just about any interview or article I could find with him in it. The guy is just a passionate player. That DUI was literally his only fault. And if he was 6’3 I bet the Manziel comparison wouldn’t even be a thing. Attitude or not. It wouldn’t be a thought in anyone’s mind. Best believe that. Mayfield does charity work. He visits kids with illnesses and spends actual quality time with these kids. He recently spoke at a girls funeral who he had become very close to in the months before her passing. People who don’t like Mayfield play? That’s fine. You don’t have to like his style of play or even believe he has a shot at being a franchise QB...but come up with something else to use against him than the generic ass basic ass common ass “He acts and plays like Manziel” crap. 

He forced his way out of one school, challenged the NCAA, got a DUI, ran away from the cops and grabbed his crotch on the sidelines while antagonizing his appoint that he was blowing out...but he's really a great guy otherwise.

The Aggies loved Johnny too.  Coaches and players all vowed for him too.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/johnny-manziel-texas-am-aggies-sec-audible-podcast-102714

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

He forced his way out of one school, challenged the NCAA, got a DUI, ran away from the cops and grabbed his crotch on the sidelines while antagonizing his appoint that he was blowing out...but he's really a great guy otherwise.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/johnny-manziel-texas-am-aggies-sec-audible-podcast-102714

Sounds more like he's just a giant douche compared to Manziel being a drug addict and loving the party nightlife scene. 

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

He wanted to start. It wasn’t happening in Texas. Hey, more power to him. Awh, that’s all he did was grab his crotch?☹️ Professional players want to jump in the stands and fist fight fans these days. I don’t care about antagonizing opponents..already been over the DUI situation plenty.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Without knowing the details these don’t sound Manziel-esque at all, nor all that bad otherwise. I don’t think the crotch grabbing thing is so bad either. 

As far as Manziel being popular amongst non-students in the Aggie program - his parents are super rich locals. As far as being popular among the students - his family was super rich which made him super rich. 

Not that Mayfield sounds like the perfect guy but people comparing him to Manziel reeeeeallly reeeeeallllly downplays Manziel. Guy was born with a silver spoon and still became a drug addict, beat his girlfriend, and whatever else he’s done. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Without knowing the details these don’t sound Manziel-esque at all. I don’t think the crotch grabbing thing is so bad either. 

As far as Manziel being popular amongst non-students in the Aggie program - his parents are super rich locals. As far as being popular among the students - his family was super rich which made him super rich. 

Not that Mayfield sounds like the perfect guy but people comparing him to Manziel reeeeeallly reeeeeallllly downplays Manziel. Guy was born with a silver spoon and still became a drug addict, beat his girlfriend, and whatever else he’s done. 

the main reason these guys are compared is b/c they're both short, it's not their style of play.  if mayfield were 6'4" nobody would have these comparisons, mayfield would be compared to ben rothleisberger or rivers. 

come draft day it will be irrelevant for us jet fans anyway since mccagnan will not pin his reputation as a gm on a first round qb who is short, it's not how he does things.  i think he'll make a play for the 3rd qb of darnold/rosen/allen with the colts if he likes them all, but i still think we're ending up with lamar jackson.  

If you research Mayfield and his Dad’s issues with Texas, Texas Tech, etc, then couple that with the fact that he is apparently not going to sign with an agent, this is a train wreck waiting to happen.  

And if the Jets are the team that drafts him, when it goes bad (and it will) the NY media will wholly blame the Jets and the Jets alone.  Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t get drafted anywhere near as high as some think.

Mayfield seems like bit of a dipsh*t, but then again who wasnt at 20. Do kids still manage to grow out of being dipsh*ts? It seems to still follow a lot of these younger athletes even as they age. Social media seems to be an instigator.

The top QB's are still the old guys who were mature beyond their years entering the league.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mayfield seems like bit of a dipsh*t, but then again who wasnt at 20. Do kids still manage to grow out of being dipsh*ts? It seems to still follow a lot of these younger athletes even as they age. Social media seems to be an instigator.

The top QB's are still the old guys who were mature beyond their years entering the league.

I heard Peyton was a real jackass in Tennessee. And also doesn’t that sexual harassment case still get brought up 20 years later? Big Ben is accused of being a rapist..dunno the validity of that. Brett Favre went to the SAME exact college I go to now.. University of Southern Miss..he was the most immature a$$hole of them all. 

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I heard Peyton was a real jackass in Tennessee. And also doesn’t that sexual harassment case still get brought up 20 years later? Big Ben is accused of being a rapist..dunno the validity of that. Brett Favre went to the SAME exact college I go to now.. University of Southern Miss..he was the most immature a$$hole of them all. 

More talking in the locker room type stuff- interactions with teammates/leadership, work habits etc. Manziel didnt want to put in the time.  

37 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the main reason these guys are compared is b/c they're both short, it's not their style of play.  if mayfield were 6'4" nobody would have these comparisons, mayfield would be compared to ben rothleisberger or rivers

come draft day it will be irrelevant for us jet fans anyway since mccagnan will not pin his reputation as a gm on a first round qb who is short, it's not how he does things.  i think he'll make a play for the 3rd qb of darnold/rosen/allen with the colts if he likes them all, but i still think we're ending up with lamar jackson.  

That’s who comes to mind for me actually. A short version of The Rivers. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

That’s who comes to mind for me actually. A short version of The Rivers. 

i go back and forth on mayfield, but again, i seriously doubt mccags would risk his entire gm reputation on him with the 6th pick.  his first rounders have been pretty conservative and like it or not, our best pass rusher right now is lee.

rosen/darnold/allen all have the prototypical size and arm strength that mccags wants.  with arguably only one more year to find a qb, i can see him falling i love with one of them and trading with indy to get that guy, any of those 3.  i can also see him staying at 6 and taking lamar jackson.  i just don't see him taking the risk on mayfield when he's tried so hard to rid the lockerroom of distractions (not merely bad guy, but distractions).  and mayfield will no doubt be a distraction, even if he's not getting into trouble.  the media will follow him everywhere, as if he is the manziel they never got to cover in the nfl.  and i also don't see him taking rudolph, after the petty fail.  but i can see talent some gms believing they can groom jackson to be a pocket passer who can become a more balanced version of vick.  but i think plan a will be to trade up with indy, plan b is jackson.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

More talking in the locker room type stuff- interactions with teammates/leadership, work habits etc. Manziel didnt want to put in the time.  

Right this I concur with. He thought he had a free ride without any work to put in. Mayfield walked on two different teams and worked his ass off. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I believe that after winning the Texas Tech job as a walk-on and winning Big 12 Conference Freshman Offensive Player of the Year he wasnt guaranteed a scholarship so he left.  Why on earth would he be ok earning his scholarship after that season?

He transferred, then tried to win the right to play immediately by using gray area in the NCAA rules (which as an aside are absurd), lost, sat out and then dominated when he played.

Hes a brash guy, and did a couple dumb off the field things, but hes no manziel

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i go back and forth on mayfield, but again, i seriously doubt mccags would risk his entire gm reputation on him with the 6th pick.  his first rounders have been pretty conservative and like it or not, our best pass rusher right now is lee.

rosen/darnold/allen all have the prototypical size and arm strength that mccags wants.  with arguably only one more year to find a qb, i can see him falling i love with one of them and trading with indy to get that guy, any of those 3.  i can also see him staying at 6 and taking lamar jackson.  i just don't see him taking the risk on mayfield when he's tried so hard to rid the lockerroom of distractions (not merely bad guy, but distractions).  and mayfield will no doubt be a distraction, even if he's not getting into trouble.  the media will follow him everywhere, as if he is the manziel they never got to cover in the nfl.  and i also don't see him taking rudolph, after the petty fail.  but i can see talent some gms believing they can groom jackson to be a pocket passer who can become a more balanced version of vick.  but i think plan a will be to trade up with indy, plan b is jackson.

I think they sign Cousins anyway. 

That said, I don’t know we can really know for sure what type of QB prospect McCagnan likes. Petty and Hackenberg are very, very different prospects from each other once you get past both not being NFL starters. Even Fitzgerald or Fitzpatrick w/e and McCown had pretty different games with the former having a little more athleticism. Fitz had the better season between the two and Petty saw the field - so if I had to guess they like the better athlete and the more accurate passer in college. Mayfield? 

I wonder if Mayfield’s hands are going to mess him up at the combine.

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I believe that after winning the Texas Tech job as a walk-on and winning Big 12 Conference Freshman Offensive Player of the Year he wasnt guaranteed a scholarship so he left.  Why on earth would he be ok earning his scholarship after that season?

He transferred, then tried to win the right to play immediately by using gray area in the NCAA rules (which as an aside are absurd), lost, sat out and then dominated when he played.

Hes a brash guy, and did a couple dumb off the field things, but hes no manziel

Sounds like Texas Tech was being pretty sleazy. 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Sounds more like he's just a giant douche compared to Manziel being a drug addict and loving the party nightlife scene. 

He wanted to start. It wasn’t happening in Texas. Hey, more power to him. Awh, that’s all he did was grab his crotch?☹️ Professional players want to jump in the stands and fist fight fans these days. I don’t care about antagonizing opponents..already been over the DUI situation plenty.

57 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Without knowing the details these don’t sound Manziel-esque at all, nor all that bad otherwise. I don’t think the crotch grabbing thing is so bad either. 

I'm not saying Mayfield is Manziel (though I don't see a difference on the field) but you really think that Mayfield displays this type of behavior and there aren't more skeletons in the closet?  Please.

Manziel was a drug addict, sliver spoon fed dbag who flaunted his life style.  Just because Mayfield dosent flaunt it, doesn't mean its not there.  They Mayfields aren't exactly low class either.  It's not like he was struggling to get by as a kid.  They were involved in his transfer too.  

My point is, there are signs he's a giant dbag.  You want to ignore them because his teammates say he's great, fine but you can bet your bottom dollar there is more to Mayfield than just some drinking. 

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not saying Mayfield is Manziel (though I don't see a difference on the field) but you really think that Mayfield displays this type of behavior and there aren't more skeletons in the closet?  Please.

Manziel was a drug addict, sliver spoon fed dbag who flaunted his life style.  Just because Mayfield dosent flaunt it, doesn't mean its not there.  They Mayfields aren't exactly low class either.  It's not like he was struggling to get by as a kid.  They were involved in his transfer too.  

My point is, there are signs he's a giant dbag.  You want to ignore them because his teammates say he's great, fine but you can bet your bottom dollar there is more to Mayfield than just some drinking. 

I don’t think it’s a rough stretch to think a potential pro stud athlete is maybe also a giant dbag. Probably he is! I just don’t see how grabbing his nuts or transferring schools points to a sinister person.  

There were pretty loud whispers long before the draft about what kind of person Manziel was. While it’s still plenty up in the air right now what could be in there, Mayfield’s big blemish right now is that DUI. If he can explain that and there’s no rapes or murders tied to him then he should be good to go. 

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

If you research Mayfield and his Dad’s issues with Texas, Texas Tech, etc, then couple that with the fact that he is apparently not going to sign with an agent, this is a train wreck waiting to happen.  

And if the Jets are the team that drafts him, when it goes bad (and it will) the NY media will wholly blame the Jets and the Jets alone.  Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t get drafted anywhere near as high as some think.

Yeah I did all the research and its not as bad as you make it out to be. Forgive me if I am wrong but weren't you the guy who compared Mayfields father to Lavar Ball? If so, I refuted that notion with facts based on printed stuff from both sides. Mayfield is not the problem he is made out to be. ALL the guys he has PLAYED with love the guy and would play their hearts out for him.

A Jets fan at Southern Miss? Are you from NY? 

29 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I don’t think it’s a rough stretch to think a potential pro stud athlete is maybe also a giant dbag. Probably he is! I just don’t see how grabbing his nuts or transferring schools points to a sinister person.  

There were pretty loud whispers long before the draft about what kind of person Manziel was. While it’s still plenty up in the air right now what could be in there, Mayfield’s big blemish right now is that DUI. If he can explain that and there’s no rapes or murders tied to him then he should be good to go. 

A sinister person?  I don't think anyone called him that or took his actions to that extreme.

An entitled Dbag who doesn't know how to compose himself when things aren't going his way?  Yes. 

He puts a target on himself with his antics.  Kansas refused to shake his hand, the Georgia players were screaming "be humble" at him after the game. I could see his attitude rubbing people the wrong way and you don't know how he's going to respond in the face of adversity which might not be the best recipe for the pros.  Especially in NY, especially playing for Todd Bowles. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I think they sign Cousins anyway. 

That said, I don’t know we can really know for sure what type of QB prospect McCagnan likes. Petty and Hackenberg are very, very different prospects from each other once you get past both not being NFL starters. Even Fitzgerald or Fitzpatrick w/e and McCown had pretty different games with the former having a little more athleticism. Fitz had the better season between the two and Petty saw the field - so if I had to guess they like the better athlete and the more accurate passer in college. Mayfield? 

I wonder if Mayfield’s hands are going to mess him up at the combine.

we can only speculate what mccagnan likes based on what he's drafted so far.  petty and hack both have the measurables.  williams/lee/adams had great college careers.  if he's drafting a qb in the first round, high up in the first round, i would expect that qb to have both the great college career and the measurables.  but what do i know.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Transferred schools when he wasn't getting his way, then on his new team he grabbed his nuts to taunt the opponents' fans in a blowout.

No college QB with this on his resume has ever gone on to be a SB champion. Look it up if you don't believe me!

Also he was born on a Friday. Over 80% of successful NFL players weren't born on a Friday.

Just too risky to take this kid IMO.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Transferred schools when he wasn't getting his way, then on his new team he grabbed his nuts to taunt the opponents' fans in a blowout.

No college QB with this on his resume has ever gone on to be a SB champion. Look it up if you don't believe me!

Also he was born on a Friday. Over 80% of successful NFL players weren't born on a Friday.

Just too risky to take this kid IMO.

MAYfield rhymes with HAY field! Coincidence? Seems pretty clear to me this guy was meant to be a horse racing jockey. 

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

but i still think we're ending up with lamar jackson.  

F*ck it.  I'd be cool with that at this point.  At least he'd be fun to watch sometimes, until he gets hurt and his career gets RG3'd. 

I'd rather take Lamar Jackson than Josh Allen.  100 %. 

Archived