TuscanyTile2

Chris Simms: Sam Darnold Has Flaws; Baker Mayfield Is Best QB in NCAA

9 hours ago, BigO said:

Kiss of death 💀 

maybe but it's the only kiss we'll get from the jets at the moment.  may as well hope for a good one.

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

1 DUI at 21. Wow. That really screams future coke addict and woman beating coward doesn’t it? 

I’m 21. I got my first DUI the other month..made a mistake..thought I could do it. Won’t be happening again. 

Am I a future problem for society now?

you can’t say because you don’t know me. Just like you don’t know Baker Mayfield. 

What kind of idiot runs from the cops?  Has anyone ever gotten away with that?  That alone says plenty about the guy's personality.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah. I only saw parts of 1 game of his so I can't really comment beyond that. A lot of points were put up on just-ok throws (as well as not-really-ok throws) that were successful because of the separation his receivers afforded him. From the other sideline, Rudolph - who isn't seen by anyone as a top 10 pick, unless I'm just unaware of it - was much more impressive. His throws were harder to make and they were more on the money. 

It was only 1 game (and since I was watching clips, it was only small parts of 1 game at that) but I didn't come away wow'd by his throws, while his numbers were sensational.

I can’t understand why `Rudolph isn’t higher rated and if you are a Mayfield fan then i’m baffled as to why you wouldn't be every bit as excited about Rudolph. He does everything Mayfield does but without the possible douchebaggery, still has some swagger to him and there are no questions about size.

The more I see of him the more I come away impressed especially as I think he improved as a senior...and he was already good. 

‘If you told me now we’d take Rudolph at 6 I’d be pretty happy...what am I missing?

EDIT: answering my own question a little built maybe but it is true he has some superb WR’s ...see plenty of very impressive grabs often in tight coverage but then does the QB get credit for throwing accurately into tight coverage?

Just now, detectivekimble said:

What kind of idiot runs from the cops?  Has anyone ever gotten away with that?  That alone says plenty about the guy's personality.

You’d be surprised what people think they can do when they are drunk off their ass.

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah I did all the research and its not as bad as you make it out to be. Forgive me if I am wrong but weren't you the guy who compared Mayfields father to Lavar Ball? If so, I refuted that notion with facts based on printed stuff from both sides. Mayfield is not the problem he is made out to be. ALL the guys he has PLAYED with love the guy and would play their hearts out for him.

If I said anything like that, I never meant  to insinuate that.  But neither of us know what went on behind the scenes.  What we can surmise is it was bad enough to warrant Mayfield having to walk on despite having the talent to start for numerous schools as a freshman.

All I am saying is that if he doesn’t hire an agent, his Dad is going to undoubtedly represent him.  And the last time Dad got involved, it didn’t work out well for Texas, TCU, or Texas Tech, or Baker for that matter.  The HCs at these schools do not share your optimism with Baker or his Dad.  I’m not saying you don’t have all the facts but when TCU’s HC says that if everyone knew all the details, they wouldn’t have a high opinion of the Mayfields, there are probably a lot that hasn’t been released yet.  

I know Jet fans are desperate for a QB but making a choice without vetting all of the on field talent and off-field character concerns is a recipe for us to searching for another GM/HC/QB in another year or two.

58 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

What kind of idiot runs from the cops?  Has anyone ever gotten away with that?

Yessir.;)

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm not saying Mayfield is Manziel (though I don't see a difference on the field) but you really think that Mayfield displays this type of behavior and there aren't more skeletons in the closet?  Please.

Manziel was a drug addict, sliver spoon fed dbag who flaunted his life style.  Just because Mayfield dosent flaunt it, doesn't mean its not there.  They Mayfields aren't exactly low class either.  It's not like he was struggling to get by as a kid.  They were involved in his transfer too.  

My point is, there are signs he's a giant dbag.  You want to ignore them because his teammates say he's great, fine but you can bet your bottom dollar there is more to Mayfield than just some drinking. 

But did anyone from the team go to his birthday party?

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I love to watch the video, but it wasn't a DUI.  It was "public intoxication"  He was standing around drunk with mustard on his shirt and then tried (poorly) to run away.  Nowhere near as bad as DUI. IMO.

Omg seriously? If true then wtf is it with people claiming dui? Theres a huge difference

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

He was probably hammered! So what hes young

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I saw gobs of yardage and TD stats despite throws being off by a yard or two (or more, where the WR had to slow down a good amount). With NFL-level coverage on most receivers, those are batted away or picked off. Reminded me of Sanchez's USC clips, frankly. 

I was on the Rudolph bandwagon early but fell off mid season.  I don’t know if he was hurt or is just a soft tosser but I don’t see the arm strength to go with the big body.  

3 hours ago, freestater said:

Yessir.;)

Lolol ... I got away a couple times in my teens & early 20's when I was young & dumb as well ;)

13 hours ago, HighPitch said:

He was probably hammered! So what hes young

I was young and hammered plenty of times, but I was never arrested.  Too fast.  Mayfield, on the other hand...

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Sheldon Richardson

Yeah he got caught, but he didn’t get caught.

16 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I can’t understand why `Rudolph isn’t higher rated and if you are a Mayfield fan then i’m baffled as to why you wouldn't be every bit as excited about Rudolph. He does everything Mayfield does but without the possible douchebaggery, still has some swagger to him and there are no questions about size.

The more I see of him the more I come away impressed especially as I think he improved as a senior...and he was already good. 

‘If you told me now we’d take Rudolph at 6 I’d be pretty happy...what am I missing?

EDIT: answering my own question a little built maybe but it is true he has some superb WR’s ...see plenty of very impressive grabs often in tight coverage but then does the QB get credit for throwing accurately into tight coverage?

You’re missing that the #6 overall pick isn’t required. From what many say, not even the #36 pick. 

On the one hand, if he pans out it doesn’t matter where he’s taken. But no one just gives away a top 10 pick to take a player 2-3 rounds higher than his projection.

As to your post edit, the throw still has to be there. But if a WR is open by 5+ yards, the throw doesn’t really have to be there. It can be here, there, or a few other places and it’s still a TD.

I barely know anything about Rudolph (or Mayfield, for that matter) as a passer. Only that the one clip of those two going head-to-head a month ago left me far more impressed with him than Mayfield. Does that make him a better prospect? Maybe. Or maybe it does, if those are the only throws those two made before heading into the draft. 

I don’t see the Jets ending up with Rudolph. It’s going to be Cousins or someone at #6. Maccagnan’s not in the position to head into round 2 without addressing the QB position yet. So barring something unrealistic, like Rudolph getting clocked at 63 mph at the combine or something, I don’t think he’s going in the top 10 in this draft. But prospect ranking isn’t my thing, since I don’t regularly watch college ball, so what do I know?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

exactly what are you basing this on, other than the fact that they both went to USC?

Length of time as starter, decision making, and competition level.

14 hours ago, ljr said:

Lolol ... I got away a couple times in my teens & early 20's when I was young & dumb as well ;)

I'm starting to question Mayfield's athleticism then.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You’re missing that the #6 overall pick isn’t required. From what many say, not even the #36 pick. 

On the one hand, if he pans out it doesn’t matter where he’s taken. But no one just gives away a top 10 pick to take a player 2-3 rounds higher than his projection.

As to your post edit, the throw still has to be there. But if a WR is open by 5+ yards, the throw doesn’t really have to be there. It can be here, there, or a few other places and it’s still a TD.

I barely know anything about Rudolph (or Mayfield, for that matter) as a passer. Only that the one clip of those two going head-to-head a month ago left me far more impressed with him than Mayfield. Does that make him a better prospect? Maybe. Or maybe it does, if those are the only throws those two made before heading into the draft. 

I don’t see the Jets ending up with Rudolph. It’s going to be Cousins or someone at #6. Maccagnan’s not in the position to head into round 2 without addressing the QB position yet. So barring something unrealistic, like Rudolph getting clocked at 63 mph at the combine or something, I don’t think he’s going in the top 10 in this draft. But prospect ranking isn’t my thing, since I don’t regularly watch college ball, so what do I know?

Thanks for the response

like you i’m no expert, i’m just a fan with an opinion and I can only go on what I see and corroborate that with what the many opinions out there add to the conversation. I’ve had hits and misses. I thought Petty would be good but then I really liked Dak Prescott....1-1

The Rudolph projections vary wildly, he might be the most polarising QB in the draft, I think he’s a first round pick, going top 10 would be a shocker at this stage for sure but every year there’s a draft riser or like you alluded to he might not even be picked on the first. I like him a lot

‘One things for sure this is going to be a wild few months.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:30 AM, Dcat said:

I think he's flawed, but I don't see too much similarity to Sanchez.  But I get the point that the 2018 class is no way as sure a thing as everyone predicted. 

How ironic is it that a year ago the thinking was how the 2018 QB class was light years ahead of the 2017 class.  It sure doesn't look like that now.  It might very well be the other way around.  Jets shoot themselves in the ass yet again, just as they have for 40+ years.  And regardless of who is GM'ing this wretchedly cursed ship.  

so this tanking thing for a higher pick doesn't guarantee anything?  that's interesting.

6 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Thanks for the response

like you i’m no expert, i’m just a fan with an opinion and I can only go on what I see and corroborate that with what the many opinions out there add to the conversation. I’ve had hits and misses. I thought Petty would be good but then I really liked Dak Prescott....1-1

The Rudolph projections vary wildly, he might be the most polarising QB in the draft, I think he’s a first round pick, going top 10 would be a shocker at this stage for sure but every year there’s a draft riser or like you alluded to he might not even be picked on the first. I like him a lot

‘One things for sure this is going to be a wild few months.

I think there's going to be some shakeup after the combine (unless most of them sit it out, of course). There always is. This time in 2009 Mark Sanchez wasn't projected to be a top 15 pick, let alone top 5. Two years ago Goff was still projected to go around #7-8 and he ended up going #1. Also wasn't Joe Flacco like a 3rd round prospect?

We'll see.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DwightSchrute said:

Stay away from Mayfield at 6
Move up and get Darnold
Immature qbs don’t work

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Roethlisberger probably raped a girl and used to ride around on a motorcycle without a helmet.

Into his late 30s, Favre was still texting dick pics.

There are plenty of examples throughout league history.

If he keeps it together on the field, throws accurately and is cool under pressure, and is just mature enough to not skip out on film study & such, he could certainly work. 

I don't know that he'll work out even if he cleans up his act. Odds are against it.

Per Rotoworld:

According to Senior Bowl director Phil Savage, the Broncos' coaching staff requested Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield be placed on their team at the upcoming Reese's Senior Bowl.

The Broncos are clearly high on the reigning Heisman Trophy winner and want to see him up close and personal at the Senior Bowl, scheduled for January 27 in Mobile, Alabama. Denver's staff will coach one of the two teams with Houston getting the other. The Broncos struggled to a miserable 5-11 record in 2017, in large part due to their instability at quarterback. Rotoworld's Josh Norris had Denver selecting Mayfield fifth overall in his latest mock draft.

16 hours ago, DwightSchrute said:

Stay away from Mayfield at 6
Move up and get Darnold
Immature qbs don’t work

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Or just sit tight and draft Mason Rudolph the third best qb in the draft after Darnold and Rosen

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I was young and hammered plenty of times, but I was never arrested.  Too fast.  Mayfield, on the other hand...

Rudolph will be a better pro than Mayfield and has no viral videos of him getting a DUI or acting like a jackass on the field