Report: New York Jets interested in Kirk Cousins

Patriot Killa

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing new here, but there are a lot of IF's there...

We still don't know if Cousins will hit FA market or what kind of FT will be given by Redskins. I also think, Dallas will find a way for franchising Lawrence, another q: how would he fit into our 3-4 defense?

So basically, yes, we will be very active during FA because Macc and Bowles will fight for their jobs, but this is how the Maccagnan era has started as well...

Plus don't forget how many needs we have...QB, RB2-3, C, TE, edge rusher, CB1-2

We also have to re-sign our players and signing Cousins (avoiding backloaded contract) and Lawrence could take ~40M from our cap.

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

You guys will call this insanity, but I would sign Kirk Cousins in FA AND target a QB with the 6th pick. 

The Seahawks did something similar when they signed Flynn and drafted Wilson (3rd round). Of course Flynn went on to prove that he wasn’t worth a fraction of the deal and the Seahawks had Wilson in their back pocket. I simply would rather be safe than sorry. Most of our 1st round picks that we have chose in the past 10 years are on the street anyway. Sign Kirk and draft one and end this misery of not having a franchise QB. One of them have to pan out in our favor. 

The number six pick in the draft is not similar to the eleventh pick in the third round. You can't even go from six to five by tossing in the 75th pick in the draft.

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

https://www.newsday.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-kirk-cousins-1.16127010

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said his front office will be active in free agency come March. And when that time comes, multiple sources told Newsday the Jets will look at upcoming free-agent quarterback Kirk Cousins. 

A source said the Jets haven’t made final determinations on which free agents they will seek out as Maccagnan and the personnel staff continue to meet. 

The Jets have a projected $80 million in salary-cap space for 2018 that will balloon to at least $100 million with expected cuts of several veterans such as Muhammad Wilkerson and Matt Forte.

Cousins, 29, has been franchised the last two seasons by the Redskins after failing to reach a deal on a long-term contract. Washington franchised Cousins for the 2017 season with a price tag of $23.9 million. If a player is franchised a third consecutive year, that salary increases by 144 percent based on the collective bargaining agreement.

Cousins, who has started only one playoff game, is probably the best available quarterback on the market. He completed 64.3 percent of his passes for 4,093 yards with 27 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 2017. 

If the Redskins place the transition player designation tag on Cousins, another team could still offer him a long-term deal. The Redskins then would have the chance to match it or let him go. 

The Jets have the No. 6 overall pick in the draft. A source said if they can’t find a long-term answer at quarterback in free agency that suits them financially, selecting one in April is the best option.

Of course, the Jets have their own free-agency issues at quarterback because 2017 starter Josh McCown will hit the open market. Last month, McCown told Newsday he will discuss his options with his family before making a decision on whether to retire or play in 2018.

The Jets are not just thinking of using their available cap space on quarterbacks, because a source said they are interested in Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence. With the Jets expected to release Wilkerson, there is a need to find another edge pass rusher for Todd Bowles’ 3-4 defense. 

Lawrence, while playing end in a 4-3 scheme, tied for second in the NFL with 14.5 sacks. Lawrence could move to outside linebacker in Bowles’ defense. At 6-3, 251 pounds, his size is more in line with the Jets’ starting outside linebackers Josh Martin (6-3, 245) and Jordan Jenkins (6-3, 259). Bowles likes bigger defensive ends who also can play inside, such as Leonard Williams (6-5, 302) and Wilkerson (6-4, 315).

The Cowboys could franchise Lawrence if they can’t work out a long-term deal.

One of the Jets’ own free agents, tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, has exchanged contract talks with the team, a source said. The Jets offered Seferian-Jenkins a two-year, $4-million contract and it was rejected. The team will continue contract talks with his representatives. Seferian-Jenkins set career highs in catches (50) and yards (357) while catching three touchdowns in 2017.

The bolded is the only real news...but I thought it was worth mentionin .

In other news the sky is blue.

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

You guys will call this insanity, but I would sign Kirk Cousins in FA AND target a QB with the 6th pick. 

The Seahawks did something similar when they signed Flynn and drafted Wilson (3rd round). Of course Flynn went on to prove that he wasn’t worth a fraction of the deal and the Seahawks had Wilson in their back pocket. I simply would rather be safe than sorry. Most of our 1st round picks that we have chose in the past 10 years are on the street anyway. Sign Kirk and draft one and end this misery of not having a franchise QB. One of them have to pan out in our favor. 

Not remotely similar situations. Flynn was only ever a backup, Cousins has 3 years of great play. Wilson was a 3rd round pick, not the 6th overall. Expectations are totally different, if you want to lobby for a 3rd or 4th round QB then maybe I bite but there is no way I leave a blue chip prospect on the board for the 3rd or 4th QB at #6.

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha good point. I would much rather have jimmy G also. Too bad bellicheater would never trade him to jets. He would be worth 6th overall 

Yea, and I am sure there was a handshake deal to make sure Jimmy G did not get back to AFC East (especially Jets), Looked good winning the last five games, would be interesting to see Lynch's reaction if that offer was made :) 

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Kirk Cousins signed with the Broncos. For one, the Broncos would have to let go of some of their high priced talent. You don't let Talib go & immediately get better on defense. Both of their WRs are over 30 years old, Thomas & Sanders. How many WRs get BETTER with age once they cross 30. Most get injured more often. The Broncos lost 8 games in a row last year...EIGHT! Plus their defense gave up a lot of points except to the inept Jets. Cousins threw for 299 & 3 TDs. 

Jets will offer the most upfront money to Cousins than any other team in this league because they can. Agents are only interested in guaranteed dollars, the rest of the contract is fluff. This is the same Jets team & owner that overpaid for quitter in Darelle Revis, Chris Johnson knows damn well this fan base has zero patience, home games were infiltrated by huge amounts of opposing fans, and the worst thing that can happen to fans is indifference. 

They can preach the rebuilding process all they want, nobody cares. Jet fans have been beaten down for over 40 years. The truth is that the Washington Redskins have pissed off their franchise QB & he wants out. Do the Denver Broncos have 2 second round picks? I don't think so, but we do. The Skins are not letting him go without getting SOMETHING in return to save some face. The Skins will slap the transition tag on him, Macc will front load a huge contract & send our Seattle pick to Washington. 

Macc will get lucky again with Bradley Chubb falling to the 6th pick, he'll get Sheldon back for Bowles, our dline will be Chubb, Sheldon, McClendon, Leo, Kirk will be our starting QB, Tremaine Johnson or Fuller will be our starting CB, and with our 2nd or 3rd round pick we'll be grabbing a stud RB like Michel. 

And Metlife will be f*cking electric on opening day in 2018!

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Kirk Cousins signed with the Broncos. For one, the Broncos would have to let go of some of their high priced talent. You don't let Talib go & immediately get better on defense. Both of their WRs are over 30 years old, Thomas & Sanders. How many WRs get BETTER with age once they cross 30. Most get injured more often. The Broncos lost 8 games in a row last year...EIGHT! Plus their defense gave up a lot of points except to the inept Jets. Cousins threw for 299 & 3 TDs. 

Jets will offer the most upfront money to Cousins than any other team in this league because they can. Agents are only interested in guaranteed dollars, the rest of the contract is fluff. This is the same Jets team & owner that overpaid for quitter in Darelle Revis, Chris Johnson knows damn well this fan base has zero patience, home games were infiltrated by huge amounts of opposing fans, and the worst thing that can happen to fans is indifference. 

They can preach the rebuilding process all they want, nobody cares. Jet fans have been beaten down for over 40 years. The truth is that the Washington Redskins have pissed off their franchise QB & he wants out. Do the Denver Broncos have 2 second round picks? I don't think so, but we do. The Skins are not letting him go without getting SOMETHING in return to save some face. The Skins will slap the transition tag on him, Macc will front load a huge contract & send our Seattle pick to Washington. 

Macc will get lucky again with Bradley Chubb falling to the 6th pick, he'll get Sheldon back for Bowles, our dline will be Chubb, Sheldon, McClendon, Leo, Kirk will be our starting QB, Tremaine Johnson or Fuller will be our starting CB, and with our 2nd or 3rd round pick we'll be grabbing a stud RB like Michel. 

And Metlife will be f*cking electric on opening day in 2018!

As much as I like what you propose, the Jets need to address the O-Line. We need a Center, badly. A solid LT would be nice as well.

12 hours ago, HessStation said:

So everybody understands how this works, Jets spend all their time invested in signing Cousins while they should be pursuing the top 3-4 FA OL. By the time Jets miss out on Cousins all the top OL are gone to teams who pursued them as priorities.

J-E...

They have the money to do both.  Those things only work that way when a team is tight on money and can only spend big on one player/position.  

The Jets are in an envious position as they can go after multiple high priced targets at the same time and no overly concern themselves with how the others will play out.

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Funny to think some of you had to put up with this BS while I was just being born in March of 96’.?

It was a lot like the hack pick, you watched him play before and you knew it was a mistake from the start (so no real hope lost), in both cases the Jets must have thought paying money would make them play better - Parcells made it go away quickly and today we have Bowles

I do like the idea of this article - if it's true.

Seems like the way the Jets are thinking is to go after impact players.  Guys that can make a difference on the team.  Spend the big money but bring in guys that will help you win games.

The NFL is a league of impact players - role players are fine - and you need some of them - but this league is about big plays - on offense and defense - you need guys that can consistently 

Right now the Jets do NOT have ONE impact player.

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

Thank you. Yes you will catch a lot of flack around here for that kind of thinking.

Some of these guys come up with the worst reasons for rejecting this logic mostly based on "no team ever does that you crazy idiot" thinking. wtf jet fans are sooooooo jaded. They are like lemmings following each other off a cliff. God forbid anyone thinks a little outside the box around here or dares to lead instead of follow.

This is a rare time we can realistically snag 2 VERY good qbs and have options. Do it Mac dont be such a puss!

55 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

As much as I like what you propose, the Jets need to address the O-Line. We need a Center, badly. A solid LT would be nice as well.

Sorry, I forgot about Jensen from the Ravens. Free agents- Cousins/Sheldon/Johnson or Fuller/Jensen. We stick with the WRs we have with Enunwa returning, Kirk will make Hanson & Stewart that much better in their 2nd years & a stud RB from the draft that can catch out of the backfield will be enough with Kearse, Anderson, ASJ, Tomlinson, Sterling, Powell & McGuire back.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Yea, and I am sure there was a handshake deal to make sure Jimmy G did not get back to AFC East (especially Jets), Looked good winning the last five games, would be interesting to see Lynch's reaction if that offer was made :) 

I'm positive the Pats could have gotten a lot more for JG from say Cleveland. They did not want Garapolo coming back & staining Gillette with wins for opposing teams. Plus the Pats knew the Jets are going to be 100 million under the cap & would be players for Jimmy. 

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The number six pick in the draft is not similar to the eleventh pick in the third round. You can't even go from six to five by tossing in the 75th pick in the draft.

The Jets have had numerous problems throughout their past, but the main one is we haven’t found a franchise QB. I could be wrong: Kirk Cousins might turn out to be a great player for us and whoever we draft can be a true franchise QB. If we are in that situation, who cares? So we have two very good QBs on our hand. What’s the problem here? 

Lets draft another Gholston, Wilson, Milliner, Pryor, Coples. 

11 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't think anyone really doubted for a moment that the Jets would at least look into Cousins and have some discussions, even those who are opposed to such a signing.  The question still stands whether they can satisfy both being appealing to Cousins AND being a top bidder.  We'll see, but I'm still doubtful that will all come together.  While someone mentioned Jacksonville earlier, I've been shocked how little their names have come up in relation to him, as I can't imagine how anyone would think that isn't a perfect fit.  That's a great young team with their biggest hole being QB, the exact kind of team who has every justification to splurge on a guy who really could be their final piece.  Of course, if Jax loses this weekend and Bortles ends up being the one who has the most fingers pointing his way (both very realistically scenarios), the talk of them as bidders will probably escalate very quickly.

The Jets, on the other hand, have plenty of money to spend so I think will last until late in the bidding process, but I'm sure that 6th overall pick will also be in the back of Macc's mind the whole time, knowing he has a backup plan in mind if he doesn't win out there.  How aggressive he gets could very well be influenced by the kind of grades they have on the QB class come free agency.

While totally unrelated to the topic of the thread, but thrown in that article as a random side-note, I did find the ASJ contract offer interesting.  Quite frankly, I think that was the perfect move from the Jets, and I'm hoping nothing goes too far off from that.  I can't particularly blame ASJ for not taking such an offer in January, but while he may be a step up from the Jets years of disaster at TE, he's far from great and quite frankly, is more in debt to them than the Jets are to him.  A high-end backup contract and finding some competition for him would be the perfect scenario for the team.  At most they should offer to build in some incentives he could hit if he does end up playing/starting/producing well.  Bottom line, just because they have money doesn't mean they should piss it all away by giving out far more than is deserved.  They should have learned that from 2015.

17.5M cap space.  Not in the game

Cousins would be one of the best if not the best QB the Jets have ever had, so Mac would be negligent if he didn't at least kick the tires here.  If they sign him, there's really no way I could be angry about it.  That being said, I would much rather draft a QB at #6 or higher and use the cap space to fill in as many other holes as possible so the team will be ready to compete at the same time our young QB comes into his own.

I know there are those who think a good QB automatically makes a bad team good a la the 49ers this year, but the difference between the 49ers and the Jets is that the Jets actually had very good QB play this year and still got only 5 wins.  The 49ers QB play was putrid prior to the Garappalo trade.  The worst case scenario is to sign Cousins but not have a team around him competitive enough to justify his 30 million dollar annual salary while the team is still rebuilding.  I'm not saying that's going to be the case, but it's definitely something Mac has to consider. 

In my mind, there's risk involved no matter which way the Jets go here.

14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said his front office will be active in free agency come March. And when that time comes, multiple sources told Newsday the Jets will look at upcoming free-agent quarterback Kirk Cousins. 

A source said the Jets haven’t made final determinations on which free agents they will seek out as Maccagnan and the personnel staff continue to meet. 

The Jets have a projected $80 million in salary-cap space for 2018 that will balloon to at least $100 million with expected cuts of several veterans such as Muhammad Wilkerson and Matt Forte.

Cousins, 29, has been franchised the last two seasons by the Redskins after failing to reach a deal on a long-term contract. Washington franchised Cousins for the 2017 season with a price tag of $23.9 million. If a player is franchised a third consecutive year, that salary increases by 144 percent based on the collective bargaining agreement.

Cousins, who has started only one playoff game, is probably the best available quarterback on the market. He completed 64.3 percent of his passes for 4,093 yards with 27 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 2017. 

If the Redskins place the transition player designation tag on Cousins, another team could still offer him a long-term deal. The Redskins then would have the chance to match it or let him go. 

The Jets have the No. 6 overall pick in the draft. A source said if they can’t find a long-term answer at quarterback in free agency that suits them financially, selecting one in April is the best option.

Of course, the Jets have their own free-agency issues at quarterback because 2017 starter Josh McCown will hit the open market. Last month, McCown told Newsday he will discuss his options with his family before making a decision on whether to retire or play in 2018.

The Jets are not just thinking of using their available cap space on quarterbacks, because a source said they are interested in Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence. With the Jets expected to release Wilkerson, there is a need to find another edge pass rusher for Todd Bowles’ 3-4 defense. 

Lawrence, while playing end in a 4-3 scheme, tied for second in the NFL with 14.5 sacks. Lawrence could move to outside linebacker in Bowles’ defense. At 6-3, 251 pounds, his size is more in line with the Jets’ starting outside linebackers Josh Martin (6-3, 245) and Jordan Jenkins (6-3, 259). Bowles likes bigger defensive ends who also can play inside, such as Leonard Williams (6-5, 302) and Wilkerson (6-4, 315).

The Cowboys could franchise Lawrence if they can’t work out a long-term deal.

One of the Jets’ own free agents, tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, has exchanged contract talks with the team, a source said. The Jets offered Seferian-Jenkins a two-year, $4-million contract and it was rejected. The team will continue contract talks with his representatives. Seferian-Jenkins set career highs in catches (50) and yards (357) while catching three touchdowns in 2017.

Well the first bolded part, while obviously important to the team, is hardly news. If the Jets don’t sign Cousins or fill the vacant QB position in FA then they’ll look to fill it in the draft (and most likely in the 1st round, seeing as they pick 6th overall). Duh.

To me, the part that’s bigger news is the ASJ offer. I have to say I’m happy with it. Not that he rejected the offer, but rather that the offer was so low. I figured Maccagnan wouldn’t want to let go of one of his “successes” and would massively overbid like he did with Winters, in the $7-9m range.

I think he could go a little higher on ASJ and that’d be fine, but the guy doesn’t have sure hands and my fear is that he’d do his usual thing, since there isn’t another option on the team. No one really wants to head into the draft with a gaping hole, which is why locking guys up earlier is so important; GMs like Maccagnan paint themselves into corners and readily surrender the leverage a GM has over the team’s upcoming FAs. Once the final game is played, though, any injury risk is gone and the team’s leverage vanishes with it.

We’ll see how high he goes, but honestly I’m surprised his opening bid was this low. It’s very not-like him, unless he simply doesn’t want the player back (and is only willing to take him back if it’s a super-bargain). That is the appropriate position for him to take with a player like ASJ. He’s very replaceable.

14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is interesting.  So they offered him a Lance Kendricks/Niles Paul/Lee Smith deal. Glad they aren't breaking the bank, but I 'm not surprised it was rejected either.  Good news to me is that they are trying to work this out earlier rather than later.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I briefly mentioned that we were interested about 4 weeks ago. Since my last little update (2 weeks ago) I've gotten some more tidbits for you guys.

I've heard the price range we're looking to give out is $22-$26 million per for 4-5 years.  1st 3 years will likely be slightly front loaded, but nothing bad enough to scare Kirk away and make him think that were not serious about a giving him real long term deal. 

12 hours ago, maury77 said:

Jason423 posted an article on his site and listed Jacksonville as a potential spot with their cap space. I have a hard time believing Cousins would rather come here than Jax. 

Jason's article also pegged his price at $27.5-29M with a projected value of $28.5M.  Sounds like we aren't going to blow him out of the water. 

4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Ever been to Jax?

His Dad is a minister in Orlando.  That is probably where they are spending much of their time if they are really avoiding DC.

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

I’d pay cousins $40 million in year one and then $21 mill for the next 4 years.  Dead. Serious.

we’ve paid Revis and Mo that much to NOT play for the NY Jets.  

We fd up the tank and are in limbo at 6 at the mercy of other teams. Be proactive AF for once in MY life and get the unicorn FA top ten QB that’s becoming available this off season.  

If the Skins Transition tag him, expect something like that

GET COUSINS! Keep building through the draft.

Sign Cousins and Lawrence. Draft CB at 6 or trade back from 6 for an Olineman. OR, sign Cousins and Trumain Johnson. Draft Chubb at 6. 

Sign the already established QB without trading assets to get 1. Win Win.

10 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Cousins would be one of the best if not the best QB the Jets have ever had, so Mac would be negligent if he didn't at least kick the tires here.  If they sign him, there's really no way I could be angry about it.  That being said, I would much rather draft a QB at #6 or higher and use the cap space to fill in as many other holes as possible so the team will be ready to compete at the same time our young QB comes into his own.

I know there are those who think a good QB automatically makes a bad team good a la the 49ers this year, but the difference between the 49ers and the Jets is that the Jets actually had very good QB play this year and still got only 5 wins.  The 49ers QB play was putrid prior to the Garappalo trade.  The worst case scenario is to sign Cousins but not have a team around him competitive enough to justify his 30 million dollar annual salary while the team is still rebuilding.  I'm not saying that's going to be the case, but it's definitely something Mac has to consider. 

In my mind, there's risk involved no matter which way the Jets go here.

Doesn't automatically make them great, but it settles the most important position and don't have to think about it for at least 4 years. Don't have to go through developing him, going through slowly evolving the offense, the ups and downs, taking a shot at a high draft pick. It's just plug and play and focus on getting the rest of the pieces around the team settled. Let's just hope they can do that. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If we signed cousins and if one of the top two QBs fell to 6 on draft day id still pick a QB at 6.  come at me bros

It's not a bad idea - I just don't think it's something Cousins will want - I would guess he wants some assurances that's not going to happen.

Well, Cousins is good and lets say not great. What are the chances any of the top 5 QB's turn out the same or better within 3 years? Obviously, there is the chance they could be be better or as good for 12-15 years. I get that. But Cousins should be able to play and play well for 5 years. And it's not like the Jets are thinking of Cousins but are picking 1 or 2 or even 3. 

The Jets are looking for a QB at a spot in the draft where the more "can't miss" guys are probably gone. Yes, I know good QB's are found all over the draft, but if that's the case, draft one in the 2nd round. Or even take one at 6, but there is less pressure they guy pans out in 3 years - he gets two years to hold a clipboard and take Cousins spot. 

11 minutes ago, #bman said:

GET COUSINS! Keep building through the draft.

Sign Cousins and Lawrence. Draft CB at 6 or trade back from 6 for an Olineman. OR, sign Cousins and Trumain Johnson. Draft Chubb at 6. 

Sign the already established QB without trading assets to get 1. Win Win.

Unless Mayfield turns out to be the next Drew Brees...There's definitely an opportunity cost to passing on a first round QB.

Cousins is solid but not spectacular - I would prefer to shoot for spectacular.  

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If we signed cousins and if one of the top two QBs fell to 6 on draft day id still pick a QB at 6.  come at me bros

If that happened the Jets would be sitting in the Cat bird seat for a potential trade down that could change the course of this franchise! It may take our 2nd from Seattle to get Cousins if Skins transition tag him. Trading back from #6 could bring a small haul, depending on how far back we go and replace the lost 2nd, maybe get an extra 3rd & a future draft pick in 2019. 

Win, win. Or we're sitting at 6 and Bradley Chubb is staring at us. If we came away from this offseason with a QB (Cousins), pass rusher (Chubb), RB (Jones, Michel, Chubb), a Center (Jensen), CB (Johnson or Fuller), and maybe Richardson back? HOLY SH*T! Be really exciting offseason. With that haul there would be pundents thinking the Jets will finally vie for the AFC East Crown.

Archived