Jump to content

Report: New York Jets interested in Kirk Cousins


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

If that happened the Jets would be sitting in the Cat bird seat for a potential trade down that could change the course of this franchise! It may take our 2nd from Seattle to get Cousins if Skins transition tag him. Trading back from #6 could bring a small haul, depending on how far back we go and replace the lost 2nd, maybe get an extra 3rd & a future draft pick in 2019. 

Win, win. Or we're sitting at 6 and Bradley Chubb is staring at us. If we came away from this offseason with a QB (Cousins), pass rusher (Chubb), RB (Jones, Michel, Chubb), a Center (Jensen), CB (Johnson or Fuller), and maybe Richardson back? HOLY SH*T! Be really exciting offseason. With that haul there would be pundents thinking the Jets will finally vie for the AFC East Crown.

That was my first thought as well, but...

If one of the top 2 fell to 6, wouldn't the teams at 3,4, and 5 be even better situated to trade down?  It also would almost certainly mean that Chubb is gone.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I briefly mentioned that we were interested about 4 weeks ago. Since my last little update (2 weeks ago) I've gotten some more tidbits for you guys. I've heard the price range we're looking to gi

Sign me up. He immediately becomes one of the franchise's best qbs. Jets CAN afford him. He solves the QB issue for 5 years. What more can you ask for. Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNati

I’d pay cousins $40 million in year one and then $21 mill for the next 4 years.  Dead. Serious.   we’ve paid Revis and Mo that much to NOT play for the NY Jets.   We fd up the tank and

Here's the thing, if the Jets REALLY want Cousins, they probably won't have too much competition for him other then the Browns and the Redskins themselves.

Of all of the QB needy teams, only the Jets and the Browns have ridiculously excessive cap space.  (Browns at $119 Million right now, Jets will be at $100 million after the expected cuts)

In other words, if the Jets REALLY want Cousins, they can blow him out of the water with an offer that other teams would be hard pressed to match.

 

The closest teams in cap space (besides the Jets, Browns and Skins) who arguably need a QB are:

 

Minny $60 million in space

Cincy $40 million in space

Bills $32 million in space

Broncos, Cards, Jags and Giants all around $28 million in space.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Here's the thing, if the Jets REALLY want Cousins, they probably won't have too much competition for him other then the Browns and the Redskins themselves.

Of all of the QB needy teams, only the Jets and the Browns have ridiculously excessive cap space.  (Browns at $119 Million right now, Jets will be at $100 million after the expected cuts)

In other words, if the Jets REALLY want Cousins, they can blow him out of the water with an offer that other teams would be hard pressed to match.

 

The closest teams in cap space (besides the Jets, Browns and Skins) who arguably need a QB are:

 

Minny $60 million in space

Cincy $40 million in space

Bills $32 million in space

Broncos, Cards, Jags and Giants all around $28 million in space.

 

 

I agree.  If mccags wants him, he can go balls out and get him and that would be nearly unilaterally praised.  the jets would have a legit qb for at least 5-7 years.  they could draft one this year in the 3rd or 4th rounds, drop hack and petty and really use those other picks to beef up the o-line and running game.  

truth, why wouldn't mccags not want cousins?  it would probably give both him and bowles job security for years, and allow him to keep drafting BAP which is panning out most of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There will not be a single Free agent or Draft prospect QB that the media will NOT try to link to the NY Jets this offseason.

Saying "The Jets are interested in...." is, literally, meaningless hot air.

The Jets, weak at QB, will clearly be interested in kicking the tires of every possible legit QB.

The QB's, in order to drive up their prices, will want to be linked to every team possible to create competition, including the needy Jets.

So frankly, the phrase "the Jets are interested in....." means nothing unless it's backed by some actual fact, i.e. the Jets spoke with X's agent, the Jets interviewed X, the Jets met with X.

Keep that in mind as the offseason starts to ramp up and the media's baseless anonymous "source" speculation goes into maximum overdrive.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That was my first thought as well, but...

If one of the top 2 fell to 6, wouldn't the teams at 3,4, and 5 be even better situated to trade down?  It also would almost certainly mean that Chubb is gone.

yeah, 6 will be a tough spot from which to trade down.  At that spot we take BOPA

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, section314 said:

With you on Rosen, not so much on Darnold. I know you will kill me on this, but when all is said and done I think the first two QB's taken will be Rosen and Allen.

Won't surprise me, someone will think allen is wentz version 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

yeah, 6 will be a tough spot from which to trade down.  At that spot we take BOPA

All kinds of crazy things can happen. What if Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen go off the board in the 1st 5? Jets would be looking at Chubb? best CB in the draft? 2nd best LT, Best Guard in the draft? Mayfield & Jackson still there. I don't think #6 is bad at all, especially if we can land Kirk Cousins. Lot of possibilities at #6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

All kinds of crazy things can happen. What if Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen go off the board in the 1st 5? Jets would be looking at Chubb? best CB in the draft? 2nd best LT, Best Guard in the draft? Mayfield & Jackson still there. I don't think #6 is bad at all, especially if we can land Kirk Cousins. Lot of possibilities at #6.

or connor williams.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghost said:

The Jets have had numerous problems throughout their past, but the main one is we haven’t found a franchise QB. I could be wrong: Kirk Cousins might turn out to be a great player for us and whoever we draft can be a true franchise QB. If we are in that situation, who cares? So we have two very good QBs on our hand. What’s the problem here? 

 

Lets draft another Gholston, Wilson, Milliner, Pryor, Coples. 

You can't sign Cousins for thirty mil then use the number 6 draft pick on a guy that MIGHT become good an that you hopefully will not have to use for five years.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

McCowns success with the Jets in 2017 might help us land Kirk Cousins. Josh McCown won 2 games went 2-23 with the Browns & won 5 games here with the Jets and actually had his best year in a while before getting injured.

He could be thinking, young team. Good draft picks, a lot of free agent money, stability at HC & GM with both given extensions. Best thing to happen in Cleveland for us was keeping Hue Jackson. 1-31! Is there anyone that believes this guy keeps his job without getting at least to 8-8? The 49ers are set & will definitely sign or tag Jimmy G. 

Denver & Jaguars are the wildcard in the Cousins sweepstakes. Jets can outspend the Broncos but the Jags have by far the best young talent and if Coughlin, who coached against Kirk thinks they need to go after him, Blake Bortles isn't keeping him from doing it. Would Kirk take less to play on a better team? I think the Jets odds of landing Cousins are pretty high & SAR 1 will have to relinquish his PSLs. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jetster said:

All kinds of crazy things can happen. What if Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen go off the board in the 1st 5? Jets would be looking at Chubb? best CB in the draft? 2nd best LT, Best Guard in the draft? Mayfield & Jackson still there. I don't think #6 is bad at all, especially if we can land Kirk Cousins. Lot of possibilities at #6.

You're sitting at 6, signed Cousins - and Buffalo offers you their 2 1's (I think it's 20 and 21 but could be wrong)

Do you make that trade?

 

Assume -  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen/Mayfield are gone.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're sitting at 6, signed Cousins - and Buffalo offers you their 2 1's (I think it's 20 and 21 but could be wrong)

Do you make that trade?

 

Assume -  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen/Mayfield are gone.

How is the pass rusher depth? Chubb is high in this draft

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're sitting at 6, signed Cousins - and Buffalo offers you their 2 1's (I think it's 20 and 21 but could be wrong)

Do you make that trade?

 

Assume -  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen/Mayfield are gone.

Nice hypo and it’s quite possible, I think, that the first 5 picks would go down like that.

Chubb is probably the only one I’d be worried about missing out on. I don’t want the G Nelson, the S Fitz. The Combine will determine whether OLB Keye is in the discussion. 

The only issue for me would be in Mayfield was still there and we let Buffalo take him. But with Cousins we can’t worry about that.

For me it comes down to how closely the other OLB are all rated and whether we signed someone to rush the passer in FA

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BrickTamland said:

Nice hypo and it’s quite possible, I think, that the first 5 picks would go down like that.

Chubb is probably the only one I’d be worried about missing out on. I don’t want the G Nelson, the S Fitz. The Combine will determine whether OLB Keye is in the discussion. 

The only issue for me would be in Mayfield was still there and we let Buffalo take him. But with Cousins we can’t worry about that.

For me it comes down to how closely the other OLB are all rated and whether we signed someone to rush the passer in FA

Correct

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're sitting at 6, signed Cousins - and Buffalo offers you their 2 1's (I think it's 20 and 21 but could be wrong)

Do you make that trade?

 

Assume -  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen/Mayfield are gone.

Not if Chubb is there. Nope. 

If I knew we can get guys like Ward and maybe O. Brown. But it's so far down it's a gamble of who'd be left.  Wouldn't wanna be stuck with leftovers end of tier 2/tier 3 guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're sitting at 6, signed Cousins - and Buffalo offers you their 2 1's (I think it's 20 and 21 but could be wrong)

Do you make that trade?

 

Assume -  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen/Mayfield are gone.

Pass, way too far a drop down and what this roster lacks now is stars. Take the best pass rusher

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're sitting at 6, signed Cousins - and Buffalo offers you their 2 1's (I think it's 20 and 21 but could be wrong)

Do you make that trade?

 

Assume -  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen/Mayfield are gone.

No you take Chubb unless he runs a 4.7...which he might maybe higher who jnows

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're sitting at 6, signed Cousins - and Buffalo offers you their 2 1's ( picks 21 & 22).

Do you make that trade?

Assume -  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen/Mayfield are gone.

tenor.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You can't sign Cousins for thirty mil then use the number 6 draft pick on a guy that MIGHT become good an that you hopefully will not have to use for five years.

You can't sign Cousins for all that cash then use the #6 pick to draft a guy who might be BETTER then Cousins....then you have to wrestle with the problem of benching a guy making $25 million a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

You can't sign Cousins for all that cash then use the #6 pick to draft a guy who might be BETTER then Cousins....then you have to wrestle with the problem of benching a guy making $25 million a year.

Sounds like a real hell situation for the Jets 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

You can't sign Cousins for all that cash then use the #6 pick to draft a guy who might be BETTER then Cousins....then you have to wrestle with the problem of benching a guy making $25 million a year.

That's another thing. You have to eat the guaranteed money. You can't have a 28 million dollar backup QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

Kirk Cousins + Demarcus Lawrence + offensive player/pass rusher at #6 makes the Jets legitimately good.

Cowboys are franchising Lawrence, no way he hits free agency. That's why I'm hoping we sign Cousins & Chubb falls to 6. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...