Mo Lewis' Place In Jets' History

TuscanyTile2

Apparently Mo Lewis' place in Jet history is not what we all thought.

I was watching the video below to see the "Birth of Brady" and was surprised to hear Dan Dierdorf say at 2:27:29:

"We're being told that Drew Bledsoe - now imagine this - we're being told that his replacement is NOT because of injury.  Yes, I did not misspeak.  That's what we're being told by the Patriots".

Note that Bledsoe DID come back and play the series after getting hit by Mo Lewis.  

2:07:36: Mo Lewis hit

2:14:32: Bledsoe comes back for the next drive

2:31:59: Dierdorf: "It's not for me to call the Patriots liars.  It's just for them to say that Drew Bledsoe is fine and it's not related to injury.  They're saying Tom Brady is a better quarterback than (inaudible)"

Btw, thanks to @nyjunc for posting the clip in "classic clips" thread.

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Nobody really talks about that (unless they are Jets fans wanting to be miserable) because the thought process in NE was that Bledsoe was on his way out the door already. 

This is discussed in Michael Holley's book, Patriot Reign, I believe.  Basically Bill was already unhappy with Drew because he didn't take coaching well.  He was a gunslinger who was set in his ways, while the new kid they drafted in the sixth round was working his ass off.  Drew had the big arm, but Bill felt that the kid, despite lacking the physical gifts, was a better fit for what Bill wanted to do.  The injury was just a happy accident (minus the whole "life or death situation" for Drew, obviously).

58 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I've had Mo Lewis as the best Jets LB of all time. Anyone have any issues with that?

Mehl, Clifton, Jones were in consideration. 

*shrugs

I might have Lance Mehl there but more importantly, that profile pic of yours.  I don't think I ever noticed it.  Wow!

1 hour ago, Jared said:

This is discussed in Michael Holley's book, Patriot Reign, I believe.  Basically Bill was already unhappy with Drew because he didn't take coaching well.  He was a gunslinger who was set in his ways, while the new kid they drafted in the sixth round was working his ass off.  Drew had the big arm, but Bill felt that the kid, despite lacking the physical gifts, was a better fit for what Bill wanted to do.  The injury was just a happy accident (minus the whole "life or death situation" for Drew, obviously).

Bledsoe was an old statue he was on his way out regardless 

1 hour ago, Jared said:

Revisionist history.  Michael Holley is a shill for Belicheat.  Belicheat gave Bledsoe a huge contract before the 2001 season.

``As a coach,'' Belichick said, ``it's very important to know that your key players will be with you for a while. It makes it a lot easier for our planning.''

The richest contract in NFL history at the time.  Yikes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/08/sports/plus-nfl-richest-contract-goes-to-bledsoe.html

21 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Nobody really talks about that (unless they are Jets fans wanting to be miserable) because the thought process in NE was that Bledsoe was on his way out the door already. 

Keep in mind following the 2000 season the Patriots gave Bledsoe a $100 extension so the plan going into that season was not to bench him.  W/ the team starting 0o-2 BB was already starting to feel the heat and I think eventually Brady would have started but I don't think he would have started in time to save the 2001 season like he did.  It just would have pushed the start of the dynasty back a year.

21 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Apparently Mo Lewis' place in Jet history is not what we all thought.

I was watching the video below to see the "Birth of Brady" and was surprised to hear Dan Dierdorf say at 2:27:29:

"We're being told that Drew Bledsoe - now imagine this - we're being told that his replacement is NOT because of injury.  Yes, I did not misspeak.  That's what we're being told by the Patriots".

Note that Bledsoe DID come back and play the series after getting hit by Mo Lewis.  

2:07:36: Mo Lewis hit

2:14:32: Bledsoe comes back for the next drive

2:31:59: Dierdorf: "It's not for me to call the Patriots liars.  It's just for them to say that Drew Bledsoe is fine and it's not related to injury.  They're saying Tom Brady is a better quarterback than (inaudible)"

Btw, thanks to @nyjunc for posting the clip in "classic clips" thread.

we know the Pats are never truthful and if it was the case and not for injury why did Bledsoe come back in? Bledsoe literally almost died in the hospital that night, it was b/c of injury.

16 hours ago, HessStation said:

I've had Mo Lewis as the best Jets LB of all time. Anyone have any issues with that?

*shrugs

Mo is the best I have seen, I guess the Larry Grantham's and others from the 60s/70s would be up there but since the 80s I think Mo and David Harris are the 2 best LBs we have had.

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Seeing James Farrior in the video gets me pissed that we got rid of him. 

We didn't get rid of him, he was here for 5 years.  he had ONE good season(under the herm regime) and wanted too much money.  He went to a perfect place in Pitt.

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Bledsoe was an old statue he was on his way out regardless 

yep, they only gave him a $100 mil contract months before that season started.  Clearly a sign they knew what they had in Brady and didn't like Bledsoe.

15 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Revisionist history.  Michael Holley is a shill for Belicheat.  Belicheat gave Bledsoe a huge contract before the 2001 season.

``As a coach,'' Belichick said, ``it's very important to know that your key players will be with you for a while. It makes it a lot easier for our planning.''

The richest contract in NFL history at the time.  Yikes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/08/sports/plus-nfl-richest-contract-goes-to-bledsoe.html

it's amazing to me how BB always gets credit for everything.  Give up 17 pts in 19 mins against Bills in SB XXV "it was all the genius gameplan of BB", don't call TO at end of Sea SB :what a genius move" and in this case they are trying to pretend like he was responsible for Brady.  he drafted him w/ the hopes that some day he could become a primary backup.  He had no clue what he had or Bledsoe never gets that extension, Brady saved his career and now he is talked about as greatest of all time thanks to Brady.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Keep in mind following the 2000 season the Patriots gave Bledsoe a $100 extension so the plan going into that season was not to bench him.  W/ the team starting 0o-2 BB was already starting to feel the heat and I think eventually Brady would have started but I don't think he would have started in time to save the 2001 season like he did.  It just would have pushed the start of the dynasty back a year.

Basically. we just expedited the process by a year

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Seeing James Farrior in the video gets me pissed that we got rid of him. 

He left as a free agent.  

I believe they replaced him with Sam Cowart, who was believed to be a better fit in Herm's Tampa 2.

I remember the board going 6 to midnight when we signed him.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mo is the best I have seen, I guess the Larry Grantham's and others from the 60s/70s would be up there but since the 80s I think Mo and David Harris are the 2 best LBs we have had.

We didn't get rid of him, he was here for 5 years.  he had ONE good season(under the herm regime) and wanted too much money.  He went to a perfect place in Pitt.

yep, they only gave him a $100 mil contract months before that season started.  Clearly a sign they knew what they had in Brady and didn't like Bledsoe.

Mo was the best i've seen in a Jet uniform.  

Clifton was a tackling machine, but I can't seem to remember a single standout play.

20 hours ago, HessStation said:

*shrugs

Larry Grantham was a 5 time All Pro and Pro Bowler or did you not mean All Time just your time??:)

23 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Basically. we just expedited the process by a year

pretty much.

22 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Mo was the best i've seen in a Jet uniform.  

Clifton was a tackling machine, but I can't seem to remember a single standout play.

we didn't have very good Ds in the Clifton years and tackles are unofficial inflated by teams keeping them.  Kyle was a good guy, a solid player but I wouldn't have him in the running for best Jets LB of all time.

To say that Mo Lewis was responsible for the birth of Brady is ludicrous. The Patriots had no intention of keeping Bledsoe after that season, even before Mo's hit. It was inevitable that Brady was going to take over for Drew by the end of that season. Mo simply hastened that process. That's it.

On 1/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, HessStation said:

*shrugs

Mo Lewis was an excellent linebacker, but not a great linebacker.  I suppose we've never had a "great linebacker" in Jets history.  Lance Mehl was a solid tackler, but not dominating.  Jones was a "punishing" tackler who's collisions were devastating, but who's career was relatively short.  

The best "d" lineman of all time is easy; Joe Klecko was the best, hands down.

Archived