Screw this. I’m tired of sitting on the sidelines.

Patriot Killa

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Different eras? Different worlds my friend. They actually played football in those days. You know when you could actually hit a QB or a WR. I'm not saying O'Donnells #'s would be as good as Cousins if he played today but I think they would be better. Build through the draft. Get some Baker Mayfield in here and surround him with young talent. and lets see what happens.

This is why I compared attempts/completion percentage to simplify the comparison between both of them so that the different eras claim cannot be made.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not talking about drafting a QB in the 1st round I'm talking about over paying for a free agent QB like we did with Neal O'Donnell 

Ok? 

You need to get over your Neil O'Donnell shell shock.  

It is extremely rare to be able to get a FA starter at age 30, in the prime of his career.  At that age they are usually in the middle of a long contract.  Except for O'Donnell who was 30 just like Cousins will be, other Jets FA QB acquisitionss have been 35 years old or older.  Every one of them either sucked or just broke down in front of our eyes.  I guess Vinny who I think was 36, gave us our best chance as did Favre until he broke down.   Cousins' availability is a unique opportunity to solve the worst problem on the team without waiting for a draft pick to mature.  And he's got 5+ years left. The same was true with O'Donnell, who was 30 when acquired by the Jets, but frankly, I think Cousins is a lot more talented.  It would be inexcusable negligence for mac not to explore this opportunity.

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Different eras? Different worlds my friend. They actually played football in those days. You know when you could actually hit a QB or a WR. I'm not saying O'Donnells #'s would be as good as Cousins if he played today but I think they would be better. Build through the draft. Get some Baker Mayfield in here and surround him with young talent. and lets see what happens.

Again I saw O’Donnell play, you speculate on what might happen concerning his numbers today, which I don’t believe for a moment and your rank speculation is based on what?  

O’Donnell was slow and plodding and certainly wasn’t asked to do that much in Pittsburgh.  When he had to do more with the Jets he was quickly exposed. You are the first and only poster I have ever heard that somehow mediocre O’Donnell would do better today with his limited skill set. 

O’Donnell never played on a team as bereft of skill players or as poor an offensive line as Cousins has had to operate with and was trash everywhere but on Pittsburgh a loaded team  

The situations aren’t analogous at all, in the current set of circumstances Cousins would be coming to a team that has better skill players and a even better OL. 

Cousins hasn’t put up padded numbers but quality numbers in the most difficult situation and his average Quarterback numbers are better than anything we have seen in a generation. 

Finally if you said the late Great Otto Graham was better than Cousins I would agree with you and you would be right but Neil O’Donnell, give me a break. 

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Again I saw O’Donnell play, you speculate on what might happen concerning his numbers today, which I don’t believe for a moment and your rank speculation based on what?  

O’Donnell was slow and plodding and certainly wasn’t asked to do that much in Pittsburgh.  When he had to do more with the Jets he was quickly exposed. You are the first and only poster I have ever heard that somehow mediocre O’Donnell would do better today with his limited skill set. 

O’Donnell never played on a team as bereft of skill players or as poor an offensive line as Cousins has had to operate with and was trash everywhere but on Pittsburgh a loaded team  

The situations aren’t analogous at all, in the current set of circumstances Cousins would be coming to a team that has better skill players and a even better OL. 

Cousins hasn’t put up padded numbers but quality numbers in the most difficult situation and his average Quarterback numbers are better than anything we have seen in a generation. 

Finally if you said the late Great Otto Graham was better than Cousins I would agree with you and you would be right but Neil O’Donnell, give me a break. 

Exactly my point in my thread.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is why I compared attempts/completion percentage to simplify the comparison between both of them so that the different eras claim cannot be made.

The different era has to be taken into consideration in any comparison. With so many rule changes between now and then statistical comparison is not even achievable. You can't even sneeze on a WR in todays NFL. Back then you could do so many things that are not allowed now that they vastly affect ALL stats. Including Comp %.

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Again I saw O’Donnell play, you speculate on what might happen concerning his numbers today, which I don’t believe for a moment and your rank speculation is based on what?  

I saw O'Donnell play as well. The rule changes alone would have helped even the slow plodding O'Donnell. If you read the post I said O'Donnell's #'s wouldn't be as good as Counsins but they would be better than what he was able to produce back then. I never said his #'s would be better than Cousins just better overall. I NEVER SAID O'Donnell was better than Cousins so I don't know where that came from.

You can point to his stats all day long but HE STILL HASN'T WON A DAMN THING. Even when he had those skill players healthy they still did nothing. Furthermore you think Cousins will make this a playoff team? The # of holes on this team are the reason why I don't think Cousins comes here. Come on. Why would he make what would essentially be a lateral move? You could argue that the Skins have as much or more talent right now on their roster than the Jets do. Why come to a team that has the same or worse skill level than you have right now? Why come to a team that has question marks at most skill positions? The Jets have no true #1 WR or RB. Their TE situation leaves a lot to be desired as well. That coupled with a suspect OL would raise a lot of red flags to me. If they decide to sign Cousins AND get him I would not be unhappy but to succeed they would have to go all out in other area's of FA. Are you that confident in Macc that he could pull that off? I'm not.

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Please...please...please stop comparing Neil O'Donnell to Kirk Cousins.  

Again........Folks please stop comparing Neil O'Donnell to Kirk Cousins, it is EMBARRASSING!!!

Neil O'Donnell had his best years with Pittsburgh and those two years went like this..

"In the 1992 NFL season O'Donnell would throw for 2,283 passing yards, 13 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions and receive his only Pro Bowl selection of his career. The Steelers would finish 11-5 and take the AFC Central division title, but lost to the Buffalo Bills 24-3 in a division playoff game.

In 1993, he would have another "great" season throwing for a career-high 3,208 passing yards, 14 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions finishing with a 1.4 interception percentage, the second lowest in his career."

Obviously O'Donnell's very best years are not even comparable to Cousins worst years (different eras, I get it) once he became the starter, to compare the two QB is beyond ludicrous.

As I posted elsewhere....

Kirk Cousins ranks third among qualifying NFL quarterbacks in completion percentage (67.0) and sixth in passer rating (97.5) -- rivaling two-time MVP Aaron Rodgers in both categories. Over that 48-game sample size, he also ranks an impressive fifth in adjusted net yards per attempt, a discerning metric that rewards a strong touchdown-to-interception ratio and punishes sacks taken. He also has averaged 27 (TD) passes against 12 (INTs). Cousins is just the 11th quarterback in history to reach the 4,000-yard passing mark in three consecutive seasons, joining a host of current and future Hall of Famers.

Get that Hall Of Fame Numbers!!

Neil O'Donnell could only dream of those numbers and even then he should wake up and apologize.

•  

Fun Fact:  Troy Aikman never threw more than 23 td passes and 3,445 yards in a season

Comparing passing stats is ludicrous it was different eras

48 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Fun Fact:  Troy Aikman never threw more than 23 td passes and 3,445 yards in a season

Comparing passing stats is ludicrous it was different eras

Fun fact: 

using my completion attempts to % formula that you choose to ignore the relevance of, it shows Aikman WAS a very effective QB. 

1991: 363 attempts - 65%

1992: 427 attempts - 63%

1993: 392 attempts - 69%

1994: 361 attempts - 64%

1995: 432 attempts - 64%

1996: 465 attempts - 65%

so no, using this formula to compare eras DOES work to show efficiency no matter the era. It shows the passers decisiveness along with his accuracy. Comparing Yardage and TD’s would support your claim based on the fact QB’s didn’t get as many passing plays in on weaker coverages. You are a fool if you think this formula isn’t effective in describing QB play across generations.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Kleckineau said:

I hope you are right but we keep saying that.

His play didnt fall off at all this year and with the way his O-line is penalty proofed by the refs I think we are gonna see him play well into his 40's

I think he can play at a high level a few more years but we are still much closer to the finish and at his age that cliff could come at any time. we'll see.

Archived