Playoff takeaway so far: The Franchise QB era is coming to an end.

SenorGato

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I’m not sure what the point is here. I didn’t say it started dying in 2004! 

You wrote that "Not one QB this postseason is outright the best player on their offense or team anymore."

Meanwhile Tom Brady still is.  Carson Wentz is as well but he's injured.  I feel like you're giving Nick Foles credit for Carson Wentz's achievements.

That's 50% of the final 4 and, had Wentz been healthy, it would've been the favorites in both the AFC and the NFC.

25 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

If that’s all it takes to be amazing then I continue to be excited about where the Jets can/will be this time next year. None of these matter without Ramsey and Fournette being top of the league players. 

I take out of this that the Jets can both write and rewrite history with some not so distant success. 

Errr, yeah right ok then.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Where is your evidence that things are changing this year?  

The 2018 playoffs. We’re on pace to get Bortles/40 year old Brady and Keenum/Foles next week. 

I’m still completely in the dark on what that list was supposes to show me. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Just peeked in one the awful-drafting Browns. They’ve gotten 25 TDs from their last three draft classes.

22 drafts away from catching up to the Browns! 

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The 2018 playoffs. We’re on pace to get Bortles/40 year old Brady and Keenum/Foles next week. 

I’m still completely in the dark on what that list was supposes to show me. 

22 drafts away from catching up to the Browns! 

"40 year old Brady" is the favorite to win NFL MVP.  Wentz took the Eagles to where they are but you're giving Foles credit for his accomplishments?

That list is supposed to show you that FQBs have won a bunch of SBs the past 15 years and there's no absolutely zero evidence to suggest that things are changing.  The reigning SB champ is Brady and he's the favorite to win it again.  The NFC's #1 seed was also led by a young FQB in Wentz.  Now that Foles is there, the Eagles will likely be the underdog again next week.

Meanwhile with Aaron Rodgers, the Packers are a legit SB contender.  Without him, they struggle to be a .500 team.  I see absolutely no merit to your argument.

12 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Errr, yeah right ok then.

You’re basically jerking them off for Fowler and Bortles emerging as mediocre starters four years after the fact and finding a handful of role players in UDFA and non-first picks that you’ve arbitrarily labeled studs outside of the two skill player studs they’ve landed. Crazy as it may sound, that isn’t so otherworldly to me. 

that's a hot take.

One thing that's always been true is that you don't have to have an all world QB to win a championship, you just have to have a good one- or at least one that gets hot at the right time.

In the end it takes a great TEAM to win a championship, a stout defense, valuable offensive weapons, a good offensive line, etc. A really good Qb helps but is not the only factor involved (or else the Saints, Packers and Colts would have been winning titles every single year instead of just a few). nothing about this postseason changes that.

The thing I think gets loss in all of this is there is an enormous difference between a HOF QB and a franchise QB.

It is really a pet peeve of mine when people say something like, "Tom Brady, case closed".  Tom Brady is the exception, hell he's even a step past the exception.  Belicheck and Brady as a duo are the reasons for their dominance.  Neither individually would be nearly as prolific without the other.

A "franchise" QB doesn't guaranty crap.  Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB, the Lions aren't any sort of sure thing.  Philip Rivers is a franchise QB.  Jameis Winston. Andrew Luck. There are lots of examples.

Bottom line is if you do not have an elite, first ballot HOF type QB, it still comes down to having a complete roster and good coaching.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

The thing I think gets loss in all of this is there is an enormous difference between a HOF QB and a franchise QB.

It is really a pet peeve of mine when people say something like, "Tom Brady, case closed".  Tom Brady is the exception, he'll he's even a step past the exception.  Belicheck and Brady as a duo are the reasons for their dominance.  Neither individually would be nearly as prolific without the other.

A "franchise" QB doesn't guaranty crap.  Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB, the Lions aren't any sort of sure thing.  Philip Rivers is a franchise QB.  Jamie's Winston. Andrew Luck. There are lots of examples.

Bottom line is if you do not have an elite, first ballot HOF type QB, it still comes down to having a complete roster and good coaching.

Comes back to definition. What is the definition of a franchise QB?

2 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

that's a hot take.

One thing that's always been true is that you don't have to have an all world QB to win a championship, you just have to have a good one- or at leas tone that gets hot at the right time.

In the end it takes a great TEAM to win a championship, a stout defense, valuable offensive weapons, a good offensive line, etc. A really good Qb helps but is not the only factor involved (or else the Saints, Packers and Colts would have been winning titles every single year instead of just a few). nothing about this postseason changes that.

Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers are all HOFers.  Russell Wilson has a shot at being HOFer as well.  Only Joe Flacco isn't HOF-worthy of the most recent SB winners.

image.png

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers are all HOFers.  Russell Wilson has a shot at being HOFer as well.  Only Joe Flacco isn't HOF-worthy of the most recent SB winners.

image.png

Okay... I don't see your point. Really good franchise QB's help you win championships. This is known, there's no disputing that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its not the only factor and that's almost always been the case, so the OP's barking up the wrong tree by saying their time is coming to an end based on this postseason. Almost all those teams listed above had more than just a great QB, and many teams who didn't win the title but had one but lacked in other areas.

Edit- Though I have to say if you want to see a championship winning team win despite their QB the Bronco's are a good example, they had the ghost of Peyton Manning as their QB- he was far better when they lost during 48.

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It is really a pet peeve of mine when people say something like, "Tom Brady, case closed".  Tom Brady is the exception, hell he's even a step past the exception.  Belicheck and Brady as a duo are the reasons for their dominance.  Neither individually would be nearly as prolific without the other.

A "franchise" QB doesn't guaranty crap.  Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB, the Lions aren't any sort of sure thing.  Philip Rivers is a franchise QB.  Jameis Winston. Andrew Luck. There are lots of examples.

Ooooh, nice 

So it’s more like a last hurrah for last generation’s HOF QBs. Something did feel off when I started the thread, could have went with a less sensational title. 

5 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Okay... I don't see your point. Really good franchise QB's help you win championships. This is known, there's no disputing that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its not the only factor and that's almost always been the case, so the OP's barking up the wrong tree by saying their time is coming to an end based on this postseason. Almost all those teams listed above had more than just a great QB, and many teams who didn't win the title but had one but lacked in other areas.

Nobody is saying that it's a QB alone but let's not kid ourselves:

Packers with Aaron Rodgers = legit SB contender

Packers without Aaron Rodgers = probably an under .500 team

49ers without Jimmy G = 1-10 record

49ers with Jimmy G = 5-0 record

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Ooooh, nice 

So it’s more like a last hurrah for last generation’s HOF QBs. Something did feel off when I started the thread, could have went with a less sensational title. 

It'll be that when Brady retires. Or when he drops dead. Which ever comes first, and at this point I'm thinking the latter is more likely.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nobody is saying that it's a QB alone.  But let's not kid ourselves. 

Packers with Aaron Rodgers = legit SB contender

Packers without Aaron Rodgers = probably an under .500 team

49ers without Jimmy G = 1-10 record

49ers with Jimmy G = 5-0 record

QB is important, yup.

27 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Ooooh, nice 

Just for the record, that wasn't directed at you.  I tend to agree with you.  I've said it before actually.  I think NFL franchises are realizing how hard it is to hit on QBs coming out of the current college landscape, so focus is shifting back to other areas so that you can still compete without getting that golden ticket.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Just for the record, that wasn't directed at you.  I tend to agree with you.  I've said it before actually.  I think NFL franchises are realizing how hard it is to hit on QBs coming out of the current college landscape, so focus is shifting back to other areas so that you can still compete without getting that golden ticket.

Nah I thought you were just speaking to the thread and just agree with you in general. I think factors like improved pro coaching at the position, increased specialization on offense, and a less mystical approach to the position have contributed to what we’re seeing this postseason. 

Archived