Playoff takeaway so far: The Franchise QB era is coming to an end.

SenorGato

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

How many have his FA, trades and waiver wires produced? Haha I don't expect Safties, DL, or LBs to have many TDs :D

You build a roster through the draft. Most of his key signings are long gone. His drafts have been comically bad and there's no indication they're going to get better. You're high picks need to be either throwing touchdowns, scoring touchdowns, sacking the QB or intercepting passes. None of his picks have done any of those things.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Not one QB this postseason is outright the best player on their offense or team anymore. And if I’m being honest it has made for some pretty good football outside of the primetime Saturday night game that no one should have watched anyway. 

Including Tom Brady??

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

Jaksonville has been crushing drafts for 4 straight years. Bortles in 2014 is the red herring unless you look closer and at the situation, it was understandable, Caldwell has, at least, had a plan for 5 years. 

Need stars not mediocre starters emerging years later like Fowler and Bortles. They’re nowhere without Ramsey or Fournette. 

13 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Jaksonville has been crushing drafts for 4 straight years. Bortles in 2014 is the red herring unless you look closer and at the situation, it was understandable, Caldwell has, at least, had a plan for 5 years. 

And it’s taken.....5 years

55 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Probably McCown will win a SB if we give him some weapons

Ha. Well if we had McCown in 09/10 instead of horrible mark Sanchez we probably get 1st round bye in playoffs both years and probably win 1 Super Bowl at least. If Sanchez was the qb of this team we are picking 2 overall this upcoming draft ha

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You build a roster through the draft. Most of his key signings are long gone. His drafts have been comically bad and there's no indication they're going to get better. You're high picks need to be either throwing touchdowns, scoring touchdowns, sacking the QB or intercepting passes. None of his picks have done any of those things.

Have you taken into consideration that Jamal Adams is a leader?

Just now, SenorGato said:

Need stars not mediocre starters emerging years later like Fowler and Bortles. They’re nowhere without Ramsey or Fournette. 

2013: Omameh starting LG UDFA

2014: Robinson Pro Bowler WR 2nd round, Smith All Pro 5th round, Linder Pro Bowl OC 3rd round, Lee Good Starting WR 2nd round, Hurns UDFA

2015: Fowler is an emerging star 1st round, Yeldon is a great 2nd RB 2nd round, Cann is a stud OG 3rd round, Koyack solid TE 7th round

2016: Ramsey All Pro caliber 1st, Jack is a stud 2nd round, Ngakoue is a stud pass rusher 3rd round

2017: Fournette All Pro caliber 1st, Robinson stud in the 2nd round, Smoot stud DL 3rd round, Westbrook looks really good 4th, Brown's contributed 5th round

An amazing job. In five years....

Offense: 4-5 starters on OL all drafted and all are good to great. A pro bowl RB plus a really good back up, A pro bowl WR plus a really good starter plus their #3 and #4 WRs, starting TE in 7th (although shares time with Lewis)....and well, Bortles

Defense: 2 Pro Bowl caliber DL plus 2 huge FA signing plus Smoot contributing, 1 All Pro LB plus Jack who could be a pro bowler, All Pro DB

9 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

And it’s taken.....5 years

True. Need to see some development and as I've said in other threads, Mac really needs to start nailing some picks and not just one. Depends how you see guys like Maye and Jenkins coming along etc. The problem is Caldwell has nailed it at every position through 5 years. We'll see but Mac has ALOT of cathcing up to do. 

Where's the OG's as in plural? OC? OT? LB? CB? RB? WRs? multiple DL? 

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

True. Need to see some development and as I've said in other threads, Mac really needs to start nailing some picks and not just one. Depends how you see guys like Maye and Jenkins coming along etc. The problem is Caldwell has nailed it at every position through 5 years. We'll see but Mac has ALOT of cathcing up to do. 

Agree.... although don’t forget it’s not just about the draft, you build a roster a number of ways. FA, trades, waivers etc all add up. There’s no question this is a critical offseason where he has to nail not only the draft but FA too but it’s taken the Jags & Caldwell 5 years(and a coaching change btw)for it to start coming together. I’m giving Maccagnan at least 4 years. It would help if the coach then went out and made the most of the players he’s given

1 hour ago, slats said:

Get back to me when Blake Bortles beats Tom Brady in NE. 

Gonna take a rain check on that and we will talk when Case Keenum beats Tommy Brady in the Super Bowl.

Home game for the Vikings lol.

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If we get production out of players that weren't drafted why is that a detriment? It's not like we've overpaid anyone or invested a 1st on offense. Let's see what we do in an offseason where offense looks like the priority before we start pouting. 

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Agree.... although don’t forget it’s not just about the draft, you build a roster a number of ways. FA, trades, waivers etc all add up. There’s no question this is a critical offseason where he has to nail not only the draft but FA too but it’s taken the Jags & Caldwell 5 years(and a coaching change btw)for it to start coming together. I’m giving Maccagnan at least 4 years. It would help if the coach then went out and made the most of the players he’s given

As a disclaimer Caldwell's done it in 4 years with a bad rookie draft in 2013 but he did land their starting RG as an UDFA in 13. Mac is behind the 8 ball

14 minutes ago, HessStation said:

2013: Omameh starting LG UDFA

2014: Robinson Pro Bowler WR 2nd round, Smith All Pro 5th round, Linder Pro Bowl OC 3rd round, Lee Good Starting WR 2nd round, Hurns UDFA

2015: Fowler is an emerging star 1st round, Yeldon is a great 2nd RB 2nd round, Cann is a stud OG 3rd round, Koyack solid TE 7th round

2016: Ramsey All Pro caliber 1st, Jack is a stud 2nd round, Ngakoue is a stud pass rusher 3rd round

2017: Fournette All Pro caliber 1st, Robinson stud in the 2nd round, Smoot stud DL 3rd round, Westbrook looks really good 4th, Brown's contributed 5th round

An amazing job. In five years....

Offense: 4-5 starters on OL all drafted and all are good to great. A pro bowl RB plus a really good back up, A pro bowl WR plus a really good starter plus their #3 and #4 WRs, starting TE in 7th (although shares time with Lewis)....and well, Bortles

Defense: 2 Pro Bowl caliber DL plus 2 huge FA signing plus Smoot contributing, 1 All Pro LB plus Jack who could be a pro bowler, All Pro DB

If that’s all it takes to be amazing then I continue to be excited about where the Jets can/will be this time next year. None of these matter without Ramsey and Fournette being top of the league players. 

I take out of this that the Jets can both write and rewrite history with some not so distant success. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

They don't have to give anything away, just pay the man, and draft Barkley at 6.

Top 10 O

I don’t think they need to trade up. I’d rather stay put or trade back but a lot of posters think you need to get a QB with the first or second pick in order to make it to the championship games. Look at what QBs are left. Only one was draft high (Bortles 3rd over all) the rest are late 2nd, 3rd, 6th OT undrafted. 

I’d rather have a balanced team. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Not one QB this postseason is outright the best player on their offense or team anymore. And if I’m being honest it has made for some pretty good football outside of the primetime Saturday night game that no one should have watched anyway. 

AFC Superbowl QB Since 2004:

04: Tom Brady
05: Tom Brady
06: Ben Roethlisberger
07: Peyton Manning
08: Tom Brady
09: Ben Roethlisberger
10: Peyton Manning
11: Ben Roethlisberger
12: Tom Brady
13: Joe Flacco
14: Peyton Manning
15: Tom Brady
16: Peyton Manning
17: Tom Brady

18: Brady or Bortles

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Tom Brady

without him Pats are nothing 

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Other way around Ben played in 10’ Peyton in 09’

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I’m not sure what the point is here. I didn’t say it started dying in 2004! 

Archived