Playoff takeaway so far: The Franchise QB era is coming to an end.

SenorGato

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SenorGato said:

Awww sh*t much clever. Does this acknowledgement of Cousins’ skill level last beyond this post?! 

it's an acknowledgment that landing Cousins will require franchise QB money. You're telling me that's not necessary.

Rookies and wooden leg stand-ins can make it happen! I support this thread. 

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

it's an acknowledgment that landing Cousins will require franchise QB money. You're telling me that's not necessary.

Rookies and wooden leg stand-ins can make it happen! I support this thread. 

Yeeaaaah, no, literally never said that. Once again I do appreciate the momentary acknowledgement of Cousins’ skills, even if it was only done to poorly attemtp making some point. 

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yeeaaaah, no, literally never said that. Once again I do appreciate the momentary acknowledgement of Cousins’ skills, even if it was only done to poorly attemtp making some point. 

OK, can you clearly outline what is a "franchise QB" vs "QB who get paid like franchise QBs but aren't Franchise QBs" and thus fit your paradox

Red Leader, standing by. 

Whether a team has a top-notch franchise QB or not, the value of a competent back-up is front and center this season.  And by competent back-up, I do not mean a future franchise player in waiting -- just an experienced guy who can come in and be good enough to get the job done, warts and all.

Just now, Paradis said:

OK, can you clearly outline what is a "franchise QB" vs "QB who get paid like franchise QBs but aren't Franchise QBs" and thus fit your paradox

Red Leader, standing by. 

No one is paying for some outdated, vague label. You pay Cousins because passing is *extremely* valuable and he’s shown an ability to pass like the fancier, shinier names do, not because of some dumb label no one in the history of history has ever clearly defined. 

Again THO - do appreciate the brief acknowledgement of Cousins’ skills, even if that was not your intention. 

3 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Whether a team has a top-notch franchise QB or not, the value of a competent back-up is front and center this season.  And by competent back-up, I do not mean a future franchise player in waiting -- just an experienced guy who can come in and be good enough to get the job done, warts and all.

I’m looking forward to the first team that works a legit two QB system. Maybe 10-15 years

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Aka you’d rather they continue to suck. 

No, I'd rather they'd get a talented QB at a a much lower price and allocate resources elsewhere rather than dump a sh*tload of money towards a QB who I feel is completely overrated and not the game changer everybody makes him out to be

Here's my playoff takeaway:

In general, NFL coaching is awful. It explains why Belichick and crew win so much (apart from the cheating) and why people outside the Jets area don't think Bowles is that bad.

The Patriots don't make the mistakes that Reid, Payton, Marrone, Tomlin and others make. Thusly they have an edge.

I have seen so many bad playcalls, time management decisions, and general decisions in these playoffs to last me a whiel

8 minutes ago, King P said:

No, I'd rather they'd get a talented QB at a a much lower price and allocate resources elsewhere rather than dump a sh*tload of money towards a QB who I feel is completely overrated and not the game changer everybody makes him out to be

Who’s doing all that? All I see anyone doing is noting his performance as a starter has put him among the best passers in the league. The only people I see really married to labels like game changer or franchise QB are people who need the conversation to be steered away from his performance as a passer and into the mystical. 

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t think they need to trade up. I’d rather stay put or trade back but a lot of posters think you need to get a QB with the first or second pick in order to make it to the championship games. Look at what QBs are left. Only one was draft high (Bortles 3rd over all) the rest are late 2nd, 3rd, 6th OT undrafted. 

I’d rather have a balanced team. 

Of the four teams remaining, none of them are paying top, top dollar for their QB.  Bortles is at 19, Brady at 20.  Wentz is on a rookie contract, and Keenum who knows.  Thus, these teams have the resources to build the rest of their team.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

"40 year old Brady" is the favorite to win NFL MVP.  Wentz took the Eagles to where they are but you're giving Foles credit for his accomplishments?

That list is supposed to show you that FQBs have won a bunch of SBs the past 15 years and there's no absolutely zero evidence to suggest that things are changing.  The reigning SB champ is Brady and he's the favorite to win it again.  The NFC's #1 seed was also led by a young FQB in Wentz.  Now that Foles is there, the Eagles will likely be the underdog again next week.

Meanwhile with Aaron Rodgers, the Packers are a legit SB contender.  Without him, they struggle to be a .500 team.  I see absolutely no merit to your argument.

The Packers can pay Rodgers because the Packers are excellent drafters.  This is where the Jets come off the rails.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That has never been the case, however it is the case if you want to have a shot at the title each year and make the playoffs each year.

If your QB is a medium level or worse guy you are not making the playoffs 8 out of 10 years.

Yup you need a 6th round pick that was passed over at least 5x by each team in the league and then have a solid offense, defense and the best coach in the history of the game, add a dash of cheating and you have a winning combo. 

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Probably McCown will win a SB if we give him some weapons

Considering he was a 67% passer with a very marginal line and no game breakers on offense, he could go far if we can get some finds in Free Agency and the Draft.   Of course I'd rather have Cousins for the next 8-9 years since we can accomplish what I listed above and still afford him. 

We know what we need to do to get to the super bowl, we just need to beat the Patriots and for that we need a rock solid defense as well.  Of course that defense doesn't appear to exist in the NFL and even if we have all those components we need a coaching staff with a great plan and that can make proper game time adjustments. 

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Bortles keenum foles. Yep real household names 

Everyone has been saying the NFL sucks this year. That's why it's so frustrating that our Jets went 5-11 in a year where Brady is the only "Franchise QB" left in the tournament.

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

2013: Omameh starting LG UDFA

2014: Robinson Pro Bowler WR 2nd round, Smith All Pro 5th round, Linder Pro Bowl OC 3rd round, Lee Good Starting WR 2nd round, Hurns UDFA

2015: Fowler is an emerging star 1st round, Yeldon is a great 2nd RB 2nd round, Cann is a stud OG 3rd round, Koyack solid TE 7th round

2016: Ramsey All Pro caliber 1st, Jack is a stud 2nd round, Ngakoue is a stud pass rusher 3rd round

2017: Fournette All Pro caliber 1st, Robinson stud in the 2nd round, Smoot stud DL 3rd round, Westbrook looks really good 4th, Brown's contributed 5th round

An amazing job. In five years....

Offense: 4-5 starters on OL all drafted and all are good to great. A pro bowl RB plus a really good back up, A pro bowl WR plus a really good starter plus their #3 and #4 WRs, starting TE in 7th (although shares time with Lewis)....and well, Bortles

Defense: 2 Pro Bowl caliber DL plus 2 huge FA signing plus Smoot contributing, 1 All Pro LB plus Jack who could be a pro bowler, All Pro DB

But until this year they didn't do anything.  New leadership had a major hand in that as well.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

No one is paying for some outdated, vague label. You pay Cousins because passing is *extremely* valuable and he’s shown an ability to pass like the fancier, shinier names do, not because of some dumb label no one in the history of history has ever clearly defined. 

Again THO - do appreciate the brief acknowledgement of Cousins’ skills, even if that was not your intention. 

i'm feelin' some hostility bro. 

2 hours ago, King P said:

I honestly would rather sign Bridgewater and take a QB in the mid rounds then go sign Cousins

You can still draft a mid round QB if you signed Cousins.  So you prefer Bridgewater over Cousins for financial reasons, or because you believe he's a better player?  Obviously the injury risk doesn't concern you with Bridgewater?  And with all the money we have finances shouldn't be concern with Cousins.  So despite Bridgewater's injury risk you still prefer him over Cousins.  Interesting.

2 hours ago, King P said:

Make a list of what you would want to add to this team in free agency (since that's where you're going to spend the vast majority of the $100M).  Accurately estimate what you would spend on the free agents.  Some folks here have done that analysis and came to the conclusion (which I support) that we can afford Bridgewater, or Cousins and in that analysis most folks would choose Cousins. 

9 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

You can still draft a mid round QB if you signed Cousins.  So you prefer Bridgewater over Cousins for financial reasons, or because you believe he's a better player?  Obviously the injury risk doesn't concern you with Bridgewater?  And with all the money we have finances shouldn't be concern with Cousins.  So despite Bridgewater's injury risk you still prefer him over Cousins.  Interesting.

The idea of us signing Bridgewater and keeping Petty and Hack nauseates me

1 minute ago, long suffering jets fan said:

That's not going to happen.  If by chance we go with Bridgewater, I feel strongly that we'll draft another QB earlier rather than later in the draft.  I'm not sure Petty is going to make it to training camp. 

Ok, Brudgewater/Hack and whatever bust Macc picks between Mayfield and Allen is also nauseating

What an incredible crock of sh*t! First of all, Foles didn’t get PHI there, their FRANCHISE QB, Wentz did. Bortles may not be great, but he’s a first round franchise QB. Case Keenum is playing out of his mind at the moment, and Brady is Brady. TEN-Mariota. StL-Goff. PIT-Roethlisberger. ATL-Ryan. NO-Brees. CAR-Newton. KC-Smith.

Christ every team but MIN and BUF got the the playoffs with a franchise QB. Yeah, let’s draft more defense dumbasses.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived