Playoff takeaway so far: The Franchise QB era is coming to an end.

SenorGato

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yes! You're at your best right now. Two different threads! 

after 4 seasons:

Eli Manning: 987-1805, 55%, 11385 yds, 77 TDs, 64 INTs, 73.4 rating

Blake Bortles: 1318-2229, 59.1%, 14928 yds, 90 TDs, 64 INts, 80.8 rating

if you prorate Eli's attempts to Bortles:

14,059 yds(869 less than Bortles)

95 TDs(5 more than Bortles)

79 INts(15 more than TO machine Bortles)

First 2 playoff games?

Eli: 26-45, 58%, 274 yds, 2 TDs, 4 INts, 53.4 rating led O to 10 PPG, 0-2 record

Bortles: 26-49, 53%, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 85.5 rating, led O to 24 PPG, 2-0 record

Oh by the way, the 38 points Bortles led his O to yesterday was MORE than Eli ever led an O to in any of his playoff games throughout his 14 year career.

Elite QB's win Super Bowls  and this year will be no exception when Brady wins another one.  The Foles, Keenum, Bortles,  story lines are nice but QB is king in this league and with all of the rules shifting towards helping the offensive side of the ball over the last few years,  QB will continue to be king.

I'll take my chances with Brees, Rothlisberger, Brady, Rodgers over Keenum, Foles, Bortles any day of the week.

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Elite QB's win Super Bowls  and this year will be no exception when Brady wins another one.  The Foles, Keenum, Bortles,  story lines are nice but QB is king in this league and with all of the rules shifting towards helping the offensive side of the ball over the last few years,  QB will continue to be king.

I'll take my chances with Brees, Rothlisberger, Brady, Rodgers over Keenum, Foles, Bortles any day of the week.

In most years but non elite QBs have won plenty of SBs:

50 peyton was awful

47 Flacco was not elite though he did play like it in that postseason run

46 Eli

42 Eli

37 Brad Johnson

35 Dilfer

26 Mark Rypien though he played elite that season

25 Jeff Hostetler

22 Doug Williams

21 Phil Simms

20 Jim McMahon

18 Jim Plunkett

15 Jim Plunkett

5 Unitas- wasn't elite at the time

You'd still rather have an elite guy but it's been done many times before w/o an elite QB.

it looks easy for Brady and NE but it looked easy in 2007 and 2011 too and we know how that worked out.

5 minutes ago, faba said:

I will take my chances with an elite QB hah

Brady or Bortles no contest

It's usually no contest Brady vs. any QB, it's foolish to bet against a man that is 26-9 in the playoffs, has won 5 SBs, been to 7 and been in the AFC title game 7 straight years BUT it was foolish to bet against Brady in SBs 42 & 46, jax has a chance. They are built like NYG was when they upset them and like we were when we upset them.  QB mismatch but great D gave those teams a chance.  jax can do this, they may not but they can.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:10 PM, slimjasi said:

You are missing the point. The point is that having a "franchise QB" gives you a much better chance to consistently field a competitively viable team that can actually contend for a championship. 

Starting QBs of the NFC Playoff teams - Carson Wentz, Case Keenum, Jared Goff, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan

Starting QBs of the AFC Playoff teams - Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Blake Bortles, Alex Smith (debatable), Marcus Mariota, Tyrod Taylor. 

All of the bolded guys (8 out of 12 playoff QBs) are either well established franchise QBs OR look like they have a great chance to be. (Also, I could have easily included Alex Smith and Keenum is only 29). 

And the guys that are unbolded needed nearly perfect circumstances surrounding them to get where they are.  That's not a sustainable method towards long-term success. 

I'd rather be elite at one position and be a perennial contender than have to work my a$$ off....and eventually spend a lot of money, to be elite at the other 21 spots on the field, + special teams.  

On 1/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

The thing I think gets loss in all of this is there is an enormous difference between a HOF QB and a franchise QB.

It is really a pet peeve of mine when people say something like, "Tom Brady, case closed".  Tom Brady is the exception, hell he's even a step past the exception.  Belicheck and Brady as a duo are the reasons for their dominance.  Neither individually would be nearly as prolific without the other.

A "franchise" QB doesn't guaranty crap.  Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB, the Lions aren't any sort of sure thing.  Philip Rivers is a franchise QB.  Jameis Winston. Andrew Luck. There are lots of examples.

Bottom line is if you do not have an elite, first ballot HOF type QB, it still comes down to having a complete roster and good coaching.

Correct.  But at least having a franchise QB allows you to just "set and forget".  In other words, you don't need to worry about trying to upgrade at the QB position for a decade, which is always the hardest position to evaluate.

NOT having a franchise QB gives you no real shot.  Having one gives you a shot, even if its just a small one.  

On 1/14/2018 at 8:59 PM, King P said:

No, I'd rather they'd get a talented QB at a a much lower price and allocate resources elsewhere rather than dump a sh*tload of money towards a QB who I feel is completely overrated and not the game changer everybody makes him out to be

Cool.  Who?

Archived