Analysis of Maccagnan's Draft Performance vs The Rest of The League

Jack Straw

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What position other than WR has he picked that can produce points?(No one better say QB)

is the scheme Bowles uses or the fashion he is using the picks in getting the best out of the picks? 

I mean, I’m not dismissing anything you have researched. Just all good questions to take into account.

I think TE's and RB's are allowed to score TD's.  And you're also allowed to score TD on Defense and in Special Teams!  Some teams are doing this...and it's CRAZY!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

What do you think the real world odds are of Bowles (and Macc, who seems the weaker of the two here) going sans Defense?

We'll be lucky if our first three picks are not ALL Defense.

I'm all but convinced that is the CB Fitzpatrick is available at pick #6, he's a near-lock to be a Jet.

Take it a step further, if Mac fuc*s up this FA and draft, it will set the franchise back 5+ years, and IMHO, they may never recover from it. This is something the tools at Florham Park should have considered before doling out 2 year extensions to a GM with this track record and a moron HC who couldn't coach a Pee wee team, the day after their second consecutive 5-11 season ended.

I am done with my research. Per profootballreference's approximate value stat,

The Jets got a value per pick in 2015 of 6.16666 in 3 years. (37 total value divided by 6 players)

Right now, the teams that got lower value per pick that draft were

Bills and Eagles tied the Jets

Cleveland: 5.66 

Baltimore: 4.22

Cincy: 4.111

Dallas: 4.38

Denver: 5.22

Detroit: 6.14 

Indy: 6

Jacksonville: 5.75

Oakland: 5.2

Pittsburgh: 4

San Francisco: 4.9

Seattle: 5.5

Tennessee: 6

Now in terms of overall cumulative value, only the Steelers and Cowboys got lower value cumulatively from their draft than the Jets.

But per pick, it looks a bit better

So to recap: In terms of cumulative value, the Jets finished 30th out of 32 in the 2015 draft

In terms of value per pick, the Jets finished 15th or so out of 32.

In other words, Leonard Williams saved that draft from being an absolute disaster/ worst draft ever.

BTW, Idzik's 12 pick draft after 4 years? A value of 42 or 3.5 value per pick after 4 years

So for people saing Idzik is better? Nope

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Bottom line is that you build your NFL team by hitting on the picks in the first two rounds with great frequency most every year. The rest is gravy. The Steelers are always viewed as a team that perpetually builds thought the draft. Of the 22 Steeler starters: 8 are first round picks ; 5 are second round picks ; 5 were taken after Round 2;  2 are undrafted free agents; and 2 are free agents from other teams. 

Regardless of who was named Jets' GM after Idzik, the new GM was inheriting a sh*thole of starting quality talent because Tanny and Idzik had 7 successive drafts from 2008 through 2014 where these guys were selected in the first and second rounds: Vernon Gholston (Round 1/Pick 6); Dustin Keller (1/30); Mark Sanchez (1/5); Kyle Wilson (1/29);  Vlad Ducasse (2/61); Muhammad Wilkerson (1/30); Quinton Coples (1/16); Stephen Hill (2/43); Dee Milner (1/9); Sheldon Richardson (1/13); Geno Smith (2/39); Calvin Pryor (1/18); Jace Amaro (2/49).

How many were busts? 8 out of 13 would be a kind assessment. So, at least 61% of the players Tanny and Idzik picked in the first two rounds from 2008 through 2014 were busts. My God!

While I do not believe that Mac is a great GM, I do "believe" he is competent and, like most of us, will get better at his job through experience (i.e. learning from mistakes). Plus, there are no Ron Wolfs or Bill Polians waiting with baited breath to take the Jets GM job. This is because people in the business of the NFL know that the Jets have the least overall talent on their roster of any team in the entire NFL and it will take years to remedy it. So, I'm content with Mac so long as he does not screw up the QB selection this year. If he does screw it up, then my "belief" that he is competent will have been incorrect. 

totally agree on the previous drafts.  and if you look back at the bradway era, it wasn't much better.  mangold, d'brick, revis, and harris are prime examples of why good first and second round draft picks are essential.  there are enough 2nd round busts to make a decent team.

the thing about mac is that he came in as a rookie gm and is entitled to make some mistakes.  we can only hope that this next draft and free agency period he rights many of the wrongs and gets the jets to be more than respectable.  the clock is ticking.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

POTY. Maccganan’s a total idiot and the franchise is going nowhere until he gets fired.

What's worse is we will probably (again) get closer, but not nearly close enough, before getting worse again. Of course as we do get (very temporarily) closer, this will serve as evidence to some/many that we're on the right track long-term. In actuality we are not. 

Meanwhile dozens of past-fired GMs throughout the league over the years (outside of Cleveland lol) have shown it's not such a hard task to have a short-term rise from 4-5 wins up to 9-10 wins. What makes a team more likely to win it all (other than cheating) is having more chances. So that's generally staying in that 9-10 win baseline so they're WC teams at least half/most of the off-seasons, and bumping up to 12+ wins in between those "down" years to get a bye and/or homefield advantage.

What we've got is trash that, every few years after a spending fury, bumps up to about 10 wins for 1 season (occasionally two), followed by a hard crash down to 4-6 wins again as our baseline. Our chances will remain at a minimum.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

What we've got is trash that, every few years after a spending fury, bumps up to about 10 wins for 1 season (occasionally two), followed by a hard crash down to 4-6 wins again as our baseline. Our chances will remain at a minimum.

Right. And who perpetuates that? Woody Johnson. All goes back to the owner. Except, he's now mostly out of the picture

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

What do you think the real world odds are of Bowles (and Macc, who seems the weaker of the two here) going sans Defense?

We'll be lucky if our first three picks are not ALL Defense.

I'm all but convinced that is the CB Fitzpatrick is available at pick #6, he's a near-lock to be a Jet.

I’d go zero because they can afford to rebuild the offense and squeeze in the pass rusher and CB. 

Bottom line is that you build your NFL team by hitting on the picks in the first two rounds with great frequency most every year. The rest is gravy. The Steelers are always viewed as a team that perpetually builds thought the draft. Of the 22 Steeler starters: 8 are first round picks ; 5 are second round picks ; 5 were taken after Round 2;  2 are undrafted free agents; and 2 are free agents from other teams. 

Regardless of who was named Jets' GM after Idzik, the new GM was inheriting a sh*thole of starting quality talent because Tanny and Idzik had 7 successive drafts from 2008 through 2014 where these guys were selected in the first and second rounds: Vernon Gholston (Round 1/Pick 6); Dustin Keller (1/30); Mark Sanchez (1/5); Kyle Wilson (1/29);  Vlad Ducasse (2/61); Muhammad Wilkerson (1/30); Quinton Coples (1/16); Stephen Hill (2/43); Dee Milner (1/9); Sheldon Richardson (1/13); Geno Smith (2/39); Calvin Pryor (1/18); Jace Amaro (2/49).

How many were busts? 8 out of 13 would be a kind assessment. So, at least 61% of the players Tanny and Idzik picked in the first two rounds from 2008 through 2014 were busts. My God!

While I do not believe that Mac is a great GM, I do "believe" he is competent and, like most of us, will get better at his job through experience (i.e. learning from mistakes). Plus, there are no Ron Wolfs or Bill Polians waiting with baited breath to take the Jets GM job. This is because people in the business of the NFL know that the Jets have the least overall talent on their roster of any team in the entire NFL and it will take years to remedy it. So, I'm content with Mac so long as he does not screw up the QB selection this year. If he does screw it up, then my "belief" that he is competent will have been incorrect. 

This.

My feelings exactly

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I for one am completely baffled at the lack of rushing yards, receiving yards, and TDs of Adams and  Lee. How does that happen?

What you should be surprised by is that an average Jets offensive, non-QB draft pick under Maccagnan averages only 113 yards of total offense/year and .33 TDs/year.

What should be concerning, on the defensive side of the ball is that the investment of draft picks in Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Lorenzo Mauldin, Darron Lee, Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones, Justin Burris, and Jordan Jenkins have combined for a total of six interceptions in 13 cumulative seasons of football.

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

What you should be surprised by is that an average Jets offensive, non-QB draft pick under Maccagnan averages only 113 yards of total offense/year and .33 TDs/year.

What should be concerning, on the defensive side of the ball is that the investment of draft picks in Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Lorenzo Mauldin, Darron Lee, Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones, Justin Burris, and Jordan Jenkins have combined for a total of six interceptions in 13 cumulative seasons of football.

Your analysis is skewed. It only stated offensive categories for consideration.

In order for it to carry at least a little bit of analytical weight you would need to include, at the very least:

-Number of picks for each team

-A weighted value of pick position

-Number of offensive (by position) and defensive (by position)picks per team

-Comparison of those weighted value

-Then comparison of like wighted teams by position

That would only be a start.

I know this is hard to believe, but you almost attacked this as if you first had a conclusion, and then created data to support that conclusion.

And I have no real agenda in terms of Macc good or bad. Just that this was done haphazardly.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Your analysis is skewed. It only stated offensive categories for consideration.

In order for it to carry at least a little bit of analytical weight you would need to include, at the very least:

-Number of picks for each team

-A weighted value of pick position

-Number of offensive (by position) and defensive (by position)picks per team

-Comparison of those weighted value

-Then comparison of like wighted teams by position

That would only be a start.

I know this is hard to believe, but you almost attacked this as if you first had a conclusion, and then created data to support that conclusion.

And I have no real agenda in terms of Macc good or bad. Just that this was done haphazardly.

1) I didn't have any expectations going into this and didn't start with any conclusions. 

2) I did not only state offensive categories for consideration. If you look, I included sacks and interceptions.

3) I'm in the process of breaking down total offensive players drafted + cumulative seasons played in the least three years and looking at per year averages of each draft pick to see how our players are performing against the league. 

This is time consuming and what I shared was preliminary but startling. I'll update you on new findings.

2 hours ago, jetrider said:

You are mostly wrong; they are on the same page on the same rung unlike other teams where the GM has leverage and hires the HC.

Actually that is a recipe for disaster. You have to have someone calling the shots. Someone has to be in charge and make the calls. By all means take the other guys opinion on a player into consideration but in the end it has to come down to one guy making the decisions.You don't see many other successful teams with the same power structure do you? There's a reason for that. IT DOESN'T WORK.

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's worse is we will probably (again) get closer, but not nearly close enough, before getting worse again. Of course as we do get (very temporarily) closer, this will serve as evidence to some/many that we're on the right track long-term. In actuality we are not. 

Meanwhile dozens of past-fired GMs throughout the league over the years (outside of Cleveland lol) have shown it's not such a hard task to have a short-term rise from 4-5 wins up to 9-10 wins. What makes a team more likely to win it all (other than cheating) is having more chances. So that's generally staying in that 9-10 win baseline so they're WC teams at least half/most of the off-seasons, and bumping up to 12+ wins in between those "down" years to get a bye and/or homefield advantage.

Exactly

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

1) I didn't have any expectations going into this and didn't start with any conclusions. 

2) I did not only state offensive categories for consideration. If you look, I included sacks and interceptions.

3) I'm in the process of breaking down total offensive players drafted + cumulative seasons played in the least three years and looking at per year averages of each draft pick to see how our players are performing against the league. 

This is time consuming and what I shared was preliminary but startling. I'll update you on new findings.

I understand and respect that it is very time consuming. It is also near impossible to draw conclusion, unless every team picked the same position in the same round. That would at least give a fairer comparison.

You would then need to include EVERY basis of team statistic in analysis.

Even with all that, It still would be near impossible to draw hard evidence conclusions. Every team is not created equal. And every draft oick is brought on to a team with different expectations, all of which cannot be categorized in mere statistics.

I applaud the effort. Just doubt any hard conclusion

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What we've got is trash that, every few years after a spending fury, bumps up to about 10 wins for 1 season (occasionally two), followehad by a hard crash down to 4-6 wins again as our baseline. Our chances will remain at a minimum.

This has been the trend but  If we find a QB this all changes.  The way to have consistent success is through a franchise QB.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The following is a tangent and is not on MacCagnan but is relevant re the draft none the less.

Since the Jets took DBrick and Mangold in 2006 the Jets have used one 2nd rounder (Ducasse) and one 3rd rounder (Winters) on the oline, all the rest of the oline picks have been in the 2nd part of the draft, hopes and wishes and dreams.

Dear NY Jets, QUIT NEGLECTING THE OFFENSIVE LINE!

They also bought Faneca and Woody for big money, Jets had the most expensive in the league at the beginning of the decade IIRC. D’Brick holding LT for a decade eliminated the need to use a first round pick at the position, and for a long time that was the only OL position to use a first on. 

31 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Think not including tackles as a raw number makes sense. it can go either way-either the defender is a tackling demon, or they run plays in his direction because he sucks or because another defender is superior and they want to avoid that guy. 

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This has been the trend but  If we find a QB this all changes.  The way to have consistent success is through a franchise QB.

13 of the Jets 14 playoff season occurred with a QB the Jets selected in the first round at the helm. In fact, every QB the Jets have selected in the first round since Namath has become the starting QB and led the Jets to the playoffs. Hopefully, they'll pick a QB in the first round this year and continue that trend.

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Think not including tackles as a raw number makes sense. it can go either way-either the defender is a tackling demon, or they run plays in his direction because he sucks or because another defender is superior and they want to avoid that guy. 

Tackles for loss I think should have been included because it is a negative play

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Those are actually questions I considered and may answer if I find the time. We've actually made six selections in three years (not including QB), on positions with a focus on scoring the football (WR, TE, RB). Those six players, on average, were drafted in the early 4th round, and have combined for 1,019 total yards (rushing + receiving) and 3 TDs. 

For some context, Ju-Ju Smith Schuster had 917 yards and 7 TDs in his rookie year. For all intents and purposes, JuJu has produced 2.5x the amount of touchdowns and basically the same number of total yards in one season, as a rookie, than our last six players have produced in a total of nine seasons. (Elijah McGuire, Hansen, Stewart, Leggert each have 1 season, Peake 2, Smith 3).

That is pretty awful. And it's not like Ju-Ju was a top 5 pick...he went at the bottom of round 2 at 62nd overall. In fact, when digging a bit further, I found that there were more than 20 rookies from just this year who have all produced as many or more touchdowns than the Jets have produced from six players in nine seasons worth of "production."

That is just horrendous.

Was Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing to him?

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I understand and respect that it is very time consuming. It is also near impossible to draw conclusion, unless every team picked the same position in the same round. That would at least give a fairer comparison.

You would then need to include EVERY basis of team statistic in analysis.

Even with all that, It still would be near impossible to draw hard evidence conclusions. Every team is not created equal. And every draft oick is brought on to a team with different expectations, all of which cannot be categorized in mere statistics.

I applaud the effort. Just doubt any hard conclusion

I have to disagree on one point. For the most part, every RB/FB, TE, and WR are picked for the same reasons: to help the team gain yards and to score touchdowns. On the defensive side of the ball, it gets a little trickier, but on the offensive side of the ball it's pretty clear how success is defined, at least from a statistical standpoint.

So here are some updated numbers just focusing on the offensive side of the ball. Each team across the league, on average, has picked 6.75 offensive "skill" players over the last three years. On average, these 6.75 players average 271 yards of offense and 1.7 TD's for their respective teams per year.

The Jets, in comparison to the rest of the league, have made 6 offensive picks in three years, slightly below the league average...however, those picks have averaged 133 yards per year (29th in the league) and .33 TDs/year (31st in the league).

I can breakdown the value of the investment the Jets made on offense versus the rest of the league (based on where their players were picked - eg 4th round on average versus a league wide average of the 2nd round) - and that could be telling, but for the most part, it doesn't look like the Jets have a clue as to how to find producing assets at skill positions.

Updated data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRmKT2Hev5JVxEiG1-R-mtEp81xVRWDR7PjLByGrSP8yBf3qiTnI7T9KPREtBvzjHAueInaTe_iGTzs/pubhtml

38 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Actually that is a recipe for disaster. You have to have someone calling the shots. Someone has to be in charge and make the calls. By all means take the other guys opinion on a player into consideration but in the end it has to come down to one guy making the decisions.You don't see many other successful teams with the same power structure do you? There's a reason for that. IT DOESN'T WORK.

Get the sense Maccagnan, Bowles and Johnson sat around in a lovely circle every draft and tried to get along with a consensus pick. Nobody wanted to ruffle feathers. HAPPYTALK NONSENSE, GO ALONG GET ALONG. Picking defense and calling it "BAP" every time means everyone walked away kinda happy. And what they needed was a lunatic to scream 'ARE YOU F---ING KIDDING? YOU NEED A QB RIGHT NOW!" 

12 picks in 2014. 9 picks in 2015 (6 used on prospects, 3 traded for veterans who aren't here). First 2 picks in 2016 = 23 picks I'm referring to. https://twitter.com/JCaporoso/status/952956335779401735 

Joe Caporoso

@JCaporoso

A large portion of #Jets current issues derive from reality that only 1 player from both the 2014 & 2015 draft class are set to be contributors next season (Enunwa, Williams), along with disappointing output to date from top two '16 picks. Brutal stretch to overcome over 23 picks

10 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I have to disagree on one point. For the most part, every RB/FB, TE, and WR are picked for the same reasons: to help the team gain yards and to score touchdowns. On the defensive side of the ball, it gets a little trickier, but on the offensive side of the ball it's pretty clear how success is defined, at least from a statistical standpoint.

So here are some updated numbers just focusing on the offensive side of the ball. Each team across the league, on average, has picked 6.75 offensive "skill" players over the last three years. On average, these 6.75 players average 271 yards of offense and 1.7 TD's for their respective teams per year.

The Jets, in comparison to the rest of the league, have made 6 offensive picks in three years, slightly below the league average...however, those picks have averaged 133 yards per year (29th in the league) and .33 TDs/year (31st in the league).

I can breakdown the value of the investment the Jets made on offense versus the rest of the league (based on where their players were picked - eg 4th round on average versus a league wide average of the 2nd round) - and that could be telling, but for the most part, it doesn't look like the Jets have a clue as to how to find producing assets at skill positions.

Updated data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRmKT2Hev5JVxEiG1-R-mtEp81xVRWDR7PjLByGrSP8yBf3qiTnI7T9KPREtBvzjHAueInaTe_iGTzs/pubhtml

Appreciate the efforts, again. But even as you say, a first rd RB has far greater expectations than say, a fourth rd RB. Certainly , the 1st rd RB should be expected to contribute immediately, whereas the a fourth rd rb may be slotted only for spot duty, or future carries, or even as a RB pass catcher out of the backfield.

Again, every team construct and need is different. Does a team that drafted a RB and has a "great" offensive line get weighed differently than a team with a so-so offensive line? Shouldn't they.

Just so many variables. And this is not to say that Mac is great

Not really trying to defend Mac but this "study" was clearly made with a conclusion in mind and tailored towards that. The metrics you chose were obviously not going to lead to a positive outcome. Mac hasn't drafted a top-tier RB because we had Forte and Powell the last few years, obviously the running numbers would reflect this. You also know that he hasn't drafted a WR that has gotten significant playing time, and you are ignoring the production of Anderson, one of his successes. 

If you wanted to make an honest study of Mac vs. his peers at GM (something I have seriously considered doing out of curiosity, not to prove my already formed opinion of him) than you would look at the PFF rankings of all of the draft picks the last 3 years to see if they lived up to where they were drafted. 

Of course this would take a lot of time and number-crunching (which is why I never got around to doing it) but at least it would give an honest reflection of his drafting skills. 

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I am done with my research. Per profootballreference's approximate value stat,

The Jets got a value per pick in 2015 of 6.16666 in 3 years. (37 total value divided by 6 players)

Right now, the teams that got lower value per pick that draft were

Bills and Eagles tied the Jets

Cleveland: 5.66 

Baltimore: 4.22

Cincy: 4.111

Dallas: 4.38

Denver: 5.22

Detroit: 6.14 

Indy: 6

Jacksonville: 5.75

Oakland: 5.2

Pittsburgh: 4

San Francisco: 4.9

Seattle: 5.5

Tennessee: 6

Now in terms of overall cumulative value, only the Steelers and Cowboys got lower value cumulatively from their draft than the Jets.

But per pick, it looks a bit better

This seems like a more objective evaluation method.

3 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Not really trying to defend Mac but this "study" was clearly made with a conclusion in mind and tailored towards that. The metrics you chose were obviously not going to lead to a positive outcome. Mac hasn't drafted a top-tier RB because we had Forte and Powell the last few years, obviously the running numbers would reflect this. You also know that he hasn't drafted a WR that has gotten significant playing time, and you are ignoring the production of Anderson, one of his successes. 

If you wanted to make an honest study of Mac vs. his peers at GM (something I have seriously considered doing out of curiosity, not to prove my already formed opinion of him) than you would look at the PFF rankings of all of the draft picks the last 3 years to see if they lived up to where they were drafted. 

Of course this would take a lot of time and number-crunching (which is why I never got around to doing it) but at least it would give an honest reflection of his drafting skills. 

I didn't create this with anything in mind. In fact, the reason why these stats were chosen is because that's what was available from Pro Football Reference. See for yourself here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm

Just now, Jack Straw said:

I didn't create this with anything in mind. In fact, the reason why these stats were chosen is because that's what was available from Pro Football Reference. See for yourself here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm

So basically we used the same reference point. I used the value, you used the actual numbers

Organizational and coaching philosophy come into play here as well.  As an org or coach are you willing to let rookies play and develop with game time or are you not?

Lets look at our WR picks from last year.  Do they not look like they are doing much because they are not good enough?  Does the coaches want vets that know what they are doing?  (We went out and got Kerley and Kearse just before the year.)

Archived