Pass rushers

SenorGato

TBH mostly just want to see what I think of these guys after the combine but am looking at...No order:

Arden Key - I lack faith. Danielle Hunter is the only LSU DL prospect I took seriously and only after his combine. 

Bradley Chubb - Best prospect in this draft. Reminds me of Terrell Suggs. Intense. 

Marcus Davenport - This is the non-QB prospect I am most interested in at the Senior Bowl and combine. Could DeMarcus Ware the process. Smooth as a mug. Maybe he is the silent killer type and this is influenced because I just wrote about Chubb, but is he mean? 

Harold Landry - Kind of the in-between between Davenport and Chubb. He is not as long as Davenport nor as physical as Chubb, but otherwise looks like he could be a player. Ryan Kerrigan? 

Marquis Haynes - 32 career sacks at Ole Miss. 47.5 TFL, 12 FF...Really, really, really like this prospect and think he is going to be a steal if he goes anywhere past the second round. Consistently listed at 220, but do not be fooled! 

Dorance Armstrong Jr. - Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane? 

Hercules Mata’afa - Expected to blow up at the combine? 

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - Stood way out compared to his front 7 teammates on the Oklahoma D. Short pass rusher but no issue with those guys if they’re explosive and productive. 

Sam Hubbard - Calvin Pace? 

Matt Boesen - TCU’s quietly been a quality place for pro sports teams to find talent in the past ten years or so. Needs to add some weight but interesting frame, may end up more LB than outright pass rusher?

Kemoko Turay - Another one with a great frame to throw some NFL weight on. Moves well. Played at Rutgers. 

Nwosu - I like him but maybe more as a LB than outright pass rusher? 

This is arguably the deepest position pool in the draft so there’s definitely names not on here, I know there’s one specific name I’m forgetting from another thread, but for the most part....

Oh and the Boise LB isn’t a pass rusher but could be interesting anyway. Jets LBs can get more athletic going backwards as well as forward, and he might be the best in the draft for that. 

With Ferrell and Bryant heading back to Clemson definitely take some steam out of this class.

I think Key ends up having some ridiculous work outs and still has the highest potential.

Landry and Chubb are intriguing. Hubbard from OSU too and maybe Holland from Auburn...but that's really it.

The pass rusher are very underwhelming this year IMO

6 hours ago, JiF said:

I think Key ends up having some ridiculous work outs and still has the highest potential.

Workout’s massive for this guy - put Danielle Hunter on the track. I can’t take LSU DL seriously until the combine, they’ve constantly disapponted until Hunter (who the Jets passed on for Mauldin, boooo). 

Add in ex-LSU, SE Louisiana Sione Teuhema... I'm partial to those ex-power 5 guys. 

I'm not as high on Chubb as most of you. See lot of the same i saw in Bud Dupree who i was never that impressed with. OK, sure - but top talent... didn't see it. His career as been meh thus as well. not bad, not great. those 6'4+ 270 guys need to be really explosive at that size to more than just a 4-3DE. He's got a motor, but explosive? 

Not seeing top 10 in Chubb IMO.

21 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Workout’s massive for this guy - put Danielle Hunter on the track. I can’t take LSU DL seriously until the combine, they’ve constantly disapponted until Hunter (who the Jets passed on for Mauldin, boooo). 

Funny thing is, Hunter is one guy who looked like he always wasted a step(s) when the play started.  If anything, he was a guy I thought was more track than field.  I guess GMs agreed which is probably why he went in the 3rd.  

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Funny thing is, Hunter is one guy who looked like he always wasted a step(s) when the play started.  If anything, he was a guy I thought was more track than field.  I guess GMs agreed which is probably why he went in the 3rd.  

Yeah I found it funny that the least hyped LSU DL was the one who worked out like a stud then translated it to the NFL. Had little idea who he was that year until he worked out. Oh and I was impressed that he was such a young draftee - just 20 IIRC. 

I really hate reaching for pass rushers which usually turn out to be one trick ponies more often than not and wind up playing one down. I would much rather see the Jets pursue great linebackers rather than what people consider pure pass rushers. Because great LB er's usually become good pass rushers and even if they don't you can at least fall back on great LB play especially in a predominantly run 3-4 defense.  

If running a 4-3 defense you can go after the lighter weight ends and its more of a pure position for them to play rather than getting a 260 pound experiment and try to fit him in a 3-4. I see a lot of Jets fans crying over passing (in the draft) on some pass rushers who play in a totally different scheme than we run not realizing they would probably fail here.

My philosophy on pass rushers is simple, draft above average LB er's and they will become good pass rushers and be able to play the position .

I would much rather have a Lewis, Kuechly, Wagner,  and their 3-5 sacks per year than a one trick pony crap shoot any day of the week. The Giants Drafted LT as a LB and it just so happened they got a great pass rusher as well but even with out his pass rushing abilities LT was still the best LB I ever saw play in his first 3 years and his pass rushing numbers did not explode until year 4 when he went totally off the charts

On 1/15/2018 at 5:24 AM, SenorGato said:

TBH mostly just want to see what I think of these guys after the combine but am looking at...No order:

Arden Key - I lack faith. Danielle Hunter is the only LSU DL prospect I took seriously and only after his combine. 

Bradley Chubb - Best prospect in this draft. Reminds me of Terrell Suggs. Intense. 

Marcus Davenport - This is the non-QB prospect I am most interested in at the Senior Bowl and combine. Could DeMarcus Ware the process. Smooth as a mug. Maybe he is the silent killer type and this is influenced because I just wrote about Chubb, but is he mean? 

Harold Landry - Kind of the in-between between Davenport and Chubb. He is not as long as Davenport nor as physical as Chubb, but otherwise looks like he could be a player. Ryan Kerrigan? 

Marquis Haynes - 32 career sacks at Ole Miss. 47.5 TFL, 12 FF...Really, really, really like this prospect and think he is going to be a steal if he goes anywhere past the second round. Consistently listed at 220, but do not be fooled! 

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - Stood way out compared to his front 7 teammates on the Oklahoma D. Short pass rusher but no issue with those guys if they’re explosive and productive. 

Matt Boesen - TCU’s quietly been a quality place for pro sports teams to find talent in the past ten years or so. Needs to add some weight but interesting frame, may end up more LB than outright pass rusher?

Kemoko Turay - Another one with a great frame to throw some NFL weight on. Moves well. Played at Rutgers. 

This is arguably the deepest position pool in the draft so there’s definitely names not on here, I know there’s one specific name I’m forgetting from another thread, but for the most part....

Oh and the Boise LB isn’t a pass rusher but could be interesting anyway. Jets LBs can get more athletic going backwards as well as forward, and he might be the best in the draft for that. 

Good stuff! Like your take on Haynes. Not familiar with him but sounds like a 3rd rounder which we pick at top of 1st quarter. 

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I really hate reaching for pass rushers which usually turn out to be one trick ponies more often than not and wind up playing one down. I would much rather see the Jets pursue great linebackers rather than what people consider pure pass rushers. Because great LB er's usually become good pass rushers and even if they don't you can at least fall back on great LB play especially in a predominantly run 3-4 defense.  

If running a 4-3 defense you can go after the lighter weight ends and its more of a pure position for them to play rather than getting a 260 pound experiment and try to fit him in a 3-4. I see a lot of Jets fans crying over passing (in the draft) on some pass rushers who play in a totally different scheme than we run not realizing they would probably fail here.

My philosophy on pass rushers is simple, draft above average LB er's and they will become good pass rushers and be able to play the position .

I would much rather have a Lewis, Kuechly, Wagner,  and their 3-5 sacks per year than a one trick pony crap shoot any day of the week. The Giants Drafted LT as a LB and it just so happened they got a great pass rusher as well but even with out his pass rushing abilities LT was still the best LB I ever saw play in his first 3 years and his pass rushing numbers did not explode until year 4 when he went totally off the charts

Rashaan Evans.

On 1/17/2018 at 11:34 AM, Beerfish said:

I want to hereby BAN three words from any discussion of OLBs or small DE prospects for the New York Jets, if I see these words then so help me .......

"Set the edge."

Lol yeah that is the party line jet fans love to make for JAG OLBs who can’t sniff the qb on passing plays

On 15/01/2018 at 10:24 AM, SenorGato said:

Good post, thanks for sharing. 

Key-scares me a bit, is he Bark Mingo? Sure is athletic but not many TFL’s  last year on top of 12 sacks, wouldn’t burn a top 10 pic

Davenport-Will be the darling of the pre-draft process, if he performs as well as it looks like he could he might go very high, decent production, I’d be more than happy with him but he’s not without questions

Landry-is just one of those guys who will get sacks and produce at the best level, might not test amazing but is still a terrific athlete IMO so might drop, not sure about the Kerrigan comp. more Vic Beasley

Armstrong-brilliant last year but like Key dropped off production wise this year, was it because teams targeted him?

Kemoko Turay-that’s a new name for me but I like the cut of his jib!

Marquis Haynes-very intruiging, just always productive....agree he could be a steal

Mata’afa-Love him, just relentless and quick and agile and productive, despite going up against OG’s playing at DT

ALSO

Lorenzo Carter-think he might be being underrated, great length, relentless, solid tackler...I like him a lot but how does he fly under the radar playing for Georgia? Why not more sacks considering the talent around him?

Justin Lawler-solid, all-effort underrated player

55 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Really feel like this is the year to double dip in the 2nd round. After taking Jackson 1

Sign Ziggy Ansah and Adrian Clayborn and switch to the 4-3.  Lee can’t play ILB anyway he’s more suited to MLB.  Mac is even worse at drafting pass rushers than he is at drafting quarterbacks 

Adetarami Aruna, DE, Tulane — Aruna is strong at the point of attack and the 6-6, 265-pound Nigerian native was disruptive all week in Pasadena. He has a nice burst off the snap, is athletic and raw with great upside. While skilled as a natural pass rusher, he’s also solid against the run and was consistently in the backfield Saturday.

Jonathan Petersen, DE, San Diego — Petersen is the all-time FCS sack leader and showed why Saturday in the NFLPA Bowl. After capping his career with 18 sacks to give him 44 for his career, he dropped Allen at the Rose Bowl. Though small at 5-11, 226 pounds, Petersen had 74 1/2 tackles for loss and drew comparisons to 49ers pass rusher Elvis Dumervil.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-watch-east-west-shrine-nflpa-bowl-evaluations/1gg97hssfdy1j1h0bgcx5zdlr2

Chad Thomas was invited to the Senior Bowl after the Shrine game 

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Really like Davenport. Chubb is the best one but his speed concerns me. I’m worried he runs closer to the 4.6 - 4.7 range.

That’s exactly what happened with Terrell Suggs and he dropped enough that Baltimore was able to draft him. 

13 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

That’s exactly what happened with Terrell Suggs and he dropped enough that Baltimore was able to draft him. 

That’s why Terrell Suggs plays DE in the 3-4 instead of OLB. If we could sign Demarcus Lawrence  and pair him with Leonard Williams and then draft a OLB ..such as Chubb or Davenport...this Defense would be to die for.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

That’s why Terrell Suggs plays DE in the 3-4 instead of OLB. If we could sign Demarcus Lawrence  and pair him with Leonard Williams and then draft a OLB ..such as Chubb or Davenport...this Defense would be to die for.

It would of be a good start after we draft a QB in rd 1, sign a FA CB, sign a FA nickel, sign a FA nose tackle, draft a relentless tackling machine MLB and oh yea get a safety that can actually come close tomorrow making interceptions. 

On 1/15/2018 at 11:31 AM, JiF said:

With Ferrell and Bryant heading back to Clemson definitely take some steam out of this class.

Landry and Chubb are intriguing. Hubbard from OSU too and maybe Holland from Auburn...but that's really it.

The pass rusher are very underwhelming this year IMO

I think it was Walter Football that had us taking Ferrell at #6 in the last mock they did before these guys decided to go back to school. And I was actually ok with it.:mellow:

• 2 months later...

Wake Forest pass rusher Duke Ejiofor on the mend, to visit Patriots

By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle

April 5, 2018

Wake Forest pass rusher Duke Ejiofor is recovering well from labrum surgery on his right shoulder and expects to be medically cleared by late July or early August.

The 6-4, 275-pound former Alief Taylor standout visits the New England Patriots on Monday. He will attend the medical recheck in Indianapolis on April 12. He's drawing middle-round grades primarily.

"I'm feeling good," Ejiofor said. "My shoulder is way ahead of schedule. I'm looking to be ready by training camp.  It was all wear and tear and it got worse. It was definitely frustrating getting surgery, but teams are glad that I got it out of the way and so am I."

Ejiofor is a former Chronicle top 100 players selection who had 47 tackles, 15 for losses, eight sacks and six pass breakups as a senior. The 6-4, 275-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds with a 39-inch vertical leap in high school.

He was offered scholarships to the University of Houston, Rice, Kansas, and TCU 

"The NFL will get a solid pass rusher who can rush inside and outside," Ejiofor said. "I will attack the edge and make plays. Playing in the ACC against awesome competition got me ready. I can't wait to get to the NFL."

On 1/17/2018 at 9:03 AM, BigO said:

Good stuff! Like your take on Haynes. Not familiar with him but sounds like a 3rd rounder which we pick at top of 1st quarter. 

I'm on board...Interesting.

Scouts like Haynes' natural edge-rush ability and think he could be a contributor as a DPR. Teams were disappointed in his effort at times during 2017, and there was talk around Ole Miss that an agent got to Haynes and pushed on him not to get hurt. Thus, Haynes took his foot off the pedal in a lot of games, which resulted in him not looking good. Sources are valuing Haynes for the third day of the 2018 NFL Draft. 

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OLB3-4.php#q4A6UMCvqXKHREkK.99

Keep an eye out on Jake....He's Josh Martin's brother seems like a potential DPR...6’3”  240  4.6 40 

68.5 explosion#   6.90 3 cone...Day 3 pick

Jacob Martin, EDGE, Temple

There wasn't much in the production column for Martin over his first three seasons at Temple, but he broke through in 2017, recording 11.5 tackles for loss, including eight sacks. Martin has similar size and testing numbers to former Owl and 2017 first-round pick Haason Reddick. Martin plays with good upfield burst as a rusher and has a better rush plan than expected. He's an urgent player who might have the ability to transition into a 4-3 linebacker role with the potential to rush off the edge in sub packages.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000925315/article/2018-nfl-draft-lsu-wr-fsu-rb-among-diamond so-in-the-rough

FYI - Jake is the brother of Josh Martin, a five-year NFL veteran who started nine games at linebacker for the Jets in 2017. Jake's dream of joining his brother in the league became closer to a reality last fall, as he earned second-team All-American Athletic Conference honors with 39 tackles, 11 for loss, and eight sacks in 12 games. He had been a reserve all but one game the previous three years, recording 18 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 2016 after combining for 18 in 2014 (13, 1.5 for loss) and 2015 (five, 2.5 for loss, sack).

Martin is a tough, smart edge defender with the willingness to do whatever is asked of him. Despite playing at under 240 pounds, Martin has lined up as a defensive end and rushed from a nose-guard spot in some sub-package situations. He's undersized to be a full-time 3-4 outside linebacker on run downs, but he's got the upfield speed to warrant consideration as a sub-package rusher. Martin's size and testing numbers are close enough to former teammate's, Haason Reddick, that he might be able to transition into a role as a backup inside linebacker. 

Kemoko Turay (@Kturay_58)

4/11/18, 7:54 PM

Private pro day was great I am happy I got done with it. Appreciate rutgers for sending them out . My result was good ??3 cone drills 6.84
BJ 9’11
High jump 34 
Shuttle 4.24 @RUAthletics

• 2 weeks later...

NFL execs, scouts on Oklahoma standout Ogbonnia Okoronkwo @OgboOkoronkwo

NFL personnel director: "Double-O, good pass rusher, has the knack."
NFL vice president of personnel: "Good player that will get drafted fairly high. Tough kid, finishes off plays. I like his attitude, he's relentless. He's got heavy hands and quick feet. He beats up offensive linemen off the edge.
NFL area scout: "Good kid, strictly a speed rusher off the edge. Has a chance as a situational guy."
NFL general manager: "Third or fourth round."

Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL)

4/25/18, 3:22 PM

NFL execs, scouts on Oklahoma standout Ogbonnia Okoronkwo @OgboOkoronkwo

Read: tl.gd/n_1sqgv5f

On 4/8/2018 at 5:44 PM, C Mart said:

Keep an eye out on Jake....He's Josh Martin's brother seems like a potential DPR...6’3”  240  4.6 40 

68.5 explosion#   6.90 3 cone...Day 3 pick

Jacob Martin, EDGE, Temple

There wasn't much in the production column for Martin over his first three seasons at Temple, but he broke through in 2017, recording 11.5 tackles for loss, including eight sacks. Martin has similar size and testing numbers to former Owl and 2017 first-round pick Haason Reddick. Martin plays with good upfield burst as a rusher and has a better rush plan than expected. He's an urgent player who might have the ability to transition into a 4-3 linebacker role with the potential to rush off the edge in sub packages.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000925315/article/2018-nfl-draft-lsu-wr-fsu-rb-among-diamond so-in-the-rough

FYI - Jake is the brother of Josh Martin, a five-year NFL veteran who started nine games at linebacker for the Jets in 2017. Jake's dream of joining his brother in the league became closer to a reality last fall, as he earned second-team All-American Athletic Conference honors with 39 tackles, 11 for loss, and eight sacks in 12 games. He had been a reserve all but one game the previous three years, recording 18 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 2016 after combining for 18 in 2014 (13, 1.5 for loss) and 2015 (five, 2.5 for loss, sack).

Martin is a tough, smart edge defender with the willingness to do whatever is asked of him. Despite playing at under 240 pounds, Martin has lined up as a defensive end and rushed from a nose-guard spot in some sub-package situations. He's undersized to be a full-time 3-4 outside linebacker on run downs, but he's got the upfield speed to warrant consideration as a sub-package rusher. Martin's size and testing numbers are close enough to former teammate's, Haason Reddick, that he might be able to transition into a role as a backup inside linebacker. 

was hoping Jets would get him. guess they didn't rate him as high

By: Andy Patton | April 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Amidst the whirlwind surrounding the Seattle Seahawks’ selection of Shaquem Griffin, the team added another rookie who could see some time as a linebacker.

Jacob Martin, Seattle’s sixth-rounder out of Temple University, is being viewed by coach Pete Carroll as a LEO, which is a hybrid between a defensive end and an outside linebacker.

“He’s all about what we are,” Carroll said in his post-draft press conference. “He was a fit guy for us. [He’s] a little bit undersized as a rusher. He’s kind of got a linebacker body. He runs 4.6 and just has a great motor so we’ll find a spot for him.”

Carroll also said Martin will be a special teams contributor, a spot that will allow him to use some of that size and speed to wreak havoc on opponents.

Martin gives Seattle more depth on the defensive side of the ball. Along with Griffin and Rasheem Green, who was selected in the third round, the Seahawks now have three more players to add to the mix for snaps on the defensive front.

Martin played in Temple’s conference title game with a broken foot, a feat that Carroll said was “right in line with his mentality.”

Archived