Bilal Powell heading into his age 30 season...

SenorGato

at close to $5 million. Stay or go? 

I vote easy go. As a #2 RB he is neither effective as a runner (FO’s 55th ranked RB in 2017) or pass catcher (43rd). His career highs came in 2016 as their 8th rusher and 20th best pass catcher, but otherwise he’s never approached that. 2017 is arguably a case of him coming back to Earth after that career year.

Like ASJ this is *exactly* the kind of player that can be easily replaced by a late round draft pick. Hell, McGuire next year could probably be roughly what Powell has been in his career for as much as 1/5 the cost IIRC, that’s if they want to keep standards so low at the position. 

Cutting him adds $4 million to the cap. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

at close to $5 million. Stay or go? 

I vote easy go. As a #2 RB he is neither effective as a runner (FO’s 55th ranked RB in 2017) or pass catcher (43rd). His career highs came in 2016 as their 8th rusher and 20th best pass catcher, but otherwise he’s never approached that. 2017 is arguably a case of him coming back to Earth after that career year.

Like ASJ this is *exactly* the kind of player that can be easily replaced by a late round draft pick. Hell, McGuire next year could probably be roughly what Powell has been in his career for as much as 1/5 the cost IIRC, that’s if they want to keep standards so low at the position. 

Difference is he doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires. Highest carries per season is 177

I think he has been under utilized a bit due to forte and has performed well.  He can also both run and catch the ball.  Unless you can point to a better use of that money then I'd rather keep him and ditch Forte.  When we dump Mo wilk and perhaps a few others we will have lots of cap space and if we did dump him we would just go out and sign some other 30 yer ld vet back for close to the same price.

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s not an every down back and $5 mill is a bit much for that, but we’re not exactly strapped for cap space.

This is a horrible mentality and exactly the one that can ruin a great cap situation. Bad players on bloated salaries being kept when they can be cut for significant savings and minimal dead money is horrible cap management 101. 

This is a horrible mentality and exactly the one that can ruin a great cap situation. Bad players on bloated salaries being kept when they can be cut for significant savings and minimal dead money is horrible cap management 101. 

How is Powell a “bad” player on a “bloated” salary?

He’s a well rounded, shifty back who ideally should get 10-15 touches a game.

Slightly overpaid next year? Sure, but it’s nothing that’s going to even remotely screw us in the short or longterm.

He won't be cut right away, if we feel we have a viable option to replace him that's when he'll be cut. I think we are already moving on from Forte and we likely draft a RB early this year so if it comes down to paying a FA X amount of money or keeping Powell for $4.8M then we may opt to keep Powell. He know's the offense, has relatively low mileage and ranks 9th in YPC among backs with at least 150 carries.

I think Powell is a solid complete back.  He'd be great to pair with a rookie burner/game breaker type.  But they've failed to use him properly since the day they drafted him, so I would totally love to see them let him go and find success elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

How is Powell a “bad” player on a “bloated” salary?

It’s spelled out in the OP:

he is neither effective as a runner (FO’s 55th ranked RB in 2017) or pass catcher (43rd). His career highs came in 2016 as their 8th rusher and 20th best pass catcher, but otherwise he’s never approached that. 2017 is arguably a case of him coming back to Earth after that career year.

If they get 2016 Powell and the team is competitive it’s probably possible to have a discussion about 4.8+ million being a reasonable enough overpay. Any other year of his career and it becomes a massive overpay.  

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He shouldn’t have been resigned in the first place.

Eh, for all the reasons they’re saying to keep him in 2018 it made enough sense. Now it seems pretty obvious that it’s time to let go. 

OTOH if that resigning led to his popularity on the board that [shockingly] refuses to look at him objectively now...

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I’m starting to believe many of you guys have Stockholm Syndrome. ASJ, Powell, this Neil O’Donnell guy...

Think we have enough money to where keeping Powell on his low salary would affect our cap by 0.001% ..he still have some tree and he makes plays. Valuable complimentary HB if you ask me

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Eh, for all the reasons they’re saying to keep him in 2018 it made enough sense. Now it seems pretty obvious that it’s time to let go. 

OTOH if that resigning led to his popularity on the board that [shockingly] refuses to look at him objectively now...

I don’t really give a flying rats assh0le what we do with him.

If he stays, great. If we move on, whatever.

But you’re acting like the guy produces nothing when on the field and is one of the highest paid RB’s in the league.

I’m not worried about a measly $4.8 million for a solid situational back when we’re going to have upwards of $100 million to play with in 2 months.

He can run inside and out, catch the ball out of the backfield, and is excellent in pass pro.

Not a total slouch like you’re making him out to be.

On top of Stockholm Syndrome, I don’t think this board as a whole fully appreciates the Jets’ cap situation and the potential it has to completely facelift this franchise. It’s literally the only silver lining for this organization in almost a decade and so many want to piss it away.

Think about what you guys are saying. A 30 YO RB whose work has all come as the backup RB on terrible teams, compiling junk yards most of the time, and has resulted in one strong year out of 7 should get $5 million because he *might* get better. Who *truly* buys this stuff? 

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

He won't be cut right away, if we feel we have a viable option to replace him that's when he'll be cut. I think we are already moving on from Forte and we likely draft a RB early this year so if it comes down to paying a FA X amount of money or keeping Powell for $4.8M then we may opt to keep Powell. He know's the offense, has relatively low mileage and ranks 9th in YPC among backs with at least 150 carries.

+1, he won't be cut right away, nor should he be cut right away.

There are no bonuses due to Powell, and they're not going to run out of cap space before the draft. When we're in that kind of position, keeping options open as we enter the draft is more important. Gives the team some leverage in FA, and stops them from reaching badly in the draft to fill a hole (when we already have plenty). 

Plus there's the other reality, which is that this isn't a black & white decision. Macc could - and very well might - demand a pay cut in exchange for guaranteeing the season, and Powell would have to take it. No one's paying him 1 yr $4m guaranteed as a 30 year-old FA (if he's cut) and he knows it. He only got 2 years guaranteed at that rate - from the Jets - when he was a good 2 years younger.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Think we have enough money to where keeping Powell on his low salary would affect our cap by 0.001% ..he still have some tree and he makes plays. Valuable complimentary HB if you ask me

$5 million dollars is significantly higher than .001% of the cap. Again this kind of lacksidasical thinking is what can ruin this franchise’s out, a beautiful cap situation, from being the SOJs. 

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Who cares when he is cut? The bottom line is that he should be cut. This is an extremely expendable player that opens up a signficiant amount of money to go towards better players. There’s nothing Powell brings on the field that a mid-late round RB can’t or maaaaaaybe even McGuire. 

Tough call. He’s one of our better offensive players to be honest. Trade bait for an extra 6th? Salary prohibitive I’m sure.

Also, I am not a huge believer in McGuire.

This is again why I’d love to trade down. Pick up that extra second and third. Take a RB.

2nd rd RB + McGuire + Langford + Random Fa or late round pick.

8 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Who cares when he is cut? The bottom line is this is an extremely expendable player to save a signficiant amount of money that can go towards better players even an extremely rare one like Le’veon Bell. 

Expendable sure but that doesn't really mean you need to cut him

1) Is he preventing us from signing someone?

2) Is he preventing us from drafting someone?

3) Is he an issue in the locker room? 

4) Is he a bad player?

5) Is his salary guaranteed if he is not cut by a certain date?

If the answer is yes to one of these questions then by all means cut him.

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

But you’re acting like the guy produces nothing when on the field and is one of the highest paid RB’s in the league.

I’m not worried about a measly $4.8 million for a solid situational back when we’re going to have upwards of $100 million to play with in 2 months.

He can run inside and out, catch the ball out of the backfield, and is excellent in pass pro.

Not a total slouch like you’re making him out to be.

No, I’ m acting like he’s a below average RB making signficiantly more than an average RB. 

And again common sense says that paying below average players above average salaries just because you can is piss poor cap management. You can have all the money in the world but if you spend it poorly then you’re not better off for it in the short or long run. 

No, I’ m acting like he’s a below average RB making signficiantly more than an average RB. 

And again common sense says that paying below average players above average salaries just because you can is piss poor cap management. You can have all the money in the world but if you spend it poorly then you’re not better off for it in the short or long run. 

You're upset about $4.8M for a RB who is not preventing us from making any offseason moves but you want to Sign Cousins to +$28M and draft a QB at #6 and complain about piss poor cap management.

Theoretically, a team (that knows what they're doing) should be able to find a 3rd rounder who can match Bilal Powell's production at 1/5th of the cost.

A rookie will come in and be paid $800k/year compared to Bilal's $5mm, and hopefully provide some youth, speed, and upside, while being locked up long-term.

Just now, BrickTamland said:

Tough call. He’s one of our better offensive players to be honest. Trade bait for an extra 6th? Salary prohibitive I’m sure.

Also, I am not a huge believer in McGuire.

This is again why I’d love to trade down. Pick up that extra second and third. Take a RB.

2nd rd RB + McGuire + Langford + Random Fa or late round pick.

No one's surrendering a draft pick for a contract they wouldn't even offer him as a FA.

Thing with McGuire is, while he's younger and it's a very young man's position, I don't know that he's as well rounded a player. If they plan on competing, they might want to keep Powell around as a 3rd down back or spot-starter (though at a reduced rate), or one who could split carries with McGuire should a new acquisition go down. I don't know how effective McGuire is at picking up blitzes either, since he mostly seemed to get handoffs then leave the field, so it's good to have a veteran if they have reasons to be concerned about it. 

Depends what they do. If they decide to fill the position in the draft I could see them hanging onto him at about $2-2.5m. If they bring in another veteran to be the starter then it becomes hard to justify unless they want to cut bait with McGuire already.

Archived