Bilal Powell heading into his age 30 season...

SenorGato

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You only play one QB at a time so it stands to reason that one would be sitting on the bench.

Haaaaaa you know where you slipped up. What happened to the 5 years? 

They don’t need Powell on the roster until they replace him. In fact they’re best off doing it early to maximize FA spending. The worst case scenario is they bring him back at a lower salary, but my guess is they somehow manage to fill the backup RB position without going back. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But yet he always seems to be dinged up.

I found that funny too.

————

Another thing I find funny...that JN pretzel logic at work:

Largely the same crowd telling me Powell is a productive, high quality, dual threat 30 YO RB with upside for a measly ~$5 million are the same ones who say 26 YO Le’veon Bell is for sure a terrible buy because his salary will be high. Never ceases to stun me...

18 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Haaaaaa you know where you slipped up. What happened to the 5 years? 

A first round pick signs a 4 year deal with a team option for a 5th year. Cousins is looking for a LTD, what amount of years would you consider a LTD? 5 seems like a reasonable number to me so yes 5 years of one of those players riding the bench.

20 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

They don’t need Powell on the roster until they replace him. In fact they’re best off doing it early to maximize FA spending. The worst case scenario is they bring him back at a lower salary, but my guess is they somehow manage to fill the backup RB position without going back. 

If Powell's contract is going to limit us in FA then yes he will be cut but with $80M in cap prior to obvious cuts I don't foresee him needing to be cut in order to sign any players.

14 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

A first round pick signs a 4 year deal with a team option for a 5th year. Cousins is looking for a LTD, what amount of years would you consider a LTD? 5 seems like a reasonable number to me so yes 5 years of one of those players riding the bench.

If Powell's contract is going to limit us in FA then yes he will be cut but with $80M in cap prior to obvious cuts I don't foresee him needing to be cut in order to sign any players.

Your first paragraphs simoultaneously doesn’t explain why my plan is to sit anyone for 5 years and for the millionth time ignores real NFL contract structures over the sensationalist grab at Cousins getting all these years up garaunteed up front.

Powell is one of those obvious cuts. No one pays their backup RB that kind of money ever, particularly a RB who isn’t even an outright good player. 

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

I like powell but it's time to move on. he's become a nice player over the last couple seasons, showing more explosiveness but there's a lot of good prospects in this draft class and it seems like a good time to get younger

You think mac is going to actually draft 1 of them ? Lol. Probably is we have 1,000 holes, and 4-5 quality picks. 

28 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Some morons only look at age. Thomas Jones was over 30 when he rushed over 1,000 yards back to back seasons

Jones, the former 7th overall pick so an insanely better prospect than Powell ever was, also rushed for 1000+ yards at ages 26, 27, 28, and 29.

19 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Jones, the former 7th overall pick so an insanely better prospect than Powell ever was, also rushed for 1000+ yards at ages 26, 27, 28, and 29.

Lol ?. Well Powell was what a 4th rounder? He has easily played better than what you expect to get out of a 4th round rb. I don’t know why the moron Bowles didn’t run him more, instead of leaning on old hurt forte so much 

What should be done:

1) Cut Forte

2) Draft  a RB with one of our four picks in the first 3 rounds

3) Offer Powell an extension for 2 additional years that will lower his cap hit to $3M per season to server as the 1B/2 RB

What Mac will do:

1) Keep Forte

2) Sign Gore or Jeremy Hill

3) Keep Powell at his current 2018 salary

4) Ignore the RB position in the draft

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think he has been under utilized a bit due to forte and has performed well.  He can also both run and catch the ball.  Unless you can point to a better use of that money then I'd rather keep him and ditch Forte.  When we dump Mo wilk and perhaps a few others we will have lots of cap space and if we did dump him we would just go out and sign some other 30 yer ld vet back for close to the same price.

First off, I like Powell.  He has done well with his role.

The two things I wonder:

1. Even though he has only been (really) a back-up, he will be on the wrong side of thirty.  I don't care how little he has been used, that is the wrong number for a running back.

2. Is he more Lamont Jordan, who once going off to greener pastures never was a true starting back.

Not sure.  I would like to see another RB drafted, and if there was a choice between keeping Powell or Forte, well....

9 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

What should be done:

1) Cut Forte

2) Draft  a RB with one of our four picks in the first 3 rounds

3) Offer Powell an extension for 2 additional years that will lower his cap hit to $3M per season to server as the 1B/2 RB

What Mac will do:

1) Keep Forte

2) Sign Gore or Jeremy Hill

3) Keep Powell at his current 2018 salary

4) Ignore the RB position in the draft

What should be done:

- Cut Forte, Powell, and McGuire

- Use Bell and the deepest RB class in years to completely revamp and modernize the position for the org 

9 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

if Powell is getting $5m maybe the Jets can meet in the middle with ASJ

Bilal Powell or ASJ - even money or is one worth much more?

Using Bilal Powell’s bloated salary to bid against themselves on ASJ? Don’t get me wrong that would be it’s own special kind of glorious but as far as building a good football team worth my hard earned money and time to watch...

Fun fact:

I grew up with three other Jets fans. Last January I texted that if the Jets drafted Watson the home opener was on me (I’m broke but still!)...

9 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

What should be done:

- Use Bell and the deepest RB class in years to completely revamp and modernize the position for the org 

assume this plan includes cutting ASJ :)

I night keep McGuire, his contract is only; $597,129 in 2018, $687,129 in 2019 and $777,129 in 2020.

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

assume this plan includes cutting ASJ :)

I night keep McGuire', his contract is only; $597,129 in 2018, $687,129 in 2019 and $777,129 in 2020.

Yeah I wouldn’t whine too much about McGuire if they joined the 21st century at RB1 and RB2. 

13 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

What should be done:

Oh so you want to use multiple picks and a big contract on a dime a dozen position. Perfect. 

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Using Bilal Powell’s bloated salary to bid against themselves on ASJ? Don’t get me wrong that would be it’s own special kind of glorious but as far as building a good football team worth my hard earned money and time to watch...

LOL - good point, guess I was just looking at it from the ASJ standpoint since I thought he was crazy turning down that contract offer and asking $6m per but if Powell is getting $5m...

19 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh so you want to use multiple picks and a big contract on a dime a dozen position. Perfect. 

Sure and you want to give a bad 30 YO backup at the same dime a dozen position starter money solely to avoied upgrading. My guess is the group with Bell is insanely more productive and impactful. 

Same crowd that would trash Bowles for his loyalty to players should Powell get that salary and go on to be the non-factor he has been for 7 years already. Saaaaaame one 

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Sure and you want to give a bad 30 YO backup at the same dime a dozen position starter money solely to avoied upgrading. My guess is the group with Bell is insanely more productive and impactful. 

Same crowd that would trash Bowles for his loyalty to players should Powell get that salary and go on to be the non-factor he has been for 7 years already. Saaaaaame one 

I never said Powell should get that salary. And I never said they should avoid upgrading. The Jets have holes at many positions and they need to be smart and economical with their draft capital and the money they have under the cap. I’m just saying when you have a solid player at a position that needs to be upgraded already, why create another hole? You can keep Powell and lower his salary you know. If he’s not for it, then you explore other options. Cutting a guy just to cut a guy is foolish. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I never said Powell should get that salary. And I never said they should avoid upgrading. The Jets have holes at many positions and they need to be smart and economical with their draft capital and the money they have under the cap. I’m just saying when you have a solid player at a position that needs to be upgraded already, why create another hole? You can keep Powell and lower his salary you know. If he’s not for it, then you explore other options. Cutting a guy just to cut a guy is foolish. 

I completely agree, hence the stance on Powell. Snart and economical can be aggressive too and it definitely doesn’t mean give the status quo a raise.

“Solid player” does not describe Powell beyond him not being a gas, liquid, or whatever the other one/s is/are player. It’s not creating another hole so much as gaining $4 million and moving on from a backup player who mostly collects junk yards in losses anyway, addition by subtraction. If things are so bad at the end of the offseason then sure - bring him back for way less than $4.8 million, but that is not a hard or expensive player to replace. 

Dude will be 30. Where does the time go? In football years he’s like 26.  Yes he’s been injured here and there but has not been utilized properly when healthy.  Only the Jets would let a guy whose ultra effective sit on the bench more than half the season. 2 years 7 million - get it done bean head SMH ??‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

What should be done:

That's a terrible plan.

Why would they cut all three RB's and make life harder for themselves in free agency and the draft? What if they don't get Bell? what if they miss out on other talents in the draft because they forced their own hands into having to draft a couple of running backs in it?

7 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

That's a terrible plan.

Why would they cut all three RB's and make life harder for themselves in free agency and the draft? What if they don't get Bell? what if they miss out on other talents in the draft because they forced their own hands into having to draft a couple of running backs in it?

My guess is cuz they’re better

11 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

That's a terrible plan.

This would be the case if we were talking good players. The Jets’ current trio of RBs are three guys that if cut tonight would still be available during the summer. They’re not making this franchise for sure and the ~$10 million saved by cutting them can continue to move the margins on landing good players like Bell. 

11 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This would be the case if we were talking good players. The Jets’ current trio of RBs are three guys that if cut tonight would still be available during the summer. They’re not making this franchise for sure and the ~$10 million saved by cutting them can continue to move the margins on landing good players like Bell. 

No RB is worth that kind of money he wants. RB is the most fragile position on football. Bell is a great player but not even the Steelers will bend or any other team in the NFL will either. You dreaming. 

Mac shouldn't make his life harder by putting himself into a position of desperation for no reason.

Powell's continued employment on the Jets doesn't preclude them from upgrading the running back position on any front. At worst you've got a good veteran Running back on a deal that wont kill you in case you miss out on any other better talents.

Cutting him early means you don't have a contingency plan just in case anything you wanted to happen in the draft or free agency goes wrong. 

If you have three running backs on roster that are better than he is by summer's end then cut him. But not a moment sooner.

1 minute ago, BigO said:

No RB is worth that kind of money he wants. RB is the most fragile position on football. Bell is a great player but not even the Steelers will bend or any other team in the NFL will either. You dreaming. 

The Steelers, if they had any money to spend, are willing to give him ~$29 million between ‘17 and ‘18. Soooo I’m going to ignore that JNmath that sees value and upside in Bilal Powell at $5 million but doom for Le’veon at $18 million. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

The Steelers, if they had any money to spend, are willing to give him ~$29 million between ‘17 and ‘18. Soooo I’m going to ignore that JNmath that sees value and upside in Bilal Powell at $5 million but doom for Le’veon at $18 million. 

Never happens. You bugging 

15 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Mac shouldn't make his life harder by putting himself into a position of desperation for no reason.

That’s not what he’s doing by cutting the Jets’ multiple 30+ $4 million+ RBs or even all three. The position doesn’t suddenly become an impossible to fill hole because the husk of Matt Forte and Bill Powell got cut. 

Also why would cutting him early mean there’s no plan? If anything it would be a promising indicator these guys have pulled their heads out of their asses and will really clean house on offense. 

Archived