Would you be mad?

Patriot Killa

6. New York Jets

6 OF 32

94f2d54714e08ca0bead486137dc7767_crop_ex
Otto Kitsinger/Associated Press

The Pick: QB Josh Allen, Wyoming

Josh McCown did a good job in 2017, but he is truly a Band-Aid solution at quarterback if he returns for 2018. It's painfully clear that neither Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg is the New York Jets' quarterback of the future here. Unless the front office is aggressive (and they'll have around $80 million in projected cap space, per Spotrac) and gets Kirk Cousins, there will be a mandate to draft a quarterback.

With Rosen and Darnold off the board, the next-best quarterback is Josh Allen. You'll hear in the next four months about how much potential he has, but the downside is that he is incredibly raw. He is a better prospect than Hackenberg was in 2016 (he's a much better athlete and has better instincts), but fans will undoubtedly be afraid of another developmental quarterback.

The upside is that if the Jets hit, Allen could be a Cam Newton- or Ben Roethlisberger-type starter.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

6. New York Jets

6 OF 32

94f2d54714e08ca0bead486137dc7767_crop_ex
    Otto Kitsinger/Associated Press

The Pick: QB Josh Allen, Wyoming

Josh McCown did a good job in 2017, but he is truly a Band-Aid solution at quarterback if he returns for 2018. It's painfully clear that neither Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg is the New York Jets' quarterback of the future here. Unless the front office is aggressive (and they'll have around $80 million in projected cap space, per Spotrac) and gets Kirk Cousins, there will be a mandate to draft a quarterback.

With Rosen and Darnold off the board, the next-best quarterback is Josh Allen. You'll hear in the next four months about how much potential he has, but the downside is that he is incredibly raw. He is a better prospect than Hackenberg was in 2016 (he's a much better athlete and has better instincts), but fans will undoubtedly be afraid of another developmental quarterback.

The upside is that if the Jets hit, Allen could be a Cam Newton- or Ben Roethlisberger-type starter.

No....a million and one times.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What are you suggesting??? ?

Blue Chip OL or Edge Rusher if we have Kirk Cousins. 

Move up for QB from #6 if we don’t have cousins.

trust me, in no way do i want Smith at 6 lol.. I just wanted to see where people stand on this guy as a prospect. I probably could of worded it better as well. 

Kinda 

I have no idea how the top prospects will shake out but the focus has to be the hierarchy of football needs 

Get the QB 

Protect the QB 

Rush the QB 

So if cousins is signed, I want o-line or pass rusher 

If the pass rusher (Williams?) is also signed and no o-lineman is worth the slot  then I want a corner 

I think that notre dame guard will fly up draft boards, he might be a serious consideration 

I am a graduate of the University of Georgia.  I have probably watched just about every game the kid has played the last 3 seasons.  I have seen Roquan Smith take over games from the LB position this year unlike I ever recall seeing from a college LBer who does not rush the passer.  There is probably not a bigger Roquan Smith fan on this site than me.

I would be enraged if we took him at 6.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Kinda 

I have no idea how the top prospects will shake out but the focus has to be the hierarchy of football needs 

Get the QB 

Protect the QB 

Rush the QB 

So if cousins is signed, I want o-line or pass rusher 

If the pass rusher (Williams?) is also signed and no o-lineman is worth the slot  then I want a corner 

I think that notre dame guard will fly up draft boards, he might be a serious consideration 

He’s suppose to be better than Zack Martin

Round 7: Jaylen Samuels, FB, N.C. State

You can afford some gambles this late in the draft. The Jets used converted defensive end Lawrence Thomas at fullback last year. It was a cool story, but Thomas didn't bring much to the offense. Samuels is a bit of a hybrid tight end/H-back. John Morton can find some interesting ways to use him. 

Round 6: Michael Hill, DL, Ohio State

This is another chance pick for the Jets. Hill has a ton of talent, but off-field demons kept him off the field his final season at Ohio State. The Jets have taken chances on players before (Erin Henderson, Austin Seferian-Jenkins). Maybe they think Hill is a low-risk, potentially high-reward player? Assuming the Jets cut Muhammad Wilkerson (they will), they'll need some help at defensive end. 

Round 5: Christopher Herndon, TE, Miami

There's no guarantee Austin Seferian-Jenkins returns to the Jets next year. If another team signs him away in free agency, the Jets will need a replacement. Herndon, who some say is a better prospect than David Njoku, would be a good fit in the fifth round. 

Round 4: Tony Brown, CB, Alabama

Brown is a physical, press-man cornerback. Even if the Jets re-sign Morris Claiborne, and make a run at free-agent-to-be Trumaine Johnson, they'll need another. Juston Burris hasn't shown much, and the Jets can't rely on Derrick Jones or Jeremy Clark. Brown is good value in the fourth. 

Round 3: Bryce Love, RB, Stanford

There's no guarantee Bryce Love is there in the third round, but he was in this simulation. He'd be a tremendous get for a Jets team looking for a game-changing back. Love ran for 2,118 yards this year, including 19 touchdowns, last season. 

Round 2: Dorance Armstrong Jr., OLB, Kansas

Ignore Armstrong's lackluster stats this season. His two sacks and 9.5 tackles for a loss will scare some teams off. The Jets should hope that's the case, because the outside linebacker's ceiling is through the roof. 

Armstrong is an athletic freak, and brings so much speed around the edge. He showed what he can do when surrounded with talent. In 2016, he had 20 tackles for a loss and 10 sacks. At 6-4 and 246 pounds, he's tailor made to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. 

He'd likely have to be a rotational player his first year, but linebackers coach Kevin Greene could work wonders with him. 

Round 2: Billy Price, C, Ohio State

Wesley Johnson didn't get the job done this year. The Jets desperately need a staple in the middle of their offensive line, and Price is the best at the position in the draft. 

Round 1: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

If the Browns love Josh Allen as much as some think they do, the No. 1 pick could be up for grabs. I'm sure the Jets would make a run, and try to draft UCLA's Josh Rosen. 

But, without trades in this mock, the Jets end up with Allen, arguably the third-best quarterback in the draft. He needs some time to develop, which likely means Josh McCown is brought back on a one-year deal. 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

If Kirk Cousins is signed and there isn’t a need for QB ..would you be mad if we gave up on Darron Lee and drafted Roquan Smith at 6? He just declared for the draft. This is a question I am not suggesting anything.

I think this idea is terrific and also we should look ahead to what draft eligible strong safeties are gearing up for 2019 baby 

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

If Kirk Cousins is signed and there isn’t a need for QB ..would you be mad if we gave up on Darron Lee and drafted Roquan Smith at 6? He just declared for the draft. This is a question I am not suggesting anything.

No. If you draft a player in first round you can’t give up on him that easy. Especially when you have a million other holes you have yet to even attempt to address. This is the yr of offense, 1st 3 picks should be O

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'd like to have Cousins and Saquon Barkley, quite honestly.

Cousins with a running game is going to be a top-10 QB. I also think he's the type of guy whose best football is still in front of him. 

4 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Classic troll post - almost SAR I esk

now if you could find a FB or K to consider at #6 assuming the Jets sign every FA, that would really fire some people up :)

Fair warning if you ever compare me to that guy again .. I’ll cut you. Real talk lol.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I'd like to have Cousins and Saquon Barkley, quite honestly.

Cousins with a running game is going to be a top-10 QB. I also think he's the type of guy whose best football is still in front of him. 

Even over value in the 2nd with Sony Michel or Bryce Love? Ballsy..I like it.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Even over value in the 2nd with Sony Michel or Bryce Love? Ballsy..I like it.

Yea, it flies in the face of what I always rant about - positional value - but talent is talent. Barkley is probably the best player in this draft.

All of this said, I don't start really looking into college prospects until after the SB. So I'll reserve the right to revisit. :)

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hell, i’d be mad too....

Darron Lee is a joke though. Does anyone have a sleeper in the 3-5 rounds who can take a startering spot at the position?

Check out Burks from Vandy. I love the guys size and he is an up and comer. Could go anywhere from late second to early Fourth.

I am a graduate of the University of Georgia.  I have probably watched just about every game the kid has played the last 3 seasons.  I have seen Roquan Smith take over games from the LB position this year unlike I ever recall seeing from a college LBer who does not rush the passer.  There is probably not a bigger Roquan Smith fan on this site than me.
      I would be enraged if we took him at 6.

I love this guy. But I would go o line before LB at the 6th pick. We need another Brick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

How about if we draft Minkah Fitzpatrick with our 1st rounder and then use both 2nd rounders to trade back up to get roquan smith!

That would be Ultimate SOJ, with Macc and Bowles telling everyone in the Presser they where the BAP picks.

Meanwhile Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen, all turn out to be franchise QB's, in a better than 83 QB draft.

19 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

tumblr_mbg435o2Tr1qcl5zoo1_500.gif

Archived