Interesting tidbits by Pauline on Cousins and Hack

Dinamite

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dinamite said:

http://draftanalyst.com/shrine-game-monday-night-notes

Tony Pauline reports from the shrine game practices and has some interesting things to say about Cousins suitors and the idea that Hack is done and could be traded for a conditional pick.

A 7th round pick for hackenberg ? Lol. Maybe if they actually let him play a game and he did decent, could have maybe tried for a 5th. 

6 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

I am surprised though, if there is a possibility of getting ANY sort of compensation back in return for him.

That possibility wouldn’t exist if he had suited up in week-17 and shown the league what he looks like in live game action. 

From the same site:

Gregory Senat/T/Wagner: Senat looked as athletic as any lineman who suited up this afternoon. He was fluid, moved well on his feet and displayed a great deal of agility. He tipped the scales at 294 pounds but looks as though he has a great deal of growth potential.

Sounds interesting in the context of someome who would like solve RT and C through FA. 

27 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

That possibility wouldn’t exist if he had suited up in week-17 and shown the league what he looks like in live game action. 

Ya but gms are not stupid. It’s one thing if Petty did decent, but gms will say “ jets were 6th worse team in league with nothing to play for, Petty is the worst qb playing , and they still won’t put their 2nd yr qb in “ Ha.

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Arizona, Denver, Cleveland, Jets, Redskins..

DAMN.

expect this bidding war to truly get out of hand. I have a gut feeling we don’t get him.

Those teams’ cap space going into the 2018 offseason in millions obviously:

$27.8

$28.6

$112.4

$80.6

$53.9

So the first two don’t have the money. The other three of those teams have a legit shot at Cousins without cutting starters, he’s been shutting down one of them for 3 years now. It’s Jets vs. Browns and an easy call for Cousins. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

$27.8

$28.6

$112.4

$80.6

$53.9

So three of those teams have a legit shot at Cousins without cuttings starter, and he’s been shutting down one of them for 3 years now. The other are the Browns from Cleveland, Ohio. 

Thanks for this! 

But how come Denver/ARI feel they can make such a big run for him? I don’t get it. Does this mean they will be okay with letting players go in order to sign him? They just seem too cocky for my own comfort.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Thanks for this! 

But how come Denver/ARI feel they can make such a big run for him? I don’t get it. Does this mean they will be okay with letting players go in order to sign him? They just seem too cocky for my own comfort.

Because it’s hard making sports interesting 24/7/365 for everyone? Iunno 

24 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

$27.8

$28.6

$112.4

$80.6

$53.9

So the first two don’t have the money. The other three of those teams have a legit shot at Cousins without cutting starters, he’s been shutting down one of them for 3 years now. It’s Jets vs. Browns and an easy call for Cousins. 

Elway will find away to make more cap room if he really wants cousins. They are requested to coach mayfield in senior game and said to like him. They won’t draft a qb in the 1st and sign cousins. Only the jets would do that lol 

18 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Elway will find away to make more cap room if he really wants cousins. They are requested to coach mayfield in senior game and said to like him. They won’t draft a qb in the 1st and sign cousins. Only the jets would do that lol 

Absolutely no problem with double dipping this year.

28 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The max the Broncos are getting to won’t even be $45 million. They’d be the 2017-2018 San Fran Giants of the NFL, an old roster with a ton of money tied through the end of the decade hoping for one last hurrah. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

$27.8

$28.6

$112.4

$80.6

$53.9

BTW I think the Browns get Zeke Ansah, Trumaine Johnson, Malcolm Butler, and Dontari Poe in FA. Darnold and either the CB or Derwin James with their first picks. 

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

as always this will come down to guaranteed money and hes already turned down 53 mil from the Skins. Im guessing teams will need to be in the 80 mil guaranteed area to have any chance. So it may look like 5 years 130 mil with 80 guaranteed

Worth it

That said $27 million is a huge difference and this is the NFL where totally not collusion is king. I have serious doubts he gets to $80 in garauntees. Also think the total contract will top Luck’s $140.

He’ll beat Manning’s $54 million in garauntees, the last major FA QB. In that context it’s not surprising he shot down $53. 

Think more like: 5 years, $60-72 million garaunteed, and $150 million in total value. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Worth it

That said $27 million is a huge difference and this is the NFL where totally not collusion is king. I have serious doubts he gets to $80 in garauntees. Also think the total contract will top Luck’s $140.

He’ll beat Manning’s $54 million in garauntees, the last major FA QB, and in that context it’s not surprising he shot down $53. 

Think more like: 5 years, $60-72 million garaunteed, and $150 million in total value 

I think its worth it as well . I also think you're numbers are in the right range 80 may be a bit too high but ya never know. What I'm concerned with is when do the numbers start to get stupid and at what point do you stop.

If we get Cousins I would love one of the dynamic RB's with the 6th pick its been long over due that we had a game changing RB ... Well I'm not sure we ever had a game changer at RB :) 

After that's done build up the O-line to enhance the running game and beef up protection for our new QB.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

I think its worth it as well . I also think you're numbers are in the right range 80 may be a bit too high but ya never know. What I'm concerned with is when do the numbers start to get stupid and at what point do you stop.

I do think the teams with more money to spend like the Jets can do $80 ($36, $36, $8 million buy out in year 3) but just seems a little rich for NFL owners’ tastes. 

Expect Washington to apply the transition tag, prepared to match any offer. Any team investing a lot of time in trying to sign Cousins had better have a backup plan. I'd hate to waste time and miss out on other priority FAs just to do Washington's negotiating for them. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Expect Washington to apply the transition tag, prepared to match any offer. Any team investing a lot of time in trying to sign Cousins had better have a backup plan. I'd hate to waste time and miss out on other priority FAs just to do Washington's negotiating for them. 

Hasn’t Gruden already put a stake in Cousins heart? He pretty much insulted his desire to be a team player and said he’s not worth the trouble of resigning since his apparent commitment isn’t to the Redskins. Cousins is in his prime and will be sought after by top teams in need of a QB. He’s bolting. No question. 

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

$27.8

$28.6

$112.4

$80.6

$53.9

they don't have any money at the moment but how hard is it these teams to clear cap space?  it's probably not too hard for any team to clear 20 million at any time.

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

they don't have any money at the moment but how hard is it these teams to clear cap space?  it's probably not too hard for any team to clear 20 million at any time.

With rollovers already included these teams won’t be able to do much beyond Cousins, low-mid tier FA, and draft even if they made space. That’s after cutting a starter and if they get Cousins cheaper than the Jets, Browns, or Redskins might for some reason. 

The way I see it, if this report is accurate, Cousins going to Arizona is the only scenario where we might not get Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield.

Cleveland - we can either trade up and get Darnold/Rosen (trading away the farm) or land Mayfield at 6 and give up nothing.

Denver get Cousins - we can hold tight at 6 and give up nothing

Arizona - we're going to have to give up the farm to get to 3 or 4 to get Mayfield - which may or may not happen.

Here is our back up plan. Sign Alex smith. He will have a huge chip onhis shoulder. Then get an edge rusher, OT and a RB with one of our second round picks. Than add more skill positions. Get that kid out of Clemson Watson used to throw to #13.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, slats said:

This.  Jay Glazer reported weeks ago the Redskins are sick of having to go year to year with Cousins, BUT want to keep Cousins, and they understand the only way they will ever get him to sign a long term deal is to let him see what he can get on the open market, and then just match it.  Glazer doesn’t report sh*t unless it comes from the horses mouth, so Cousins anywhere, but Washington is not a reality without a seriously stupid poison pill like contract.

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This.  Jay Glazer reported weeks ago the Redskins are sick of having to go year to year with Cousins, BUT want to keep Cousins, and they understand the only way they will ever get him to sign a long term deal is to let him see what he can get on the open market, and then just match it.  Glazer doesn’t report sh*t unless it comes from the horses mouth, so Cousins anywhere, but Washington is not a reality without a seriously stupid poison pill like contract.

agree, someone will probably have to send a pick to Washington, mid-round ideally but they could hold out for a 2nd similar to Jimmy G - probably cheaper than poison pill like contract - everyone "wins"

good news on hack, take a 7th and run - save $1.2m and let's hope Mac learned a lesson, game tape matters, not potential from personal workout

Archived