Beningo vs Mehta. Wow

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, win4ever said:

Lol, I wasn't sure if anyone could make Mehta look reasonable, but Joe managed it.  

Manish pushes his own agenda, gets people riled up, and probably hates the Jets.  I'm not sure there is another reporter out there that I like less than him.  However, Joe just played right into it by going on a tirade that doesn't make sense.  If you want to argue Bowles, you talk about the lack of progression, how besides Leo, there weren't many guys that seemed to actually improve.  We saw Wilk, Sheldon, Revis, Fitz, Marshall, and countless others regress.  Instead Joe arguing about the record just comes off as idiotic, because he's just being loud and repeating the same idea.

I agree with his idea, Marrone was probably a better choice than Bowles, and I hate Bowles as a head coach.  However, you can just yell that a bunch of times, then act all mighty as if you won the "argument" citing your memory about the 1972 Jets.  I like Joe because he's passionate and loves the Jets (which was kinda rare), but he's not the brightest bulb.  He chases the in the moment with headlines, and doesn't get off his "How many times I have seen this team suck" idea.  

In summary, they both suck. 

He's not even in the box with the other bulbs. :mellow:

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Big Joe fan but he sounded dumb. Saying Mehta doesnt care if the Jets win a Super Bowl or not. Its not his job to care about that, hes a reporter

I would bet the house that every beat writer, for every sport, would all tell you that covering a team thats winning is better in just about every way over covering a team that is losing.  Have heard this time after time, never have heard one good point about covering a losing team.

18 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Seattle, cancun, london and nashville do t count

Thats a stereotype

Yes, poor quality restaurants, hotels, concerts, attractions, music scene, shows. Did i miss something? 

Then act that way

Ummmm. I think you wohld rather be making 10x your salary and living in the lower east side catching great bamds and eating killer indian. Just a humch mate, i could be wrong

Every city has restaurants, hotels and concerts. Manhattan is great and all and I spent damn near a decade there in my 20's and enjoyed it, but the first thing you realize when you leave is the world certainly does not revolve around NY.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Every city has restaurants, hotels and concerts. Manhattan is great and all and I spent damn near a decade there in my 20's and enjoyed it, but the first thing you realize when you leave is the world certainly does not revolve around NY.

I lived and worked in NYC in the 80's.  Liked it but it can be tough commuting from Queens when its raining, snowing etc.  In Charlotte, I get everything I need, a 10 minute commute, growing economy, I make a good living and I earn enough to go to NYC first class, stay at the Trump SOHO and do what I want.   I wouldn't move back ever.  I play Golf every Friday at a private club 10 minutes from my home, great restaurants etc. That wouldn't happen in NY for 99 percent of people.

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I lived and worked in NYC in the 80's.  Liked it but it can be tough commuting from Queens when its raining, snowing etc.  In Charlotte, I get everything I need, a 10 minute commute, growing economy, I make a good living and I earn enough to go to NYC first class, stay at the Trump SOHO and do what I want.   I wouldn't move back ever.  I play Golf every Friday at a private club 10 minutes from my home, great restaurants etc. That wouldn't happen in NY for 99 percent of people.

Everyone has their own tastes. I'd move back if I had to, but from an entertainment standpoint living outside of NY, especially as you get older isnt all that big of a deal. How many times can one go out to eat anyways? Charlotte is certainly growing- I hear good things. 

A reasonable person could  have put Mehta in his place much more effectively. Should have focused on Mehta's attack on Marrone and the implications, and why he was so quick to attack Marrone right after he left Bill, whatever. it didn't even look like fair journalism when I read it back then, kind of how CNN tries to make Trump look bad. But instead, the interviewer was yelling, losing his cool, which is never good in any kind of debate, you never look like the winner.... Could have nailed Manish and make him squirm with calm reasoned facts instead of all this loud mouth stuff... what a pity and missed opportunity to trap that rat.

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Bowles is horrible, and Mac can't draft.  VERY valid points.

2 out of his first 3 first round picks look good. Lee has shown improvement. Smith got hurt, Maye looks solid, Hack was a terrible pick, Robbie Anderson as an undrafted free agent was a steal. Pryor for Davis was a steal. Richardson for Kearse and a 2nd looks really good right now. McGuire looks like a solid pick.

Idk, I'd give him an incomplete so far on his overall job. And I want to see Bowles with a good team before I right him off as well. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Northern Virginia is better???  

Than Long Island (the equivalent suburb)?  Lol, absolutely.

And yes, D.C. has everything New York has and quite a bit more. 

We don't have as much of each thing, admittedly, but any individual thing NYC has DC has an equal or better.

Plus we have the Federal Government, Museums in droves, materially less crime, generally less traffic, better roads, similar access to top quality food, art and shows, all the same pro sports, more college sports, lower taxes, and the ability to get away from all of it if one so desires in less than 20 minutes in nearly any direction.

And generally speaking, a vastly better and more friendly attitude among the majority of locals.  Far fewer dickheads down here than up there.

All that, and if we want everything you have, it's only 5 hours up the road.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

+1

It's like New Yorkers think everywhere that ISN'T New York must be like Butthump, Nebraska, population 15. 

All part of why New Yorkers are often considered insufferable pricks who get off on being pricks everywhere outside New York tbqh.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Thats cool. I have no quarrle with you. You dont regularly go out of your way to bash ny. 

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Thats cool. I have no quarrle with you. You dont regularly go out of your way to bash ny. 

Perfect example of New Yorker egomania.

If you don't agree that New Yawk is the greatest thing eva, you're "bashing" New York.  Lol.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Are you going to pretend that you were in favor of Marrone with the Jets? I don't recall that. @T0mShanewas (as was I). 

I wasn't in love with him, but I would have been fine with it:

On 1/1/2015 at 4:59 PM, dbatesman said:

That Bills fans and Manish Mehta hate Marrone means he's almost certainly the best candidate.

Got any more bon mots for us?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

We don't have as much of each thing, admittedly, but any individual thing NYC has DC has an equal or better.

Plus we have the Federal Government, Museums in droves, materially less crime, generally less traffic, better roads, similar access to top quality food, art and shows, all the same pro sports, more college sports, lower taxes, and the ability to get away from all of it if one so desires in less than 20 minutes in nearly any direction.

And generally speaking, a vastly better and more friendly attitude among the majority of locals.  Far fewer dickheads down here than up there.

+1

It's like New Yorkers think everywhere that ISN'T New York must be like Butthump, Nebraska, population 15. 

All part of why New Yorkers are often considered insufferable pricks who get off on being pricks everywhere outside New York tbqh.

I meant radio. TRUST me , im with you. My daughter works on the hill , lives in the district so Im in DC a LOT.  I have good friends in Yorktown and Richmond.    Long Island is , dare I say, a sh*th0le these days.   I NEVER go back except weddings and funerals.  

20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I wasn't in love with him, but I would have been fine with it:

Got any more bon mots for us?

...Side note: I am legitimately mystified as to what the hell DougMarrone has done to impress anyone.

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:
...Side note: I am legitimately mystified as to what the hell DougMarrone has done to impress anyone.

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I wasn't in love with him, but I would have been fine with it

On 1/16/2018 at 6:32 AM, Jack Straw said:

Manish probably spent his entire childhood getting stuff into lockers by the jocks in school and now that he has a pen and a news outlet, he's seeking revenge on anyone who reminds him of those childhood bullies (Marrone, Mo Wilk, Revis, etc).

The irony is that he's become a bully with a pen, and he's wielding his power against people he doesn't like.

Good on Joe for stuffing him into a locker one last time.

Wilkerson is a dead beat.

6 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

2 out of his first 3 first round picks look good. Lee has shown improvement. Smith got hurt, Maye looks solid, Hack was a terrible pick, Robbie Anderson as an undrafted free agent was a steal. Pryor for Davis was a steal. Richardson for Kearse and a 2nd looks really good right now. McGuire looks like a solid pick.

Idk, I'd give him an incomplete so far on his overall job. And I want to see Bowles with a good team before I right him off as well. Just my opinion.

Almost of all of Macagnan’s draft picks stink including that shrimpy LB Lee and every Tight End’s favorite matchup Jamal Adams

16 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I just hate how Evan tries to give him this reputation as "The Godfather" of Jets fan. That man does not represent or speak for me. I love his passion for the team and respect his knowledge and he's a good listen at times but he's totally irrational most of the time.

He just can't look at anything fairly. He likes to go back in time and take his anger and frustration over Rich Kotite out on guys like Todd Bowles and Macc. It's just completely irrational. He never has any solutions, just anger. "Get me this, get me that" and if the team does it and it doesn't work he'll just bash them for doing it and scream about getting the next thing. I get it to an extent because he's a fan like the rest of us and we're all prone to overreactions but I just can't stand his rhetoric at times.

I think they just do it to get ratings, because he just yells and screams most of the time. 

There he is, wax poetic about the Fitz signing and how Macc is a genius for bringing him back, back when it was Fitzmagic, the record setting franchise guy.  He just stays in the moment, yells out something that he considers the popular opinion and sticks with it.  

I have no problem if people take a stance, I hate Todd Bowles, I think he's an idiot too.  However, I hate it when people take a side and don't back it up with anything.  He's about par for the course I guess, but it makes for a tough listen. 

14 hours ago, section314 said:

He's not even in the box with the other bulbs. :mellow:

Lol, the loudest bulb. 

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

+1

Went to DC last year for vacation in July, and half of the museums were closed.  The Metro is a rip off.  Traffic is horrible.  Was way better in 1988.  

On 1/16/2018 at 9:55 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

I’m not a Mehta fan by any means and I’m not a Bowles fan but I have to be fair. I thought Mehta was clearly right in this argument. In my opinion Benigno came off as a diehard Jets fan who lives completely in the moment and because of the frustrations he’s dealt with over the years can’t look at something fair.

1. I’m sure Bowles would have kicked the FG against the Steelers. But guess what, he would probably be right to do so because his team stinks. Maybe if Bowles had a good team he would have went for it. We simply don’t know. It’s not fair to judge what Marrone does with the 2017 Jags compared to what Bowles would do with the 2017 Jets when we know the talent is lopsided in the Jags favor.

2. Marrone won 10 games in a very weak AFC South. If you can’t put up 12 wins in the AFC East you aren’t even thinking about the division. Now it doesn’t matter, the divisions are the divisions but lets not put Marrone in Canton already because he went 10-6 in year 1. Rex had back to back AFC Title games to start his career and look at him now. He won’t give up on blaming Bowles for the final game of the 2015 season when his QB, who played well for him all season long, threw an awful INT when the team had a chance to take the lead. He locked in on Decker who was never open and had he scanned the field would have found Chris Ivory wide open slipping out of the backfield. Bowles deserves some blame, but to give him all the blame is a joke. The players play.

3. Benigno just sits there and complains “give me this, give me that” without any reasonable answer for how to accomplish what he wants. Basically “I don’t know, but just give it to me”. I’d love to have a franchise QB as much as the next guy, but give me the guy the Jets blew it on? Whose the guy Macc passed on that we are kicking ourselves over? I can’t think of someone. So it’s not fair IMO to play madden football and concoct trades that we don’t even know are possible. One of Benigno’s lines towards the end was something along the lines of “What I would do if I was the Jets is trade up for the number 1 pick in the draft”. You don’t even know if the pick is available to acquire. But typical Joe B “I don’t care, just get it”. Illogical.

Beningo’s stupidity notwithstanding, it’s not illogical:

The #1 pick was available, and we had more move-up ammo than the Rams (who did move up to the #1 spot) since we were also dangling Mo’s trade value and we only picked 5 spots behind them. As we understand it, Macc declined the offer, and IIRC the sticking point was over a 2nd round pick that he’d then use the next day to draft Christian Hackenberg. So there’s your move-up to #1, and there’s 2 young FQBs in that one draft alone.

The year before, he “showed interest” in Cousins (“showed interest” is and has been Maccagnan-speak for, “I have interest only if I perceive it to be a lopsided offer like Chicago offered me for Brandon Marshall”). Cousins was not yet the Washington starter (at that point in the early offseason they maintained RGIII was their guy), so he was certainly available. He passed on the chance. Plus it would have been a no-brainer, after trading for him, to extend him at some $10m+/year less than he’ll cost now. We also would not have made the following picks: 2015 2nd rounder for D.Smith (trade away for Cousins instead, so net draft pick cost for him would be zero); 2015 4th and 7th rounders for Petty; 2016 2nd rounder for Hackenberg; $20m for Fitzpatrick and McCown; and whatever else in FA $ and draft picks that we expend this year to bring in a QB we could have been building around for the past 3 full offseasons. With only 2 really good prospects in the upcoming 2015 draft, and the QB-less Jets picking down at #6, this trigger should have been pulled if he really had such an eye for talent and was doing his homework. 

There’s also passing up on other QBs who were simply there for us in the past 2 drafts without making any trades at all: Prescott, Watson, Mahomes.

Oh yeah, and the icing on the cake is Case Keenum was available on a 1 year $2m contract (he went to a team where he knew he’d be entrenched as the #2 QB at best); he instead went with Josh McCown at triple that in guarantees, with playing-time incentives that ballooned that to almost quadruple Keenum’s deal.

So that’s a solid a half dozen QBs he passed up on above - on average, a couple per season - in favor of expending all those draft picks and the embarrassing contract negotiations, for Fitz, Petty, Hackenberg, and McCown, and we still have to make a significant investment in the position this year as well, as we have absolutely nothing on the roster except the blind hope that the guy who couldn’t overtake Bryce Petty for the #2 job for 2 years, will be a FQB. Even the Jets know that isn’t happening.

I’m not wasting my time listening to these two morons, so I’ll take your word for the exchanges between them, but no Mehta is not right. And while Beningo may not have outlined what I did above (because I agree, he’s just a blowhard meathead). That doesn’t make him wrong in spite of his own knownothing-ness. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Beningo’s stupidity notwithstanding, it’s not illogical:

The #1 pick was available, and we had more move-up ammo than the Rams (who did move up to the #1 spot) since we were also dangling Mo’s trade value and we only picked 5 spots behind them. As we understand it, Macc declined the offer, and IIRC the sticking point was over a 2nd round pick that he’d then use the next day to draft Christian Hackenberg. So there’s your move-up to #1, and there’s 2 young FQBs in that one draft alone.

The year before, he “showed interest” in Cousins (“showed interest” is and has been Maccagnan-speak for, “I have interest only if I perceive it to be a lopsided offer like Chicago offered me for Brandon Marshall”). Cousins was not yet the Washington starter (at that point in the early offseason they maintained RGIII was their guy), so he was certainly available. He passed on the chance. Plus it would have been a no-brainer, after trading for him, to extend him at some $10m+/year less than he’ll cost now. We also would not have made the following picks: 2015 2nd rounder for D.Smith (trade away for Cousins instead, so net draft pick cost for him would be zero); 2015 4th and 7th rounders for Petty; 2016 2nd rounder for Hackenberg; $20m for Fitzpatrick and McCown; and whatever else in FA $ and draft picks that we expend this year to bring in a QB we could have been building around for the past 3 full offseasons. With only 2 really good prospects in the upcoming 2015 draft, and the QB-less Jets picking down at #6, this trigger should have been pulled if he really had such an eye for talent and was doing his homework. 

There’s also passing up on other QBs who were simply there for us in the past 2 drafts without making any trades at all: Prescott, Watson, Mahomes.

Oh yeah, and the icing on the cake is Case Keenum was available on a 1 year $2m contract (he went to a team where he knew he’d be entrenched as the #2 QB at best); he instead went with Josh McCown at triple that in guarantees, with playing-time incentives that ballooned that to almost quadruple Keenum’s deal.

So that’s a solid a half dozen QBs he passed up on above - on average, a couple per season - in favor of expending all those draft picks and the embarrassing contract negotiations, for Fitz, Petty, Hackenberg, and McCown, and we still have to make a significant investment in the position this year as well, as we have absolutely nothing on the roster except the blind hope that the guy who couldn’t overtake Bryce Petty for the #2 job for 2 years, will be a FQB. Even the Jets know that isn’t happening.

I’m not wasting my time listening to these two morons, so I’ll take your word for the exchanges between them, but no Mehta is not right. And while Beningo may not have outlined what I did above (because I agree, he’s just a blowhard meathead). That doesn’t make him wrong in spite of his own knownothing-ness. 

I'm talking about trading up for #1 pick this year. I haven't heard that the pick is even available for trade yet. The Hack pick was a disaster. No argument here.

Everyone passed on Keenum. He wasn't a hot commodity. I'm not going to kill a GM for not unearthing that gem when he came out of nowhere. I get it's his job to find talent but I have to be fair. I don't think anybody saw Case Keenum coming this year. He got 1 good season out of Fitz and 1 solid season out of McCown. He hasn't been able to find a long term solution at the position, thats the problem. But I don't see the guy he passed on that would be the fit. I don't believe in Prescott, thats my own opinion. I think he would have been a disaster here. He's got a weak arm. Watson and Mahomes the jury is still out on.

There's always could have, would have, should have moves out there. But it's hard for me to bash a GM because he might have had a chance to trade for Kirk Cousins a few years ago. I think thats a grey area IMO. If Cousins hits the market this off season, he passes on him and drafts a QB whose no good and Cousins plays great, then i'll kill him. But i'm not going to get on him for trades he might have been able to make.

Mehta is an idiot, but I just think in this argument, he's looking at the situation in a much more rational sense than Joe B. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm talking about trading up for #1 pick this year. I haven't heard that the pick is even available for trade yet. The Hack pick was a disaster. No argument here.

Everyone passed on Keenum. He wasn't a hot commodity. I'm not going to kill a GM for not unearthing that gem when he came out of nowhere. I get it's his job to find talent but I have to be fair. I don't think anybody saw Case Keenum coming this year. He got 1 good season out of Fitz and 1 solid season out of McCown. He hasn't been able to find a long term solution at the position, thats the problem. But I don't see the guy he passed on that would be the fit. I don't believe in Prescott, thats my own opinion. I think he would have been a disaster here. He's got a weak arm. Watson and Mahomes the jury is still out on.

There's always could have, would have, should have moves out there. But it's hard for me to bash a GM because he might have had a chance to trade for Kirk Cousins a few years ago. I think thats a grey area IMO. If Cousins hits the market this off season, he passes on him and drafts a QB whose no good and Cousins plays great, then i'll kill him. But i'm not going to get on him for trades he might have been able to make.

Mehta is an idiot, but I just think in this argument, he's looking at the situation in a much more rational sense than Joe B. Just my opinion.

If you're fishing in the shallow end of the QB FA pool, probably not a surprise they got it wrong on the Kennum/McCown option. But Kennum is younger and cheaper. On that alone made no sense. Jets blew Mccown out of the water, could've had Kennum for relative pennies. Jets weren't making the playoff either way, so why did they overpay? 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If you're fishing in the shallow end of the QB FA pool, probably not a surprise they got it wrong on the Kennum/McCown option. But Kennum is younger and cheaper. On that alone made no sense. Jets blew Mccown out of the water, could've had Kennum for relative pennies. Jets weren't making the playoff either way, so why did they overpay? 

I get it. But basically every team without a QB missed on Keenum. It wasn't like it was this glaring option for the Jets. He signed on to be a backup in Minnesota.

He was 9-15 before this year. The idea of McCown at the time was that he could mentor younger QBs while the Jets are going to be terrible for the season. Of course looking back on it now we should have signed Keenum but i'm looking at the decision at the time, not the result.

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

So I typed all this for nothing? :bag: 

Meh, it's ok. I love it.

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

But McCown was a hot commodity?

I don't think it was a stretch to think $2m Keenum was a better pickup than McCown at $7m (give or take a million based on playing time incentives). It's not as though McCown had this much better season than Keenum in 2016, and he's 38 effing years old. 

Or hey, they could have signed Keenum even after already signing McCown. We guaranteed more than Keenum's 2017 salary for what ended up being 1 more month of Marcus Williams - a healthy cut despite that guarantee - so let that sink in. Keenum didn't sign with Minnesota until early April. 

I'm not even going to address the cop-out of "he wouldn't have been as good here" right after the last two veteran career-nobodies - neither of whom have strong arms themselves - just had career years here. It's self-defeating nonsense that holds no actual weight. If Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown could have some amount of success here, then so could Case Keenum. Please.  

Jury's out on Watson and Mahomes? You know who the jury's not still out on? Every QB drafted and signed by Mike Maccagnan.

On 1/17/2018 at 1:45 PM, Warfish said:

+1

The beach.  What about the ******* beach?  I have lived here (Old Town and Silver Spring) for the last 1/2 decade and it takes the same amount of time for me to get to the Jersey Shore as OC. 

Archived