Jets' all-time WORST picks in top 10 of NFL Draft ? ? ?

kelly

Just now, section314 said:

Any list that doesn't have Sanchez in the top 3 is crap.

That's silly.   

He was not as bad a Lam Jones, not as bad D Rob, not as bad as Vernon Gholston.   He won games and showed some promise, and won some playoff games.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

That's silly.   

He was not as bad a Lam Jones, not as bad D Rob, not as bad as Vernon Gholston.   He won games and showed some promise, and won some playoff games.

But Dewayne Robertson was a bowling ball with butcher knives.

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That's silly.   

Fist-Bump-Fail-Big-Bang-Theory.gif

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That's silly.   

You are missing one key point. None of those misses really set the team back much, if at all. Sanchez was taken 5th to be out FQB, and was gone in 4 years, and has been an abject failure every other stop along the way. We are in the QB hell we are in now largely because Sanchez was a bust. When you miss on a QB in round one, it kills you for years.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

You are missing one key point. None of those misses really set the team back much, if at all. Sanchez was taken 5th to be out FQB, and was gone in 4 years, and has been an abject failure every other stop along the way. We are in the QB hell we are in now largely because Sanchez was a bust. When you miss on a QB in round one, it kills you for years.

Did the team go 2-14  after we drafted him?   Did we keep missing the playoffs because of him the next few years?

He wasn't good.   But the team had limited success with him as the QB.   The others were worse.

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Did the team go 2-14  after we drafted him?   Did we keep missing the playoffs because of him the next few years?

He wasn't good.   But the team had limited success with him as the QB.   The others were worse.

raw

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He wasn't good.   But the team had limited. success with him as the QB   The others were worse.

Just what you want from a QB you trade up to #5 for. Sanchez led to Geno, which led to Petty and Hack. See a pattern here? Sanchez killed us.

Just now, section314 said:

Just what you want from a QB you trade up to #5 for. Sanchez led to Geno, which led to Petty and Hack. See a pattern here? Sanchez killed us.

OK.   There is a good pick.

There is a mediocre pick

There is a bad pick

There is a massive bust.  

Giving up 2 first rounders to get D Rob who did nothing is a massive bust.    Using the #2 draft pick in the draft to take a WR who does nothing is a massive bust.  Drafting a running back #2 in a loaded draft so that you pass on multiple Hall of Fame players is a massive bust.   Drafting a pass rushing OLB who never gets even one sack is a massive bust.

Drafting a QB top 5, while giving up a second rounder and 2 JAG players and that QB gets you to some playoff wins before falling apart as the team disintegrates around him so that he's done before 26 is a bad pick, but it is not the level of crap the others are.

28 minutes ago, section314 said:

Any list that doesn't have Sanchez in the top 3 is crap.

Whether or not the Jets won because of him or in spite of him, he is 4-2 in the playoffs with all 4 wins on the road. Two AFC championship games in a row. He had games where he pulled wins out of his ass. He had the tools to be a decent QB but he was the victim of piss poor development. He was never going to be an elite QB, but he could have had a nice career had it not been for Rex Ryan throwing him to the wolves in a f'n preseason game vs the Giants. The Snoopy Bowl title meant something to Rex. What a damn fool!

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

OK.   There is a good pick.

There is a mediocre pick

There is a bad pick

There is a massive bust.  

Giving up 2 first rounders to get D Rob who did nothing is a massive bust.    Using the #2 draft pick in the draft to take a WR who does nothing is a massive bust.  Drafting a running back #2 in a loaded draft so that you pass on multiple Hall of Fame players is a massive bust.   Drafting a pass rushing OLB who never gets even one sack is a massive bust.

Drafting a QB top 5, while giving up a second rounder and 2 JAG players and that QB gets you to some playoff wins before falling apart as the team disintegrates around him so that he's done before 26 is a bad pick, but it is not the level of crap the others are.

We will just have to agree to disagree. You make valid, good points. All the guys you mentioned were busts, no question. I am coming from the angle that a high 1st round miss on a QB is much more damaging to a team, longer term, than a miss on a WR, RB or Dlineman ever could be. 

31 minutes ago, section314 said:

I'm no Sanchez fan, but lol, no he's not one of our worst ever picks. 

And we're not in QB Hell today strictly because of him, ALOT of other people and mistakes played a part in where we are now.

Sanchez was a meh pick.  Ghost was an all-time bad pick.

Just now, Warfish said:

I'm no Sanchez fan, but lol, no he's not one of our worst ever picks. 

And we're not in QB Hell today strictly because of him, ALOT of other people and mistakes played a part in where we are now.

If Sanchez didn't bust, would we have had to make those mistakes? I think you know the answer to that one.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

We will just have to agree to disagree. You make valid, good points. All the guys you mentioned were busts, no question. I am coming from the angle that a high 1st round miss on a QB is much more damaging to a team, longer term, than a miss on a WR, RB or Dlineman ever could be. 

Fair enough.

It's sad we have so many busted picks to argue over

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Something we can definitely agree on.:D

I just looked up the Lam Jones pick.   Next selection, Anthony Munoz.   6 of the top 10 players went to the Pro Bowl.   It's every bit as bad as the Blair Thomas pick.

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

If Sanchez didn't bust, would we have had to make those mistakes? I think you know the answer to that one.

Sanchez didn't bust.  Again, please stop making me defend a player I don't like.

Sanchez was not developed by this organization (WE never made HIM better) and he was abused by Rex leading to his injury and requisite exit.

Sanchez could have been a better player if he played for a better run organization with a better Head Coach and O-Co.

Also, look at what we drafted at QB that year.  Stafford went ahead of Sanchez, then Sanchez, and the rest.....a horror show.  

Hence he is not an all-time bad pick.  And yes, many MANY of our post-Sanchez mistakes had nothing to do with him.

The Jets had 27 top 10 picks. 24 since Joe Namath. Almost 1 of 3 picks have to be on the "worst" list by default. 

11. Richard Todd - A guy who imploded in the AFC championship game isn't a bad draft pick, let alone one of the worst top 10 draft picks. I can't put a guy who got us to the AFC championship on any "worst" lists. In his defense, it was the Mud Bowl, and Don Shula is a genius for not covering the field.

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The Jets had 27 top 10 picks. 24 since Joe Namath. Almost 1 of 3 picks have to be on the "worst" list by default. 

11. Richard Todd - A guy who imploded in the AFC championship game isn't a bad draft pick, let alone one of the worst top 10 draft picks. I can't put a guy who got us to the AFC championship on any "worst" lists. In his defense, it was the Mud Bowl, and Don Shula is a genius for not covering the field.

richard todd.. he HURT us more than he HELPED us   :unsure:

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sanchez didn't bust.  Again, please stop making me defend a player I don't like.

Sanchez was not developed by this organization (WE never made HIM better) and he was abused by Rex leading to his injury and requisite exit.

Sanchez could have been a better player if he played for a better run organization with a better Head Coach and O-Co.

Also, look at what we drafted at QB that year.  Stafford went ahead of Sanchez, then Sanchez, and the rest.....a horror show.  

Hence he is not an all-time bad pick.  And yes, many MANY of our post-Sanchez mistakes had nothing to do with him.

If you don't think a QB you drafted 5th is a bust, why would you take another QB 4 years later in rd 2?  4 other organizations have since come to the same conclusion.......Sanchez is not good.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

If you don't think a QB you drafted 5th is a bust, why would you take another QB 4 years later in rd 2?  4 other organizations have since come to the same conclusion.......Sanchez is not good.

I can give you a half dozen reasons.  But you've clearly made your mind up, wrongly IMO, and I'm not going to spend the next three hours bashing my head against your wall in order to defend Mark 'f'ing Sanchez.

You think he's the worst, fine.  /shrug.

We could go about ANYWHERE when it comes to first round Jet busts. 1968 Lee White was #1. The following year was Steve Tannen. Also in the Weeb mix was Carl Barzolauskas (anyone remember him?). In the Walton era came Russell Carter and Ron Faurot and later was Roger Vick and Dave Cadigan, who wasn't particularly bad, but Michael Irvin was on the board at the time as were Chris Spielman and Jumbo Elliott. Then you get the Blair Thomas fiasco as well as Lam Jones and later Vernon Gholston and Kyle Wilson. Ugh

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I can give you a half dozen reasons.  But you've clearly made your mind up, wrongly IMO, and I'm not going to spend the next three hours bashing my head against your wall in order to defend Mark 'f'ing Sanchez.

You think he's the worst, fine.  /shrug.

:D Not another peep out of me.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

We could go about ANYWHERE when it comes to first round Jet busts. 1968 Lee White was #1. The following year was Steve Tannen. Also in the Weeb mix was Carl Barzolauskas (anyone remember him?). In the Walton era came Russell Carter and Ron Faurot and later was Roger Vick and Dave Cadigan, who wasn't particularly bad, but Michael Irvin was on the board at the time as were Chris Spielman and Jumbo Elliott. Then you get the Blair Thomas fiasco as well as Lam Jones and later Vernon Gholston and Kyle Wilson. Ugh

Thomas was killer because HoFer Emmett Smith was still on the board. 

Archived