Jets' all-time WORST picks in top 10 of NFL Draft ? ? ?

kelly

This list is a bit confusing.  They are obviously mixing the worst players with the worst draft picks.  

The difference: Gholstin was by far the worst player drafted in the top 10 because he totally sucked.  Probably not the worst draft pick because he was the consensus pick for all the “experts.”

Lam Jones at least played and contributed.  Not worth where he was picked or what they gave up for him but he did play 5 seasons and scored 13 TDs which trumps zero sacks, IMO.

As far as the worst draft picks, you have to say Brady over Sapp or B. Thomas over Emmitt Smith.  Even Milliner because we traded Revis.  These are just in the top 10.

And not to not Slater because I read his stuff all the time, on what basis did he use to compare guys from the 60’s?  Did he watch film of these guys because he’s younger than I am and I am not old enough to remember the 70’s let alone before that.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Thomas was killer because HoFer Emmett Smith was still on the board. 

No one was taking Smith #2, I don't blame them for that.

But look at the talent in that draft.  2 HOF taken right after him, multiple Pro Bowlers after that.   Blech...

52 minutes ago, chirorob said:

No one was taking Smith #2, I don't blame them for that.

But look at the talent in that draft.  2 HOF taken right after him, multiple Pro Bowlers after that.   Blech...

Cortez Kennedy and Junior Seau.  What’s worse was Brady/Douglass over Sapp and Brooks.

Gholston

Lam Jones

Blair Thomas.

At least Sanchez wasn't bad enough to keep us out of the playoffs and D-Rob played adequately for many years while never living up to his draft position and the trades.. he did play competently.  Gholston, Lam and Blair were just total busts.

7 hours ago, section314 said:

You are missing one key point. None of those misses really set the team back much, if at all. Sanchez was taken 5th to be out FQB, and was gone in 4 years, and has been an abject failure every other stop along the way. We are in the QB hell we are in now largely because Sanchez was a bust. When you miss on a QB in round one, it kills you for years.

well yes missing on a qb is worse than missing on a tackle but at the same time they didn't exactly give sanchez many tools to work with.  he edwards and cotchery and one decent year from holmes but outside of that he didn't have much.  not to mention that rex was yammering away and not paying much attention to the  offense (and the way rex's defenses played it looks like he didn't do much with them either).  and i know it's unfair to say sanchez failed because he didn't have the tools and then not give any slack to geno but we still don't how good either of them could be because of the circumstances.  if sanchez doesn't get injured in the snoopy bowl geno doesn't start during 2014 and so on.  who knows maybe he would've been a decent qb without that idiot rex buying tatoos for his wife and all.  and to be sure sanchez brought on a lot of it himself by not being mature given all of the temptations that go with being a ny sports celeb.

i think the thing i found interesting was that no 11 on the list was todd.  there's another guy who was a victim of joe walton's disdain.  he wasn't a superstar but he was good enough to get those early 80's team to the playoffs.  to his discredit he had the tools to make those teams go.

27 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

How Ron Faurot did make the list is ridiculous.  The Jets traded QB Richard Todd to the Saints after the 1983 season and got the 15th overall pick in the draft.  They selected Faurot who was a total bust.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FaurRo20.htm

yep and todd is ranked no. 11.  just how does a guy ranked the no. 11 worst top ten draft pick manage to get traded for a no. 1 pick is beyond me.  or maybe the list is more than a little flawed.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

yep and todd is ranked no. 11.  just how does a guy ranked the no. 11 worst top ten draft pick manage to get traded for a no. 1 pick is beyond me.  or maybe the list is more than a little flawed.

I think it was only guys we took in the top 10. But , yes, Faurot was horrible. 

9 hours ago, section314 said:

You are missing one key point. None of those misses really set the team back much, if at all. Sanchez was taken 5th to be out FQB, and was gone in 4 years, and has been an abject failure every other stop along the way. We are in the QB hell we are in now largely because Sanchez was a bust. When you miss on a QB in round one, it kills you for years.

lololol didn't you root for sh*tzpatrick for months?? While he was a FA in 2016? 

9 hours ago, section314 said:

Just what you want from a QB you trade up to #5 for. Sanchez led to Geno, which led to Petty and Hack. See a pattern here? Sanchez killed us.

OMG as I'm reading your posts, it keeps getting better and better. Are you going to blame everything on Joe Namath sucking and us being in a QB search ever since? Cuz that's where it all started, innit?

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

Todd does not belong on that list.

And just think of some of the other 2nd and 3rd round gems over the years

Devin Smith

Kellen Clemons

Vlad Ducasse

Stephen Hill

Anthony “The boar hunter” Schleigal 

Dexter Mcdoogle

Hackenberg

Mike Nugent and kicker... LOL

Honorable mention for 1st roun - Quinton Couples

nice site for the complete list with career stats. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Sanchez didn't bust.  Again, please stop making me defend a player I don't like.

Sanchez was not developed by this organization (WE never made HIM better) and he was abused by Rex leading to his injury and requisite exit.

Sanchez could have been a better player if he played for a better run organization with a better Head Coach and O-Co.

Also, look at what we drafted at QB that year.  Stafford went ahead of Sanchez, then Sanchez, and the rest.....a horror show.  

Hence he is not an all-time bad pick.  And yes, many MANY of our post-Sanchez mistakes had nothing to do with him.

He was a bust.  We won despite him.  He will always be the "Butt Fumble".  He ruined that Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  Only game I ever saw him play in person was a MNF in Nashville where he turned the ball over 5 times.  Sanchez is and will always be a POS.

21 hours ago, Bugg said:

Thomas was killer because HoFer Emmett Smith was still on the board. 

Not to mention Cortez Kennedy who was the next pick. Plus, Junior Seau and Richmond Webb. Dick Steinberg's first draft was a complete disaster and when he selected WR Rob Moore in supplimental he cost the Jets Brett Favre because of no first round pick the next season.

19 hours ago, Pcola said:

As far as the worst draft picks, you have to say Brady over Sapp or B. Thomas over Emmitt Smith.  Even Milliner because we traded Revis.  These are just in the top 10.

If the Jets had taken Emmitt Smith he would not have become a HOFer. The Jets OL was terrible, and Smith was a one cut runner who hid behind the massive OL Dallas put together and was usually not touched until second level. On the Jets he would have been contacted at the line and gotten a few yards at a time. Blair Thomas was a victim of the Jets front office lack of foresight to build an OL for him and Ken O'Brien.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

If the Jets had taken Emmitt Smith he would not have become a HOFer. The Jets OL was terrible, and Smith was a one cut runner who hid behind the massive OL Dallas put together and was usually not touched until second level. On the Jets he would have been contacted at the line and gotten a few yards at a time. Blair Thomas was a victim of the Jets front office lack of foresight to build an OL for him and Ken O'Brien.

Thomas still had a chance to be something.  He had a great game against Chicago but a late fumble cost the Jets the game in OT.  He was never the same after that.  

I agree with your E. Smith point but it does illustrate that not only have the Jets been terrible at picking the RIGHT guys but also at developing any of them.  

Heck, it’s still a problem.  

And not to beat a dead horse, but do you know the last Pro Bowl player that the Jets drafted outside of the 1st round?  Not counting Leon Washington (punt returner) the last positional player to make the Pro Bowl for the Jets that they drafted outside of the 1st round was Mo Lewis in 2000.  Before him was Erik McMillan in 1989.

Thats disgusting.

Archived