Congrats to Jamal Adams.

UnitedWhofans

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

So then let me surprise you with a couple facts...  You know the number 1 position taken in the top 10 the last 5 years?  O-line.

In fact, 11 O-lineman have been taken in the top 10 which is the same amount as the combined  total of QB's and RB's taken.

I guess the NFL GM's aren't getting the memo that you're supposed to abandoned your draft board in favor of the "impact" player.

Guess how many wins the QB's taken in the top 10 have since 13'? 

3..  and 2 of them are the last 2 weeks from Blake Bortles

Is it possible to literally die from laughing? Asking for a friend

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

But LT is a premium position and Qbs take time to develop esp when on a sh*t team picking in the top 10

When's the last time you heard someone say that now that they found their tackle they should be a perennial contender.

Joe Thomas might be the best LT ever and he has like 8 career wins in 10 years.

14 minutes ago, HessStation said:

So if we're playing hindsight for more premium positions of need:

2017: Mahomes (10) Lattimore (11) Watson (12) Ramczyk (32)...picked 6

2016: Fuller (21) Treadwell (23) Smith (34)....picked 20

2015: Beasley (8) Gurley (10) Parker (14)....pick 6

2014: Cooks (20) Verrett (24) M Lee (39)...pick 19

wow, the Jets picked two strong safeties in the first round twice in four years. Actually Three if we want to count Lee. A DE they already had their two best players playing the position. Wonder why they suck

2015 and 2016, Outside of gurley, none of those other guys look very appealing right now. Beasley a little but he’s looking to be a 4-5 sack a year guy. 

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

2015 and 2016, Outside of gurley, none of those other guys look very appealing right now. Beasley a little but he’s looking to be a 4-5 sack a year guy. 

On Jaylon Smith https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-nfl-linebackers-by-pass-rush-productivity-through-week-10

Beasley was hurt with hamstring half the season and has already made All Pro.

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Heres a nugget for all you fact-lovers out there: 33 OL went in last years draft, only 10 QB’s. “passing league?”  you say.....hmmmm guess the NFL didnt get the memo from the National Nerd Alliance 

There are 5 linemen playing at a time, only 1 QB.

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

And Kirk Cousins never won a playoff game.

but he has shown an ability to play well in the NFL.  something Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen have yet to demonstrate.

I'll take the sure thing over the lotto ticket.

I would however take Darnold or Rosen over Cousins and deal with the growing pains but that's not possible without giving up too much.

Cousins + 6th pick and all our other picks >>> than Darnold, no 2nd rounders this year, and no first rounder next year.

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Heres a nugget for all you fact-lovers out there: 33 OL went in last years draft, only 10 QB’s. “passing league?”  you say.....hmmmm guess the NFL didnt get the memo from the National Nerd Alliance 

I'll take false equivalency for $1000, Alex.

29 minutes ago, Pac said:

So then let me surprise you with a couple facts...  You know the number 1 position taken in the top 10 the last 5 years?  O-line.

In fact, 11 O-lineman have been taken in the top 10 which is the same amount as the combined  total of QB's and RB's taken.

I guess the NFL GM's aren't getting the memo that you're supposed to abandoned your draft board in favor of the "impact" player.

Every one of those QB's was drafted before any offensive lineman was taken, except for Blake Bortles. Also pretty convenient that you went back to 2013, since that was the year five offensive linemen went in the top 10.

Mike Maccagnan could literally have Aaron Rodgers as his starting QB and Carson Wentz as his backup, with Jared Goff as his third QB, and if he was sitting at the draft with the #1 pick this year, the retard would stumble to the podium with Josh Rosen filled out on his card. He'd then start preaching about how he trusted his board and how he really likes Josh. Trading down to fill a need would never be on this moron's radar - just blindly fill in the card and that's that. 

At that point, he's literally the guy who never showed up for the fantasy football draft. He's literally on auto-draft at the actual draft.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Until recently, the Jets had nearly two decades of the "best center in the league."  Lot of good that did.

Despite not having a great QB during any o f his time here, Jets were in the playoffs a bunch of times during the Mangold/Dbrick Era.Before that, the signing of Mawae was the start of a pretty good run before that.  They were part of that. Would take Nick Mangold's career and match it up next to any top pick of Maccagnan, and would guess Mangold matches up pretty well to amy of them. In fact, made our OL a very good unit, along with Dbrick as a LT taken the same year, for a very long time. May be if you drafted a mobile QB (WATSON OR MAHOMES FOR EXAMPLE) an OL isn;t as critical. But Maccagnan hasn't really picked any OL guys,and the OL is terrible. Which is pArt of why the offense blows dead animals. PICK SAFETIES! 

40 minutes ago, gEYno said:

That's why I remember the interview.  They had a mega-boner about the safety, so I'm not sure a RB would have done it.  Also, Fournette would have had a rough year here, with this offensive line.

I'd advocated for it at the time, and I'd stick with it now.  Should have traded back if you weren't going to chance it on a QB.

Yeah that comment hitting the press felt damning. I read it after finding the Fournette visit and the disappointment creeped in. Here’s the piece on the Fournette visit:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2017/04/27/2017-nfl-draft-why-fournette-could-fit-jets/100979872/

with no Jets superlatives...This gd franchise. 

Only reason I don’t go with a trade down is that they didn’t really miss out hindsight taken out. The other DBs had louder red flags like injuries, MAYBE TJ Watt? Eh. 

41 minutes ago, Pac said:

It boggles the mind, Pac, how there could be more players selected at a position with 160 starters league-wide versus QB 32 and RB 32.

17 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Despite not having a great QB during any o f his time here, Jets were in the playoffs a bunch of times during the Mangold/Dbrick Era.Before that, the signing of Mawae was the start of a pretty good run before that.  They were part of that. Would take Nick Mangold's career and match it up next to any top pick of Maccagnan, and would guess Mangold matches up pretty well to amy of them. In fact, made our OL a very good unit, along with Dbrick as a LT taken the same year, for a very long time. May be if you drafted a mobile QB (WATSON OR MAHOMES FOR EXAMPLE) an OL isn;t as critical. But Maccagnan hasn't really picked any OL guys,and the OL is terrible. Which is pArt of why the offense blows dead animals. PICK SAFETIES! 

I don't mean that to knock Mangold at all.  He was a great player for us, a part of a great line, a solid contributor to some success, and a genuinely good dude.  I'm simply talking about positional value.  I think we'd have been better off keeping John Abraham, who had 5 double digit sack seasons since he left and in the 12 years since he's been gone, we've had 3 double digit sack performances, Wilk x2, and Pace.  All I'm saying is great pass-rusher and a solid center >>>> great center and solid (which it's hard to argue we've had) pass-rush. 

I always found it a little funny that Mawae’s backup on the Jets started two SBs for two different teams. Mawae was a complete and utter badass but that put C into perspective for me.  

Anyway, what’s the opinion on the kind of players Williams and Adams would be on a roster that passes and scores? Does it change anything about their numbers,  better or worse, etc 

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I don't mean that to knock Mangold at all.  He was a great player for us, a part of a great line, a solid contributor to some success, and a genuinely good dude.  I'm simply talking about positional value.  I think we'd have been better off keeping John Abraham, who had 5 double digit sack seasons since he left and in the 12 years since he's been gone, we've had 3 double digit sack performances, Wilk x2, and Pace.  All I'm saying is great pass-rusher and a solid center >>>> great center and solid (which it's hard to argue we've had) pass-rush. 

Hiring Herm was so dumb. Funny though Abraham ends up going to a 43 team and still dominating. He pissed me off with the nagging injury he wouldn't play through last year but still the only elite edge rusher the team has had in 30 years.

but also:❤️Mangold 

17 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Hiring Herm was so dumb. Funny though Abraham ends up going to a 43 team and still dominating. He pissed me off with the nagging injury he wouldn't play through last year but still the only elite edge rusher the team has had in 30 years.

but also:❤️Mangold 

Abraham also had the drinking issue. The DWI was really bad if memory serves. Yeah in retrospect probably the wrong move by Mangini- but he wasn’t going to be the difference in 2008 after Favre got hurt.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Abraham also had the drinking issue. The DWI was really bad if memory serves. Yeah in retrospect probably the wrong move by Mangini- but he wasn’t going to be the difference in 2008 after Favre got hurt.

Too many drugs (I did) wasn't it Herm regime who traded him?

33 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Abraham was a knucklehead, but a talented one, and one who played a premium position. So hard to argue with you on that.

Will never forget him getting sick in Oakland during a playoff game. 

46 minutes ago, gEYno said:

It boggles the mind, Pac, how there could be more players selected at a position with 160 starters league-wide versus QB 32 and RB 32.

This is why I only looked at the top 10.  Where you claimed teams need to find "impact" players.

Without me going back and getting the proof you think we can agree those 11 teams that picked o-lineman probably weren't set at QB, RB, WR, and sack master?

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

This is why I only looked at the top 10.  Where you claimed teams need to find "impact" players.

Without me going back and getting the proof you think we can agree those 11 teams that picked o-lineman probably weren't set at QB, RB, WR, and sack master?

As Tackles are the 5th highest paid position in the league, obviously GMs place a high value on it.  Maybe even “impact,” unlike safety, which is paid far less.

21 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Abraham was a knucklehead, but a talented one, and one who played a premium position. So hard to argue with you on that.

Will never forget him getting sick in Oakland during a playoff game. 

Sitting out the playoff game while Shaun Ellis was out there getting IV fluids to stay in the game was the end of Abraham here. No way you could bring him back. 

45 minutes ago, gEYno said:

As Tackles are the 5th highest paid position in the league, obviously GMs place a high value on it.  Maybe even “impact,” unlike safety, which is paid far less.

Salary is the least of it, and lumping strong and weak sides together in that respect is flawed anyways. Three positions get drafted first overall. Literally. That's it. For the past 20 years. Three positions. Quarterback. The guy who can hit the quarterback's blind side. Or the guy that can stop the guy from hitting the quarterback's blind side. If that doesn't sum up how teams prioritize positions I don't know what does.

Archived