Congrats to Jamal Adams.

UnitedWhofans

7 hours ago, Pac said:

I'm a fan of the Gang Green Goon Squad pontificating about Adams' lack of importance.  It's going to keep fueling this kid as he develops into a perennial pro-bowler and team leader.

Whine on haters..  whine on.

He isn't important. 

And you don't even champion mediocrity, you champion something worse.  You're in the camp that tries to argue that back to back 5-win seasons are somehow.....good.  And somehow, those who complain are "haters".  

You've been Stockholm Syndrome'd.  I pity you.  

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He isn't important. 

And you don't even champion mediocrity, you champion something worse.  You're in the camp that tries to argue that back to back 5-win seasons are somehow.....good.  And somehow, those who complain are "haters".  

You've been Stockholm Syndrome'd.  I pity you.  

Please tell me you don't believe a word of this.  There's now a camp of people who believe this?  Lol

16 hours ago, gEYno said:

As Tackles are the 5th highest paid position in the league, obviously GMs place a high value on it.  Maybe even “impact,” unlike safety, which is paid far less.

LT salary is misleading (as in lower than expected). Teams lock them up earlier - and the players accept this early payment - so they never hit free agency unless they’re old, injured, a general disappointment, or the team thinks they’ve drafted another stud LT. If this wasn’t commonplace the position would average $2m/year higher than it already is. 

Salaries go up every year, but the idea that Russell Okung would ever be the highest paid LT in the league is ridiculous, and was purely based on scarcity rather than his own production/history. 

So that’s why it matters where Adams was drafted. The 6th pick asset is too valuable to a team with as many higher-priority holes/needs as the 2017 Jets to use on a safety - any safety - (ditto Lee with the ‘16 Jets, and Leo in ‘15). These were all luxury picks for this team. We could make do without any of them, but back-to-back 5 win seasons show we couldn’t do without a real pass rusher, a QB, adequate players blocking for him, and adequate guys to man up on receivers.

17 hours ago, Pac said:

So which of these high impact guys taken 6th overall the last few years would you have liked?

Ronnie Stanley

Jake Matthews

Barkevious Mingo

Morris Claiborne (irony)

So will it be one of the pedestrian lineman, bust OLB, or the guy we now have?

They were the only options at #6 out of the 250+ players drafted, so good take Pac. 

14 hours ago, gEYno said:

I don't mean that to knock Mangold at all.  He was a great player for us, a part of a great line, a solid contributor to some success, and a genuinely good dude.  I'm simply talking about positional value.  I think we'd have been better off keeping John Abraham, who had 5 double digit sack seasons since he left and in the 12 years since he's been gone, we've had 3 double digit sack performances, Wilk x2, and Pace.  All I'm saying is great pass-rusher and a solid center >>>> great center and solid (which it's hard to argue we've had) pass-rush. 

The Abraham thing was fine. Abraham wanted to get paid and was not happy about the franchise tag.  Trading him for 4 years of rookie deal C and using the franchise pass rusher/Mawae money elsewhere was not bad at all.  The issue came later when Mangold was eating up $7-10M per.  Better off letting him walk and drafting the next one.  Pat Elflein cost around $800K this year, while we threw $2.75M at Wes Johnson. 

22 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Remember Erik McMillian? Lead league in INTs as a rookie and made the Pro Bowl, turns out he kind of sucked at every other aspect of being a safety and faded out of the league in a couple of years. 

Jamal Adams is a really good player already. Whether he evolves into a pro bow caliber safety, or not, will not be dependent solely on INTs.

Not sure even Pro Bowl provides value for picking safety at 6. All pro minimum ideally Ed Reed level. It's just not a valuable position unless you are that ball Hawking once a generation player

Much better to take a bust "impact" player at 6 than a good to potentially great safety.

Think of all the games we could have won with Corey Davis, Mike Williams, the white RB for the Panthers, or Jon Ross aka the HIGH IMPACTZ guys taken right around Adams.

Geniuses..  JN is full of geniuses.

18 hours ago, Pac said:

So then let me surprise you with a couple facts...  You know the number 1 position taken in the top 10 the last 5 years?  O-line.

In fact, 11 O-lineman have been taken in the top 10 which is the same amount as the combined  total of QB's and RB's taken.

I guess the NFL GM's aren't getting the memo that you're supposed to abandoned your draft board in favor of the "impact" player.

Guess how many wins the QB's taken in the top 10 have since 13'? 

3..  and 2 of them are the last 2 weeks from Blake Bortles

This is amazing...absolutely amazing.

...and we all know you were actually impressed with this and hit submit like a boss

31 minutes ago, Pac said:

Much better to take a bust "impact" player at 6 than a good to potentially great safety.

Think of all the games we could have won with Corey Davis, Mike Williams, the white RB for the Panthers, or Jon Ross aka the HIGH IMPACTZ guys taken right around Adams.

Christian McCaffery would have been the Jets leading receiver and had the most TD's on the team, as a rookie.

Keep it going Pac, this is your thread. 

41 minutes ago, Pac said:

Only if the only 2 options at 6 are that you will take a guaranteed bust or a safety.  That's what GM's and scouting departments get paid to do:  Pick non-busts in the draft, particularly EARLY in the draft. 

Making the "safe" pick gets you back to back 5-11 seasons and no elite players at actually important positions.  

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I think almost all are in agreement that Adams was a solid pick, whose grade is still debateable in hindsight (which is always 20/20).

The grade cannot be an A at least because they passed over a better player at a position equally in need but greater in value-CB in Lattimore.  

The Jets were also badly in need of a QB, so to truly grade the pick we have to see how Watson and Mahomes ultimately do.    A big negative for Watson was his durability, so the fact that he looked good for 7 games but then got spontaneously hurt is relevant to the overall draft evaluation.  

It is Mac's job to scout the players and figure out who is going to be successful in the NFL.  it is an art as much as it is a science.  But the Saints are in the NFCCG this weekend in large part because of the players that they have drafted over the last 3 years, not all of whom were clear cut cases.  They obviously did the work on those players.  The assistant GM of the Saints is Jeff Ireland, who worked with Parcells in Dallas and Miami.  

So the Saints have Mickey Loomis and Jeff Ireland in their front office.  The Jets have Mac.  We are so outgunned.  

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think almost all are in agreement that Adams was a solid pick, whose grade is still debateable in hindsight (which is always 20/20).

No, not even close.  The pick was an F.  You don't draft a box safety at 6.  I do not care what the "consensus" ranks or draft grades said.  

The grade cannot be an A at least because they passed over a better player at a position equally in need but greater in value-CB in Lattimore.

This is a call that gets made only with the gift of hindsight. Lattimore spent most of his college career hurt.  Otherwise, sure he was an excellent prospect but health and durability most definitely should be factors with a 6 pick. 

Watson otoh...

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sssshhhh.  You weren't supposed to know the name of the white RB on the Panthers.  His list had 3 TDs in the playoffs. 

A lot of good those tds did them.

The black Tennessee wrs first 2 of the year.

NFL:

Interchangeable safety with a sheriff's mentality. Adams is a physical tone-setter who should thrive near the line of scrimmage or in a robber role. Should be a commanding presence in the locker room early on and his do-as-I-do play demeanor could be the catalyst for turning a struggling defense around quickly.

I think he checked all those boxes in year one.  If he improves then sky's the limit.  Of course if he is in position for getting some TO's then more people will be happy.

3 hours ago, prime21 said:

NFL:

Interchangeable safety with a sheriff's mentality. Adams is a physical tone-setter who should thrive near the line of scrimmage or in a robber role. Should be a commanding presence in the locker room early on and his do-as-I-do play demeanor could be the catalyst for turning a struggling defense around quickly.

I think he checked all those boxes in year one.  If he improves then sky's the limit.  Of course if he is in position for getting some TO's then more people will be happy.

God forbid a safety is expected to produce turnovers.  What’s next? Edge rushers expecting to get sacks? The nerve of some people. 

And the reaction is exactly what I thought it would be.
"That organization sucks."
"THey were wrong."
Jets do something good, it's obviously not their own doing. 
The flying Beningos
But how did he do against Gronk and other good TE's?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I love Adams. He had a really good rookie year and is a guy to build upon. His downfall is being a safety taken so early on a team without even one impact player on offense in an offense league. It shouldn't be on Adams but the guy who used #6 on him. Unfortunately when you take a S that early the guy needs to end up being minimum Pro Bowl ceiling All Pro caliber. Adams might end up at least pro bowl if the team ever wins games. The defense was still ranked bottom half along with the offense and a 5-11 record so it's not a good look. But that's not Adams' fault. If they took him at #20 and the team was playoff caliber he'd be every fans favorite right now.

Archived