The anniversary of the divisional round BEATDOWN of the Pats

Patriot Killa

LOL...I was 14..15 years old and super naive boys..take it in..thought we were unstoppable at the time.  ....I obviously also couldn’t spell to save my life. Jesus.

that game had me feeling on top of the world.. I didn’t even watch the steeler game.. I was getting updates from a buddy when I was in the studio making music. We had pulled rabbits out of our asses all year from CLE to DET to HOU(Sanchez to Holmes in the back of the end zone..pretty pass..one of the few) but I figured we could do it with some time left on the clock down 19-24..

0F4FFF90-5A09-4450-9AD8-F7C5F1AFB1B2.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly that game had such dire consequences for the franchise I almost wish it never happened. Those playoff wins in ‘09 and ‘10 convinced too many people Mark Sanchez did not suck. So not only could Los Yets not pull off a SB with that guy when everything else about the team was ******* amazeballs, he would get rewarded with an extension because as the QB he was the face of all that success (Revis GOAT was too suwly). Obviously he goes on to somehow become an even worse player, the org scrambles for a half decade picking up pieces, and in two months they’ll have $100+ million in cap space for the trouble.

OTHERWISE it was amazing. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Honestly that game had such dire consequences for the franchise I almost wish it never happened. Those playoff wins in ‘09 and ‘10 convinced too many people Mark Sanchez did not suck. So not only could Los Yets not pull off a SB with that guy when everything else about the team was ******* amazeballs, he would get rewarded with an extension because as the QB he was the face of all that success (Revis GOAT was too suwly). Obviously he goes on to somehow become an even worse player, the org scrambles for a half decade picking up pieces, and in two months they’ll have $100+ million in cap space for the trouble.

The weird part is..he played his role as a decent game manager way better in those playoff games then in the regular season..not saying he’s some god for it..but 9 TD’s to 3 INT’s wasn’t terrible. To be honest..they really just limited him and tried to game plan around his turnover prone ass. Run heavy and surprise teams with the PA roll out. You seen a lot of that rather than them trusting Mark to make pro QB throws..he was terrible and but that defense was so damn great..it didn’t matter lol.

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Mark never held us back, the franchise changed after 2010 when we let go 2 of his top weapons and replaced them w/ guys that would be out of football after the season.  We lost both title games b/c our overrated D fell flat.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Mark never held us back, the franchise changed after 2010 when we let go 2 of his top weapons and replaced them w/ guys that would be out of football after the season.  We lost both title games b/c our overrated D fell flat.

#excusemaking101

#excusemaking101

Just because it’s an excuse doesn’t mean it’s not true. Sanchez was always good in playoff games, including the losses. The biggest problem is the franchise spent 2 yeas not developing him and rather protecting him from making mistakes that cost the team games. Then in 2011 they treated him like Aaron Rodgers, made poor personnel decisions (I.e. Derrick mason replacing Jericho crotchety and giving santonio a big contact). It’s sad to say but that win was the beginning of the end of that era

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Pretty meaningless win in the grand scheme of things. Funny thing about that game is they would have lost if Cromartie doesnt snag that onsides kick. The Pats scored twice in like a minute after the Green touchdown and the embarrassing celebration that cost the Jets 15 yards.

5 hours ago, tkiss24 said:

Just because it’s an excuse doesn’t mean it’s not true. Sanchez was always good in playoff games, including the losses. The biggest problem is the franchise spent 2 yeas not developing him and rather protecting him from making mistakes that cost the team games. Then in 2011 they treated him like Aaron Rodgers, made poor personnel decisions (I.e. Derrick mason replacing Jericho crotchety and giving santonio a big contact). It’s sad to say but that win was the beginning of the end of that era

Just because you want it to be true doesn't make it true. He never was more than a bottom 3rd QB.  Period, no excuses, no he didn't have WRx as a reason.  He wasnt better than bottom 3rd with Braylon, Santonio, Keller etc.  

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Sad that winning a divisional game 7 years ago is something worth celebrating. 

What's really funny about this is the large majority of Jets fans shrug off the 09-10 seasons like, "where is our back to back AFCC game trophies" and legit, the Jets will be lucky to ever repeat that success.  My dollar says they never do.

And now 10 years later, after the fact, we're celebrating a divisional round playoff win vs. a team who whipped their asses with the Jets for the last 20 years. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The biggest issue wasn't his weapons it was not keeping the O-line together.  That, to me, was the biggest failure of the Mike Tannenbaum era.  Not doing everything he could to keep those guys together.  

Do that and the team would have continued to be highly competitive.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty meaningless win in the grand scheme of things. Funny thing about that game is they would have lost if Cromartie doesnt snag that onsides kick. The Pats scored twice in like a minute after the Green touchdown and the embarrassing celebration that cost the Jets 15 yards.

huh? the Greene TD made it 28-14 w/ 1:41 to play, NE then scored against our prevent D w/ 24 secs left. even if NE gets the OS kick they have about 20 secs and 0 Tos needing a TD to tie it.

The Cro recovery was after the Pats FG to cut it to 21-14, Greene scored after the Cro recovery.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The biggest issue wasn't his weapons it was not keeping the O-line together.  That, to me, was the biggest failure of Mike Tannenbaum era.  Not doing everything he could to keep those guys together.  

Do that and the team would have continued to be highly competitive.

They still had decent OLs up through when mark left but yes the cracks were starting to show.

Tannenbaum built those teams, after 2011 he began retooling. Our biggest mistake was letting him go after 2012 and bringing in Idzik.  2012 and 2013 likely would have been lean still but we would have started competing again by 2014.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

LOL...I was 14..15 years old and super naive boys..take it in..thought we were unstoppable at the time.  ....I obviously also couldn’t spell to save my life. Jesus.

that game had me feeling on top of the world.. I didn’t even watch the steeler game.. I was getting updates from a buddy when I was in the studio making music. We had pulled rabbits out of our asses all year from CLE to DET to HOU(Sanchez to Holmes in the back of the end zone..pretty pass..one of the few) but I figured we could do it with some time left on the clock down 19-24..

0F4FFF90-5A09-4450-9AD8-F7C5F1AFB1B2.png

That was our last playoff win.....  

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

huh? the Greene TD made it 28-14 w/ 1:41 to play, NE then scored against our prevent D w/ 24 secs left. even if NE gets the OS kick they have about 20 secs and 0 Tos needing a TD to tie it.

The Cro recovery was after the Pats FG to cut it to 21-14, Greene scored after the Cro recovery.

They still had decent OLs up through when mark left but yes the cracks were starting to show.

Tannenbaum built those teams, after 2011 he began retooling. Our biggest mistake was letting him go after 2012 and bringing in Idzik.  2012 and 2013 likely would have been lean still but we would have started competing again by 2014.

Jesus ..idk who is worse you or SAR 1 ..are y’all the same person? 

TANNY TRADED ALL OUR HIGH DRAFT PICKS.

and aside from a decent 2006-2008 drafts that set our O-line and Defense up.. he has brilliant picks like Scotty McKnight on his resume. Are you kidding me? Bloated contracts and wasted picks. At least Macc creates escape hatches in his contracts . We signed Mark Sanchez to an extension...that alone warrants firing.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jesus ..idk who is worse you or SAR 1 ..are y’all the same person? 

TANNY TRADED ALL OUR HIGH DRAFT PICKS.

and aside from a decent 2006-2008 drafts that set our O-line and Defense up.. he has brilliant picks like Scotty McKnight on his resume. Are you kidding me? Bloated contracts and wasted picks. At least Macc creates escape hatches in his contracts . We signed Mark Sanchez to an extension...that alone warrants firing.

and he drafted a HOF player, a franchise LT, a borderline HOF C, etc...  he built teams that were real contenders from 2008-2011.  we had 4 real shots at SBs, how many times in our history can we say that?  would you prefer drafting 35 players like BP did from 1997-1999 and having 4-5 stick?

Mark deserved that extension, where we went wrong w/ Mark was removing all the talent around him.  Tanny was going to get to that post 2012 but never got the chance and Idzik set this franchise back at least 5 years.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

and he drafted a HOF player, a franchise LT, a borderline HOF C, etc...  he built teams that were real contenders from 2008-2011.  we had 4 real shots at SBs, how many times in our history can we say that?  would you prefer drafting 35 players like BP did from 1997-1999 and having 4-5 stick?

Mark deserved that extension, where we went wrong w/ Mark was removing all the talent around him.  Tanny was going to get to that post 2012 but never got the chance and Idzik set this franchise back at least 5 years.

a four year window of success is not a contender. They were a 5 and a 6 seed and havent been back since. Nothing was built.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

a four year window of success is not a contender. They were a 5 and a 6 seed and havent been back since. Nothing was built.

yes b/c he did botch the QB move in 2008, if we keep Chad we win the division and have a real SB shot but the other years Brady was healthy and you are always playing for 2nd when Brady is healthy yet in 2009 and 2010 we advanced further than Brady including beating Brady on his homefield in the div rd. he gave us multiple chances to get to SBs, we came close but couldn't quite get over the hump. it sure beats what we have seen since he left.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes b/c he did botch the QB move in 2008, if we keep Chad we win the division and have a real SB shot but the other years Brady was healthy and you are always playing for 2nd when Brady is healthy yet in 2009 and 2010 we advanced further than Brady including beating Brady on his homefield in the div rd. he gave us multiple chances to get to SBs, we came close but couldn't quite get over the hump. it sure beats what we have seen since he left.

what? Chad was done by 2009. He couldnt complete a forward pass against Baltimore in Miami's playoff game.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

what? Chad was done by 2009. He couldnt complete a forward pass against Baltimore in Miami's playoff game.

Chad 2008 took  a 1 win Miami team from 2007 to 11 wins and a div title while we watched the iron man not be able to get it done for us.  Chad stays we easily win that division and have a chance to make a SB run.

Just now, nyjunc said:

Chad 2008 took  a 1 win Miami team from 2007 to 11 wins and a div title while we watched the iron man not be able to get it done for us.  Chad stays we easily win that division and have a chance to make a SB run.

Pennington couldnt complete a pass against the Ravens in the playoffs. Wasnt that the wildcat year? Either way, the 08 Jets were built via a spending spree and not set up for any sort of sustainable success.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Pennington couldnt complete a pass against the Ravens in the playoffs. Wasnt that the wildcat year? Either way, the 08 Jets were built via a spending spree and not set up for any sort of sustainable success.

do you remember who his Wrs were?

they were built via the draft, FA and trades.  They had a 4 year window. 

Year 1 we got Favre'd

year 2 we had 2nd half lead in title game

year 3 we had a chance at the end of the title game

year 4 we blew it down the stretch in reg season

Just because you want it to be true doesn't make it true. He never was more than a bottom 3rd QB.  Period, no excuses, no he didn't have WRx.  He wasnt better than bottom 3rd with Braylon, Santonio, Keller etc.  

Again, they did very little to develop him. Are you saying the red yellow green lights counted as development? I would disagree. How is it that Sanchez completed 55% of his passes as a jet and then he goes to philly and completes 64%? I’m not saying Sanchez would have or could have been a hall of famer but had he been developed properly he could have been better

8 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Well the extension was an pathetic apology from MT to mark after they tried to ditch him for Peyton Manning. Apparently Sanchez was actually “butthurt “ by the jets wanting to replace him with a top 5 all time qb ?

Archived