Washington State QB Tyler Hilinski DOA

jetsons

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/college/article/Washington-State-QB-Tyler-Hilinski-found-dead-12503120.php

PULLMAN, Wash. (AP) — Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinski has died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The 21-year-old Hilinski was discovered in his apartment after he didn't show up for practice Tuesday. A rifle "was recovered next to Hilinski and a suicide note was found," according to the Pullman Police Department.

"We are deeply saddened to hear the news of Tyler's passing," Washington State coach Mike Leach said in a statement. "He was an incredible young man and everyone who had the privilege of knowing him was better for it. The entire WSU community mourns as thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

Hilinski was the presumptive starting quarterback going into next season. He started Washington State's Holiday Bowl loss to Michigan State after Luke Falk was unable to play due to a wrist injury.

"The tragic news today surrounding Tyler Hilinski is devastating to all. Tyler was a tremendous individual, great friend and teammate, and he will be deeply missed. Our hearts go out to his family and friends," interim athletic director John Johnson said. "Earlier tonight, the football team was brought together and informed of the tragedy. There, they were met by campus and department counseling and psychological services, including athletics' on-staff clinical psychologist and a licensed mental health counselor, along with WSU Athletics medical team. The university will continue to coordinate and provide ongoing counseling care for all student-athletes as long as needed."

Hilinski appeared in eight games during his sophomore season, throwing for 1,176 yards and seven touchdowns. His most memorable outing came in the second week of the season when he led Washington State from a 21-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat Boise State 47-44 in triple overtime. Hilinski threw for 240 yards and three touchdowns coming off the bench, and was carried off the field after the victory.

His only start came in the bowl game against Michigan State, although he played extensively in a loss to Arizona.

R.I.P. :(

Absolutely horrible.  This one hits way too close for me. 

I struggle with my own demons.  Major Depression.  GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder).  OCD.  Those are the diagnosed ones at least.  Mental health is so important.  Too many people, younger or older, suffer in silence, and a lot of that is due to the stigma still surrounding Mental Health Issues.  Thankfully, things are getting better in that area though.  Corey Hirsch, a former NHL goalie, wrote a beautiful piece on this topic in The Player's Tribune last year that not only explains what it's like to deal with Mental Health Issues, but what it's like to deal with them as an athlete.  It's an absolutely fantastic and insightful read:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/corey-hirsch-dark-dark-dark/.  

RIP Tyler...prayers out to the family and loved ones.  I can't imagine what they are going through right now.  If any of you are dealing with anything like this...my PMs are always open.  You are not alone.  I've been there.  I'm still there at times if I'm being totally honest.  There is a light at the end of that tunnel though, even if you can't always see it.

14 minutes ago, BigO said:

A lot of people think this is the easy way out. Nothing further from the truth. The amount of pain someone is suffering to do this cannot be calculated. Get help. It’s out there

?  ?  ? 

Unfortunately, the help that exists for people who can't afford to pay out of pocket is limited, and continues to become more and more limited as time goes on.  Not only that, but the quality of low-cost care continues to go down as well.  It's a shame, because a lot of people who want care can't actually get it.

27 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Unfortunately, the help that exists for people who can't afford to pay out of pocket is limited, and continues to become more and more limited as time goes on.  Not only that, but the quality of low-cost care continues to go down as well.  It's a shame, because a lot of people who want care can't actually get it.

Mental health field are full of fools. Many get into it because they’ve gone through a lot of turmoil in their own lives and think they can help others but they really haven’t worked on their own issues.  It’s like the blind leading the blind. They are resources out there that are free: internet hellp groups, church groups, 12 step groups targeting specific illnesses. A guy like Mogglez, what he just shared, can be an invaluable resource to others. Seek and you shall find. Pray if you’re so inclined. Peace ✌️ 

21 minutes ago, BigO said:

Mental health field are full of fools. Many get into it because they’ve gone through a lot of turmoil in their own lives and think they can help others but they really haven’t worked on their own issues.  It’s like the blind leading the blind. They are resources out there that are free: internet hellp groups, church groups, 12 step groups targeting specific illnesses. A guy like Mogglez, what he just shared, can be an invaluable resource to others. Seek and you shall find. Pray if you’re so inclined. Peace ✌️ 

As valuable as Mogglez post is may be, it's also dangerous to make a post categorizing an entire field as "full of fools."  There are plenty of "fools" who are lawyers, accountants, chefs, stock brokers, salesmen, strippers, etc.  Absolutely, there are people in the mental health who enter to work out their own demons, but there are plenty more who haven't.  The problem with access to quality care is a systemic one.  And, to discredit an entire field, in favor of posts on the internet, only serves to further discourage those in need of help from actually looking for it, no?

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

As valuable as Mogglez post is may be, it's also dangerous to make a post categorizing an entire field as "full of fools."  There are plenty of "fools" who are lawyers, accountants, chefs, stock brokers, salesmen, strippers, etc.  Absolutely, there are people in the mental health who enter to work out their own demons, but there are plenty more who haven't.  The problem with access to quality care is a systemic one.  And, to discredit an entire field, in favor of posts on the internet, only serves to further discourage those in need of help from actually looking for it, no?

No. Because I wasn’t being absolute. I’m talking from experience and also from being in this field. Knowledge is a fickle thing. There’s the intellectual approach and experintial which Mogglez described.  Don’t underestimate the experiential.  To be clear, I’m not discouraging anyone from seeking help in favor of this or that so I’d appreciate you don’t pigeon hole me in this sensitive situation. Perhaps you misunderstood my point. If anything, I’m bringing light to what I see people go through day in day out. Where there’s hope there is solution. It can get very confusing and overwhelming to those seeking help and not getting it from the sources they’ve been led to.  Keep looking keep searching never give up.

6 minutes ago, BigO said:

No. Because I wasn’t being absolute. I’m talking from experience and also from being in this field. Knowledge is a fickle thing. There’s the intellectual approach and experintial which Mogglez described.  Don’t underestimate the experiential.  To be clear, I’m not discouraging anyone from seeking help in favor of this or that so I’d appreciate you don’t pigeon hole me in this sensitive situation. Perhaps you misunderstood my point. If anything, I’m bringing light to what I see people go through day in day out. Where there’s hope there is solution. It can get very confusing and overwhelming to those seeking help and not getting it from the sources they’ve been led to.  Keep looking keep searching never give up.

Perhaps I did misunderstand you point and I responded because perhaps I'm not the only one who might.  I'm grateful for a productive exchange.

25 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Perhaps I did misunderstand you point and I responded because perhaps I'm not the only one who might.  I'm grateful for a productive exchange.

Appreciate it. Just to be totally honest, I’m one of those ‘fools’ myself.  We can only try to Do the best we can. 

It's so hard to get mental health help. Whenever I called to get an appointment to see a therapist, I would get discouraged by the 3 month wait. I called my insurance provider and said that while I have no plans to kill myself, I don't have plans not to kill myself either. They got me an appointment within days.

As someone who has contemplated suicide many times, I can tell you that you would NEVER know unless I told you. It's hard to help someone when you don't know that someone needs help. 

58 minutes ago, gEYno said:

33 minutes ago, BigO said:

Appreciate it. Just to be totally honest, I’m one of those ‘fools’ myself.  We can only try to Do the best we can. 

Ok both of you guys do me next!! My turn!! 

(And you two psycho-pervs can start by skipping over the knee jerk idea that "do me" is a Freudian Slip, because it's not. It's entirely and consciously purposeful).

Depression and suicidal thoughts don't care who you are. There is no single type of person who gets them. It can hit people in all walks of life at anytime. The thoughts can be overwhelming, and especially bad if you don't have anyone to talk to.

If you're reading this and fighting those same thoughts; please don't give up.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

1-800-273-8255

It's hard for a mind that's not well to fix a mind that's not well. It's said that 20% of all Americans are afflicted with some form of mental health condition

Public awareness that there are viable solutions to emotional and brain chemistry issues is the first step to getting some fixes 

I work in the drug/alcohol rehab field that see's the product of untreated or more often self-treated mental health issues.

We have staff to assess and treat - but I've heard this organization can provide some guidance to those wanting help or at least be used as a starting point:

https://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/January-2018/The-First-Step-in-Getting-Mental-Health-Care

https://www.nami.org/mentalhealthcareprofessionals

You don't have to go back that far in history to where there was little understanding of these issues and less ability to diagnose and treat them. 

Not the case today - and with continued support and awareness more people can lead good lives that would have been in emotional or real lock-up before. 

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Dad died a suicide.

Mom's tried a dozen+ times.

Youngest brother, same.

Suicide sucks.  Depression sucks.  Mental Illness sucks.

Nuff' said.

Wow man I am so sorry to read this...Hope everybody is ok and have found treatment / help for the illness that causes that desire..

As a parent of kids at college this story is any parents worst nightmare. Probably why I drive my kids nuts calling them all the time. They say, “ Dad Just text.” I say,” No, wanna hear you talk.” They say,” You have heard me talk a million times.” I say, “ I know.” They say,” Ugh.” I say, “Love you.”  Then they sigh and say “ ok Dad.”  We hang up then I say,” That’s right and don’t forget it!”  Im not sure I’m doing it right but that’s what I do. 

On 1/17/2018 at 4:15 AM, Mogglez said:

Absolutely horrible.  This one hits way too close for me. 

I struggle with my own demons.  Major Depression.  GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder).  OCD.  Those are the diagnosed ones at least.  Mental health is so important.  Too many people, younger or older, suffer in silence, and a lot of that is due to the stigma still surrounding Mental Health Issues.  Thankfully, things are getting better in that area though.  Corey Hirsch, a former NHL goalie, wrote a beautiful piece on this topic in The Player's Tribune last year that not only explains what it's like to deal with Mental Health Issues, but what it's like to deal with them as an athlete.  It's an absolutely fantastic and insightful read:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/corey-hirsch-dark-dark-dark/.  

RIP Tyler...prayers out to the family and loved ones.  I can't imagine what they are going through right now.  If any of you are dealing with anything like this...my PMs are always open.  You are not alone.  I've been there.  I'm still there at times if I'm being totally honest.  There is a light at the end of that tunnel though, even if you can't always see it.

Thanks for sharing.  Takes courage to do that.  Whether you see it or not there are people who care about you and maybe that's something that this young man from Washington didn't see.

Well, not the Jets....they don't care about any of us based on what they subject us to. lol  But we do care for each other!

Archived