Going Out On a Limb: The Jets need more explosive athletes, preferably with multiple and/or outstanding skill/s and through the draft.

SenorGato

6 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I guess the opposite of this is to find solid football players, with football smarts, who produce and consider measurable secondarily.  Quite frankly I think you can find examples where each of these philosophies has worked out.  

The problem with that is you might end up drafting The Boar Hunter

There's no magic bullet, but in today's game it looks like drafting freakish athletes who love football is a good way to go.

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is a huge problem, but I don’t see it getting fixed. The QB metrics are as simple and straightforward as you can get, and these mutts threw them overboard so they could spend a 2 on Christian ******* Haceknberg. 

Incidentally, the one great athlete they’ve drafted is Lee, who was a 90+ percentile SPARQ guy IIRC, but who is also utterly clueless on the field.

True but I think Lee's problems mostly stem from size necessary for position (if he put up similar % with 20 more lbs, who knows) and mentality (not aggressive enough taking on blocks). Two things that aren't captured by SPARQ and need to be determined by scouts. 

11 hours ago, BigO said:

I’m going out on a limb and say the same thing has been said a billion times on here by numerous posters in less than 15 words. Get impact athletes with your high picks at the critical positions: QB, LT, Edge, CB 

geyno, sperm, TomShane, Jetfan80, Maxman, dmbatesman, Rutgers, fantasy island, Slats, Crusher, Sar I, joewillie12, peebag and on and on and on........join the club.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but there's no way I'd belong to a club of people who could get a point across in less than 15 words.

15 paragraphs, maybe.

15 chapters, more likely.

15 words...not so much.

13 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is a huge problem, but I don’t see it getting fixed. The QB metrics are as simple and straightforward as you can get, and these mutts threw them overboard so they could spend a 2 on Christian ******* Haceknberg. 

Incidentally, the one great athlete they’ve drafted is Lee, who was a 90+ percentile SPARQ guy IIRC, but who is also utterly clueless on the field.

Yeah sadly I was for the Lee pick on this basis. I did throw in that of course he’s 230 and not 250 and of course he was a non-pass rusher because Jets. 

Jenkins is another one where they got traits but not the total package. 38” vert and a solid enough 10’1” broad with long arms and massive hands but nothing else including just 19 sacks in 4 years of college. 

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but there's no way I'd belong to a club of people who could get a point across in less than 15 words.

15 paragraphs, maybe.

15 chapters, more likely.

15 words...not so much.

Writing sentences with exactly fifteen words in them is actually much harder than it appears.

Archived