And this should be our new O.C.

jetspenguin

If we are gonna fire our current OC, this is a great choice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000907515/article/todd-haley-will-not-return-as-pittsburgh-steelers-oc

Todd Haley is out in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers are allowing their offensive coordinator to walk, sources told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on Wednesday. Technically, it's not a firing as Haley's contract expired after the season, bringing his successful six-year run with the team to an end.

So what's next for the Steelers? Rapoport was told that quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner is "considered the favorite" to replace Haley. Fichtner is close with both Roethlisberger and offensive line coach Mike Munchak, who declined a second interview for the head-coaching vacancy in Arizona.Roethlisberger, but the duo struggled to get along.

"The relationship has been strained so much," Rapoport noted Wednesday on NFL Network, that the Steelers were forced to bring Fichtner down to the sideline "to serve as a conduit" between Big Ben and Haley. Their union stood in sharp contrast to the one Roethlisberger shared with close friend and former coordinator Bruce Arians.

Haley's departure comes one day after Roethlisberger revealed during his radio show that he wasn't allowed to audible out of Haley's play calls, saying that rule came directly from Tomlin.

"I have asked for it. I am fine with it. If they want to call it, I'm all for it," Roethlisberger told NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala.

Perhaps that will change in a post-Haley world, with Big Ben operating as one of the most experienced signal-callers league-wide.

It's unclear where Haley -- the former Chiefs coach -- will wind up, but these guys always seem to land on their feet. He'll find work soon enough.

Does he comes with Ben R? Anotnio Brown? Leveon Bell?

No?

Then no thanks. Those are 3 players that make every coach around them look good. We can do better. Actually, we have done better with Morton. How about we just keep the guy that got great production out of a cast of bums?

Just now, Integrity28 said:

No?

Then no thanks. Those are 3 players that make every coach around them look good. We can do better. Actually, we have done better with Morton. How about we just keep the guy that got great production out of a cast of bums?

Exactly.  I'm not saying he's not a good OC but when you have stars like that, things can look pretty good for you.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

No?

Not necessarily against morton but his numbers in every major category were not so hot. Even though most of us were impressed with what he got out of them at the end of the day the offense wasnt so great. 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No?

What if he came with Cousins Bell and Robinson?

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Rather have the continuity of Morton, plus those players.

Also think Morton comes across as capable of growing into a HC. Bowles is a lost cause. So... yea.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Rather have the continuity of Morton, plus those players.

Also think Morton comes across as capable of growing into a HC. Bowles is a lost cause. So... yea.

Really? The admitting of "throwing the white flag" vs. Denver I think will be a stain on his resume. 

It's like the first rule of fight club: There is NO Fight Club

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

So we can end up just like the FA splurges of '08 and '15 and STILL have no hardware in the end  and in CAP HELL that leads to payroll slashes the following 3 years? HARD Pass

20 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

If we are gonna fire our current OC, this is a great choice

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000907515/article/todd-haley-will-not-return-as-pittsburgh-steelers-oc

Todd Haley is out in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers are allowing their offensive coordinator to walk, sources told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on Wednesday. Technically, it's not a firing as Haley's contract expired after the season, bringing his successful six-year run with the team to an end.

So what's next for the Steelers? Rapoport was told that quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner is "considered the favorite" to replace Haley. Fichtner is close with both Roethlisberger and offensive line coach Mike Munchak, who declined a second interview for the head-coaching vacancy in Arizona.Roethlisberger, but the duo struggled to get along.

"The relationship has been strained so much," Rapoport noted Wednesday on NFL Network, that the Steelers were forced to bring Fichtner down to the sideline "to serve as a conduit" between Big Ben and Haley. Their union stood in sharp contrast to the one Roethlisberger shared with close friend and former coordinator Bruce Arians.

Haley's departure comes one day after Roethlisberger revealed during his radio show that he wasn't allowed to audible out of Haley's play calls, saying that rule came directly from Tomlin.

"I have asked for it. I am fine with it. If they want to call it, I'm all for it," Roethlisberger told NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala.

Perhaps that will change in a post-Haley world, with Big Ben operating as one of the most experienced signal-callers league-wide.

It's unclear where Haley -- the former Chiefs coach -- will wind up, but these guys always seem to land on their feet. He'll find work soon enough.

bring todd back?  why not.  i don't see where what roethlisberger said about qb sneak audibles has anything to do with haley being released.

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No?

On offense I back this statement 100 % .... Defense is a little different but thats another story :)

With that being said Morton did a hell of a lot this year with a rag tag bunch and a career below average QB Imagine what he could do if we add Kirk Cousins and a dynamic RB via the draft or even a Laveon Bell

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

On offense I back this statement 100 % .... Defense is a little different but thats another story :)

With that being said Morton did a hell of a lot this year with a rag tag bunch and a career below average QB Imagine what he could do if we add Kirk Cousins and a dynamic RB via the draft or even a Laveon Bell

Let someone else pay Leveon. He never plays a full season. I'm of the school of thought that you don't give RBs their 3rd contract if you're a decently run org.

Draft a RB, QB and WR. Go to FA to round out the defense, also draft a QB.

In a nutshell:

• Sign Kirk Cousins 
  • Sign Jarvis Landry
  • Sign Carlos Hyde or Rex Burkhead
  • Sign Morris Claiborne
  • Sign Malcolm Butler
  • Sign Ziggy Ansah 
  • Trade back 3-5 spots in R1, Draft Quentin Nelson
  • R2 Draft Luke Falk
  • R2 Draft Sony Michel (or one of the other excellent RBs in this draft, with pick acquired in trade back)
  • R2 Draft Harold Landry or one of the CBs

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Let someone else pay Leveon. He never plays a full season. I'm of the school of thought that you don't give RBs their 3rd contract if you're a decently run org.

In a nutshell:

• Sign Kirk Cousins 
  • Sign Jarvis Landry
  • Sign Morris Claiborne
  • Sign Malcolm Butler
  • Sign Ziggy Ansah 
  • R2 Draft Luke Falk
  • R2 Draft Sony Michel (or one of the other excellent RBs in this draft, with pick acquired in trade back)

Yep I should have used Bell as an example because I would much rather draft a RB . I like what you are saying here but I might change a player or two I would go for Jensen for one and draft a RB in round 1 of the draft Sony might go late round 1

35 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

So we can end up just like the FA splurges of '08 and '15 and STILL have no hardware in the end  and in CAP HELL that leads to payroll slashes the following 3 years? HARD Pass

You're right. Leave out Bell. Everything else is fine. 

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

In a nutshell:

• Sign Kirk Cousins 
  • Sign Jarvis Landry
  • Sign Morris Claiborne
  • Sign Malcolm Butler
  • Sign Ziggy Ansah 
  • R2 Draft Luke Falk

Marry me

He strikes me as an odd person. He looks like he has major anger issues, plus his incidents at the bars, his off relationship with Roethlisberger. I’d just stay away and continue with what he have. 

He also made some awful calls. 

I think Morton had a good 1st year considering what he was working with. This team needs some consistency and bouncing HC, OC, DC's around every year or two doesn't accomplish that. With his virgin voyage as an OC under his belt I think he will be even better next season.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

No?

Yeah. Kinda like changing your oil filter when the damn car is on fire.

5 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Not necessarily against morton but his numbers in every major category were not so hot. Even though most of us were impressed with what he got out of them at the end of the day the offense wasnt so great. 

Exaaaaactly. Nice to see the organization make a good, tough decision clearly based on advanced metrics. 

Yes please to Haley and not so long after sign Cousins and Bell 

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Yep I should have used Bell as an example because I would much rather draft a RB . I like what you are saying here but I might change a player or two I would go for Jensen for one and draft a RB in round 1 of the draft Sony might go late round 1

Yea, I follow - honestly, I haven't done any research on prospects. I was just looking at the first mock I came across to get a sense of who is available when in the draft. Take it with a grain of salt.

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Haley is nothing special the highlight of his career is telling Roethlisberger to throw to Antonio Brown.  Pass.

He’s been regarded as one of the best OC’s in the business for over a decade now and has HC experience.

Runs a balanced offense and loves to take shots downfield.

You’re telling me that you prefer Morton to that?

Just now, Untouchable said:

He’s been regarded as one of the best OC’s in the business for over a decade now and has HC experience.

Runs a balanced offense and loves to take shots downfield.

You’re telling me that you prefer Morton to that?

Highly regarded by who?  Rothlisberger doesn’t even like him and threatened to retire last year.  What has he done that is so great besides tell Ben to throw to Antonio?

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Highly regarded by who?  Rothlisberger doesn’t even like him and threatened to retire last year.  What has he done that is so great besides tell Ben to throw to Antonio?

Highly regarded by pretty much everyone

Find me something that Roethlisberger doesn’t constantly bitch about. He’s the biggest diva at the position, hands down. He’s been throwing guys like Tomlin and Haley under the bus for years now despite Haley consistently orchestrating Top 5 offenses.

I don’t give a rats ass about him being a dick who can rub some people the wrong way. I care about results. Besides, hasn’t this fanbase been begging for hardass disciplinarian coaches for years now? 

Haley certainly fits the bill and has the resume to back it up.

Archived