Mike Westhoff

Smashmouth

Take Mike Westhoff and make him the next Tom Coughlin.

Mike Westhoff - Executive Vice President of Football Operations

Guys like this have a great eye for talent and know the game inside and out. Westhoff is a smart no nonsense type guy, exactly the type of guy the Jets should have running their organization. Having guys like Macc and especially Todd Bowles running the entire show does not work. They need someone who knows what their doing above them to evaluate not the Johnsons. 

This type of move would turn our organization around very quickly and if it were done sooner Todd Bowles would be out of a job and Macc would have someone to consult with who actually knows WTF is going on.

Even if you don't agree with Westhoff do you agree with the option I present ? Would you pick a different guy ?

Just now, k-met57 said:

so you want to put a career special teams coach in charge of our general manager and head coach? umm yeah no. I like Westhoff as much as anyone but give me a break...Coughlin is an all time great SB winning coach.

Westhoff knows the game of football and always feilded superior ST units which is not an easy task. Managing while knowing the game is much more than just calling someone a ST coach as if they don't count for some reason. 

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Guys like this have a great eye for talent and know the game inside and out. Westhoff is a smart no nonsense type guy, exactly the type of guy the Jets should have running their organization. Having guys like Macc and especially Todd Bowles running the entire show does not work. They need someone who knows what their doing above them to evaluate not the Johnsons. 

This type of move would turn our organization around very quickly and if it were done sooner Todd Bowles would be out of a job and Macc would have someone to consult with who actually knows WTF is going on.

Even if you don't agree with Westhoff do you agree with the option I present ? Would you pick a different guy ?

I love the idea of a football czar, I just don’t know of any evidence suggesting Westhoff in particular has a “great eye for talent.”

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo it would be great if westoff was back with the jets.  would he be a good vp of operations?  no telling.  there's a reason why he was a special teams coach for so long.

yep because he was good. Do you take one of the best ST coaches ever to walk the sidelines and make him a DC or OC ? Kind of a grey area if you ask me. Either way Westhoff is a no nonsense type guy and the perfect guy to run an organization if you ask me. He strikes me as a guy who does not settle for the bullsh*t a guy like Todd Bowles settles for just look at his track record of horrible game management and losing locker rooms

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I love the idea of a football czar, I just don’t know of any evidence suggesting Westhoff in particular has a “great eye for talent.”

You may very well be right but each and every year Westhoff had to field a unit with leftovers that were on the bubble and he always succeeded that alone tells me he can spot talent since his units always played well when was the last time the Jets had a return of any kind ?

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You may very well be right but each and every year Westhoff had to field a unit with leftovers that were on the bubble and he always succeeded that alone tells me he can spot talent since his units always played well when was the last time the Jets had a return of any kind ?

I like where your head's at, but this is a bit of a reach, amigo.

No. There is is kind of a leap of faith. He has no personnel experience, no head coaching experience on this level or in college I believe, no management experience and had never been in a position to pick offensive or defensive players or put together a team. I LOVE Westy but........

Pass 

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I like where your head's at, but this is a bit of a reach, amigo.

thats cool I can see where you are coming from as well but I think you would agree the position needs to be made and filled so who would you pick since I know you won't say Woody :)

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

No. There is is kind of a leap of faith. He has no personnel experience, no head coaching experience on this level or in college I believe, no management experience and had never been in a position to pick offensive or defensive players or put together a team. I LOVE Westy but........

Pass 

usually when a football guy gets a job hes never done the job before especially when we constantly see assistants get promoted to OC and DC and OC and DC promoted to HC who else is going to fill a VP of operations ? and who cares really about personel experience we're talking football here. When was the last time Tom Coughlin was VP of Operations ?

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's a shame we didn't make Tom Coughlin the next Tom Coughlin when we had the chance.

I like the train of thought though. I could see Arians doing something like this too. 

So we have Arians Parcells Westhoff all capable IMHO 

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

usually when a football guy gets a job hes never done the job before especially when we constantly see assistants get promoted to OC and DC and OC and DC promoted to HC who else is going to fill a VP of operations ? and who cares really about personel experience we're talking football here. When was the last time Tom Coughlin was VP of Operations ?

RIGHT!! you proved my point better than I could. We see assistants get promoted to OC and DC...you ever seen a guy bypass OC, DC, GM and go straight to VP of football operations? and that's a HUGE part of a VP of OPS responsibilities, he will have to be responsible for PERSONNEL. 

The reason nobody ever made a move like that in the history of the NFL is because there is a risk factor and a move like that would be on the far end near the lunacy mark. Coughlin had numerous positions up the chain of command including DC, multiple head coaching jobs where he was successful and TWO superbowl victories. We cant seriously be comparing Coughlin's career with Westy's right?  

24 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Is this a serious post?

Maybe Westhoff should, I don't know, be a Head Coach first? 

The man has no relevant experience for the job.  None.

I like the Cane too, but seriously?  smh. 

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

thats cool I can see where you are coming from as well but I think you would agree the position needs to be made and filled so who would you pick since I know you won't say Woody :)

I honestly don't know. Part of the problem is that there are so few of those guys left these days. I fear Coughlin might have been the last one.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is this a serious post?

Maybe Westhoff should, I don't know, be a Head Coach first? 

The man has no relevant experience for the job.  None.

I like the Cane too, but seriously?  smh. 

Yep its pretty serious and this is Football not JP Morgan Chase. What do you think it takes to run Football operations Exactly ?? 

Rams Hire a 31 year old coach who turns around organization from Idiot Jeff Fisher WTF were they thinking ?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

On Dee Milliner:

"Man, I'm not sure he's the best cornerback up here in Cortland. And I might include the university."

telling it like it is .... Westhoff always appealed to me from when I saw him on HBO addressing the players. 

But my god football is so complicated how can a guy who has spent 40+ years at the craft possibly know how the **** it all works ??

34 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

@Warfish I can understand if you don't think Westhoff is the guy others feel the same way but you should read the bold Im not trying to set the guy in stone but his attitude seems to fit the bill IMHO if not so in your's who do you suggest ?

Archived