Mike Westhoff

Smashmouth

23 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

yep because he was good. Do you take one of the best ST coaches ever to walk the sidelines and make him a DC or OC ? Kind of a grey area if you ask me. Either way Westhoff is a no nonsense type guy and the perfect guy to run an organization if you ask me. He strikes me as a guy who does not settle for the bullsh*t a guy like Todd Bowles settles for just look at his track record of horrible game management and losing locker rooms

you are just making stuff up now. the reason why MW wasn't HC or for that matter why i am not sure any ST coach was ever a HC is because they generally do not know as much about either side of the ball as required for the position. The argument of 'he was too good at  his job' holds no water in the NFL where coordinators get HC jobs every year. its a dumb statement and argument, sorry.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

@Warfish I can understand if you don't think Westhoff is the guy others feel the same way but you should read the bold Im not trying to set the guy in stone but his attitude seems to fit the bill IMHO if not so in your's who do you suggest ?

I don't scout NFL Front Office/Executive Staff my friend.  Fans are uniquely ill equipped to suggest or propose NFL Presidents of Operation or similar positions.

I mean, lets be honest, we like Westy because he's a sarcastic dick unafraid to speak his mind who ran a pretty decent special teams unit here for a few years.  Right?

Just because a guy was a decent (minor) NFL unit coach does not qualify him for what is, effectively, running a massive billion dollar company.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I don't scout NFL Front Office/Executive Staff my friend.  Fans are uniquely ill equipped to suggest or propose NFL Presidents of Operation or similar positions.

Just because a guy was a decent (minor) NFL unit coach does not qualify him for what is, effectively, running a massive billion dollar company.

once again Football Operations. I'm sure the Jets have people in place to run other areas of the organization I'm not making Mike Westhoff the President of the NY Jets or CEO for that matter . 

Also I'm not just basing my decision on his fantastic success as a ST coach. The guy has a way about him, a no nonsense approach exactly like a Tom Couglin you know the other Rookie VP of Football Operations. I like the way he handled himself on the sidelines and the way he addressed players on the HBO specials and I think its that attitude that makes him a good fit not his success on the field.

Everything I have seen from Westhoff shows hes all business and that's the trait I'm looking for, the same trait that guys like Parcells Coughlin and Belichick have and is the biggest reason why those guys win because they will never settle for less and if you give them less they show you the door. That's what this organization needs and its proven itself over and over remember what happened when a no nonsense Parcells took over a reeling organization in 97 ? He turned it around in 1 year and had us in the AFCCG in 2 years and no nonsense gets that done.

Westhoff may very well not be the guy for whatever reason but I guarantee you it wont be because hes not passionate or serious about the game or lacks the knowledge to get it done.

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

He's exactly who you want but I'd imagine he's exactly the type of guy the Johnson's don't.hes not corporate he'll ruffle too many feathers.

no doubt he will ruffle feathers the thing with filthy rich spoiled brats like Johnson is just that they want control and Westy would challenge that at every turn

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is this a serious post?

Maybe Westhoff should, I don't know, be a Head Coach first? 

The man has no relevant experience for the job.  None.

I like the Cane too, but seriously?  smh. 

Who would you rather have making football decisions, Mike Westhoff, or Chris Johnson?

30 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Who would you rather have making football decisions, Mike Westhoff, or Chris Johnson?

Ron Wolf.

Johnson isn't making any football decision, no matter what bitter fans think.  Macc (and Bowles) are.

And Westhoff is utterly unqualified to make organizational football decisions.

I'd love it just because it would be the first attempt ever? maybe? that the Jets actually did something smart like put a dude who knows Football in charge.

Westy is a hard nose no nonsense old school bad ass that would put a proper reporting structure in place.  I've listened/read a lot his takes and he's just about always spot on. 

He wanted Watson last year, which won my heart over.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Is this a serious post?

Maybe Westhoff should, I don't know, be a Head Coach first? 

The man has no relevant experience for the job.  None.

I like the Cane too, but seriously?  smh. 

How many President of Football operations do you think come from a Football background? 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ron Wolf.

Johnson isn't making any football decision, no matter what bitter fans think.  Macc (and Bowles) are.

He just made a football decision.  He decided to keep Macc and Bowles running his team, because he doesn't have a clue what it takes to run a team

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ron Wolf.

Westhoff has been around the game for 40 + years what exactly is an organizational decision when it comes to the GAME that Westhoff is not capable of making ? A VP of operations will always consult with the owner and there are other positions within a football organization that make decisions. Westhoff would be strictly football end just like Coughlin is. I mean we would not want them involved in such insanely intricate decisions like picking cheer leaders or hiring water boys. Key here is this is a game and I'm pretty damn sure, from listening to him in many areas, Westhoff knows just whats going on in the game of football .

Also Ron Wolf would be a great candidate as would guys like Parcel's and Arians.

Once again Im not saying Westhoff has to be the guy like hes some savior Im just pointing out his strong points to make my case Im fine with any of tyhe candidates as long as we get a strong football mind in charge of this sh*t show Woody is running.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd love it just because it would be the first attempt ever? maybe? that the Jets actually did something smart like put a dude who knows Football in charge.

Westy is a hard nose no nonsense old school bad ass that would put a proper reporting structure in place.  I've listened/read a lot his takes and he's just about always spot on. 

He wanted Watson last year, which won my heart over.  

Exactly !! its his attitude that that makes him leadership material his 40 plus years of football knowledge is a huge plus.  

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He just made a football decision.  He decided to keep Macc and Bowles running his team, because he doesn't have a clue what it takes to run a team

I think he's referring to the lack of dictating (let alone repeatedly dictating), "Thou must sign/draft this player" / "Thou must not sign/draft that player"

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Hey I was thinking of Parcells as well but the gripe I have with him is he will take the JOb, turn us around, then want out after 2 years

parcells is a carpet bagger.  he went on to coach the cowgirls when he could've stayed and coached the jets.  and we wonder why the bellichicken is such a horrible person?  he had a great mentor.

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ron Wolf.

i'll go with wolf too although he's getting way up there in age.  just another guy the jets let go.  imo this westy love is getting way overblown.  maybe he doesn't want the job?

44 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Westhoff has been around the game for 40 + years what exactly is an organizational decision when it comes to the GAME that Westhoff is not capable of making ?

Westhoff have alot of experience hiring Head Coaches, does he?  Working the salary cap?  Working with agents?  With unsigned diva NFL players?  With hiring scouts?  With interpriting the various opinions of scouts vs coaches?

Nope.

A VP of operations will always consult with the owner and there are other positions within a football organization that make decisions.

Westhoff have alot of experience reporting directly to, and working directly for, an owner?  

Nope.

Westhoff would be strictly football end just like Coughlin is. I mean we would not want them involved in such insanely intricate decisions like picking cheer leaders or hiring water boys. Key here is this is a game and I'm pretty damn sure, from listening to him in many areas, Westhoff knows just whats going on in the game of football.

A skillset that does not equate to knowing how to run a football organization, as I keep telling you. Being a GM (or VP of Operations) isn't just saying "hey, I like that kid" and "that kid sucks".  

Once again Im not saying Westhoff has to be the guy like hes some savior Im just pointing out his strong points to make my case Im fine with any of tyhe candidates as long as we get a strong football mind in charge of this sh*t show Woody is running.  

His strong point is he was a good NFL Special teams coach.  That's it, that's the entire list.

If he had spent the entire time fromt he moment he retired till now working in an NFL Front Office as some asst. GM or Scout/talent lead or the like, we may have something to talk about.

Also, it's moot, he's never, ever expressed an interest in it.

So what are we arguing about really?  Asking "who else" is also moot, neither you nor I scout NFL Front Office staff, so neither of us have a "who else", and that doesn;t make Westhoof win by default.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

so you want to put a career special teams coach in charge of our general manager and head coach? umm yeah no. I like Westhoff as much as anyone but give me a break...Coughlin is an all time great SB winning coach.

John Harbaugh was a Special Teams coach too prior to being elevated to HC.  He's done pretty well in Baltimore.  

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Westhoff have alot of experience hiring Head Coaches, does he?  Working the salary cap?  Working with agents?  With unsigned diva NFL players?  With hiring scouts?  With interpriting the various opinions of scouts vs coaches?

Nope.

Well damn I wish Westhoff had as much experience as Woody Johnson in hiring coaches. 2 time Johnson hired outside people to help with his football search and the first choice was an agency that had no business making the reccomendation. Casserly and Wolf were the better choice and they went with Bowles cause they were afraid to wait on Quinn, dumb call by front office guys I guess.

Westhoff have alot of experience reporting directly to, and working directly for, an owner?  

Nope.

How could Westhoff possibly handle talking to another human being on a topic hes been pretty damn good at for 40 + years ?

A skillset that does not equate to knowing how to run a football organization, as I keep telling you. Being a GM (or VP of Operations) isn't just saying "hey, I like that kid" and "that kid sucks".  

Once again for the Third time this is not about running the organization its about making Football decisions two very different situations and positions.

His strong point is he was a good NFL Special teams coach.  That's it, that's the entire list.

No his strong point is his attitude the football knowledge is a huge bonus and hes got plenty of that. This is not a dummy we're talking about here, listening to Westhoff talk shows he has  intelligence so his ST success has nothing to do with how his attitude is but it is a direct reflection that he got results from his players and held them accountable. Who Holds Bowles accountable when he botches time management over and over ? Who Holds Bowles accountable when he makes no adjustments at the half or in game at all ? Woody or Chris Johnson ???? Westy did loud and clear on TV for you and everyone else to hear were you listening ?

If he had spent the entire time fromt he moment he retired till now working in an NFL Front Office as some asst. GM or Scout/talent lead or the like, we may have something to talk about.

Because working in an NFL front office making football decisions is a real learning experience for a guy with 40 + years of success in the game.

Also, it's moot, he's never, ever expressed an interest in it.

If it was offered then it might be something he looks into. I mean he went to New Orleans as a sideline consultant so he obviously still has interest in the game

So what are we arguing about really?  Asking "who else" is also moot, neither you nor I scout NFL Front Office staff, so neither of us have a "who else", and that doesn;t make Westhoof win by default.

Youre right but youre making too much out of how much office experience it takes to make every day football decisions when talking about a guy who has extensive knowledge in football. The real question is if Woody wanted someone to step into a VP of FOOTBALL operations do you think hes going to pick some front office guy or an experienced football mind who probably never set foot in an office Just like most of the guys that are hired anyway ? Couglin was not a front office guy he went from HC to VP of Football Op. How could he possibly get by with no office experience ? 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He doesn't know the cap!!  He needs to be a CPA, have an MBA, AND a Football Degree!

Well fat ass Tanny was an accountant brought in by Parcells to deal with the cap in what became known as a capologist. Certainly Tanny knows more about football than Westoff since hes got that office Exp. Westhoff so desperately needs. I mean if you need a great F.O. guy in football why not start with an accountant ? 

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

John Harbaugh was a Special Teams coach too prior to being elevated to HC.  He's done pretty well in Baltimore.  

In 2007, after serving as Eagles' special-teams coach for nine years, he became their defensive-backs coach. This fulfilled his request to head coach Reid and improved his chances of landing a head coaching job, since executives at that time viewed special teams coaches as unqualified to move up to head coach.

Archived