JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

See my reply elsewhere...Basically with the league’s emphasis on offense there’s nothing to defend if the team’s offense sucks. It’s not like the old days where a defense really can win you games, time to embrace that.

Team Defense 2017

1. Vikings

2. Jaguars

4. Eagles

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Haley is abrasive as hell. Apparently would go weeks without talking to Rothelsiberger, and his relationship with Tomlin wasn't much better.  Now you can have people who don't like each other and barely talk outside of work succeed. Bowles might be dumb enough to not grasp Haley, if that's the hire, is  the coach in waiting and is not going to give 2 flying effs about Bowles wanting to run/run/3rd down and 8 dumpoff offense. But lose 11 games 2 years running and suddenly your choices are limited. Might be some indication that Maccagnan now has the ear of the Johnsons if this happens. We will see. 

I don’t even see a problem here; Bowles has been a master communicator with the fans and his staff so it will all be fine.  

Just fine. 

26 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Get it through your thick skull, all the progress our young offensive players made last year will be nullified by having to learn a new playbook. This has nothing to do with your 4 year vets.  The jets could run over your dog and your response would be , that's ok Jets I still have a cat.  

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

STFU.  Not only are you rude but you're sounding like a moron.

Both of you need to avoid each other and knock it off. No personal  attacks no name calling period. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

What a sh*tshow....it was reported earlier Bates wasn't interested in the job I thought, and he has no experience as OC.

Not a fan of keeping the HC while continuously axing Coordinators.  Never ends well.

I understand the premise, that since they're going to change QB's might as well change the O philosophy and get someone in here that can teach a QB I guess?

Haley has extensive Jets/Bowles ties, but not sure they're all positive...and Haley actually has more credibility IMO to be HC than Bowles at this point.  Not sure Todd wants his potential replacement on the staff.  Who knows.

This is why you need a Head of Football Operations to oversee the management process...to establish a team philosophy and direction.

Before Morton left/was fired, the GM would probably look for a potential WC QB...now...what?

Nothings different. Find a good QB. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

You mean Chad Pennington. Say Chad Pennington. Chad Pennington post two major shoulder surgeries at that. 

Again both offenses were bad but praised for being less terrible than they were supposed to be. That’s the comparison, not what record the Jets had or year the HC was in. This time the Jets have made the correct call and moved on from the hotshot new OC who just produced a bad offense. 

Except the outage, which you seem to be ignoring, is the extension of HC and GM while firing the OC. An OC with FAR less talent around him than in 2006, and not even close. The record provides more context to why this comparison is very bad.

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Except the outage, which you seem to be ignoring, is the extension of HC and GM while firing the OC. An OC with FAR less talent around him than in 2006, and not even close. The record provides more context to why this comparison is very bad.

Hess, if you keep making the comparison about something else entirely then yes it doesn’t work. As far as what I am actually comparing the comparison works. 

Also say the name of this dyamic first round QB talent from ‘06. 

So probably a race in two, Harold Goodwin and Todd Haley.

I think Haley is the sexy pick, previous HC, worked for a consistent playoff contender, has worked with franchise QBs.

If Goodwin was the pick then I'd have expected Morton to be out days ago and Goodwin named. Nothing stopping it and other teams have already done so as well. Time will tell.

One thing I do not understand; did Chris Johnson discuss this when he was handing out extensions? You would think there was some discussion what the plans were going to be for 2018, changes that needed to be made, ideas hashed out. What changed in 4 weeks? Very odd, very typical Jets' MO. More likely Johnson handed out the extensions and.....left? 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

One thing I do not understand; did Chris Johnson discuss this when he was handing out extensions? You would think there was some discussion what the plans were going to be for 2018, changes that needed to be made, ideas hashed out. What changed in 4 weeks? Very odd, very typical Jets' MO. More likely Johnson handed out the extensions and.....left? 

Is it possible the Jets got offended because Morton pursued the Gruden job...So acted like children and fired him?

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Nothings different. Find a good QB. 

Wait a minute....I mean, I agree...but...

Just look at Hack for example.  The NYJ draft a DEVELOPMENTAL QB to an OC in Gailey that was first old, not a long-term answer at OC, and honestly seemed like he couldn't care less about 'developing/incorporating' him into the O.  They even admitted they ignored him for the season, and whatever he did learn on the O scheme with Gailey in charge was lost when Gailey 'retired'.  Then they bring in another OC to install a 'new' scheme on offense which is a laborious process in and of itself, not exactly an environment for a new 2nd yr QB to develop in....then they fire the 2nd OC after a year.  It really is laughable, and I'm not in this reply taking up for Hack who probably is done, but just speaking to the environment you're bringing young players into and figuring out who the GM needs to bring in as players in the draft to fit your philosophy.  Baker Mayfield would have been a great DP for a WCO for example...maybe not so much for say a Haley scheme? Who knows at this point what the NYJ O is even going to look like?

Anyway, there needs to be a general philosophy as to how to achieve success, and someone needs to drive it...not sure this is evident on the NYJ at this point (not that it ever was here).

11 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Are you counter-arguing your own argument? I don't understand your point. 

I’m saying it’s easier to have a top 5 or top 3 defense when you have an offense. All three of those defenses took a leap forward when the offenses did. Las time the Jets had a top 5 defense happens to be the last time they had a productive offense including a top 10 passing game (2015). Do that again but include a better running game (FO’s 20th ranked in 2015) and we good. 

The Jets attempted 510 passes in 2017 (tied for 7th-fewest in the NFL).

"This guy is passing so much -- he thinks we're the Saints with Drew Brees!" 

Barely 30 attempts per game, to keep up with a D surrendering 3 TDs and a FG per game, is passing the ball too much.

I know I'm super-excited for our 2018 offense. It'll be action packed for sure. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Barely 30 attempts per game, to keep up with a D surrendering 3 TDs and a FG per game, is passing the ball too much.

Which partially makes me feel like this is fabricated 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Todd Bowles runs the show. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Or they could be speaking in regards to passing too much in certain situations of the game. Such as the goal line situation cimini brought up.  ?‍♂️

10 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

So probably a race in two, Harold Goodwin and Todd Haley.

I think Haley is the sexy pick, previous HC, worked for a consistent playoff contender, has worked with franchise QBs.

If Goodwin was the pick then I'd have expected Morton to be out days ago and Goodwin named. Nothing stopping it and other teams have already done so as well. Time will tell.

Imagine the sales pitch to Haley: “Hi, come take a job with a last-chance coach who wants you to start Josh McCown. PS we’re using the 6 pick on a corner. PPS Be nice to Matt Forte. PPPS Show respect to Kacy Rodgers; him and Todd have been through a lot.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Imagine the sales pitch to Haley: “Hi, come take a job with a last-chance coach who wants you to start Josh McCown. PS we’re using the 6 pick on a corner. PPS Be nice to Matt Forte. PPPS Show respect to Kacy Rodgers; him and Todd have been through a lot.

There's no way Bowles is taking a QB at 6 and there's no chance he's playing anyone besides who they sign- Mccown or whoever else is out there.

Archived