JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hilarity of Bowles firing him is that the best justification for his own extension, even after yet another 5-win season, was that expectations were so low.

So what were the Sept 1, 2017 expectations, with an offense consisting of:

• Josh McCown - after a summer devoted to force-feeding Hackenberg (and to a lesser extent, Petty), mind you
  • a trio of RBs consisting of a plodding has-been, an ok never-was, and a late-round rookie worse than both of them
  • a LT cut by the 3-win Jaguars who had nobody else and still dumped him (team drafted no one, but hey, they brought back Ijalana for $5m+)
  • a C who was mostly trash last year and continued this year (team drafted no one and signed no one else)
  • a RG who was just meh at his best, and was retained with $15m in guarantees (team drafted no one else)
  • a RT prospect who needed the entire summer to win the job from Brent Qvale (team drafted no one else)
  • An ok at best WR corps, but was only made so on the eve of the first game when they picked up 2 WRs who at least belonged on the field (team drafted 2 WRs so bad by the end of the summer that it prompted these two late acquisitions)
  • a TE with shaky hands who got so much more attention than he deserved for a meh season; even the GM who found this “gem” felt he was only worth a 2 year $4m/year offer after 2017’s “success” turnaround.

With an OC in his first-ever opportunity, but coming from one of the most successful, pass-happy offenses in NFL history.

And all the while, this OC's got his failure of a boss bitching in his ear to pass the ball even less than the already 7th-fewest times in the NFL.

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d put $50 on McCown being the Week One starter and not think twice 

$50 is low on a 1-9 bet. What do you get back? $55? 

Bowles is over these 3 seasons taking a torch to what ever his reputation was before he took this job. Problem is they pass too much? ONCE YOU GET BEHIND THOSE NUMBERS, THAT'S A JOKE. 

Where it gets interesting; what OC is signing up to follow Bowles' instruction, or is this Maccagnan's hire now? Don't think long-term OC coaches with an eye on an HC job someday are looking to hand off more than all but 6 other teams in the NFL(despite being behind late in games often, very odd stat). Bates turned this job down already for good reasons; why go down with this ship if this is your first OC job. Think about that; guy turned down a  promotion; why would he do that unless he knows this isn't going to end well if he cannot do his own thing. Haley would be a different story because he probably wouldn't take this job unless he gets total control. And it's understood he is the next HC. 

Just now, Bugg said:

$50 is low on a 1-9 bet. What do you get back? $55? 

Bowles is over these 3 seasons taking a torch to what ever his reputation was before he took this job. Problem is they pass too much? ONCE YOU GET BEHIND THOSE NUMBERS, THAT'S A JOKE. 

Where it gets interesting; what OC is signing up to follow Bowles' instruction, or is this Maccagnan's hire now? Don't think long-term OC coaches with an eye on an HC job someday are looking to hand off more than all but 5 other teams in the NFL(despite being behind late in games often, very odd stat). Bates turned this job down already for good reasons; why go down with this ship if this is your first OC job. Think about that; guy turned down a  promotion; why would he do that unless he knows this isn't going to end well if he cannot do his own thing. Haley would be a different story because he probably wouldn't take this job unless he gets total control. And it's understood he is the next HC. 

This team took two safeties back to back last year. Maccagnan shouldnt even be mentioned moving forward. He's completely irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

This team took two safeties back to back last year. Maccagnan shouldnt even be mentioned moving forward. He's completely irrelevant. 

Problem is again this is about job preservation, not winning football games. So Maccagnan gives Bowles what he wants on draft day. And can now say to ownership, we tried it his way; let me make the Big Decisions. It's a mess no matter how you look at it. Again, the organizational chart allows people to not have authority and also to escape any responsibility. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

See my reply elsewhere...Basically with the league’s emphasis on offense there’s nothing to defend if the team’s offense sucks. It’s not like the old days where a defense really can win you games, time to embrace that.

You started s thread about the franchise QB era coming to an end, based on the defense led Eagles, Jags and Vikings runs. LOL

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We needed to try to ram it in on the ground, with our meh RBs having another meh day, running behind a bad OL, against a Panthers defense that surrendered 7 rushing TDs all season long (while surrendering 30 passing TDs over the same span, including 3 TDs/0 INTs to the Josh McCown Jets that game)

Sounds like he was the only one who was thinking of exploiting matchups. So of course it makes sense that Bowles fired him.

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You started s thread about the franchise QB era coming to an end, based on the defense led Eagles, Jags and Vikings runs. LOL

Therefore Morton is a big loss? One of those teams put up a top ten offense with Casey Keenum at QB! Another a top 12 offense with Blake Bortles! Both in CGs! 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You don't see the difference between a coach who is your friend, who others may like and a coach who no one may like, who either refuses to run the O the HC wants run or shared the same philosophy with.  

That makes it wrong to move on from him now or makes him a scapegoat?

I don’t think your argument is relevant. Just get to the part where you flip out and call names.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Hess, if you keep making the comparison about something else entirely then yes it doesn’t work. As far as what I am actually comparing the comparison works. 

Also say the name of this dyamic first round QB talent from ‘06. 

The point is Morton 2017 has had far less talent to work with than Schottenheimer 2006z Thus your comparison is very bad.

And the majority of everyone's issue with this, is, then why not Bowels and Rogers Too? Instead of making a ridiculous comparison to 06 why not compare this year's offense to this year's defense, with the carrot of Bowles being a defensive minded HC. 

the rest is just you trolling.

Just now, SenorGato said:

Therefore Morton is a big loss? One of those teams put up a top ten offense with Casey Keenum at QB! Another a top 12 offense with Blake Bortles! Both in CGs! 

I already made clear my disgust is with allowing Bowles to emulate Rex.

Just illustrating that your argument today contradicts your argument from yesterday, or whenever.

One of the best ways to rebuild is to have a different Offensive Coordinator every season while retaining your under performing defensive coordinator each year.  It really shows the plan is being executed.  Especially when considering the drafting of a 2nd round QB that came with a “development plan” caveat.

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I already made clear my disgust is with allowing Bowles to emulate Rex.

Just illustrating that your argument today contradicts your argument from yesterday, or whenever.

Bowles’ staffs has already gotten way more passing offense and offense than Ryan’s staff ever did. 

I just illustrated that your illustration was wrong. The Vikings built a top 5 offense with Keenum this year. Arguably none of the non-Brady QBs were the best player on offense for their respective teams. The Franchise QB isn’t done tomorrow or even this decade but teams are definitely learn to spread their eggs around. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Bowles has already gotten more passing offense and offense than Ryan ever did. 

I just illustrated that your illustration was wrong. The Vikings built a top 5 offense with Keenum this year. Arguably none of the non-Brady QBs were the best player on offense for their respective teams. The Franchise QB isn’t done tomorrow or even this decade but teams are definitely learn to spread their eggs around. 

lol, sure

Wtf?!? This is dumb. Morton was the best thing for OC we have had in a while. Our problem is our dumb HC stuck in 80’s era football. We have our Jeff Fisher in Bowles.  
Too bad I really liked Morton and his modern day style offense. Had we had a decent QB, no Matt forte and a little better OLine we would have been fine on offense 

What’s dumb about it??? Every team left has the same template as Bowles, run the ball and play good defense. Only exception is NE. It’s a proven formula that hasn’t failed anyone yet. Where did the high flying Rams end up after the first weekend? What about the Chiefs? What about all of those other offenses who believe in quick 3 and outs? Defense and a sound running game sustains you! Especially with limitations at QB. Morton can’t be calling plays like he’s in NO when you don’t have BREES at the Helm! Smh

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

One of the best ways to rebuild is to have a different Offensive Coordinator every season while retaining your under performing defensive coordinator each year.  It really shows the plan is being executed.  Especially when considering the drafting of a 2nd round QB that came with a “development plan” caveat.

It's such an utter sh*tfest I don't know how anyone can defend it. It's complete ineptitude. Some people are just loco for the Jets. These two have to hit some big home runs like, really fast to pull out of this massive black hole 

Archived