JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

1 minute ago, UnTypicalJET said:

What’s dumb about it??? Every team left has the same template as Bowles, run the ball and play good defense. Only exception is NE. It’s a proven formula that hasn’t failed anyone yet. Where did the high flying Rams end up after the first weekend? What about the Chiefs? What about all of those other offenses who believe in quick 3 and outs? Defense and a sound running game sustains you! Especially with limitations at QB. Morton can’t be calling plays like he’s in NO when you don’t have BREES at the Helm! Smh

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Chiefs and Rams had two of the best running games in the league this season

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. Lol. Keep Bowles and fire just about the only coach we had who seemed semi-competent at his job. So Jetsy.

The hilarity of Bowles firing him is that the best justification for his own extension, even after yet another 5-win season, was that expectations were so low. So what were the Sept 1, 2017 expec

Maybe I’m crazy but this doesn’t make sense to me, I thought he did a great job this year with what he had.  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Makes perfect sense, the offense was the big overachieving part of this year.  Thus it had to go.  Bowles is such an idiotic scrub.

As i've said many times, OC is by far the worst job in all of football. 

Meanwhile dingle balls underachievers Rogers and bowles sit pretty.

The Jets have almost no real talent on the offensive side of the ball.

QB > 3rd rounder

RB > 1st rounder

WR1 > UDFA

WR2 > UDFA

TE > 2nd rounder

LT > 7th rounder

LG > 1st rounder

C > 5th rounder

RG > 3rd rounder

RT > 5th rounder

The two first rounder picks on offense are a washed up RB at the end of his career and a guard.  All of the resources (premium draft picks AND money) are in the defense.  Yet Morton gets fired and Kacy Rodgers has a job.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Pac and Gato are eerily similar posters

I figured I was the homer you were referring to.

Qualifications for my newly appointed Jets home role:

- Properly acknowledges Revis is GOAT

- Doesn’t believe Morton is some secret stud behind his 24th ranked offense

- Doesn’t want to pay ASJ or Bilal Powell

- Uses numbers over heart and gut

Casual Lol you guys are the best.

Edited by SenorGato
3 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

QB > 3rd rounder

RB > 1st rounder

WR1 > UDFA

WR2 > UDFA

TE > 2nd rounder

LT > 7th rounder

LG > 1st rounder

C > 5th rounder

RG > 3rd rounder

RT > 5th rounder

The two first rounder picks on offense are a washed up RB at the end of his career and a guard.  All of the resources (premium draft picks AND money) are in the defense.  Yet Morton gets fired and Kacy Rodgers has a job.

Should of just said the elder priest passing GAWD and we would of known exact who you were talking about. 

3 minutes ago, UnTypicalJET said:

What’s dumb about it??? Every team left has the same template as Bowles, run the ball and play good defense. Only exception is NE. It’s a proven formula that hasn’t failed anyone yet. Where did the high flying Rams end up after the first weekend? What about the Chiefs? What about all of those other offenses who believe in quick 3 and outs? Defense and a sound running game sustains you! Especially with limitations at QB. Morton can’t be calling plays like he’s in NO when you don’t have BREES at the Helm! Smh

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

510 attempts on the season. Just like New Orleans.

The defense sucked, all 5 players on the OL sucked, and there isn't a starting RB on the roster. But by all means, force them to run the ball against a team with a stingy rush D and horrid pass D.

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

I figured I was the homer you were referring to.

Qualifications for being my newly appointed Jets homer:

- Properly acknowledges Revis is GOAT

- Doesn’t believe Morton is some secret stud behind his 24th ranked offense

- Doesn’t want to pay ASJ or Bilal Powell

- Uses numbers over heart and gut

Casual Lol you guys are the best. 

I will be your disciple until death does me in. We shall follow until the end of the earth nears.

- Senors Gato’s newly appointed Jets homer

“I believe we are headed in the right direction,” Johnson’s statement continued. “This provides us continuity and stability as we continue to move this team towards sustained success."

What an absolute joke. "Continuity and stability" but you fire your OC and will now be looking at your 3rd OC in as many years.

They should have just fired Bowles and bought in a new HC don't lie to us about continuity, we're not stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-fire-offensive-coordinator-john-morton-article-1.3762767

Jets made the right call by firing offensive coordinator John Morton 

The Jets made their first seismic move in an offseason that promises to be filled with them by firing offensive coordinator John Morton.

The Daily News broke the news Wednesday that Gang Green will be looking for a new offensive play-caller after finishing in the bottom third of nearly every meaningful statistical category this season.

Although Morton wasn’t working with star-studded personnel, there were enough concerns about the rookie coordinator’s in-game decisions and some personality conflicts with other coaches to warrant a change.

It was the absolute right decision.

The Jets finished 25th in scoring, 28th in total yards, 29th in first downs, 23rd in third-down efficiency, 24th in passing yards and 19th in rushing yards. If not for Josh McCown’s career year, there’s no telling how ugly it would have gotten for this team.

“We appreciate John’s contributions and wish him the best moving forward,” Todd Bowles said in a statement after the team made it official by confirming the News’ report.

Bowles will look for his third offensive coordinator in four seasons to help guide the Jets into the next phase of their rebuild. The News reported last week that there had been internal discussions about promoting quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates only if he were all-in for the gig. Bates had a significant role in the weekly game plans, according to people in the know.

It appeared several weeks ago that Bates might not be interested, but the News has learned that he remains a strong candidate. Some external possibilities include free agent Mike McCoy and Eagles quarterback coach John DeFilippo, who were both targets for the Jets last year. Former Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, whose contract wasn’t renewed Wednesday, worked with Bowles in Dallas (2005-06) and the Jets (2000). Lions quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan is also worth monitoring.

Morton logged long hours, but he simply was a subpar coordinator. Respected veteran running back Matt Forte openly questioned Morton’s curious play-calling after a Week 8 loss to the Falcons. People on One Jets Drive privately questioned his in-game decision-making in plenty of games, including losses to Buffalo, Carolina and Denver.

Although Bowles maintained the importance of continuity, he made the right decision by attempting to upgrade in a deficient area.

It's always good to have consistency and continuity, but in the NFL things change all the time," Bowles said the day after his team’s second consecutive five-win season. "You have to be ready. If we keep the same scheme, that's great. If we have to change for whatever reason, we'll go from there."

The prevailing sentiment inside the building was that Morton, who was a wide receivers coach in New Orleans before getting his first OC job, was simply in over his head. Some people on One Jets Drive felt that he lacked creativity. Others felt that he got too cute at all the wrong times.

Morton wasn’t pure evil, but there was indeed some tension with other coaches. The bottom line, however, was that he simply wasn’t good enough. Bates was regarded as the smartest offensive mind in the building, according to sources.

The Jets privately hoped that Jon Gruden would hire Morton to be on his Raiders staff in some capacity. Shortly after the Jets’ season-ending loss to the Patriots, the News reported that Gang Green would not stand in the way of Morton re-uniting with his mentor in Oakland.

This will be a critical hire for Bowles, who had one successful season with Chan Gailey before back-to-back underwhelming campaigns for his offense. The Jets will be in the market for a new starting quarterback and upgrades in a few other offensive areas.

Who will be the next guy to lead this soon-to-be revamped offense?

Whoever it is, this much is clear: The next guy must be the right guy.

• Post of the Week 1

Maccagnan Draft Picks in 3 years with not one position having any impact player already on the roster with a long term contract:

QB- 2nd round bust, 4th round bust 

WR- 2nd rd bust, 3rd round, 4th round, 7th round

TE- 5th round 

RB- 6th round

OT- 5th round

OG- 5th round

...this is rebuilding? This is any semblance of a plan? Meanwhile still yielding a 25th ranked Defense with a defensive minded HC. Holy crap.

• Like 1
Just now, HessStation said:

Maccagnan Draft Picks in 3 years with not one position having any impact player already on the roster with a long term contract:

QB- 2nd round bust, 4th round bust 

WR- 2nd bust, 3rd round, 4th round, 7th round

TE- 5th round 

RB- 6th round

OT- 5th round

OG- 5th round

...this is rebuilding? This is any semblance of a plan? Holy crap.

Therefore, keep Morton? 

Casual Lol I mean for Jah’s sake...

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-fire-offensive-coordinator-john-morton-article-1.3762767

Jets made the right call by firing offensive coordinator John Morton 

Who will be the next guy to lead this soon-to-be revamped offense?

Whoever it is, this much is clear: The next guy must be the right guy.

lol...that's not the Jets way.....

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Still doesn't get it...

There’s nothing to get! It’s the same whining about the same sh*t with the same upturned noses at anyhing numbers unless numbers agree with what’s being whined about. 

So I hadn't heard about this till half an our ago.

The only thing I think a I know is that they must have somebody they see as an upgrade ready to go, because why do this NOW of all times if they didn't.

I don't know about any of these rumors of passing too much or whatever. Could be complete crap or it could be taken out of context. 

Either way the next guy's got the job of making a new QB work for us. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

There’s nothing to get! It’s the same whining about the same sh*t with the same upturned noses at anyhing numbers unless the numbers agree with what we’re whining about. 

Amazeballs. Firing the OC on performance and extending the HC and GM whose performance was even worse is the problem. Not just firing the OC. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Once again, this organization is waaay too focused on PR than it is actually football decision making.

They fired an OC fans like because his offense sucked and nobody wants to work with him. This is the opposite of a PR move. 

• Thumb Down 1
3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

His production didn’t outweigh his sh*t attitude obviously. Haley’s sh*t attitude was something to deal with because he boasted a top 7 unit about every year as their playcaller.

Haley has had a top 3 QB, WR, RB, OG, and a Top 3 OL overall

Praying the Jets have a new RB, QB, C, and OC in 2018. I personally don't care if the OC is Morton or someone new. The Jetiian way of thinking is to cry over John Morton. Not one poster here knew who he was two years ago. The Jets need a QB and some skill players. John Morton, and most OC's are Jags.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I honestly hope it's Bates at this point. He knows the crap he has to coach and, hopefully, he won't show the reluctance to play rookies that Bowles does.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bates was regarded as the smartest offensive mind in the building, according to sources.

^ this says it all.

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Amazeballs. Firing the OC on performance and extending the HC and GM whose performance was even worse is the problem. Not just firing the OC. 

The fired OC was a rookie coordinator who produced a crappy offense. The GM and HC are two years removed from a top 5 defense and a top 10 passing offense. 

"Although Bowles maintained the importance of continuity, he made the right decision by attempting to upgrade in a deficient area." 

Spoken like Bowles' Charlie McCarthy doll. So now continuity, the reason for extending Bowles, doesn't matter at all. No agenda. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, SenorGato said:

They fired an OC fans like because his offense sucked and nobody wants to work with him. This is the opposite of a PR move. 

They fired the OC because Bowles and him didn't get along - which is fine - but then they work with Mehta to set up a narrative that ...

1) Morton was in over his head

2) Morton wasn't liked by the players or other coaches

3) Because no other better qualified OC would take this job and promoting Bates is the only legitimate option. that Bates is actually the mind behind whatever success the offense had. 

• Upvote 1