JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Jets fire OC for in game decisions.

Jets extend HC....Hessstation reflects on HC in game decisions....HessStation takes another shot before losing his sh*t over this crackpot organization 

You are actually one of the few on this board that would make a valuable contribution to whoever rebuilds the Jets.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Haley has had a top 3 QB, WR, RB, OG, and a Top 3 OL overall

So you don’t think he helped develop(aside from Ben) and get the absolute best out of the players regardless? Does that just not matter now because they are good players? 

You can have superstar players all across the board...if the OC sucks the offense doesn’t gel correctly or the OC doesn’t make good calls..it won’t productive period.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-fire-offensive-coordinator-john-morton-article-1.3762767

Jets made the right call by firing offensive coordinator John Morton 

The Jets made their first seismic move in an offseason that promises to be filled with them by firing offensive coordinator John Morton.

The Daily News broke the news Wednesday that Gang Green will be looking for a new offensive play-caller after finishing in the bottom third of nearly every meaningful statistical category this season.

Although Morton wasn’t working with star-studded personnel, there were enough concerns about the rookie coordinator’s in-game decisions and some personality conflicts with other coaches to warrant a change.

It was the absolute right decision.

The Jets finished 25th in scoring, 28th in total yards, 29th in first downs, 23rd in third-down efficiency, 24th in passing yards and 19th in rushing yards. If not for Josh McCown’s career year, there’s no telling how ugly it would have gotten for this team.

“We appreciate John’s contributions and wish him the best moving forward,” Todd Bowles said in a statement after the team made it official by confirming the News’ report.

Bowles will look for his third offensive coordinator in four seasons to help guide the Jets into the next phase of their rebuild. The News reported last week that there had been internal discussions about promoting quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates only if he were all-in for the gig. Bates had a significant role in the weekly game plans, according to people in the know.

It appeared several weeks ago that Bates might not be interested, but the News has learned that he remains a strong candidate. Some external possibilities include free agent Mike McCoy and Eagles quarterback coach John DeFilippo, who were both targets for the Jets last year. Former Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, whose contract wasn’t renewed Wednesday, worked with Bowles in Dallas (2005-06) and the Jets (2000). Lions quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan is also worth monitoring.

Morton logged long hours, but he simply was a subpar coordinator. Respected veteran running back Matt Forte openly questioned Morton’s curious play-calling after a Week 8 loss to the Falcons. People on One Jets Drive privately questioned his in-game decision-making in plenty of games, including losses to Buffalo, Carolina and Denver.

Although Bowles maintained the importance of continuity, he made the right decision by attempting to upgrade in a deficient area.

It's always good to have consistency and continuity, but in the NFL things change all the time," Bowles said the day after his team’s second consecutive five-win season. "You have to be ready. If we keep the same scheme, that's great. If we have to change for whatever reason, we'll go from there."

The prevailing sentiment inside the building was that Morton, who was a wide receivers coach in New Orleans before getting his first OC job, was simply in over his head. Some people on One Jets Drive felt that he lacked creativity. Others felt that he got too cute at all the wrong times.

Morton wasn’t pure evil, but there was indeed some tension with other coaches. The bottom line, however, was that he simply wasn’t good enough. Bates was regarded as the smartest offensive mind in the building, according to sources.

The Jets privately hoped that Jon Gruden would hire Morton to be on his Raiders staff in some capacity. Shortly after the Jets’ season-ending loss to the Patriots, the News reported that Gang Green would not stand in the way of Morton re-uniting with his mentor in Oakland.

This will be a critical hire for Bowles, who had one successful season with Chan Gailey before back-to-back underwhelming campaigns for his offense. The Jets will be in the market for a new starting quarterback and upgrades in a few other offensive areas.

Who will be the next guy to lead this soon-to-be revamped offense?

Whoever it is, this much is clear: The next guy must be the right guy.

Indeed; He must be more gooder in the eyes of de facto club president/Bowles press agent Manish Mehta.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

You seriously must smoke crack

You were a Browns fan like 10 months ago! Cleveland, Ohio’s gotta be like the crack capital of crack! 

Anyway it’d be easier to buy what you sell if you weren’t so numbers are so gaycasuallol except when they agree. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They fired the OC because Bowles and him didn't get along - which is fine - but then they work with Mehta to set up a narrative that ...

1) Morton was in over his head

2) Morton wasn't liked by the players or other coaches

3) Because no other better qualified OC would take this job and promoting Bates is the only legitimate option. that Bates is actually the mind behind whatever success the offense had. 

This is the best part of the post... really? Who are your sources, Fidelio?

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

No clue if this has been posted yet or not, but this is telling.  Circled user is Robby Anderson.  I don't get that hand wringing over this.  Did he deserve to get canned on performance?  Pry not.  Let's not oversell how good he was though.

Why is this telling?

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is the best part of the post... really? Who are your sources, Bugg?

You do understand I'm not a journalist and this is a message board where people share opinion, correct?

Sources, are you serious?  

If you don't see Mehta's obvious agenda to support Bowles in almost every situation then you're not really paying attention.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No clue if this has been posted yet or not, but this is telling.  Circled user is Robby Anderson.  I don't get that hand wringing over this.  Did he deserve to get canned on performance?  Pry not.  Let's not oversell how good he was though.

Another one gay for Bowels. It can’t be undersold. If you’re going to fire a stud like Morton off an off year then everyone should go. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

Another one gay for Bowels. It can’t be undersold. If you’re going to fire a stud like Morton off an off year then everyone should go. 

I'm actually on record that I don't like Bowels.  That doesn't mean Morton was very good.  But that's how the internet works I guess.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So you don’t think he helped develop(aside from Ben) and get the absolute best out of the players regardless? Does that just not matter now because they are good players? 

You can have superstar players all across the board...if the OC sucks the offense doesn’t gel correctly or the OC doesn’t make good calls..it won’t productive period.

Dude...

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They fired the OC because Bowles and him didn't get along - which is fine - but then they work with Mehta to set up a narrative that ...

1) Morton was in over his head

2) Morton wasn't liked by the players or other coaches

3) Because no other better qualified OC would take this job and promoting Bates is the only legitimate option. that Bates is actually the mind behind whatever success the offense had. 

Someone posted that Robby Anderson <3 a Morton is fired tweet. It appears there is some merit to Mehta’s claim the players did not like him either. 

Maybe it’s true no one will take the job, maybe it isn’t. That’s hardly something to be stated as fact. Bates was said to have turned down the job last week, but I wouldn’t mind a change of heart. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Because a mediocre WR liked a tweet? Who cares?

For one Anderson the WR>>Morton the OC.

Two, it's telling because players don't just randomly approve publicly of a firing of a coach they like or respect.  While Morton's production was ok, it was not so incredibly good that it can overshadow him alienating his own players and other coaches. 

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You do understand I'm not a journalist and this is a message board where people share opinion, correct?

Sources, are you serious?  

If you don't see Mehta's obvious agenda to support Bowles in almost every situation then you're not really paying attention.

Opinions are great. That’s indeed what this board is for. Now support said opinion with some facts. Without some facts behind what you are saying to support your claim...what do you really have? 

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Two, it's telling because players don't just randomly approve publicly of a firing of a coach they like or respect.  While Morton's production was ok, it was not so incredibly good that it can overshadow him alienating his own players and other coaches. 

I wouldn’t read too much into it though, could’ve been by accident. I do it all the time not knowing it. But hey, never know. 

I also don't understand the notion that he was scapegoated. 

If Morton was fired before the season ended and then TB got extended THAT would be a scapegoat. That move says "he was the problem, we got rid of the problem, now don't fire me."

His job is safe for the next year, he doesn't need to have an alibi for management as to why the team didn't do better under his watch at this point. Morton's firing isn't a job saving excuse for him.

But I guess its semantics in the end. The point is he didn't think it was best to have him around any more.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Opinions are great. That’s indeed what this board is for. Now support opinion with some facts. Without some facts behind what you are saying to support your claim...what do you really have? 

Well, Virtually everything I wrote came from Mehta's article.  I assumed you read the article I was referencing (which was the original post)

The claim players didn't like Morton, that Morton was over his head - and that the people in the building believe Bates is really smarter than Morton...were all stated in the referenced article.

The only thing I stated that was opinion is that the Jets would have a hard time finding a qualified OC to take the job.  Again, under the circumstances that the Jets have had 3 OC's in 3 years, that Bowles may very well be in his last year and the current Jets offense is terrible - it's not a terrible leap to make that claim.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The issue is this, we have had back to back Defensive coaches who kept firing ocs and dumping coaches all over the place except their buddy coaches who always kept their jobs.  For the better part of 10 years or more almost all resources have been poured into the defense.

Drat picks, free agents etc.

But who's ass gets fired?  The offensive guys.

The reason people thought the jets would be epically bad this year?  Sure as hell not the defense.  The offense out performed the defense overall with a minuscule amount of talent and resources so though Morton is not Bill Walsh he sure as hell was more responsible for the magical 5 wins that Bowles and his guys.

Some of us are a little tired of this nonsense.

And guess what?  We get to hear the excuse mongers next year bleat about a new offense to learn.

Fire the people who most deserve it.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, Virtually everything I wrote came from Mehta's article.  I assumed you read the article I was referencing (which was the original post)

The claim players didn't like Morton, that Morton was over his head - and that the people in the building believe Bates is really smarter than Morton...were all stated in the referenced article.

The only thing I stated that was opinion is that the Jets would have a hard time finding a qualified OC to take the job.  Again, under the circumstances that the Jets have had 3 OC's in 3 years, that Bowles may very well be in his last year and the current Jets offense is terrible - it's not a terrible leap to make that claim.

That’s fine. But what I was originally quoting you on was the accusation that Bowles and the FO linked up with Mehta to make this article happen in order to create an illusion of positivity around the firing. That’s all. I wasn’t trying to go at your throat or anything bro. For the most part I enjoy what you post, here. I just have a hard time following that particular part because there is literally no factual evidence or reason to support that claim.

Gee, mccowns career year had nothing to do with the oc, good thing he dragged poor lousy morton along with his greatness.

As for trotting out the 'poor' offensive stats they only are valid if you pull out the defensive ones and look at the talent levels.

To dump the oc for the poor oc stats means the guy in  charge of the D should be fired 3 times over.

Archived