JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

13 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Someone posted that Robby Anderson <3 a Morton is fired tweet. It appears there is some merit to Mehta’s claim the players did not like him either. 

Maybe it’s true no one will take the job, maybe it isn’t. That’s hardly something to be stated as fact. Bates was said to have turned down the job last week, but I wouldn’t mind a change of heart. 

Who gives a fling fck if the players like him.

Revis, sheldon and mo wilk love bowles and there is a reason for that.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Its okay Hess. I’ll give you a moment.

Sorry. It's hard  answer that with a straight face. It's Haley's system that's been the difference making Bell, Brown, Bryant, DeCastro, Pouncey and the 3 best overall OL in football? 

Ok thanks, I'm ok I think. Might need another shot. 

Guess he gets credit for not completely ****knng it up.

42 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-fire-offensive-coordinator-john-morton-article-1.3762767

Jets made the right call by firing offensive coordinator John Morton 

Morton logged long hours, but he simply was a subpar coordinator. Respected veteran running back Matt Forte openly questioned Morton’s curious play-calling after a Week 8 loss to the Falcons.

Although Bowles maintained the importance of continuity, he made the right decision by attempting to upgrade in a deficient area.

It's always good to have consistency and continuity, but in the NFL things change all the time," Bowles said

The prevailing sentiment inside the building was that Morton, who was a wide receivers coach in New Orleans before getting his first OC job, was simply in over his head. Some people on One Jets Drive felt that he lacked creativity. Others felt that he got too cute at all the wrong times.

So he was "In over his head"? What does that say about the evaluation process that hired him?

The great Matt Forte was instrumental in evaluating the OC?

Upgrade an area of deficiency? What about the DC and Kacy Rogers? I guess if you are a FOB (friend of Bowles) you get a free pass.

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Maybe it’s true no one will take the job, maybe it isn’t. That’s hardly something to be stated as fact. Bates was said to have turned down the job last week, but I wouldn’t mind a change of heart. 

Think about what that says about Todd Bowles. A QB Coach turning down a shot to be an NFL coordinator. Something stinks. Other than the product on the field, I mean.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Who gives a fling fck if the players like him.

Agreed, it’s more important that his offense sucked and as a rookie OC promoted from a WR coach position maybe was in over his head. That said, that the players and staff didn’t seem to like him did not help. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Gee, mccowns career year had nothing to do with the oc, good thing he dragged poor lousy morton along with his greatness.

As for trotting out the 'poor' offensive stats they only are valid if you pull out the defensive ones and look at the talent levels.

To dump the oc for the poor oc stats means the guy in  charge of the D should be fired 3 times over.

Had a lot to do with Bates too. Bates helped tether a system that was similar to the Bears system McCown ran before he came here. McCown was given a very comfortable situation here with a playbook he was familiar with and Morton added his WCO into the mix so that Josh could get the ball out quickly without having to make too much of a decision....but if im going to credit one more than the other it would be Bates simply because the advantage of working with McCown prior really helped in kill any learning curve he may have had to go through.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Had a lot to do with Bates too. Bates helped tether a system that was similar to the Bears system McCown ran before he came here. McCown was given a very comfortable situation here with a playbook he was familiar with and Morton added his WCO into the mix so that Josh could get the ball out quickly without having to make too much of a decision....but if im going to credit one more than the other it would be Bates simply because the advantage of working with McCown prior really helped in kill any learning curve he may have had to go through.

Yeah bates and mcwown were the reason the jets were great, Morton as weighing them down like boat anchor

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Sorry. It's hard  answer that with a straight face. It's Haley's system that's been the difference making Bell, Brown, Bryant, DeCastro, Pouncey and the 3 best overall OL in football? 

Ok thanks, I'm ok I think. Might need another shot. 

Guess he gets credit for not completely ****knng it up.

Who else was it? The defensive backs coach?

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

That’s fine. But what I was originally quoting you on was the accusation that Bowles and the FO linked up with Mehta to make this article happen in order to create an illusion of positivity around the firing. That’s all. I wasn’t trying to go at your throat or anything bro. For the most part I enjoy what you post, here. I just have a hard time following that particular part because there is literally no factual evidence or reason to support that claim.

Fair enough - It's just I see Mehta's constant support of Bowles (I've also supported Bowles) just feels to me he's been towing the party line for virtually the entire time Bowles has been here.  Agreed there's no proof, just seems like a logical step to make the assumption that Mehta's article bashed the recently fired OC - and basically states the real offensive mind on the team - is the leading candidate to replace him.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Agreed, it’s more important that his offense sucked and as a rookie OC promoted from a WR coach position maybe was in over his head. That said, that the players and staff didn’t seem to like him did not help. 

I'll reiterate.  If you feel the offense was terrible please talk to me about the talent level on the offense.  Also please tell me your thoughts on the defense talent level and please tell me your feelings on the defensive rankings on this team .

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Think about what that says about Todd Bowles. A QB Coach turning down a shot to be an NFL coordinator. Something stinks. Other than the product on the field, I mean.

The report, no quote from Bates, came out before Morton was hired. Maybe he was being polite?

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Fair enough - It's just I see Mehta's constant support of Bowles (I've also supported Bowles) just feels to me he's been towing the party line for virtually the entire time Bowles has been here.  Agreed there's no proof, just seems like a logical step to make the assumption that Mehta's article bashed the recently fired OC - and basically states the real offensive mind on the team - is the leading candidate to replace him.

Honestly I think Mehta’s skin is so thin that he actually is trying to stay on the good side of the organization and fans because he is tired of being called out for his BS. He was a decent writer before the Daily News hired him. I think he’s trying to play good boy for awhile until he says something outrageous to piss off the majority of Jet organization. He has done it with Marrone, Wilkerson(before season), etc.

I never really got the love-fest for Morton this year.  I didn't have anything against him really, but he was definitely overpraised around here, mostly based on this concept that he was given endless love for anything that went well, but every single thing we disagreed with, he was completely exonerated so the blame could be placed solely on Bowles' shoulders.  The reality of the situation was he wasn't as great as some around here claimed at the time, particularly with the laughable concept of some wanting to see him as head coach a month into his coordinating career.

With all of that said, while I was not nearly as impressed as many, I also thought he did a solid job.  There was definitely some areas that could use some improvement, but hardly unexpected for a guy in his first year in the role, so I was definitely surprised to hear this earlier.  Can't say I really support the decision, but I'd have to imagine there's more to this story.  At this point, let's just hope they don't **** up his replacement.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mostly must have been the QB and the Qb coach much like the jets with mccown and bates right?

McCown and Bates is a different situation given the familiarity and the fact there was no need for a learning curve. I explained this to you in the other thread. Try not to sound so salty and vengeful lol....I have no reason to back track my prior statements.

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

For one Anderson the WR>>Morton the OC.

Two, it's telling because players don't just randomly approve publicly of a firing of a coach they like or respect.  While Morton's production was ok, it was not so incredibly good that it can overshadow him alienating his own players and other coaches. 

In defense of Morton, have you ever heard Robbie Anderson speak? Guy can't string 5 words together to save his life. Guy seems dumber than a box of rocks. He's a decent WR but I wouldn't exactly take his feelings on who should be OC to heart. 

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Whoever put the talent together. Is he an upgrade? Possibly. Let's see what he does w this roster though.

I feel like he is a experienced and overall better OC with a grasp on at the very LEAST what to do to succeed in the modern NFL...his attitude just concerns me.

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The issue is this, we have had back to back Defensive coaches who kept firing ocs and dumping coaches all over the place except their buddy coaches who always kept their jobs.  For the better part of 10 years or more almost all resources have been poured into the defense.

Drat picks, free agents etc.

But who's ass gets fired?  The offensive guys.

The reason people thought the jets would be epically bad this year?  Sure as hell not the defense.  The offense out performed the defense overall with a minuscule amount of talent and resources so though Morton is not Bill Walsh he sure as hell was more responsible for the magical 5 wins that Bowles and his guys.

Some of us are a little tired of this nonsense.

And guess what?  We get to hear the excuse mongers next year bleat about a new offense to learn.

Fire the people who most deserve it.

Basically the only reason the Jets did anything was McCown.  How can anyone be so sure it's Morton responsible for that and not Bates?  That's what I don't understand.  Yes the offense overachieved.  But they overachieved because of McCown.  Not because schematically they schooled people.

I'm not saying I know it was Bates who got the most out of McCown.  I don't know.  Maybe it was Morton.  It could just as easily been Bates though too 

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The report, no quote from Bates, came out before Morton was hired. Maybe he was being polite?

Thanks for the clarification, didn't appreciate the time line. Maybe it's the rare case of a person actually being honest with himself about his readiness for a bigger role.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I feel like he is a experienced and overall better OC with a grasp on at the very LEAST what to do to succeed in the modern NFL...his attitude just concerns me.

He's definitely more experienced as an OC. So there's that. There's such a supreme lack of talent on the current roster I don't think Bill Walsh could help. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'll reiterate.  If you feel the offense was terrible please talk to me about the talent level on the offense.  Also please tell me your thoughts on the defense talent level and please tell me your feelings on the defensive rankings on this team .

- The talent on offense sucks. Morton gets credited for the offense not outright being the worst in the league.

- The defensive rankings will go up when the offense gets better. They were top 5 in 2015 when the offense was good, and we’re seeing it this year as the Eagles, Vikings, and Jaguars have all seen their defenses surge up rankings when the offenses did. 

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A legit QB has a way of taking away the 'lack of talent' view. A good QB benefits the players around him more so than the other way around.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Basically the only reason the Jets did anything was McCown.  How can anyone be so sure it's Morton responsible for that and not Bates?  That's what I don't understand.  Yes the offense overachieved.  But they overachieved because of McCown.  Not because schematically they schooled people.

I'm not saying I know it was Bates who got the most out of McCown.  I don't know.  Maybe it was Morton.  It could just as easily been Bates though too 

Well for one thing mccown played better than he ever has before.  Where was this play the last 15 years?

Also if people are going to take this tact then it's going to follow you around.  Next time you make any comment about oc we better 1st speculate that any success or failures he has had is due to his QB and QB coach.

Todd Haley?  Well he had big ben and the new pitt oc who used to be the Qb coach.  Guess haley ain't that good.

3 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

In defense of Morton, have you ever heard Robbie Anderson speak? Guy can't string 5 words together to save his life. Guy seems dumber than a box of rocks. He's a decent WR but I wouldn't exactly take his feelings on who should be OC to heart. 

That's a whole other talking point, but in a nutshell, you don't have to be book smart to be football smart.

Thats not the point anyway.  I don't care if he has the IQ of a 3rd grader. I'll admit maybe I'm reading too much into it(even though I don't think I am), but that shows he doesn't respect Morton.  Even people that can't speak a sentence fluently understand the concept of respect and it's importance.  Once a coach loses the respect of their players, they are done.  It's that simple.   

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

A legit QB has a way of taking away the 'lack of talent' view. A good QB benefits the players around him more so than the other way around.

So Mccown is a good Qb after 15 years of being a jag.  Too bad he did not rise up the offenses of the other half dozen teams he played for before the jets.

I will say this then, the jets had better be doing everything they can to sign mccown for a couple more years now that we know just how good he is.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is laughable what Morton had to work with. We probably had the last ranked offense going into the season. We finished 25th ? But before Petty I’d say we were bellow 20th. It was the D who got all the draft picks, FAs. They were suppose to be pretty decent. Now tell me which unit under achieved, and which over achieved ? Todd Bowles oversees the Defense. He gets to keep his job for the D grossly under achieving, the guy who over achieves gets canned.  

Let's be fair. It's a combination of a good OC with talented offensive players. To grade Morton off one year with that roster is impossible. Just a scapegoat for the two headed morons who put together the offensive roster. Maybe they start putting some talent around whoever the new OC is. 

At this point these two have no leash w me. They have a huge hole to dig out of. Can it be done, yeah. Do I have faith, no, not really.

Archived