JETS FIRE OC JOHN MORTON (MERGED)

JetFreak89

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

This firing wasnt based on production. 

True. 

I guess the real question for me, if we are to believe that Bowles was not 100% on the Morton hiring to begin with, what position ultimately did have the final say there? And that brings other questions to mind then.

The logical assumption is that it was a Macc final say. Which let's you know that6 Bowles does NOT have final say on his staff. Which, if that is true, is there disharmony between those 2 then? 

Lots of suppositions here, so it all has to be taken with a grain of salt.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

True. 

I guess the real question for me, if we are to believe that Bowles was not 100% on the Morton hiring to begin with, what position ultimately did have the final say there? And that brings other questions to mind then.

The logical assumption is that it was a Macc final say. Which let's you know that6 Bowles does NOT have final say on his staff. Which, if that is true, is there disharmony between those 2 then? 

Lots of suppositions here, so it all has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I think it's more that Morton wasn't Bowles' first choice, but when Philly turned down our approaches to DeFillipo he had to hire someone and Morton was the best available candidate.

Now they see one, maybe more, candidate hit the market and they want to move on and do it fast. Wouldn't be surprised to hear Haley gets an interview in the next day or so. And if Philly lose this weekend then we can approach about DeFillipo again. New guy gets announced early / mid next week.

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

What continuity should they looking to maintain on offense? Are they stunting the growth of the team’s young offensive stars? 

Do you think it’s good that we’re getting our third OC in four years while the idiot coach and idiot GM both got extensions?

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Do you think it’s good that we’re getting our third OC in four years while the idiot coach and idiot GM both got extensions?

Yes. They should only keep OCs whose offenses finish in the top ten during their one year tryout. 

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

It sounds like they've given up on him and Petty. So the continuity issue is kind of moot.

Yeah and when they give up on the next crop the continuity issue will be moot again. Eventually they'll figure out the real problem, fire Bowles and start over yet again - its the the Jet circle of death. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Being presumptive

Not at all. Bowles has shown no ability to work cohesively with his players and staff. You'll hear quotes that the players love him and NFL insiders love him. But that's easy when they cut all the dissenters. Its like a boss firing every employee that he doesn't get along with and yet still can't produce - at some point someone up above will realize maybe that boss is the issue. 

I'm not saying Bowels is bad person , I'm saying maybe he's a terrible coach . 

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

With what we were getting from McCown/Morton before he went down and for Bowles to complain about the offense while his defense was failing is absurd.

BTW, can anyone answer for me why Morton wasn't released on black Monday?  Bowles is a weasel in my book.    

Interesting analogy. But in fact after reading this, comparing Bowles to a weasel does them disservice. They are amazing creatures. Bowles is nowhere as intelligent, fierce or courageous as the weasel. One thing he definitely has in common is #5 in this article ‘They Deploy Stink Bombs’. We will have to find an another animal that’s apropos to compare Bowles to. 

http://mentalfloss.com/article/64193/7-fierce-facts-about-weasels

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Anderson had 114 targets this season. Gonna go out on a limb and say he won’t top that ever again as a Jet. Anderson’s a guy that’s always going to be complaining.

In a sense though, a. that's typical for a primo WR, and b. he was the most effective offensive tool on the team. Should not he be getting the ball as much as possible, especially since Enuwa got hurt? Shed no tears for Morton, but he's catching hell because he tried to utilize the jets' best deep threat rather than AGAIN handing off between the tackles  to the broke down Forte, never was Powell and rookie McGuire? Despite being behind in many of their games, Jets inexplicably passed the ball less than only 6 other teams. More proof Bowles has NO IDEA what the hell he is doing.   

Also, NFL teams now care if players like the coaches? Get that it's more pleasant to go to work where people et along. But Haley barely spoke to Rothlisberger and the Steelers scored points like a pinball machine. Liking is nice, but as in many walks of life, it's not required to succeed. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Not at all. Bowles has shown no ability to work cohesively with his players and staff. You'll hear quotes that the players love him and NFL insiders love him. But that's easy when they cut all the dissenters. Its like a boss firing every employee that he doesn't get along with and yet still can't produce - at some point someone up above will realize maybe that boss is the issue. 

The problem is that the dissenters have done nothing when they left, and the Jets have been statistically better than last year. Look it up

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

In a sense though, a. that's typical for a primo WR, and b. he was the most effective offensive tool on the team. Should not he be getting the ball as much as possible, especially since Enuwa got hurt? Shed no tears for Morton, but he's catching hell because he tried to utilize the jets' best deep threat rather than AGAIN handing off between the tackles  to the broke down Forte, never was Powell and rookie McGuire? Despite being behind in many of their games, Jets inexplicably passed the ball less than only 6 other teams. More proof Bowles has NO IDEA what the hell he is doing. 

All about situation IMO. If you're doing that down at the goal line, you deserve flack.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem is that the dissenters have done nothing when they left, and the Jets have been statistically better than last year. Look it up

I want a HC that can get the most out of all of his players , not just the ones that like him.

10 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

So he was "In over his head"? What does that say about the evaluation process that hired him?

The great Matt Forte was instrumental in evaluating the OC?

Upgrade an area of deficiency? What about the DC and Kacy Rogers? I guess if you are a FOB (friend of Bowles) you get a free pass.

If he "lacked creativity" or "got cute" where was the head coach? Did he do anything then and there to address these issues? Can you picture any good NFL Head coach ever being quiet if he disagreed with his OC? Heck, some have taken playcalling away for OCs when it got heated.

Oh, right, Bowles has no clue. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

All about situation IMO. If you're doing that down at the goal line, you deserve flack.

Now its your turn to look at the statistics. The Panthers had one of the worst defenses allowing TD passes , the Jets were among the leagues dwellers in rushing TD's from 1st and goal situations. Its a passing league , with PI's called at the drop of a hat. Was it so off the wall to want to pass the ball at the goal line ??

10 hours ago, HessStation said:

It's such an utter sh*tfest I don't know how anyone can defend it. It's complete ineptitude. Some people are just loco for the Jets. These two have to hit some big home runs like, really fast to pull out of this massive black hole 

Pretty much.  I think they can definitely help themselves this offseason if they actually can get a few things right via draft + FA, they have enough resources but this thing is still a least 3 season away with getting everything right moving forward.

The scary part is, by the looks of it, they havent even found a player worthy of truly demanding that second contract.  Like, what player can the just not live without?  The foundation is so weak, they legit are going to be looking for more DL, LB'ers and probably Safeties over the next 3-4 years because they can all be upgraded significantly.  

Whether you're a fan of Jamal Adams or not, he's not a building block type player, just like Leo isnt either, unfortunately.  So literally, the Jets dont have a single piece where you're like, yeah, this is something to build around! 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

If he "lacked creativity" or "got cute" where was the head coach? Did he do anything then and there to address these issues? Can you picture any good NFL Head coach ever being quiet if he disagreed with his OC? Heck, some have taken playcalling away for OCs when it got heated.

Oh, right, Bowles has no clue. 

If he has no knowledge of offense, I would prefer he keep his hands off.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

This wording makes it seem that you want a "Bronx Zoo" situation

Bronx Zoo, from 1976 through 1981, won 4 pennants and 2 World Series championships along with another division title. We should have such division and dislike. Getting along and being nice to each other is overrated, and probably how NOBODY loses their sheet at the draft table when someone proposes taking any safety over Deshaun Watson. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Now its your turn to look at the statistics. The Panthers had one of the worst defenses allowing TD passes , the Jets were among the leagues dwellers in rushing TD's from 1st and goal situations. Its a passing league , with PI's called at the drop of a hat. Was it so off the wall to want to pass the ball at the goal line ??

Could that be because they didn't do it, so it was self afflicting?

The Jets do not have Gronk.

I wish ownership and some fans would hold our god awful gm and our terrible coach to the same standard they held our first year OC to. Some of the most glaring mistakes as far as coaching goes were all on bowles who has no idea how to manage the clock for starters and cant manage the players either-top starts not going to meetings get called leaders and captain.

I laughed when the jets sent me my ticket re new bill-I see they want in by March 1st before we blow another draft and pass on a franchise qb

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This wording makes it seem that you want a "Bronx Zoo" situation

Again I want a coach who holds all players accountable and demands the best out of them. It took two seasons for him to finally sit Mo who by accounts was late to several meetings and played only when he wanted to. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again I want a coach who holds all players accountable and demands the best out of them. It took two seasons for him to finally sit Mo who by accounts was late to several meetings and played only when he wanted to. 

To me the Mo situation reminds me of the Giants and OBJ. His play put makeup on his infractions. When his play went downhill, then the behavior cant be tolerated. It's not right, but that's what it is

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

To me the Mo situation reminds me of the Giants and OBJ. His play put makeup on his infractions. When his play went downhill, then the behavior cant be tolerated. It's not right, but that's what it is

Find me a sport/team/company where production doesn't trump everything and anything. Teams will turn a blind eye to a lot of things, but once that production goes away, adios muchacho.

Ex: steroids in baseball, deflate-gate, etc. -- Just don't get caught!

29 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You do understand the difference between disagreeing with your boss and usurping his authority, right? Bowles didn't let him go because Morton had a different view. No, he let him go because he did not follow Bowles directives. Perhaps Bowles should consider going the Bellichick route of having fewer coaches. It is more productive in that the HC is better able to keep control of message and implementing game plans.

He added that smaller coaching staffs also allow his game plans to be implemented easier without compromising his vision, keeping everyone on the team pulling in the same direction.

“From a ‘getting everybody on the same page’ standpoint – which is critical – the fewer people you have to manage, the easier it is to get everybody on the same page,” said Belichick. “So if you’re talking to 10 people, it’s hard to get all 10 people doing the same thing or doing the right thing. Now you make that number 20 instead of 10, it’s even more difficult.

“If you have five people supervising another 15 people, now you have another layer there where you’re not dealing directly with everybody, and now you’re somewhat dependent on other people to relay the message the way you want it done and to monitor it that way. Certainly, there’s a degree of that, but as much of that I can eliminate, I think works better for me.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/15/bill-belichick-patriots-coaching-staff-interview/

Archived